PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Spellcasting Paladin?

Bloodzy
2015-10-20, 04:44 PM
Hey guys,

I have a Paladin that supposedly casts spells spontaneously. Here is the template for the paladin I am playing:
Project Heretica Paladin link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?193554-Project-Heretica-not-just-a-Paladin-retooling

It has provided how many spells I can cast per day but how many spells am I allowed to learn?

Thanks in advance for you responses,
Bloodzy

Psyren
2015-10-20, 04:56 PM
Link is broken.

I'm guessing that Paladin is still 4/9 casting in which case I would use PF's Bloodrager (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedClassGuide/classes/bloodrager.html) as a guide for spells known.

Bloodzy
2015-10-20, 05:01 PM
Link is broken.

I'm guessing that Paladin is still 4/9 casting in which case I would use PF's Bloodrager (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedClassGuide/classes/bloodrager.html) as a guide for spells known.

Link updated. Sorry

Honest Tiefling
2015-10-20, 05:04 PM
Table: Paladin spells known
Level01st2nd3rd4th
1st2
2nd2
3rd311
4th32
5th32
6th33
7th4311
8th432
9th442
10th443
11th54321
12th5432
13th5543
14th554321
15th65432
16th65443
17th65543
18th66544
19th76554
20th76555
1 Provided the paladin has sufficient Charisma to have a bonus spell of this level.

It's near the top of the second post, actually. Underneath the section labelled spells, which is pretty close to the class table.

Bloodzy
2015-10-20, 05:23 PM
It's near the top of the second post, actually. Underneath the section labelled spells, which is pretty close to the class table.

I saw that but I assumed that it meant the amount I can cast per day-- but now I see it does say "spells known." So how many can I cast per day then?

Deadline
2015-10-20, 05:27 PM
I saw that but I assumed that it meant the amount I can cast per day-- but now I see it does say "spells known." So how many can I cast per day then?

It's a bit above that, in the class table. The one where it shows your BaB, Saves, Class features, and Spells per Day.

Bloodzy
2015-10-20, 05:40 PM
It's a bit above that, in the class table. The one where it shows your BaB, Saves, Class features, and Spells per Day.

Thanks you. One last question, it says that my spellcasting stat is Charisma.. So how does that effect my spells per day and known spells?
Mine is 22

Deadline
2015-10-20, 06:20 PM
Thanks you. One last question, it says that my spellcasting stat is Charisma.. So how does that effect my spells per day and known spells?
Mine is 22

It's right there in the Spells section:

To learn or cast a spell, a paladin must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a paladin’s spell is 10 + twice the spell's level + the paladin’s Charisma modifier. Like other spellcasters, a paladin can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on the table above. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Charisma score. When the above table indicates that the paladin gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, she gains only the bonus spells she would be entitled to based on her Charisma score for that spell level.

Look in the table in the PHB to see how many bonus spells of each level you get for having a high ability score. Having a high ability score doesn't give you extra spells known, just extra per day.

Bloodzy
2015-10-21, 01:32 PM
It's right there in the Spells section:

Look in the table in the PHB to see how many bonus spells of each level you get for having a high ability score. Having a high ability score doesn't give you extra spells known, just extra per day.

Thanks for the quick reply and information. What if my Charisma score allows a higher level spell to be cast that I am not high enough level to learn.. obviously I can't cast anything, right?

Andezzar
2015-10-21, 01:57 PM
Correct, you cannot get bonus spells for spell levels you cannot cast at all. if you can only cast 1st level spells from your paladin levels you only get the 1st level bonus spells from high CHA, even if your CHA would grant you bonus spells for other levels.

Bloodzy
2015-10-21, 02:31 PM
Correct, you cannot get bonus spells for spell levels you cannot cast at all. if you can only cast 1st level spells from your paladin levels you only get the 1st level bonus spells from high CHA, even if your CHA would grant you bonus spells for other levels.

Gotcha. That clears everything up then. Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Flickerdart
2015-10-21, 02:40 PM
Mine is 22
There's a convenient table in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#tableAbilityModifiersandBonusSpells) for this sort of thing. 22 CHA gives you two extra 1st and 2nd level spells per day, and one extra 3rd and 4th spell per day, if you already cast spells of that level. You gain no extra spells known.

A handy way to remember how to calculate bonus spells is:
For every +1 bonus of your ability score, you get an extra spell per day of that spell level and lower.
Subtract 4 from your ability score's modifier. You get another extra spell per day of that spell level and lower.
Subtract 4 from your ability score modifier again. You guessed it - another extra spell per day of that spell level and lower.

As an example, take a sorcerer with 28 Charisma. Because his modifier is +9, he gets a bonus spell per day of every spell level up to 9. Subtract 4, and then he gets another bonus spell per day of every spell level up to 5. Subtract 4 again, and he gets another 1st level spell per day. Thus his bonus spells are 3/2/2/2/2/1/1/1/1, just like in the table.