PDA

View Full Version : Just when do stats increase?

Kami2awa
2007-05-24, 06:02 AM
On these boards and elsewhere I often find reference to player's stats (Strength, Intelligence, etc.) increasing as they gain experience. Where are the rules for this? BAB, saving throws etc. go up but I can't see any rules for stat increases. In 2nd ed, stats could only be changed permanently using powerful magic like Manuals of ... and the Wish spell.

Can anyone explain when stats increase?

DaMullet
2007-05-24, 06:07 AM
You get one point every four levels (4, 8, 12, 16, 20) to put in whichever stat you like.

Dark Dork
2007-05-24, 06:08 AM
Every 4 levels. (Similar to feats which you get every 3 levels.)

You can still increase them permenantly with a Wish, Miracle or by various powerful tomes in 3.5ed

Edit: Ninja'd

Talya
2007-05-24, 06:11 AM
On these boards and elsewhere I often find reference to player's stats (Strength, Intelligence, etc.) increasing as they gain experience. Where are the rules for this? BAB, saving throws etc. go up but I can't see any rules for stat increases. In 2nd ed, stats could only be changed permanently using powerful magic like Manuals of ... and the Wish spell.

Can anyone explain when stats increase?

Page 10, player's handbook, under "Changing Ability Scores."

At every 4th level (Character level, not class level), you add +1 to an ability score of your choice. Character age can also have associated bonuses and penalties to different ability scores.

Hazkali
2007-05-24, 06:12 AM
It says how to do it in the Player's Handbook. Technically we shouldn't have told you, as the Open Gaming Licence doesn't allow reproduction of the rules concerning how to apply experience to a character, or so I have been told.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-24, 06:15 AM
It says how to do it in the Player's Handbook. Technically we shouldn't have told you, as the Open Gaming Licence doesn't allow reproduction of the rules concerning how to apply experience to a character, or so I have been told.

You're allowed to talk about it, just not quote the rules verbatum.

Spiryt
2007-05-24, 06:18 AM
Completely By The Way, what do you think about increasing stats every 3 levels like feats. I'm thinking about allowing my players to do so. It will make character developing less monotonous and some feats ec could be available sooner.
I think it won't abuse things too much, but i'm little afraid of casters...
What do you think?

Dungeonmeister
2007-05-24, 06:48 AM
Every 3 levels might seem a bit much, although in the long run they'll only get 1 more stat point than by using the current method. I had pondered implementing the system from Mongoose's Conan D20- 1 stat point per four levels, then every 6th level ALL stats go up by one.

It's certainly an impressive boost.

Talya
2007-05-24, 06:57 AM
Every 3 levels might seem a bit much, although in the long run they'll only get 1 more stat point than by using the current method. I had pondered implementing the system from Mongoose's Conan D20- 1 stat point per four levels, then every 6th level ALL stats go up by one.

It's certainly an impressive boost.

Really helps MAD classes.

Galdor Miriel
2007-05-24, 07:00 AM
And remember, by all accounts there is a 5 point limit on stat increases ny wish and miracle. Though I have never seen the actual rule anywhere. Which is why the tomes etc only go up to +5.

Talya
2007-05-24, 07:02 AM
Source. :smallsmile:

Inherent Bonus: A bonus to an ability score resulting from powerful magic, such as a wish. Inherent bonuses cannot be dispelled. A character is limited to a total inherent bonus of +5 to any ability score. Multiple inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies.

Hazkali
2007-05-24, 07:09 AM
You're allowed to talk about it, just not quote the rules verbatum.

My bad. :smallbiggrin: