PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to be 23 any ideas of what to do?

Orcus The Vile
2015-10-19, 05:38 PM
So I'm about to be 23. I finally feel like a complete adult.

I have an apartment, a job and responsibilities.

I'm starting to feel that it is the end of young part of life and the beginning of my adult life.

I also realized I never did anything really "fun" for a long time. So any ideas?

Peelee
2015-10-19, 05:51 PM

I'm starting to feel that it is the end of young part of life and the beginning of my adult life.

I also realized I never did anything really "fun" for a long time. So any ideas?

Realize that this is the prime of your life, and that you will look back on this as the halcyon days of your youth.

Also, bend over. Contort your body. Revel in the fact that your back is not a piece of crap that needs a warranty.

Feytalist
2015-10-20, 03:20 AM
Yeah, go do something physical.

Hike up a mountain. Go kayaking, or white river rafting. Go jump out of a plane, or off a bridge (hopefully with something attached to you :smalltongue:)

If you're not a natural exerciser, that type of thing will become noticeably more difficult sooner that you'd think.

thorgrim29
2015-10-20, 10:26 AM
Those are all good ideas, also you could just go balls to the wall and go party in a different city with your friends, Vegas is a popular choice if you're in the area but there are party towns everywhere. You don't have a ton of responsibilities yet, so you can afford to go nuts once in a while (assuming you have enough disposable income I mean, don't put yourself in debt for a party obviously)

danzibr
2015-10-23, 12:58 PM
Realize that this is the prime of your life, and that you will look back on this as the halcyon days of your youth.

Also, bend over. Contort your body. Revel in the fact that your back is not a piece of crap that needs a warranty.
Love that word.

Well, let me reflect for a moment. When I was 23... my wife and I had been together for 6 years (only 2 of which under wedlock). I was in my 3rd year of grad school (got my Master's right before I turned 24). That was the year my son was born. Looking back, sounds pretty peachy. I was stressed as hell though.

Hmm, you already have a job. People say to get your education out of the way early, might want to do that. Oh wait, you specifically want something fun? What do you enjoy? I'm currently having a blast tinkering around with GameMaker: Studio. Oh wait, but that's not physical. Hmm, man, I feel boring.

Fragenstein
2015-10-23, 02:25 PM
Has anyone mentioned starting a retirement plan, yet? Because... seriously... start planning for retirement. It will be the most awesome gift you can possibly give yourself thirty years from now.

Which, believe me, comes up more quickly than you think.

Insane Trystane
2015-10-24, 02:07 PM
I second one of the above. Hike a mountain. It's the absolute best feeling, and going with a group makes it even more fun. I really enjoyed Mt. LaConte in Tennessee, but find something near you. Point is, do something that's hard but that you'll be proud of.

For that matter, do NaNoWriMo this year. Or maybe a mini one. Write something. Make something. Make new friends and keep up with old ones. I'm not very adept socially, but recently I went to a gaming group for the first time in ages and it was the best thing.

Pick something you've always wanted to do and set aside time to do it. Make yourself proud. Call your family. Learn something new. More generic advice that I've had given to me over the past few months I've been out of college. :P That's about all I've got right now, but it's enough rambling for one day. Good luck, and do well!

Bulldog Psion
2015-10-24, 02:32 PM
Definitely do the physical. I just managed to dislocate my left kneecap a month or so ago, and now I'm dubious about doing all the stuff I was putting off "just a little longer." :smalleek:

But please stay safe! :smallsmile:

Orcus The Vile
2015-10-24, 06:10 PM
Wow I really did not expected so much physical stuff. Umm... I guess I need to do it even though I hate exercising... But a martial art can be fun.

I plan to start a violin course and a german course. Thanks for the tips guys.

Also I already finished college and just got my master degree. I'm also about to start working for my doctor degree so my education part is fine.

Grinner
2015-10-24, 07:34 PM
Hmmm....Go to a topless bar? Consume copious amounts of alcohol? Get a puppy?

These seem to be the traditional options. I can't say I'd fault you if you forego them, but there they are.

Anarion
2015-10-24, 09:23 PM
Have you visited Vegas yet? :smallwink:

But really, do something you like. New Years is the time to make yourself better, your birthday is to the time to revel in who you are and all your friends.

Peelee
2015-10-24, 11:55 PM
Wow I really did not expected so much physical stuff. Umm... I guess I need to do it even though I hate exercising... But a martial art can be fun.

I plan to start a violin course and a german course. Thanks for the tips guys.

Also I already finished college and just got my master degree. I'm also about to start working for my doctor degree so my education part is fine.

You know what's a great way to celebrate turning 23? Letting me borrow your degrees. And a copy oh Photoshop.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-25, 03:23 AM

Stop feeling like an adult; that's going to kill you before you're due. You can still do the adult stuff, but don't let your soul get ground to dust by the tedium.

themaque
2015-10-27, 01:50 AM
Get a Passport and travel! See a new country while your young and adventurous! IT won't be cheap, but you have a job and money so save up and do something bold!

Jay R
2015-10-30, 01:04 PM
Here are some fun things that you can do:

1. Get actually involved in your job, so that you care how well you do, and how well the company does, and then do it well.
2. Read books that you really enjoy, just to read them.
3. Learn something interesting.
4. Volunteer to help somewhere - a museum, a zoo, a soup kitchen, etc.
5. Find a league for a sport or game you love, and get involved with the people their.

Embrace the joys of adulthood.

Mauve Shirt
2015-11-01, 04:42 PM
Whatever you do, don't consider this the adult part of your life to the extent that you work yourself into a quagmire of sadness and never going outside!

Do a big exciting thing. Find a goal, a fun goal, and do that. Start a savings account to travel, or hike the Appalachian trail, or get a tattoo, or join an underground fight club, something that you won't do once you grow-up grow-up and feel like you're so stuck in the routine and being responsible that any change will murder your lifestyle.

Oh and don't lose your ability to learn new things. I won't encourage grad school unless you have the money and time for it, but for heaven's sake don't let your skills stay where they were at the end of undergrad. It's that inability to change once you become an adult that makes higher higher education difficult, unless you nurture your good learning habits NOW. Always always always be improving yourself in and outside of work.

Drink beer and make out with people of your preferred gender. Responsibly.

TechnOkami
2015-11-01, 05:03 PM
I mean hell, I'm about to turn 23 in about three days and I've got nothing super special planned, save for dinner to a Japanese restaurant I like.