PDA

View Full Version : Legality of a Wiki for a Homebrew setting?

AtlasSniperman
2015-10-19, 11:41 PM
Sorry about posting this here, I couldn't figure out where else it would go.

I have a Homebrew campaign setting for D&D 3.5. And I would like to put it on a wikia so I don't have to have it taking up space on my system and so people can help me build it. My worry though is that there may be some issue (legally) with me doing this. e.g. I know Mind Flayers are copyright, what if I want to use them in my setting?

Do I have to change everything so no fluff matches?(I.e., Mind Flayers are called something different and have entirely different fluff but are based at their core on Mind Flayers) or do I have to note that it is homebrew only / fan work and not affiliated with WotC?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Orcus The Vile
2015-10-20, 09:56 AM
Well if it is a small fan thing I don't think anyone will actually notice or care.

But if it is a hobrew setting why don't you focus on the new elements of it. I mean I bet your players can get information about Mind Flayers in other places... Do you really need to create a page for it?

TheThan
2015-10-20, 01:17 PM
you could try google docs if you're uncomfortable with using wiki. since it's private and you're using it for you're own use i don't see any issues coming up from that service. it's what i use for my setting information and custom things when I homebrew games.

Roland St. Jude
2015-10-20, 02:21 PM
Sheriff: Please don't ask for (or give legal advice on this forum).