PDA

View Full Version : [Homebrew Prestige Class] Dashing Duelist

MrUberGr
2015-10-19, 01:53 PM
A friend of mine made this prestige class. Envisioned as some fancy rapier wielding dandy, he added Charisma as a prerequisite. However we're having trouble thinking of some sort of 5th level feature including charisma.

One was some sort of wisdom save vs DC at the start of the combat allowing the Dashing Duelist to play a turn before everyone else, but it would have to be a group check for the enemies were if at least half of them fail only does he get the extra turn.

Anyway, looking forward to some ideas!

Requirements
Dex 13
Cha 13
Character level 5
Fighting style: Duelist

Hit dice: 1d8
Hit points per level: 5 + con modifier

Proficiencies:
Saving throws: none
Skills: Acrobatics

Equipment: special rapier (flavor)

Level 1 : Asi
Level 2 : Extra attack
Level 3 : Riposte; when you are targeted by a melee weapon attack and your opponent misses, you can use your reaction and make a single melee weapon attack against your opponent.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your dexterity modifier.
Level 4 : Asi
Level 5 :

Finieous
2015-10-19, 02:54 PM
So let's see. If I'm taking this for my swashbuckler rogue, levels 6-10, I'm delaying Expertise, Evasion and 2d6 Sneak Attack, and I'm gaining Extra Attack, Riposte, and ASIs at 6 and 9 instead of 8 and 10. I don't really know how you balance this stuff. Extra Attack more than offsets the delay in Sneak Attack dice. Riposte is superb, but is potentially five extra sneak attacks a day better than always-on Evasion and Expertise. Beats me.

I'd probably give a fluffier ability like Know Your Enemy at 5th level, and I'd restrict the Extra Attack to melee. Otherwise, a two-level dip becomes mandatory for Sharpshooter rogues.

Check that: Move Extra Attack to the capstone, otherwise it's pretty broken for fighters. Put the fluffier ability at 2.

Check that, Part Deux: I just noticed the fighting style prereq, which means it's fighter, paladin and ranger only. I'd change that to a requirement that the abilities can only be used with a melee weapon with the Finesse property. Maybe I'm taking the fluff too seriously, but I'd want it to be an option for Dex martials and not for longsword or battle axe types.

Wretchd
2015-10-19, 03:34 PM
So i'm the friend the Op mentions in his post. Just made an account in order to participate in the conversation. I agree that changing the prerequisite requiring a fighting style is a good idea since i also intended to use this on my swashbuckler rogue. Switching extra attack to level 5 also sounds fair, i was thinking about creating a prestige just for my rogue but i guess it should be generally as balanced as it can be since someone else might want to use it as well. If you actually pick the class at level 6 with a swashbuckler rogue you do get the ASIs faster but i also didn't wanna give just one ASI since this way you'd lose one ASI at max level and i don't think that's the point of a prestige class unless it gives you something great in return. Now onto riposte, i do think its pretty good or maybe a little too strong for a rogue but in my mind it's balanced by the fact that it eats your reaction, meaning that you either get uncanny dodge or riposte in a round. Regarding your comment that it's probably a lot better for a rogue to get this prestige instead of his normal features from level 6 to 10, i cannot really disagree, maybe changing the level prerequisite would fix that? Although rogues get almost everything good from 1 to 10 in my opinion so later on it might be even better to get this prestige although it might be a little late i guess. Last but not least, apart from the Know your Enemy feature, do you have any other cool ideas for a fluff feature? Know your Enemy is pretty cool but i don't find it particularly flavorful.

Finieous
2015-10-19, 03:58 PM
So i'm the friend the Op mentions in his post. Just made an account in order to participate in the conversation. I agree that changing the prerequisite requiring a fighting style is a good idea since i also intended to use this on my swashbuckler rogue. Switching extra attack to level 5 also sounds fair, i was thinking about creating a prestige just for my rogue but i guess it should be generally as balanced as it can be since someone else might want to use it as well. If you actually pick the class at level 6 with a swashbuckler rogue you do get the ASIs faster but i also didn't wanna give just one ASI since this way you'd lose one ASI at max level and i don't think that's the point of a prestige class unless it gives you something great in return.

Yeah, I think that's fine.

Now onto riposte, i do think its pretty good or maybe a little too strong for a rogue but in my mind it's balanced by the fact that it eats your reaction, meaning that you either get uncanny dodge or riposte in a round.

Which is awesome! If they hit you, uncanny dodge; if they miss, riposte! That said, I don't know it's too strong. I just don't really know how to balance it against Expertise and Evasion -- also really good abilities. Which means, maybe it's just fine.

Regarding your comment that it's probably a lot better for a rogue to get this prestige instead of his normal features from level 6 to 10, i cannot really disagree, maybe changing the level prerequisite would fix that? Although rogues get almost everything good from 1 to 10 in my opinion so later on it might be even better to get this prestige although it might be a little late i guess.

IMO, if you move Extra Attack to the capstone with the restrictions we discussed, it's not clearly a lot better. It seems pretty balanced, though again, the "balancing" gets pretty abstract when you're talking about abilities like Expertise and Evasion.

Last but not least, apart from the Know your Enemy feature, do you have any other cool ideas for a fluff feature? Know your Enemy is pretty cool but i don't find it particularly flavorful.

It should be some kind of Charisma-based mostly non-combat ability that puts the "Dashing" in "Dashing Duelist." How about a bonus on the Carousing table? ;) Or a Second (henchman) who holds your rapiers, manages duel logistics, and ensures the Code Duello and proper etiquette is followed, etc.?

Wretchd
2015-10-20, 04:17 AM
It should be some kind of Charisma-based mostly non-combat ability that puts the "Dashing" in "Dashing Duelist." How about a bonus on the Carousing table? ;) Or a Second (henchman) who holds your rapiers, manages duel logistics, and ensures the Code Duello and proper etiquette is followed, etc.?

How about this, Debonair: As an action, you can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by a creature’s Wisdom (Insight) check. The creature must be able to hear you, and the two of you must share a language. If you succeed on the check and the creature is not hostile, it is charmed by you for 1 minute. While charmed, it regards you as a friendly acquaintance. If you already have Panache from the Swashbuckler path, the creature does not recognize it was charmed after the duration of the charm is over.