PDA

View Full Version : Master of Masks Revamped

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-23, 11:07 PM
Some of you may remember me asking about the Master of Masks on the Gaming Forums. I hope this is not the case, as I ended up asking it almost immediately after someone else asked basically the same questions without my realizing it. Generally, though, I heard quite a few statements regarding the Master of Masks' weakness, especially when compared to other Jack-of-all-Trades classes. Hell, I remember someone saying it was a better idea to make a sorceror/wizard and just claim your powers came from masks you wore.

So, here's my little fix to the poor thing, which I really do like quite a bit.

Master of Masks, New and (Hopefully) Improved
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells|Masks Known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Persona Masks|+1 level of existing spellcasting class|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|--|+1 level of existing spellcasting class|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3| 1st Favored Face|--|

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|--|+1 level of existing spellcasting class|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|--|+1 level of existing spellcasting class|

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|--|--|

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|--|+1 level of existing spellcasting class|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|
+6|--|+1 level of existing spellcasting class|

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|2nd Favored Face|--|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|--|+1 level of existing spellcasting class|
7[/table]

Persona Masks: This remains pretty much unaltered. I'd like to put all the masks and exactly what Persona Masks *DOES*, but that might not be in adherence to the OGL thing. Or whatever the abbreviation is. However, all of the information is also given in the Complete Scoundrel excerpt on wizards.com. Should I post want I'd like to be able to post?

Favored Face: At 3rd and 9th level, the Master of Masks can choose one of the masks in his repertoire as a "Favored Face." The benefits he reaps while wearing that mask is increased greatly. Unfortunately, choosing this benefit narrows the focus of the Master of Masks, and he must strike a mask from his repertoire. He may regain the ability to use this mask when he gains another mask known. This means that if a Master of Masks chooses one Favored Face, then he will only be able to use 6 masks, instead of the 7 normally allowed, and when a Master of Masks chooses two, that number lowers to five. In the following spoiler is what choosing each Mask as a Favored Face does to it:

Archmage--Can use each spell-like ability twice per day instead of once.
Assassin--Sneak-attack damage doubled.
Demon--Can use Summon Monster [#] twice per day instead of once.
Dragon--Gains an extra breath weapon use at 4th, 7th, and 10th (for a total of 6 uses at 10th).
Faceless--Competences bonus on saves against mind-effecting spells and abilities doubled. The DC of the Faceless's mask nondetection-like effect is 15 + 1.5x your Master of Masks level instead of 15 + your Master of Masks level. So if you were a 4th level Master of Masks with Faceless as a Favored Face, the DC against the nondetection would be 21.
Gladiator--Competence bonus to attack and weapon damage rolls doubled.
High Priest--Can use each spell-like ability twice per day instead of once.
Jester--Competence bonus to the skills that the Jester Mask gives a bonus to doubled.
Lich--Can use each spell-like ability twice per day instead of once.
Lord--Can use each spell-like ability twice per day instead of once. Your competence bonus to Diplomacy and Gather Information are +3 instead of +2 at 1st level, +6 instead of +4 at 4th, +9 instead of +6 at 7th, and +12 instead of +8 at 10th.
Savage--Your natural claw attacks deal 1d6 damage instead of 1d4 at 1st level, 1d8 instead of 1d6 at 4th, 2d6 instead of 1d8 at 7th, and 2d8 instead of 2d6 at 10th.

Thoughts? Comments? Still underpowered and a poor choice? Maybe a little bit overpowered now?

Thanks in advance for any feedback that may come my way. :smallbiggrin: