PDA

View Full Version : Some Epic Spells

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-23, 10:51 PM
I got bored and after reading the gaming thread about epic spells decided to make a few that I would allowed in game and that I don't believe are too powerful or game breaking.

Everyone of these expects a level 25 wizard casting with 40 Int. The SR and Save bonuses are based on the Three-Headed Sirrush and with the expectation of them succeeding in all cases except a natural 20. I added in a bit of leeway with this but they should work almost all the time on creatures with a CR up to 30.

Faithful Protector

Faithful Protector
Conjuration (Summoning)
Spellcraft DC: 65
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 75 ft.
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: 40 rounds (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)

To Develop: 585,000 gp; 12 days; 23,400 XP.
Seeds:[/b summoning (DC 14).
[b]Factors: all summoning of Magical Beasts (+10 DC), increase maximum CR of summoned creature to 30(+56 DC), Contingency (+25 DC), +20 to DC of subject’s save (+40 DC), +20 to CL check to overcome SR (+40 DC).
Pre-Mitigation DC: 187
Mitigating factor: increase casting time to 10 minutes (-20 DC), Burn 12,200 XP.

When this spell is cast the caster gains the ability to summon 1 magical beast of up to CR 30 at will as a standard action. The beast appears at a location of the casters choice that is within 75 feet of the caster. It will obey the casters orders and will last for 40 rounds.

XP Cost: 12,200 XP.

This is intended to be a wizards guardian, protecting him when attacked. It's a contingency so you can cast it in the morning and keep it until you need it (potentially weeks later). The good thing is summoned creatures don't affect party ECL and don't get XP. This means that you can make up the XP lost through using this spell is generally recovered or exceed by the XP reward for the encounter.

A CR 25 challenge gives 68,400 XP. So even split 4 ways you make 4,900 XP over that required for the spell.

Unwanted Displacement

Unwanted Displacement [ritual]
Conjuration [Teleportation]
Spellcraft DC: 35
Casting Time: 5 days, 10 minutes
Range: 300 ft.
Target: Creature or object weighing up to 1,000 lb.
Duration: Permanent until discharged and then Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 315,000 gp; 7 days; 12,600 XP.
Seeds: transport (DC 27).
Factors: unwilling target (+4 DC), increase range from touch (+4 DC), contingency (+28 DC), +20 to CL checks to overcome SR (+40 DC), +20 to Save DC (+40 DC).
Base DC Pre-Mitigation: 143
Mitigating factor: Increase casting time to 10 minutes (-20 DC), eight casters contributing 5th level spell slots (-88 DC)

Once this spell is cast a contingency goes into effect on the caster. From that point on the caster can expend the contingency at any point at will as a free action, targeting a creature of his choice within a range of 300 feet. At this time the caster chooses the location that the target is teleported to.

This is supposed to be a spell used against creatures that are just to much for you. Or to capture a target. Send a creature to the Positive Energy Plane and they explode in a while unless they can plane shift. I know its a ritual but getting 8 level 9 casters to contribute slots is easy. If you have to you can use Programmed Amnesia (9th level spell from SC) to make them your Thralls.

Beast Cage

Beast Cage [ritual]
Abjuration
Spellcraft DC: 22
Casting Time: 100 days, 10 minutes
Range: 75 feet
Target: 5 foot square within 75 feet
Area: 40 foot radius, centered on target square
Duration: Permanent (D)
Saving Throw: None
To Develop: 198,000 gp; 4 days; 7,920 XP.
Seed: ward (DC 14).
Factor: change touch to target (+4 DC), change area to 20 foot radius (+2 DC), Increase area by 100% (+4 DC), +20 to overcome check for SR (+40 DC), Dismissible by the caster (+2 DC), permanent (x5 DC)
Base DC Pre-Mitigation: 330
Mitigating factor: increase casting time to 10 minutes (-20), eight other casters contributing 5th level slots (-88 DC), increase casting time to 100 days (-200 DC)

You create a permanent ward to either contain or keep out creatures of a specific type. The creature type is chosen when the spell is cast. Creatures of the selected type can not approach within 5 feet of the ward.

Beast Cage is supposed to be a general prison and shield. Combine it with forbidance or dimensional lock to keep things that can teleport inside. This is made to go with Unwanted Displacement and the next XP spell. Again, the ritual mitigation is minimal and hardly broken or cheesy.

Enslave

Enslave (Ritual)
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Spellcraft DC: 65
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 100 days, 10 miniutes
Range: 75 ft.
Target: One living creature
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates
To Develop: 585,000 GP; 12 days; 23,400 XP.
Seed: compel (DC 19).
Factors: unreasonable compulsion (+10 DC), +20 to CL check to overcome SR (+40 DC), +20 to save DC (+40 DC), permanent (×5 DC).
Base DC Pre-Mitigation: 545
Mitigating factors: Increase Casting Time to 10 minutes (-20 DC), Increase Casting Time to 100 Days (-200 DC), Eight casters contributing 5th level slots (-88 DC), Burn 17,200 XP (-172 DC)

The character makes a permanent thrall of any living creature. The character establishes a telepathic link with the subject’s mind. If the creature has a language, the character can generally force the subject to perform as he or she desires, within the limits of its abilities. If the creature has no language, the character can communicate only basic commands. The character knows what the subject is experiencing, but does not receive direct sensory input from it. Even clearly unreasonable or suicidal orders are followed, to the extent that a creature dominated by this spell will fall over dead on command. Protection from evil or a similar spell can prevent the character from exercising control or using the telepathic link while the subject is so protected, but it does not prevent the establishment of enslave or dispel it.

XP Cost: Each participant burns 2,150 XP.

Enslave is based on the Epic Spell made by WotC that goes by the same name. Mine is slightly more powerful and pumps the SR and Saves enough to be effective on epic creatures. The 100 day casting time is why we have beast cage above. You put the creature to be enslaved into the cage with Unwanted Displacement and then you spend the next hundred days casting Enslave.

So, questions? Comments? Concerns? Feedback?

And let me know if you would allow them in your games.

They are long term and a pain to use but I figure that it's fair for the player to get 1 more thrall per year, each year. So after a decade or so the wizard with these spells will have a very nice army, but it would take him a while to get it and the creatures do die eventually.

You can only get 3 thralls per year (at most) which is a fairly ncie limit.

And the reason I made all of these was I wanted a way to get a Three-Headed Sirrush or a Sirrush as a guard animal.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery5a/44196_C5_sirrush.jpg
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/sirrush.htm

Poppatomus
2007-05-24, 12:30 AM
those are all extremely good. I particularly like how they all come together in support of that final spell.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-24, 12:51 PM
Well, any other thoughts?

DracoDei
2007-05-24, 03:44 PM
Might want to carefully consider putting the standard boilerplate about "When used to summon and Evil creature this is an Evil spell..." etc on the summoning one. That way you at least can't have a good caster calling up a Pit Fiend with 20 levels of Sorcerer without violating his alignment.

Please forgive me if the following is 'old hat', I am not very familiar with Epic Level:
Speaking of which... If one does Binding and then uses Enslave on the afforementioned Pit Fiend one can actually turn a profit XP wise getting it to cast Wish for the group. Four Wishes split amoung your assistants, and 9 for yourself and that pays it back including the XP cost to research (assuming the Pit Fiend fails its save the first time you cast). With an average of 20,000 XPs to use (halfway from CR 40 to 41, ASSUMING you AREN'T using an ECL for it would would probably put it slightly higher) you would have to use it as a combatant in the middle to let it build up more XPs... Hmmm... but in that case why aren't you fighting and getting the XPs yourself? I guess if the opponents are too powerful or too weak then it might make more sense to send the Pit-Fiend in.

Draken
2007-05-24, 05:05 PM
First of all a Pit Fiend with 20 Sorcerer levels is a CR 40 creature, so he cant be summoned.

Second: I don't know if that's what you meant but.

Wish doesn't give EXP.

Third: The Enslave spell takes a week to cast, binding lasts so much?

