PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Carrying a Pipe Organ??

Alistaroc
2015-10-19, 10:18 PM
Say I wanted to carry around a pipe organ for my Bardsader.
How does one acquire some sort of extradimensional storage space capable of storing a huge pipe organ that can then be quickly deployed for a marvelous performance before my stunned audience?

legomaster00156
2015-10-19, 10:29 PM
In my group, the GM gave our Bard a magic box that can instantly "unfold" into a grand piano. It is a magic item, yes, but since it's so useless besides letting him carry a large instrument, it was thought an inconsequential item.

Otherwise, Summon Instrument.

Psyren
2015-10-19, 10:40 PM
A wand of Shrink Item should do it. Toss organ onto the ground and play, then shrink it again after the fight.

Otherwise, Summon Instrument.

You'd have to be a Cloud Giant for this though:

Effect: One summoned handheld musical instrument

Drynwyn
2015-10-19, 11:00 PM
Put it in an Enveloping Pit (Magic Item Compendium.) Cheap as heck and EASILY big enough to hold a pipe organ- just turn it inside out when you need the organ.

MyrPsychologist
2015-10-19, 11:02 PM
I was in a game where a guy turned a pipe organ into a golem so the bard could ride it into battle.

mabriss lethe
2015-10-19, 11:17 PM
Shapesand?

Curmudgeon
2015-10-19, 11:47 PM
Put it in an Enveloping Pit (Magic Item Compendium.) Cheap as heck and EASILY big enough to hold a pipe organ- just turn it inside out when you need the organ.
You can't turn an Enveloping Pit inside out. You open it by spreading it on a flat surface. Your best bet would be to spread the Pit on a wall, and have the organ on wheels to roll out on the side of the Pit onto the floor/street.

Sir Chuckles
2015-10-20, 02:07 AM
You'd have to be a Cloud Giant for this though:

Nah. I actually used to run an 18 Strength Bard who used Summon Instrument for pianos in conjunction with Throw Anything.
With smaller pipe organs weight in the ballpark of 25,000lbs, some muleback chords, an a handful of Potions of Anthaul, the fact that you only really need to get the instrument off the ground, we can say the strength needed for a Medium creature before those items to be...
30!

That would be 24 on a Large creature.
If you could find a way to be bipedal, at least when you cast the spell, it would be that much easier.

Definitely easy to do!

Deophaun
2015-10-20, 02:18 AM
the fact that you only really need to get the instrument off the ground

Somehow I doubt that qualifies as "handheld," considering at that point it's not just your hands that are engaged in keeping the thing off the ground.

Though at 30 Str, getting hit with an Enlarge Person would manage at least in the weight category. There's still the fact that handheld is undefined in game, while in general English usage means something that is meant to be used in one's hands. I can carry an old 30' CRTV, but no one in their right mind would describe that TV as "handheld."

Sir Chuckles
2015-10-20, 02:21 AM
Somehow I doubt that qualifies as "handheld," considering at that point it's not just your hands that are engaged in keeping the thing off the ground.

Though at 30 Str, getting hit with an Enlarge Person would manage at least in the weight category. There's still the fact that handheld is undefined in game, while in general English usage means something that is meant to be used in one's hands. I can carry an old 30' CRTV, but no one in their right mind would describe that TV as "handheld."

Well, to go by exact definition, handheld is "designed to be held in the hand".
So, in actuality, things like an upright bass, tuba, drums, or bagpipes cannot be summoned by Summon Instrument.

Though I was going into the theoretical.

Ravens_cry
2015-10-20, 02:54 AM
There was hand held pipe organs, at least as 'hand held' as a tuba or bagpipes, known as a portative organ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portative_organ). Really wonderful sound by the way.

Inevitability
2015-10-20, 03:54 AM
If you could find a way to be bipedal, at least when you cast the spell, it would be that much easier.

I think you meant to say quadrupedal here.

Segev
2015-10-20, 12:01 PM
Isn't a bardsader going to want to be wielding a melee weapon into combat in order to use his own maneuvers? Generally, they go for singing or other vocal performances precisely so that they can do both.

A pipe organ, even if you get it on the field, is going to require your full attention. You can't play and fight.

Totema
2015-10-20, 12:24 PM
Yeah, the "bard who uses an impractical instrument" is something that seems to be sort of common. :smalltongue: In a game I played long ago, the GM got around it by making it an animated object with a permanent, low-flying sort of levitation effect. The organ followed the party into battle like some kind of companion creature. We even filled it up with holy water at one point, which let it spray the water as a projectile attack, while somehow keeping normal functionality. (Yeah, it was a weird game.)

Honest Tiefling
2015-10-20, 12:28 PM
I was in a game where a guy turned a pipe organ into a golem so the bard could ride it into battle.

This one is probably super expensive, but also super awesome. Try to see if you cannot convince the party mage to ride around in the chest or head of the golem with a wand of pyrotechnics.

Segev
2015-10-20, 03:24 PM
Mechanically, there's technically nothing saying you can't fight or take other actions while performing, even with impractical instruments. That doesn't mean you can or should claim that you're up and moving around while playing a pipe organ, but it does raise some interesting refluffing questions. Could you play two characters that are one PC? Not the way the Dvati try to do it; you simply only have one that's a valid "actor" at any given point in time, and cannot, in general, take advantage of being two places at once or any such thing. It is just that one of you sits at the organ and plays while the other ... does stuff.

Or perhaps you have a limited ability to conjure yourself a shadow clone, who does all the fighting and other actions while you play. Controlled by your playing. You take all damage, etc., that's dealt to said "clone." He even manages to "block" any attacks on the "real you" (which, mechanically, isn't present in the battle).

Or maybe you have a commoner hireling who normally fills unskilled labor rolls, but is fluff-wise your skilled combatant-self. Or is just THAT INSPIRED by your music.

Alistaroc
2015-10-20, 09:48 PM
The only reason this is practical is because the build I would be using allows it to play for something like 10+ rounds after I'm done playing, letting me play for one round, then go fight.

Self-playing organ? All I need now is top hat, monocle, and damn, rule of COOL.

BWR
2015-10-21, 01:00 AM
My DM allowed me pay a couple thousand for a magical item that could turn into any instrument I wished. It was entirely useless for anything but playing (no dropping pianos on people or blocking doors) - by my own design - but it was absolutely awesome to have in play.

Vogie
2015-10-21, 09:17 AM
You can just have your GM price out a Greater version of the Musical Staff (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicStavesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Musical%20Staff). The "Greater Musical Staff" would have:

As a swift action, the wielder of the musical staff can cause it to transform into a string or wind instrument. Any Perform skill checks made with the musical staff gain a +5 competence bonus. The staff can still be used to cast spells while it is an instrument, and it can revert back to a staff as a free action.
As a standard action, the wielder of the musical staff can cause it to transform into a large stationary instrument, such as a drumset, grand piano, or pipe organ. Any Perform skill checks made with the musical staff gain a +8 competence bonus, but the wielder is unable to move. The staff can still be used to cast spells while it is an instrument, and it can revert back to a staff as a swift action.

AngelOfFaith
2015-10-21, 06:32 PM
A Talisman of the Disk costs 500 gp. You can buy them in bulk. Maybe you can even sit on one and play while floting around with your organ.