PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gaining Weapon Attacks (Not natural attacks)

Raenel
2015-10-20, 05:26 AM
So, recently I have been trying to make a character that has the most number of attacks in pathfinder. I have spent two weeks and I have slowly come to realize that there aren't many lists that talk about gaining the most number of weapon attacks a character can make. Now, maybe my google-fu just isn't up to par, but I have found sparingly little love for multiple weapon attacks. So I decided to list some that I have found and I hope that some people on these forums can help.
What I have found so far:
Higher base bab: Obviously, the higher this is the more attacks you will get. Thanks for the reminder Barstro

Monk: Flurry of blows and using your ki pool to gain one more on it. Adds up to four extra attacks if used together at level fifteen.

Barbarian (Wild Rager): level two nets you the ability to make an additional attack at highest bab for minus two to hit for all attacks in round and four to ac.

Brawler: Flurry like a monks, but no ki pool boost to back it up. Adds three attacks by level fifteen and same restrictions as monks flurry.

Summoner (Synthesist): Sink as many evo points into the limbs upgrades and arm as many arms as you can with weapons. Not sure on exact number, but easily lets you have at least a few dozen extra weapon attacks if built right. Kind of cheese, but works.

Gunslinger (Teppou Bushi): The one man volley deed grants the Teppou Bushi the ability to make an extra attack on a full attack, but gives a -4 to hit and the gun doesn't hit touch ac for these attacks. The penalty to hit drops to -3 at 7th level and -2 at level 14.

Medium: When you have a spirit from the champion legend and have access to the intermediate spirit power, you gain an extra attack on full-attack actions at your highest bab.

Speed: Weapon enhancement that lets you make an additional attack with the speed weapon. Does not stack with haste or similar effects, though there is some debate on whether or not multiple speed weapons stack. Talk to Dm.

Haste: Grants an extra attack and some other goodies. Does not stack with other similar effects.

Divine Power: Grants bonuses to attack, damage, and an extra attack. Does not stack with haste, speed, or similar effects. Credit goes to Barstro.

Double-barreled pistol: Technically doubles the number of attacks you can make with it if you fire both barrels. Attacks you make when you fire both barrels take a -4 and you usually need a free hand to reload the gun. Thanks goes to Lalliman

Flash Kick: A path of war maneuver that grants an additional unarmed attack when taking a full round attack. The attack takes a minus two to hit, but deals an additional 2d6 damage if it hits. Note that it costs a swift action to use.

Rapid shot: Grants an extra attack with ranged weapons at highest base attack for a minus two to hit on all hits.

Manyshot: Gives bow users the ability to fire a second arrow with the first attack in a full attack action. Note that while it deals the same damage damage as firing an additional at the target, it is still one attack for purposes of hitting ac and feats.

Two weapon fighting feats: Grants two additional attacks by level 11. Note that it does not stack with abilities that effectively grant two weapon fighting and that you don't technically need to have the first feat to dual wield.

I will try updating this frequently and will give all credit to anyone who helps with posts. All books are available, but pathfinder only. And no natural attacks and only abilities that grant bonus attacks on full attacks and the like. Thanks to all willing to help

Barstro
2015-10-20, 05:55 AM
Divine Power.
(Cannot seem to post link with my phone)
Bonus to rolls, extra attack. Does not stack with Haste, Speed.

Barstro
2015-10-20, 06:01 AM
Although it's obvious, for the sake of being complete;
Having a higher BAB increases the number of iteratives.

Raenel
2015-10-20, 06:08 AM
Added and updated. Thanks Barstro

Lalliman
2015-10-20, 06:14 AM
Double-barreled pistol. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/pistol-double-barreled)
High-level gunslinger + dual wielding + haste = 16 attacks per round. If you can keep yourself from misfiring, which you can with the greater reliable (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/reliable-greater) enchantment.

Of course, that's kind of just 8 attacks that deal double the damage. I also doubt any sane GM would allow it.

Raenel
2015-10-20, 06:34 AM
Thank you Lalliman. I forgot about the pistols. I now have to go back to the drawing board (the build I was making was a gestalt gunslinger/monk/fighter/barb that got 11 attacks with revolvers at level 20. Now make that 22 :smallbiggrin: )

DedWards
2015-10-20, 07:12 AM
I'm currently playing a Fighter using the Two-Weapon Fighting tree (no archetypes, pure Fighter) to dual-wield Sawtooth Sabers. For fun, I decided to see how many attacks I can get per level compared to the Monk's Flurry of Blows and realised that at most levels, I have more or equal number of attacks... until level 16, where the Monk starts to get more attacks.

Fighter with TWF feats as soon as he can afford them (which is only limited by BAB):
Levels 1 to 5: 2 attacks
Levels 6 to 10: 4 attacks
Levels 11 onwards: 6 attacks

Monk's Flurry of Blows:
Levels 6 and 7: 3 attacks
Levels 8 to 10: 4 attacks
Levels 11 to 14: 5 attacks
Level 15: 6 attacks
Levels 16 onwards: 7 attacks

And this is all before adding magic like Haste.

I personally prefer the Fighter option as it has the feats to 'waste' in order to get the good TWF feats and I CAN wear armour.

On a side note, the Monk archetype Zen Archer uses his Flurry with a bow, making it even more dangerous... for his foes.

Raenel
2015-10-22, 04:01 AM
DedWards, while a fighter can get to six attacks faster than the monk, they also deal less damage per attack. And fighters can two weapon fight with pretty much anything, monks flurry of blows is a lot more limited in what it can normally be used with. So there are both pros and cons with both routes. But this isn't a guide or a reference for who is better at two weapon fighting, it's a list for ways people can stack up attacks with weapons

DedWards
2015-10-22, 04:18 AM
DedWards, while a fighter can get to six attacks faster than the monk, they also deal less damage per attack. And fighters can two weapon fight with pretty much anything, monks flurry of blows is a lot more limited in what it can normally be used with. So there are both pros and cons with both routes.

But this isn't a guide or a reference for who is better at two weapon fighting, it's a list for ways people can stack up attacks with weapons

I didn't mean it as a reference of who's better, I just found it interesting and thought I'd share.

Obviously each has pros and cons. Don't forget that Monks can use monk weapons with their flurry, so it does kind of qualify for the 'with weapons' thing. Hell, my one monk had a cold iron Sai that both gave a bonus to disarm and allowed me to get past DR/Cold Iron.

And as for a fighter doing less damage, they aren't MAD like monks, so while their dice type doesn‘t scale, they can have a higher bonus added on from STR for more reliable damage.

Arutema
2015-10-22, 04:23 AM
Double-barreled pistol. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/pistol-double-barreled)
High-level gunslinger + dual wielding + haste = 16 attacks per round. If you can keep yourself from misfiring, which you can with the greater reliable (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/reliable-greater) enchantment.

Of course, that's kind of just 8 attacks that deal double the damage. I also doubt any sane GM would allow it.

Especially since official errata says firing both barrels is a standard action now.

Slithery D
2015-10-22, 07:16 AM
Are templates allowed? A demon worshipper can gain the half-fiend template through hard, evil work, and Demons Revisited has a half-Marilith customization that gives you four arms, all of which can attack at full BAB. So that's plus three attacks.

grarrrg
2015-10-22, 08:14 PM
Especially since official errata says firing both barrels is a standard action now.

^This^
Double-Barreled anything is dead.
FAQ Linky (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1g1#v5748eaic9tqm)
Double-Barreled Musket for reference (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/musket-double-barreled)

Nyaa
2015-10-24, 09:33 AM
Hour/minute hand maneuvers from Riven Hourglass (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444869-Dreamscarred-Press-Path-of-War-Expanded!-(Thread-VII)) work like flash kick, but with any weapon.
Solar Hailstorm Stance (Solar Wind 8) adds two attacks to ranged full attack.
Broken Blade Stance (Broken Blade 3) is going to be errata'd, but currently adds up to two extra attacks on a full attack.
Meditant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/meditant) psywar have flurry like monk.
Deadly Fist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/deadly-fist) soulknife have flurry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/blade-skills#TOC-Flurry-of-Fists) too.

Florian
2015-10-24, 05:07 PM
A regular sword-n-board twf fighter can get off an amazing number of attacks during a full attack if you invest in a bit of critfishing. With Bashing Finish, you get a free shield bash for every crit you land. Note that your shield is a melee weapon too, so you can potentially trigger a lot of free shield bashs, which could potentially trigger again. Get yourself Vicious Stomp and a Maelstrom Shield for added fun.

grarrrg
2015-10-24, 10:44 PM
A regular sword-n-board twf fighter can get off an amazing number of attacks during a full attack if you invest in a bit of critfishing. With Bashing Finish, you get a free shield bash for every crit you land. Note that your shield is a melee weapon too, so you can potentially trigger a lot of free shield bashs, which could potentially trigger again. Get yourself Vicious Stomp and a Maelstrom Shield for added fun.

Board-n-board might potentially be more optimal.
Yeah, the crit range is worse (one third a typical "fisher" weapon), but each successful crit would result in +2 free attacks, and if you have any "weapon specific feats" it would apply to both 'weapons' instead of just one.

Florian
2015-10-25, 02:54 AM
Board-n-board might potentially be more optimal.
Yeah, the crit range is worse (one third a typical "fisher" weapon), but each successful crit would result in +2 free attacks, and if you have any "weapon specific feats" it would apply to both 'weapons' instead of just one.

Some considerations:
- BnB tends to be too cheesy for a lot of groups
- Monster hp are finit and combat is short (in rounds)
- If you chose Hammer the Gap, more hits now is better than more hits in potentia.

Kurald Galain
2015-10-25, 03:38 AM
Magus. Spell combat lets you cast a spell in addition to making a full attack, and numerous spells let you make an attack. If you have spellstrike (at level 2), this attack can be with your weapon.

Swashbuckler. Parry and Riposte lets you make an attack as an immediate action. Magus can also get this ability.

Maxrim
2015-10-25, 11:25 PM
Lightning Fists from Sword and Fist gives 2 extra in exchange for -5/hit. It requires 4 monk levels.

Vhaidara
2015-10-26, 06:39 AM
Fighter with TWF feats as soon as he can afford them (which is only limited by BAB):
Levels 6 to 10: 4 attacks
Levels 11 onwards: 6 attacks

Monk's Flurry of Blows:
Levels 6 and 7: 3 attacks
Levels 8 to 10: 4 attacks
Levels 11 to 14: 5 attacks
Level 15: 6 attacks
Levels 16 onwards: 7 attacks

And this is all before adding magic like Haste.

Not really accurate since the Unchained Monk came out.
Level 1-2: 2 (Flurry)
Level 3-4: 3 (Flurry + Ki point for bonus attack)
Level 5: 4 (Flurry + Ki point + Elbow Smash Style Strike)
Level 6-10: 5 (Flurry [BAB +6] +Ki point +Elbow Smash)
Level 11-15: 7 (3 BAB, +2 Flurry +1 Ki point +1 Elbow Smash)
Level 16+: 8 (4 BAB, +2 Flurry, +1 Ki point, +1 Elbow Smash)

And it stacks with Haste. Explicitly

DedWards
2015-10-26, 01:55 PM
Not really accurate since the Unchained Monk came out.
Level 1-2: 2 (Flurry)
Level 3-4: 3 (Flurry + Ki point for bonus attack)
Level 5: 4 (Flurry + Ki point + Elbow Smash Style Strike)
Level 6-10: 5 (Flurry +Ki point +Elbow Smash)
Level 11-15: 7 (3 BAB, +2 Flurry +1 Ki point +1 Elbow Smash)
Level 16+: 8 (4 BAB, +2 Flurry, +1 Ki point, +1 Elbow Smash)

And it stacks with Haste. Explicitly

I worked out the difference without limited stuff like Ki (which can only be used x amount of times a day). I also originally did my calculations without knowing about the Unchained classes.

I recalculated it all:

[B]TWF Fighter
Taking all the extra attacks TWF feats asap (only limited by BAB requirement):
Levels 1-5: 2 Attacks (1 BAB, 1 TWF)
Levels 6-10: 4 Attacks (1 BAB, 1 TWF)
Levels 11-15: 6 Attacks (1 BAB, 1 TWF)
Levels 16-20: 7 Attacks (1 BAB, 1 TWF)
[I forgot level 16's 4th attack from normal BAB progression the first time I calculated this]

"Normal" Monk
Ignoring limited extra attacks from Ki:
Levels 1-5: 2 Attacks
Levels 6-7: 3 Attacks
Levels 8-10: 4 Attacks
Levels 11-14: 5 Attacks
Level 15: 6 Attacks
Levels 16-20: 7 Attacks

With Ki extra Attack:
Levels 1-3: 2 Attacks
Levels 4-5: 3 Attacks
Levels 6-7: 4 Attacks
Levels 8-10: 5 Attacks
Levels 11-14: 6 Attacks
Level 15: 7 Attacks
Levels 16-20: 8 Attacks

Unchained Monk
Ignoring limited extra attacks from Ki, and Elbow Smash because of its "if" clause:
Levels 1-5: 2
Levels 6-10: 3
Levels 11-15: 5
Levels 16-20: 6

With Ki's extra attack and Elbow Smash (assuming it triggers every time):
Levels 1-2: 2
Levels 3-4: 3
Level 5: 4
Levels 6-10: 5
Levels 11-14: 7
Level 15: 8
Levels 16-20: 9

Full BAB class: +1 at level 1; +2 at level 6; +3 at level 11; and +4 at level 16)
Flurry of Blows: +1 at level 1; +2 at level 11
Ki from Level 3: +1
Style Strike at Level 5: +1 at level 5 (Elbow Smash), +2 at level 15

Conclusion:
Yes, monk can get more attacks, but a fighter I still prefer the Fighter option as it has the feats to 'waste' in order to get the good TWF feats and I CAN wear Full Plate armour. Also,Fighters aren't MAD, so they can easily have a higher bonus to damage from STR than most monks.