And also: An enslaved Sorcerer 20 Pit Fiend can fight for you, and become effectively a Cohort, but... Seriously, what kind of mad DM would allow that, at least allow it without doing something like... Adding +10 to the ECL of the group, and besides, the guy can cast wish (and maybe epic spells hinself), and it takes three months (plus a little) to cast Enslave, see my point?

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-24, 06:11 PM
Yeah, you couldn't enslave a Pit Fiend with sorcerer levels.

You could get a Solar though. It would be a pain keeping it for the 100 days required to cast Enslave though. The Beast Cage spell doesn't protect those outside of it from attack though. Well it stops natural attacks but not spells or attacks by weapons

Making a ward to stop all spells is MUCH harder (DC goes up by 20 per spell level, 100 if its permanent).

To block all non epic magic would require you adding 800 to the unmitigated DC.

So it would require lots of other casters, which makes sense thematically.

Beast Cage was made to hold primarily melee foe's and was intended to not really be able to hold other high level casters with any reliability. It stops the target from getting within 5 feet of the edge of the spell and stops them from using natural attacks on anything outside the range,

Poppatomus
2007-05-24, 06:20 PM
I'm actually planning a mid level campaign right now, and Think I might use this series of spells as the background plot against which the PC's are progressing. (with the end summon being the avatar of one of the gods, as magic increases in the world). Having some basic rules for it is making it much easier to plan.

Thanks emperor.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-24, 06:28 PM
Your welcome.

I have a few others I'm working on as well, buffs mostly.

A permanent epic mage armor, a permanent, suppressible, epic greater invisibility, and a city killer (used more as a plot point than anything).

Oh and a force shield type spell.

Draken
2007-05-24, 08:00 PM
I tried to use Spell Seed Energy: Climate, to make a spell that emulated the Winter of Norse Mithology, Fimbul, a spell to cover a planet and last for 3 years.

I needeed to use a special modifier to change time of 20 hours to 1 year (+150 DC, I used, also to emulate a global spell i used a special modifier of +200), and then use the normal time modifier.

If i had used the normal modifier only, it would have a 1680 DC, disregarding rituals.

The way i did, well about 700 DC, with no rituals.

And the damn spell has no real use, other than plotline.

Making epic spells is hard... Even a "miserable" Origin of Species: Humans has a base (no reductors) DC of 240.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-24, 08:39 PM
I tried to use Spell Seed Energy: Climate, to make a spell that emulated the Winter of Norse Mithology, Fimbul, a spell to cover a planet and last for 3 years.

I needeed to use a special modifier to change time of 20 hours to 1 year (+150 DC, I used, also to emulate a global spell i used a special modifier of +200), and then use the normal time modifier.

If i had used the normal modifier only, it would have a 1680 DC, disregarding rituals.

The way i did, well about 700 DC, with no rituals.

And the damn spell has no real use, other than plotline.

Making epic spells is hard... Even a "miserable" Origin of Species: Humans has a base (no reductors) DC of 240.

I think you failed to account for the weird epic stacking rules.

To increase the time from 20 hours to 3 years is only +22 to the DC. They don't stack like most of the rest of the game.

To increase the AoE to worldwide is another +22 to the DC.

So your winter spell is actually only a DC 69 spell pre-mitigation.

And if you go by the stacking rules that the rest of the game uses then the DC would be 3,465 (pre-mitigation).

+1440 for the time increase
+2000 for the range
25 Base

I used 400 day years and a planetary radius of 4,000 miles for easy of calculation.

---
As written epic spell modifiers appear in order and stack with all previous modifiers.

Increase the range by 100%, apply 5 times in succession is how the Epic rules work.
NOT
Increase the range by 500%.

-----
Only thing in the game that stacks like that but its how they work.

Draken
2007-05-24, 09:15 PM
If that's the case...

I blame the translation, it probably messed up the way i understood.

Actualy, revewing the text there is not a vry accurate rule in the Portuguese Version of the Epic Level Handbook.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-24, 09:16 PM
Just use the www.d20srd.org one. It's fairly accurate.