PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Alternate take on the Deck of Many Things

Zanthy1
2015-10-19, 12:45 PM
I have a reputation among my gaming buddies as being a tough DM. This being that I have the highest Kill rate of PCs and most of my encounters leave the party battered and torn. The most recent deaths were part of a strange side plot, involving these special potions. There were 13 different color potions, and they functioned like a Deck of Many Things. Each character could only drink 1 a day, and the effects were unknown until consumed. Most were positive, but some were bad. Here they are:

Gray: The character who drank it was immediately summoned to the Abyssal Plane and was turned by a Balor into an evil minion. He was then sent back with a couple missions. First, procure a powerful magic artifact of the characters choice and offer it up as a sacrifice. Second, desecrate the church of their previous deity. Third, kill one of the other PCs using a vial of special poison, Save or die Constitution DC of 20. On a failed save, the body would be immediately taken to the Balor and consumed.

Silver: The drinker gained 4 bonus natural armor AC permanently, but also took double damage from magic spells.

Gold: The drinker received 1d12 x 1000 gold coins. (Where they are playing there aren;t many magical items and such that they could buy, but they could use this to purchase investments, like an inn or something).

Brown: All magic within 60ft of the drinker immediately and permanently is negated, turning all magical items into mundane versions. All spell casters require a long rest before being able to cast spells again.

Orange: Gain a bonus feat

Purple: Drinker loses 1d4+1 point from their highest ability score. This cannot be undone, but they can be regained.

Black: Player gets the ability to summon an incredibly powerful NPC (who gave them the potions) and essentially get his services for one wish of their choice (kill something, answer questions, their choice).

White: When the drinker hits 0 Hit points, their body is immediately disintegrated. There is no saving throw.

Pink: Similar to the White but upon hitting 0 Hit points, the drinker immediately is fully restored, and all their spells/abilities come back.

Green: The drinker grows insectoid wings and gains a fly speed equal to their walking speed.

Red: Drinker gains 40 hit points

Yellow: Drinker levels up now

Blue: The players becomes psionically awoken. They can perform minor telekinesis, controlling objects weighing under 5 lbs, and cannot make attacks with it. They can do this twice per short rest. They can also use the Knock Back power once per long rest, which forcibly pushes All creatures 15 ft away from the caster, dealing 3d4 damage plus 1d4 for every target they may fall in to.

In the campaign where this was introduced, all the potions have been drunk already, and 2 of the original characters are already dead. I would love to hear the communities feedback on these, and if you would like to hear what happened with each, I would be more than happy to share the stories.

Thanks!

AuraTwilight
2015-10-19, 03:11 PM
The negatives far outweigh the positives by an immense margin. I mean, three of these are borderline character deaths in addition to the one that IS.

Safety Sword
2015-10-19, 08:46 PM
I really hope the characters were given the chance to get clues and research the powers of the potions.

Such character altering items should be very carefully controlled.

Nifft
2015-10-19, 08:51 PM
Even the core Deck of Many Things is basically a Deck of Many New Characters.

Allowing it at all -- and presenting it as a benefit rather than a lethal trap -- is already killer DM behavior.

IMHO you don't really need to secretly add arsenic into the cyanide capsules.

Atalas
2015-10-19, 09:22 PM
that stuff is harsh. and this is coming from someone's whose let some casual watchers become a sentient deck of many things who can offer draws upon every level up to each player. And the controller of said deck doesn't really like any of the players, or just likes to mess with them.