PDA

View Full Version : Non-combat XP awards

Rusvul
2015-10-20, 09:51 AM
Hello! I'm an inexperienced DM running a 5e game centered around exploration and role playing first, and combat second. I'd like my xp rewards to reflect this, but I'm not sure how. I think Rollplay: The West Marches has a pretty good system for this (if you're unfamiliar, players get xp for killing monsters, completing session goals, and exploring,) but I'm not sure what sort of numbers I want to be using- how do I make a formula that scales to my players' level?

I'd like to give xp for showing up, completing session goals, completing story goals, completing personal goals, and exploration, as well as for killing stuff.

Input would be appreciated. :)

hymer
2015-10-20, 09:59 AM
You could try looking at the Milestone (I think it's called) system of advancement in the DMG. It does away with XP all-together, and you could let the PCs advance when they advance the plot instead.

eastmabl
2015-10-20, 10:46 AM
You could try looking at the Milestone (I think it's called) system of advancement in the DMG. It does away with XP all-together, and you could let the PCs advance when they advance the plot instead.

This.

This method allows you to determine when players level instead of making the end of session book-keeping time.

As a new DM, I would suggest you keep an open-door policy when it comes to concerns they have. With doing away with XP, you might want to keep an open ear when they think that they deserve to level up.

Edgerunner
2015-10-20, 10:55 AM
Don't forget to reward folks for just plain old good Role Playing.

Doesn't have to be XP but it will encourage the others at the table to step up their game as well.

Also, don't overdue the RP rewards if one of your PCs are better than the others.

Joe the Rat
2015-10-20, 11:50 AM
What I give XP for (take what you like, leave the rest):

Showing up
Solving problems
Overcoming obstacles (defeating/avoiding known traps, finding paths through wilderness, negotiating down your tax levy)
Plot milestones (complete an assigned mission, complete a personal goal, clearing a "stage")
Killing stuff
Routing stuff (monsters that run away are "defeated")
Negotiations to avoid killing stuff
Clever plans and ideas - but the ones that work are worth more.
Things that break the DM - I need my limits pushed to grow
Downtime training (Cash for XP)

Note that I also give other things - Inspiration, Boons, Information, Allies - as well as, or instead of XP as appropriate.

Mjolnirbear
2015-10-20, 12:04 PM
As a non-xp reward, consider buffing inspiration. Allowing it to stack for instance. Someone on the boards here suggested modifying it: using an inspiration point made a miss become a hit/success; a hit become a crit/natural 20; and a crit into... Well, ive forgotten that part lol. Maybe a kill stroke?

You can include action points or hero points as well. Small story rewards. Making an NPC response more than a simple roll would allow. The persuasion check convinces the king to grant the PC a title, despite being extremely unlikely to normally do so. The investigation check not only discovers the secret exit but also a hidden stash with a magical item that even the room's owners didn't know about.

KorvinStarmast
2015-10-20, 12:11 PM
Don't forget to reward folks for just plain old good Role Playing.

Doesn't have to be XP but it will encourage the others at the table to step up their game as well.

Also, don't overdue the RP rewards if one of your PCs are better than the others.Overdue is late, overdo is probably what you meant. :smallbiggrin:

The old game provided 1 xp per gold piece value of treasure. That isn't a bad xp reward alternate if you run a low treasure game, or if treasures are only in lairs. Depends on how gritty your campaign is.

Rusvul
2015-10-20, 04:25 PM
This.

This method allows you to determine when players level instead of making the end of session book-keeping time.

As a new DM, I would suggest you keep an open-door policy when it comes to concerns they have. With doing away with XP, you might want to keep an open ear when they think that they deserve to level up.

I don't know if I really want to do milestone levels, though... There's currently a slight discrepancy between player levels, and I kind of like that- The PC who's been around since session one and hasn't died is in the lead, a player who died once but ends up getting a lot of bonus XP is right behind him... I think that's kind of cool. Plus, I like the book-keeping for xp. Coming from 3.P, it's a piece of cake.

What I want is a system that gives a moderate amount of xp (so that players level up every 2-4 sessions, depending on RP quality and how much they get done,) but I don't really have a good sense of how 5e scales... I messed around with the idea of giving Level*Level*100 for showing up (and possibly for goals and such too,) but it turns out that while 100 xp at level one is probably more significant than it should be (200 more to go, a full third of required xp for second level,) 22,500 at 14th level (142,500 remaining) is pretty poor comparitively- only just over 1/7th of what's required for 15th level

I thought perhaps the following system might be a little better?

XP for showing up (base xp): 1/? (1/8th? 1/10th or 12th?) of the difference between the minimum to be your current level and the minimum for your next level.
XP for good roleplay: Roughly equivalent to base xp... maybe slightly lower?
XP for excellent roleplay: Slightly higher than base xp? Or maybe you get xp for good -and- excellent RP?
XP for completing a party goal for the session (set at the beginning of the session): base xp, 25% more or less respectively if I think the goal is particularly difficult or easy.
XP for completing a personal goal for the session (set at the beginning of the session): base xp, 25% more or less respectively if I think the goal is particularly difficult or easy.
XP for fighting/cleverly escaping/cowing/negotiating with/nonviolently defeating monsters/NPCs: as normal, perhaps with a bonus for outside-the-box thinking

Let's say that 'base' xp is 1/10th of the difference between current minimum and next level's minimum. A third-level character needs 1800 xp to level up- That means base xp for her is 180. If all she does in a session is show up, she doesn't really accomplish anything... it'll take her ten sessions to level up. On the other hand, if both she and the party set and completes achievable goals (+360), she roleplays well (+180)... Even if they never kill any monsters, she gets 720 XP per session... it'll take her three sessions to level up. Seems a reasonable system to me. But... Is progression supposed to slow down as you level up further? With this system, that wouldn't really happen...

Vogonjeltz
2015-10-20, 04:36 PM
Hello! I'm an inexperienced DM running a 5e game centered around exploration and role playing first, and combat second. I'd like my xp rewards to reflect this, but I'm not sure how. I think Rollplay: The West Marches has a pretty good system for this (if you're unfamiliar, players get xp for killing monsters, completing session goals, and exploring,) but I'm not sure what sort of numbers I want to be using- how do I make a formula that scales to my players' level?

I'd like to give xp for showing up, completing session goals, completing story goals, completing personal goals, and exploration, as well as for killing stuff.

Input would be appreciated. :)

DMG page 260 has guidelines on giving xp, that also has the milestones information. You can use the guidelines on combat encounter difficulty to determine how much xp to give for non-combat challenges. Something you consider a major event would be like a Hard challenge and a minor event an Easy challenge. In general if a player isn't present for a session, they would miss out on XP (this should have the same effect as giving bonus xp to people who show up).

Alternatively, you can just pick level up points in the game, rather than handing out experience.

1Forge
2015-10-20, 06:10 PM
I try to give xp based on the innovation i see. I make a chart and gauge basically 1-10 is it a terrible idea to a genius one. They gain or lose xp based on their preformance (cant go below 0) but this only applies for ideas that A) work and B)are important enough that affect the story.

Kane0
2015-10-20, 07:06 PM

Gotta love the West Marches. I'd advise the actual XP approach for that kind of game, milestones don't work as well with a less well defined plot and varying player/character presence and level.

Donjon, Kobold Fight Club and Goblinist are all very good encounter builders that help you get a feel for the sort of XP budget you should be using.

- Killing Monsters: As per the MM, split between those present. Possibly even reduced a bit to encourage other forms of gathering XP.
- Acquiring Loot, Completing Session Goals, Completing Story Goals: As per an 'easy', 'normal', 'hard' or 'deadly' encounter depending on difficulty and how it plays out, split between those present. Those that contributed but were not present upon completion get a half share.
- Completing Personal Goal: As per 'easy' encounter or less for PCs involved only.
- Showing Up: As per 'easy' encounter split between those present.
- Exploring: As per 'easy' encounter split between those present.

Edit: Alternatively, approach leveling up with a % towards ding. This way the actual numbers matter less between levels and you won't accidentally hand out a whole bunch or too little.
Eg:
- Showing Up: 5% towards next level
- Exploring: 10% towards next level
- Personal Goal: 10% towards next level
- Session Goal: 15% towards next level
- Story Goal: 20% towards next level
- Beat monster: 5% (easy) , 10% (medium), 15% (hard), 20% (deadly) towards next level
- Acquiring Loot: 10% towards next level
- Overcoming trap/puzzle: 10% towards next level
Then tweak up or down depending on how fast you want them to level up. These sample numbers get you +1 level every 2 sessions or so.