Vhaidara
2015-10-26, 01:59 PM
Elbow Smash isn't much of an if. Especially at high levels, you really should never be missing with your high attack bonus attacks.

Also, when you get high enough, you could grab Improved/Greater Trip, and also mix in the Leg Sweep Style Strike. First hit stun (Stunning Fist), second hit sweep the leg (trip, giving you a free third hit), fourth Elbow Smash vs the tripped, stunned enemy.

Florian
2015-10-26, 02:56 PM
@Keledrath: And that has what exactly to do with the number of manufactored weapon attacks?

Vhaidara
2015-10-26, 02:59 PM
@Keledrath: And that has what exactly to do with the number of manufactored weapon attacks?

The part where the only part of this that can't be used with a monk weapon is the Elbow Smash.

Actually, does the FAQ ruling that blocked TWF FoB apply to UnMonk? Because if not, grab yourself a quarterstaff or any light monk weapon and toss TWF onto that as well.

grarrrg
2015-10-26, 09:34 PM

The rules treat Unarmed Attacks (almost) exactly the same as Manufactured Weapons.
And Amulet of Might Fists (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-mighty-fists) is a thing, and can be enchanted with most melee-type abilities.

Actually, does the FAQ ruling that blocked TWF FoB apply to UnMonk? Because if not, grab yourself a quarterstaff or any light monk weapon and toss TWF onto that as well.

UnMonk doesn't need a FAQ to stop (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/monk-unchained#TOC-Flurry-of-Blows) Flurry+TWF:

He takes no penalty for using multiple weapons when making a flurry of blows, but he does not gain any additional attacks beyond what's already granted by the flurry for doing so.

You take no penalty for mixing attacks, but you don't get any "bonus" either.

Florian
2015-10-27, 01:37 AM
@Keledrath:
Mentioning the whole free maneuver attempts the way you did only muddies the water. Let me show you why:
UnMonk
Basics: BAB +4, Flurry +2, Haste +1, Ki +1
Proc: Medusas Wrath +2, Elbow Smash +1
Free: Style Maneuver (1)
Option: Vicious Stomp (+1, Unarmed Strike)

SnB Fighter
Basics: BAB +4, TWF +3, Haste +1
Proc: Bashing Finish (4x/25%, 3x/5%, infinity loop)
Free: Bull Rush (3+)
Option: Trip (3+), Vicious Stomp (+1, Unarmed Strike), Pommel Strike (3/day +1) [assuming you chose the right shield and weapon to supplement this build]

So, the number of basic attacks is identical, the number of procs and freebies differ widely.
(and no, I don't argue against the UnMonk having more attacks at the highest BAB, I just ignore this as it is not part of the original question)

Swaoeaeieu
2015-10-27, 03:01 AM
^This^
Double-Barreled anything is dead.
FAQ Linky (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1g1#v5748eaic9tqm)
Double-Barreled Musket for reference (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/musket-double-barreled)

bit rusty on the rules here... does this mean you cant full attack using both barrels?

grarrrg
2015-10-27, 10:18 PM
bit rusty on the rules here... does this mean you cant full attack using both barrels?

The only way to shoot both barrels at once is a Standard Action.
You can still shoot each barrel on it's own.

So if you have two Double Barrel pistols you can:
Standard Action > Shoot 1 barrel (like a normal pistol)
Standard Action > Shoot both barrels of one pistol
Full Attack > Shoot single shots at a time from either pistol

Basically they nerfed TWF-Pistolero-Double-Barrel-blasters into the ground. Hard.

Swaoeaeieu
2015-10-28, 12:52 AM
The only way to shoot both barrels at once is a Standard Action.
You can still shoot each barrel on it's own.

So if you have two Double Barrel pistols you can:
Standard Action > Shoot 1 barrel (like a normal pistol)
Standard Action > Shoot both barrels of one pistol
Full Attack > Shoot single shots at a time from either pistol

Basically they nerfed TWF-Pistolero-Double-Barrel-blasters into the ground. Hard.

i guess it would be a bit overboard to get 10 attacks in a round at level 9 with my gunsmoke mystic...

Arbane
2015-10-28, 01:35 AM
Other ways to get extra attacks:

Blessing of Fervor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blessing-of-fervor) - another Haste-alike, plus some other nice options.

Cornugon Smash (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/cornugon-smash-combat) + Hurtful (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/hurtful-combat). Requires successful Intimidate check and a Swift action, but stacks with Haste.