PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need one 10K Magic Item for 3.5 2nd level Bard

Luida
2015-10-20, 07:25 PM
Our second level group freed 'something' who warned us that "our people were in danger from Great Evil beyond time." As a reward, each of us get one (1) 10,000 gp magic item. I tried to get our DM to give me a Handy Pouch stuffed with bard toys, but he isn't going for it.

I'm having a hard time trying to create one item that is interesting, fun, and useful, mostly because I don't really understand all the rules about stacking effects into rings or cloaks, or whatever.

I'm fine with the buffing role, and am not planning on getting into melee except for using my spells (found lots of uses for Unseen Servant here!) and Aiding Others with my whip. (An Augmenting Crystal should help there.)

My stats. We had to roll dice, not allocate, hence the odd numbers. I am planning taking a dip as Cleric next time, just so I can use all of the divine/arcane magic items without needing UMD. (We don't have a cleric yet.)

Str 11
Dex 13
Con 10
Int 14
Wis 16
Cha 15

An obvious starting point is the +2 Cloak of Charisma, and then add +1 Deflection, Resistance, and/or Natural Armor. However, a Shadow Cloak might be more fun to start with, since I get that teleport hop three times a day.

But it would be nice to add an Aid spell to it, to get some temporary hit points like the Amulet of Tears (10 Con doesn't go far).

Then there are rings - how many ways can I overpower one ring?

I found on this site, and others, lots of magic items that would be fun and add up to 10K, but don't know how to get that in one item.

I can access pretty much any written material for 3.5, and that includes Dragon magazine. All within reason, of course, but I don't mind pushing the envelope a little. :smallsmile:

Crake
2015-10-20, 07:37 PM
the badge of valor is a 3/day item that increases your next inspire courage by +1. Combined with the inspirational boost spell, and the song of the heart feat at level 3 when you get there, that lets you give your party a total of +4 to hit and damage at level 3, which is pretty big!

Edit: the badge of valor is pretty cheap though, only 1,200 gp

Troacctid
2015-10-20, 07:49 PM
You're on the right track adding common magic item effects, since those are things you'll want basically no matter what, so it's good value. I like the idea of a Shadow Cloak with a +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma (9500 gp).

2015-10-20, 07:50 PM
Then there are rings - how many ways can I overpower one ring?
Ring of the Master Mime
This wondrous ring is a rather interesting creation, but it's abilities are little more than a few minor tricks some mages can perform. In the hands of a creative individual, however, they can lead to much amusement...

This ring has 5 use-activated spell effects, each with their own unique trigger:
Grease (activated by miming the act of jerking off in your targets direction)
Shield (activated by placing your palms in front of you perpendicular to the ground)
Cure Light Wounds (activated by rubbing your hands together before touching your target)
True Strike (activated by making an attack roll with a weapon held by the hand the ring is on)
Disguise Self (activated by pinching the air near your shoulder and pulling the hand away)
Yeah, that looks suitably ridiculous.

EDIT: It's totally custom, though, and some DMs will have a problem with that...particularly when it's being abused like this. My advice for sneaking something like past the DM is to take out the most obviously overpowered bit (the Use-Activated True Strike); either replace it with a different 1st level spell, or leave it off and take your 8000 gp item to go. Use-activated healing might trigger some paranoia as well.

Rubik
2015-10-20, 07:55 PM
Too bad it's not 13k. A lyre of building would be perfect for you.

A couple of level 3 eternal wands and some gauntlets with wand chambers?

Bronk
2015-10-20, 09:28 PM
This seems like a general magic boon, so maybe you could ask for one of your current favored magic items (like if you had a badge of valor already or something) to be enhanced to grant you a feat, which is a possibility brought up in a sidebar in Arms and Equipment Guide, page 128, for 10,000 gold. You could hit up a number of good bard feats, like subsonics, lingering song, etc.

If you're feeling really persuasive, you might try for 'dragonfire inspiration', since it would benefit the entire party, even though it has some prerequisites.

Luida
2015-10-20, 11:06 PM
Crake - yes, Badge of Valor was on my original list of goodies, but it is too cheap for this opportunity.

Troacctid - Shadow Cloak with +2 Charisma is looking good.

AvatarVecna - Ring of Master Mime looks like fun, but I can't find any reference to it, though - where's it from? And custom is okay, if it all adds up. Can I just create a ring from 5 1st level spells? That could be dangerous. :smallsmile:

Rubik - only get one item. Sigh.

Bronk - Unfortunately, being newly Level 2, I don't have anything magical to enhance.

Rubik
2015-10-20, 11:18 PM
How's your UMD? A pair of boots with the qualities of both horseshoes of speed and horseshoes of the zephyr grants you +30' to your base speed AND the ability to hover over ground-bound hazards, walk on water, walk over lava and acid, and avoid stepping on trapped floor-panels. Just make a UMD check once per hour to keep them activated.

Platymus Pus
2015-10-20, 11:33 PM
Gauntlet of heartfelt blows was so close for you too.
I'd recommend it along with Bow of Songs.
Also, a bag of holding type V, the biggest one. is exactly 10 k.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items

2015-10-20, 11:40 PM
AvatarVecna - Ring of Master Mime looks like fun, but I can't find any reference to it, though - where's it from? And custom is okay, if it all adds up. Can I just create a ring from 5 1st level spells? That could be dangerous. :smallsmile:

I made it up. When I said custom, I meant "I used the rules in the DMG to make a brand new magic item that hasn't existed before". If a magic item gives you the ability to use a spell effectively at-will, or if the spell is continuously active (in the case of certain buff spells), it costs (Spell Level) times (Caster Level) times (2000); if it's continuous, it's further multiplied by a modifier based on the spell's duration, and any expensive gold/XP components must also be paid for, but we're focusing on the use-activated stuff.

If you'd rather not use those spells, here's what you do: pick 5 spells, and assign them each a method activation. You can know use those spells at-will using their normal action by activating the magic item, as long as you have it on you. As long as the spells don't cost XP or lots of gold, this will cost 10000. I just picked those 5 because I found them amusing or useful, but you could pick others.

EDIT: And yes, that can be very dangerous. Two rather game-breaking ones are True Strike and Cure Light Wounds, both of which I have on this particular version. And these are just first level spells; cantrips can be cheaper (although I'm not sure what you'd want them for at-will, for the most part), and higher level spells can cost a lot more (a 2nd level spell would be 6000 on its own if it's a cleric/druid/wizard spell, or even more if it's not).

Rubik
2015-10-20, 11:41 PM
Combine a handy haversack with a bag of holding for a larger amount of storage space, while keeping your withdrawals to a move action.

Combine a ring of sustenance with a ring of feather falling and a ring of either jumping, swimming, or climbing, whichever.

Troacctid
2015-10-20, 11:57 PM
I made it up. When I said custom, I meant "I used the rules in the DMG to make a brand new magic item that hasn't existed before". If a magic item gives you the ability to use a spell effectively at-will, or if the spell is continuously active (in the case of certain buff spells), it costs (Spell Level) times (Caster Level) times (2000); if it's continuous, it's further multiplied by a modifier based on the spell's duration, and any expensive gold/XP components must also be paid for, but we're focusing on the use-activated stuff.

If you'd rather not use those spells, here's what you do: pick 5 spells, and assign them each a method activation. You can know use those spells at-will using their normal action by activating the magic item, as long as you have it on you. As long as the spells don't cost XP or lots of gold, this will cost 10000. I just picked those 5 because I found them amusing or useful, but you could pick others.

EDIT: And yes, that can be very dangerous. Two rather game-breaking ones are True Strike and Cure Light Wounds, both of which I have on this particular version. And these are just first level spells; cantrips can be cheaper (although I'm not sure what you'd want them for at-will, for the most part), and higher level spells can cost a lot more (a 2nd level spell would be 6000 on its own if it's a cleric/druid/wizard spell, or even more if it's not).

Multiple effects on the same slotted item impose a 50% cost increase for each one after the first. Also, the True Strike you've got on there is quickened, which increases the price significantly. A more accurate estimate for your ring would be 102,000 gp.

2015-10-21, 12:04 AM
Multiple effects on the same slotted item impose a 50% cost increase for each one after the first. Also, the True Strike you've got on there is quickened, which increases the price significantly. A more accurate estimate for your ring would be 102,000 gp.

To your first point, I thought that was replaced with some rules in the MIC. To your second...the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#useActivated) doesn't seem to indicate use-activated spell items take the same action as the spell in question, the spell is created by the item's trigger...in this case, attacking. I'm not seeing anything that requires the spell to be quickened to work the way I've described it.

Eisfalken
2015-10-21, 12:10 AM
There are two basic options.

For a weapon, consider the crystal echoblade (MIC pg. 49), which gives you bonus damage when using bardic music. It only costs 4,310 gp, so you can alter it slightly. Make it a rapier (+10 gp), add a wand chamber (Dun pg. 34, +100 gp), give it slow burst property (MIC +5000 gp). This makes it 9,420 gp, and it's pretty useful if you end up going for dragonfire inspiration ACF, plus it's really great to slow down melee attackers to give you a better edge over them.

