PDA

View Full Version : Don't step out of the light...

Hazkali
2007-05-24, 06:09 AM
This is what comes of an unholy fusion of Pitch Black, Sphere and cool illustrations in Lords of Madness. I'd quite like help with the bits in blue, if that's okay- Is the CR okay? Are the feats okay? Should it be reach 10? Are the DCs too high? Plus any other comments would be good.

Nachtmahr

Huge Aberration
Hit Dice: 17d8 + 85 (165hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 10ft
Armour Class: 16 (-2 Size, +8 Natural Armour), flat-footed 16, touch 8
Base Attack/Grapple: +12 / +28
Attack: Tentacle +20 melee (3d8+8 bludgeoning)
Full Attack: 3 Tentacles +20 melee (3d8+8 bludgeoning)
Space/Reach: 15ft/ 5ft
Special Attacks: Madness Aura, Tendrils of Paranoia
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Darksense, Madness Rapture, Lightburn, Telepathy
Saves: Fort +12, Will +13, Ref +5
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 11, Con 20, Wis 12, Int 20, Cha 26
Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) +28, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +25, Knowledge (Arcana) +25, Intimidate +28, Diplomacy +28, Sense Motive +21, Bluff +28
Feats: Ability Focus (Tendrils of Paranoia), Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Alertness, Skill Focus (Knowledge(The Planes)), Improved Disarm
Environment: Always Underground
Organisation: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
[Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Advancement: 17-20 hd (Huge)
Level Adjustment: Are you joking?

In darkness, alone, the Nachtmahr waits. The Nachtmahr stands about ten feet high and is a mass of rubbery, writhing tentacles. It has a small mouth of sharp teeth for its irregular feeding and a long, pointed centre body.

Something a little like this... (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/lom_gallery/88164.jpg)

The Nachtmahr is an aberration from the deep darkness, and that is where it revels. It feeds off of the madness and pain it causes creatures more than any natural sustenance. It spends most of its time alone and takes pains to settle in a place with minimal (although not non-existent) traffic so it is rarely disturbed whilst it meditates constantly on how to plunge the universe into madness. It would be a font of knowledge for adventurers except that it would rather die than yield its knowledge.

Nachtmahrs can only speak telepathically, but they have the ability to understand Common, Undercommon, Abyssal, Infernal, Terran and Aquan.

Combat
The Nachtmahr will usually keep silent in a hidden recess than be disturbed. If it wishes food, it will target creatures it can sense with its Tendrils of Paranoia ability. If it is caught unawares, it will let its Madness Aura do the job, or failing that as a last resort it will attack with a tentacle.

Madness Aura (Su): The Nachtmahr exudes an aura of madness that affects all creatures within 50ft. All intelligent creatures within this radius must succeed on a DC 26 will save (DC 10 + ½ hit dice +Int mod) each round or be affected by confusion for that round. Mindless creatures and those with an intelligence of less than 3 are unaffected. The aura is permanent and cannot be supressed at will by the Nachtmahr.

Madness Rapture (Su): The Nachtmahr feels ecstasy at the madness of others. For each creature that is under the power of the Nachtmahr’s Madness Aura, Nachtmahr suffers a -1 penalty to Attack Rolls, Armour Class, Saves and Intelligence-based skill checks.

Darksense (Su): The Nachtmahr can sense the existence of any creatures that are fully submerged in darkness within 500ft. A creature that is illuminated by any form of light is invisible to the Darksense ability. The Nachtmahr cannot tell anything about that creature, including the direction and distance from itself, except that it exists. If a creature is submerged in Darkness and then becomes illuminated, the Nachtmahr loses the ability to sense that creature.

Tendrils of Paranoia (Su): The Nachtmahr can cause even good friends to turn against one another. The Nachtmahr may target one intelligent creature that it can sense with its Darksense ability. That creature must succeed on a DC 29 Will save (DC 10 + ½ hit dice + Cha mod +2) or feel the effects of Creeping Paranoia. If the creature re-enters light, they may re-take their will save each round.

Lightburn (Ex): The Nachtmahr takes additional damage from light-producing spells such as Searing Light, Sunlight, and Sunbeam as if it were Undead.

Telepathy (Su): The Nachtmahr can speak telepathically to any creature within 60ft.

Creeping Paranoia
Round Effect

1: The target is suspicious of their friends; They suffer a -1 penalty to skill checks and will not use the Aid Another action
2-4: The target is highly suspicious; the penalty to skill checks increases to -2, and adjacent allies may be treated as enemies in terms of flanking the paranoid creature.
5-7: The target is delusional; they fall prone and will not make any actions, and refuse to communicate with their friends.
8+: They perceive their friends to be their enemies. They will get up and either attack their friends (50%) or flee directly away from their friends as fast as possible (50%) as if frightened.

DracoDei
2007-05-24, 11:58 AM
I can see why they prefer unfrequented areas from a practical standpoint... the average biodensity of small rodents in a forest might make this thing trippy (5 rodents in a 50' radius sounds quite reasonable...). OTOH most abilities can be
'turned off' so they would just have to shut down the Madness Aura to clear their heads anytime they needed to... or would that require a will save? On a similar note, one of the best defenses against this thing is to summon a swarm of rats and send it higher than a kite.
I might consider giving it 'Improved Disarm' instead of one of the skill focus feats you seemed unsure about. This would let it have a better chance of snatching away light sources and standing on them or throwing them as far as it can away from the combat.
Might have more comments later, very low on sleep at the moment.

Hazkali
2007-05-24, 12:35 PM
Thanks! Sleep deprivation is never fun, makes Hazkali go a little CrAzY.

I think I will give it Improved Disarm over one of the Skill focuses, as that seems more useful, and in keeping with the fact that it has many tentacles to disarm with.

I see the weakness that summoning a swarm of rats (etc) poses...I might change it to "all Intelligent creatures (intelligence 3 or higher)" thus ruling out Animals and Vermin. Not because I want to nerf a good idea at beating it...well, yes, to nerf an overpowering way of defeating it. You could still summon Intelligent monsters to send it crazy.

EDIT: Changed the original to say "Mindless creatures and those with Intelligence of less than 3 are unaffected".

DracoDei
2007-05-24, 03:10 PM
You might also want to state that the aura CAN'T be turned off, so the creature can't negate that tactic.

Celestial Badgers for the Win! :smallbiggrin:

Hazkali
2007-05-25, 01:07 AM
You might also want to state that the aura CAN'T be turned off, so the creature can't negate that tactic.

Celestial Badgers for the Win! :smallbiggrin:

Done, and I like your thinking!!

Icewalker
2007-05-25, 02:38 AM
Huh, looks good. I'd enter it for the MitP II contest.

Treasure should just be normal, don't see reasons to the contrary.

I like the abilities. All around good stuff I'd say. Having Creeping Paranoia give an AC bonus is a little funky though. I dunno bout that.

Hazkali
2007-05-25, 03:28 AM
Huh, looks good. I'd enter it for the MitP II contest.

Treasure should just be normal, don't see reasons to the contrary.

I like the abilities. All around good stuff I'd say. Having Creeping Paranoia give an AC bonus is a little funky though. I dunno bout that.

Thanks! The AC bonus was supposed to represent the fact that they were on their guard more, but I'm not sure if there's a better way of doing it than having an AC bonus...?

DracoDei
2007-05-25, 05:45 AM
Maybe paranoia bonuses to will saves against Beguilement effects?
Forcing them to fight defensively could work if you still want to play around with AC.
Or you can have it work that at some point in the sequence adjacent allies cause them to count as flanked as if they were enemies (basically litterally glancing over their shoulder and so not able to pay as much attention to the actual threats).

Hazkali
2007-05-25, 06:17 AM
Maybe paranoia bonuses to will saves against Beguilement effects?
Forcing them to fight defensively could work if you still want to play around with AC.
Or you can have it work that at some point in the sequence adjacent allies cause them to count as flanked as if they were enemies (basically litterally glancing over their shoulder and so not able to pay as much attention to the actual threats).

I really like that idea! Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Updated the Paranoia table by moving the Aid Another restriction down, in order to fit in the flanking rules.