PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce BASE level adjustment? (3.5)

hector212121
2015-10-20, 09:30 AM
I'm considering joining a game that, by the time I'll be able to join, should be around level 3.

The issue is that I want to do a Half-Troll(of some kind, though preferably medium) Duskblade.(With the Troll-Blooded feat, you become the ultimate tank.) Other half hasn't been determined.

How can I possibly reduce the LA to +2?

Segev
2015-10-20, 09:43 AM
There aren't many ways to do it at all, and even fewer that might be considered "good," but there IS the Game of Thrones d20 "child" template. Take the youngest playable version, and it's a -2 LA. I forget what that entails, but you're really, really young. The second-youngest playable form of it is a -1 LA.

Incarnate Construct can reduce LA; maybe a half-troll warforged incarnate construct? That's getting a bit weird, though.

The other ways to do it essentially involve begging the DM and the other players. Either just start as a level 5 PC in a level 3 party (maybe with 0 exp as you have to "earn" your way up, thus allowing the others lots of time to catch up to you), or lop off some of the abilities until "later" as you level up to "earn" them.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-10-20, 10:08 AM
One of the FR books has rules for that, PGtF i think. Basically you take a -1 on every roll for every LA beyond your ECL that you have.

Quertus
2015-10-20, 10:12 AM
One of the FR books has rules for that, PGtF i think. Basically you take a -1 on every roll for every LA beyond your ECL that you have.

I was going to suggest a house-rule... that was essentially this rule. One "negative level" (that can only be bought off by leveling) per level you are ahead of the party, giving you pretty much a -1 on all rolls, a -1 caster level, and a -1 spells known.

Glad to know that there is an existing rule that covers this - roughly the same way my group house-ruled.

nedz
2015-10-20, 10:12 AM
You could use a Savage Progression racial class and only take one level. Of course you will only be half a half troll until you take the 2nd level — though you never actually have to.

Your DM would have to homebrew one for your character, but the details are here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp).