PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Weapon Properties

sophontteks
2015-10-19, 01:42 PM
In order to encourage more diverse builds, make weapons more interesting, and make dex and strength compliments, I started to work on weapon additional weapon properties. Most of which were stolen straight from equivalent feats.

Please provide any advice or concerns as you wish to help me provide a fair and balanced game that isn't bogged down by rules, but still respecting the need for more diverse and interesting weapons and armor. This all sounds good in my head, but I could be missing some big things here, and I'd love to know what they are before I start a game.

Weapons
Weapon finesse is a weapon property, and a fairly strong one as we have already witnessed with all the dex builds. I feel that other previous feats should receive the same treatment.

Two-hand weapons The greataxe, greatsword, maul, and glaive all receive cleave as a weapon property.
This is the first half of the GWM feat available for free with all two-handed weapons. The second half of this feat will be moved to savage attacker, which is kind of weak on its own.

Polearms
The halberd, and pike will receive the second half of polearm mastery for free, allowing it to reaction check anyone moving within its range. Additionally they can be braced against a charge as an action, giving this reaction check advantage.
The second half of the feat will cease to exist because it doesn't entirely make any sense.

Additionally, there will be a long-spear as a martial weapon. It is a 1d6 weapon with reach along with the property mentioned above. I've always resented being unable to wield a reach weapon with a shield as its been a common fighting style, and I don't think I'm alone.

Finally, all reach weapons have disadvantage against targets within 5 feet. In case you were wondering why anyone would use a 1 handed weapon.

Armor
Armor in the game seems to exist solely to give AC to players without dexterity. Really armor should provide much greater advantage to those who can use it, regardless of their ability scores. Again, its in the feats.

Medium Armor- All medium armor is granted +3 dexterity AC. There is no longer a way to remove stealth disadvantage. Those who want to stealth will lose 1 ac and go with breastplate.
Now even dex characters will take up medium armor if they have the option.

Heavy armor- Heavy armor should be thought of as a situational perk available to those with proficiency in it. Quite simply, the disadvantages are designed to heavily discourage players from using it at all unless the situation calls for it.
First and most awesomely, heavy armor will automatically provide damage resistance just like its feat.
Next, heavy armor provides a +1 dexterity bonus, and dexterity penalties do apply. Lets end this immobile tank trope.

Now the kicker,
Heavy armor gives a fatigue penalty every day it is worn, and every night it is worn while sleeping.
Heavy armor can not be donned without assistance.
Heavy armor gives disadvantage to all dexterity skills, and dexterity ability check.
Heavy armor gives disadvantage on perception. (hard to see and hear).
Heavy armor gives disadvantage on athletics checks when used for climbing, jumping, or swimming.
Additionally, the character can not swim what-so-ever.

Hopeful result
STR characters will want some dex for AC. They can no longer dump it and just wear full plate like its a silk shirt.

DEX characters will lose out on some cool abilities STR characters have access to for free, but medium armor is more attractive to them now if they have the proficiency.

Rolling balanced characters will be more rewarding.

Rogues and bards may take strength as a dump stat, and they won't be punished, but strength options have more oomph to them making strength dumping less attractive overall. Valor bards medium armor proficiency gets a buff.

Weapons are more diverse. Fighters aren't forced to pick one weapon category due to limited feats. A fighter can now switch fighting styles as the situation demands.

Kryx
2015-10-19, 03:25 PM
Note: I don't agree on the premise that Str is weaker than Dex, but we should leave that discussion Rebalancing STR vs DEX (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?452023-Rebalancing-STR-vs-DEX)

I find this idea interesting. But I have to ask again why you don't make it apply to everything.

Cleave (Greataxe, Greatsword, Maul, Bardiche)
Polearm Provoke (Glaive, Halberd, Pike)
Crossbow Expert remains a feat
Charger becomes a default option anyone can use
Dual Wielder should then be automatic (I swap feat and fighting style, so size+draw two non-light weapons should be the fighting style (+2 dmg) and stat+draw 2 light weapons should be automatic). Keep +1 AC as a feat that works with TWF with +1 dex
Shield Master's bonus action should be automatically available. The rest should be part of a feat (with +1 stat)

Some strangeness:

Bardiche is a better use case for reach + Cleave. See http://www.weapons-universe.com/Swords/Polearms.jpg
Longspear in PF has reach, but its 2 handed and does 1d8. I would instead suggest that Longspear has Lunge. Lunge gives the player reach on his turn only.

I don't necessarily like it, but my math tells me that Polearm Bonus must remain a feat or Polearm is not competitive with GWM. I'll have to play with the math.

I agree that all medium armor should grant +3 dex.

N810
2015-10-19, 03:41 PM
IF medium armor gives +3 dex, what would I get for unarmored defense ? :smallconfused:

Kryx
2015-10-19, 03:54 PM
IF medium armor gives +3 dex, what would I get for unarmored defense ? :smallconfused:
Unarmored defense doesn't change - it doesn't need a buff. Medium was just a bad choice by default. A Babarian is still rarely going to use Dex.

Firechanter
2015-10-19, 04:33 PM
Some of your ideas may be worth exploring, but this...

Heavy armor gives a fatigue penalty every day it is worn, and every night it is worn while sleeping.

This is terrible. The way Fatigue/Exhaustion works in 5E, you are essentially making it impossible for PCs to use Heavy Armour. The only way around this would be to take a day of downtime every other day. In any campaign where this is possible, the limitation is meaningless, and where it isn't possible, Heavy Armour equals suicide.

CNagy
2015-10-19, 05:23 PM
I could see doing this for a featless game, but otherwise I don't know.

The idea that heavy armor gives disadvantage to all Dex-related checks is rather contradictory to letting heavy armor have a +1 max Dex bonus. Such a sweeping disadvantage is a pretty big deal.

N810
2015-10-20, 07:47 AM
So... monks and barbarians should wear medium armor if they need to be more agile ???

hymer
2015-10-20, 10:03 AM
This is terrible. The way Fatigue/Exhaustion works in 5E, you are essentially making it impossible for PCs to use Heavy Armour. The only way around this would be to take a day of downtime every other day. In any campaign where this is possible, the limitation is meaningless, and where it isn't possible, Heavy Armour equals suicide.

Don't you recover one level of exhaustion after a long rest? So you could have one level by the end of the day, and be fresh again the next day. But you'd have to be extra wary of exhaustion if you're a heavy armour user.