PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the Dragon (DBZ-inspired monk)

Fralex
2015-10-19, 09:56 PM
WAY OF THE DRAG✪N

Your fighting style is inspired by the way dragons battle, with swift, aerial movements and huge blasts of energy. It originated, according to legend, with a humble monastery's acquisition of an Orb of Dragonkind, from which screw it this is just a Dragon Ball Z knockoff isn’t it. Oh well, that could still be fun, right?

Ki Blast
You can project your ki into focused blasts of energy. Make a ranged weapon attack roll with a bonus equal to your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier. The range for this attack is 80/320 ft. On a hit, a target takes radiant damage equal to your Martial Arts damage die + your Wisdom modifier (only add your Wisdom modifier to the damage of one Ki Blast per turn). Treat this attack as an unarmed strike for the purposes of all other monk features.

Dragon's Meteor
Starting at 6th level, you can focus your ki energy into a single searing ball of explosive light and hurl it into a group of enemies. As an action, spend 3 ki points and select a point within 120 feet. All creatures in a 5 to 20-ft. diameter sphere centered on that point take 5d10 radiant damage, or half that damage on a successful Dexterity saving throw.

Flight
At 11th level, your ki envelopes your body and gives you the power to defy gravity. You can spend 3 ki points as an action to gain a flying speed equal to your current speed for 10 minutes. Even without spending your ki energy, you have a (total) flying speed of 40 ft. as long as you have at least 3 ki points remaining and don’t fly higher than 10 ft.

Channel the Dragon
Starting at 17th level, you can channel the raw life force burning inside you to enter an ultimate transformed state where every blow you deal is magnified. To enter this state, you must first use your action to engage in intense concentration (as if concentrating on a spell). You then immediately end your turn. If you can maintain concentration for a full round, at the start of your next turn you enter the transformed state. While in this state, golden flames surround your body and you emit bright light out to 30 ft., and dim light for an additional 30 ft. Every attack you make that hits becomes a critical hit, and all your ki abilities cost 1 less point to use (minimum 1 ki point).

At the end of each of your turns, you must spend 1 ki point or the state ends. When it ends, you gain 1 level of exhaustion.

Notes: This archetype was a collaboration between me and ENWorld user Darknt123, whose initial concept can be viewed here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/5earchetypes/showentry.php?e=161). Making a monk Way that mimicked the fighting moves of Dragon Ball Z turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected, and I don't even watch that show (I have, of course, seen the abridged series). I really want to convince someone to let me playtest this, the concept of a brawler that makes extensive use of ranged attacks is really intriguing.

Fralex
2015-10-25, 03:20 AM
Aargh, and now apparently the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide retroactively stole my idea and made a Sun Soul monk with nearly the same mechanics, as far as I can tell. Curses and blasphemies, foiled a-gain!