PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Player Race: Bariaur, Adapted from Planescape

RazDelacroix
2015-10-19, 08:31 PM
Bariaur
“Go ahead, call me a centaur one more time. I will have so much fun playing polo with your stubby, chubby, squishy halfling body!”

The bariaur often reminds one of centaurs, with their goat-bodies topped by human torsos and arms. However, their faces display somewhat bestial features, and curiously both male and females can be found sporting a pair of curling ram's horns. Bariaur can be especially fussy abut their appearances, taking ample care to dye and shave their pelts into intricate patterns. Strict herbivores, bariaur revel in feasts of fruits and other vegetation accompanying strong drink.

Wandering Pals
Once found amidst the Upper Planes, the legendary wanderlust of the bariaur's has led many a flock to travel and even settle in the Prime Material plane. Honestly, just try to keep a bariaur pinned down to one place for more than a month. The idea of bariaur actually building a town is a complete fabrication of whatever charlatan is trying to sell you a bridge.

Bariaur exult in the joy of freedom, laughter, and a victory after a good scrap. Though others may see bariaur as frivolous, a bariaur is nevertheless a fierce companion when families or friends are threatened. They are quick to welcome new friends, giving little to no care for the social standing of others. Everyone is welcome, until they try to bring harm at least.

Bariaur Naming Conventions.
They would not tell me. They just tried to get me plastered before convincing me to play double-dutch with their kids. Ouch, my nose.

Bariaur Traits
Bariaur share these traits with one another. If you find a bariaur that deviates from this norm, the DM is out to get you. Swiftly now, rebel against your diabolical tablelord and snatch those dice! Your only hope resides in becoming a DM yourself lest the deviant bariaur begins belting out hymns from the Wretched Bagpipe of Pandorym!

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.

Age. Bariaur lifespans are comparable with a half-elf's. Given a boring and healthy life, a bariaur elder may live well into their second century.

Alignment. Bariaur's value their own freedoms as well as those of others, giving them a leaning towards the Chaotic Good alignment. More sedentary bariaur's lean towards a neutral outlook in their approach to good, while a few stray from pure good toward neutrality. Evil bariaurs are extremely rare, tend to be shunned, and may or may not have black pelts. If they have black pelts, they are not automatically evil, even if they start purchasing alchemical bleaching solutions from the apothecary.

Size. Usually standing about a half-foot taller than a human, and weighing nearly 300 pounds (with ewes about 40 pounds lighter). Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 40 feet.

Darkvision. You have darkvision out to 60 feet.

Hard-headed. You have advantage on all Wisdom and Charisma saving throws against magic.

Horns. The idea of being unarmed has never entered your thoughts. You are proficient with your horns, which deals 1d4 plus your Strength modifier bludgeoning damage.

Powerful Charge. When you use the Dash action during your turn, you may make a melee attack with your horns as a bonus action. This attack deals an additional 1d4 points of bludgeoning damage. For simplicity's sake, you can write that down as 2d4 + Strength modifier.

Ram. With your horns, you may attempt to knock a creature prone with this ability as per Shoving rules (PHB pg 195) after successfully attacking with your horns.

Sharp Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.

Sure-Footed. You have advantage on Strength and Dexterity saving throws made against effects that would knock you prone. You also have no problems navigating ladders.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write in Common and one additional language of your choosing.

Kane0
2015-10-20, 08:21 PM
I love it! Might want to drop the damage of your Horns form 1d8 to 1d6 though, perhaps increase the bonus action charge damage from 1d4 to 1d6 to compensate.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-21, 08:26 AM
I love it! Might want to drop the damage of your Horns form 1d8 to 1d6 though, perhaps increase the bonus action charge damage from 1d4 to 1d6 to compensate.

Agreed. There's already a lot of power and synergy in this race, and d8 natural weapons are unnecessary and extreme. I might even argue for dropping them to d4 and cutting the built-in shove (or the charge bonus, but I think the fluff leans more towards charging than shoving)...

RazDelacroix
2015-10-21, 03:33 PM
Have I ever mentioned how terrible I am with fluff? Alas, I am not the sort to straight-up plagiarize and plunder the perilous peaks of Planescape's pedigree. Also, thank you both for the input, I will adjust the natural weapons to 1d4 without increasing the bonus 1d4 from charging.

In this write-up I hope I stayed as true as possible to the 2nd & 3rd edition iterations of the bariaur. I also admit taking heavy inspiration/precedence of the UA write-up of the minotaur for determining the natural weapon damage.