For armor, consider a +1 blueshine blurring easy travel mithral chain shirt (MIC 8,250 gp); make it sanctified (Dun pg. 34, +50 gp) so that it counts as as a divine focus for your cleric spells. Add masterwork armor spikes (+350 gp) so you can enchant them later on. Add durable property (Dun pg. 39, +500 gp). This makes the armor a total of 9,150 gp. Look to get roaring armor property later on, and to enchant the spikes with properties like eager and warning.

Rubik
2015-10-21, 12:21 AM
If you get your paws on a +1 weapon of some sort, go to the MIC and start stacking weapon crystal properties onto a weapon crystal. The properties are cheap, and you should be able to stack quite a few onto a single crystal that can be transferred to any +1 or better weapon you acquire in the future.

A necklace of adaptation combined with a chronocharm of your choice would be an excellent defense against all sorts of problems.

Troacctid
2015-10-21, 12:30 AM
To your first point, I thought that was replaced with some rules in the MIC.
Nope, they just added some rules for common effects.

To your second...the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#useActivated) doesn't seem to indicate use-activated spell items take the same action as the spell in question, the spell is created by the item's trigger...in this case, attacking. I'm not seeing anything that requires the spell to be quickened to work the way I've described it.
Scroll up a bit.

Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description indicates otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, regardless of the type of magic item, unless the item description specifically states otherwise.

Custom magic items don't have an item description, so it can't say otherwise. That means it defaults to the standard casting time for the spell.

2015-10-21, 12:36 AM
Nope, they just added some rules for common effects.

Scroll up a bit.

Custom magic items don't have an item description, so it can't say otherwise. That means it defaults to the standard casting time for the spell.

Very well then: the ring could only have up to 3 such 1st level spells, and True Strike can't be one of them. Three 1st level CL 1 spells at-will is still pretty useful, especially Cure Wounds (not great in-combat healing, but still).

Know(Nothing)
2015-10-21, 12:52 AM
Sudden Stunning from DMG2 is a must-have for any Cha-based character.

Troacctid
2015-10-21, 01:04 AM
Very well then: the ring could only have up to 3 such 1st level spells, and True Strike can't be one of them. Three 1st level CL 1 spells at-will is still pretty useful, especially Cure Wounds (not great in-combat healing, but still).

Make it command-activated and you can fit four. Although I think I'd actually be more inclined to just have fewer than that, and then add common effects to it--particularly that Charisma bonus, which I think is important.

Luida
2015-10-24, 11:05 AM
I was taking the Crystal Echoblade idea, and applying it to a whip, then adding Ability Strike (Cha) and a Wand Holder, until I had the WTF? moment. I'm as squishy as they come, with a 10 Con. I don't want to be within 30 feet of combat (with Enlarge) much less 15 feet normally.

Soooo....I went back to the +1 ShadowCloak with +2 Cha (More fun & I plan on using the extra spells)

-OR-

Amulet of Tears (Swift Action, 1 charge: 12 temporary HP. 2 charges: 18 temporary HP. 3 charges: 24 HP) 2300gp with a +2 Con enhancement (4000).

Leaves money on the table, isn't as much fun to play with, but it makes me less squishy.

My DM doesn't allow things like costing less for Bard-activated items (which DMG is everyone referring to?), and I'm (gently) arguing with him that adding the Charisma/Con falls under table MIC 6-11 and thus doesn't incur a penalty.

2015-10-24, 11:15 AM
I was taking the Crystal Echoblade idea, and applying it to a whip, then adding Ability Strike (Cha) and a Wand Holder, until I had the WTF? moment. I'm as squishy as they come, with a 10 Con. I don't want to be within 30 feet of combat (with Enlarge) much less 15 feet normally.

Soooo....I went back to the +1 ShadowCloak with +2 Cha (More fun & I plan on using the extra spells)

-OR-

Amulet of Tears (Swift Action, 1 charge: 12 temporary HP. 2 charges: 18 temporary HP. 3 charges: 24 HP) 2300gp with a +2 Con enhancement (4000).

Leaves money on the table, isn't as much fun to play with, but it makes me less squishy.

My DM doesn't allow things like costing less for Bard-activated items (which DMG is everyone referring to?), and I'm (gently) arguing with him that adding the Charisma/Con falls under table MIC 6-11 and thus doesn't incur a penalty.

Dungeon Master's Guide. Limited user items are a perfectly reasonable line to draw in the sand, although not allowing stack effects like that is kinda weird to have.

Luida
2015-10-24, 12:43 PM
I haven't hear back from the DM re the Table. I think he doesn't want to 'fess up right away, but I'm not worried about it. :smallsmile:

Thank you! I finally found the paragraph about class limitations - just didn't read far enough in that paragraph. Now to see if he would allow it.

So, for the +2 Charisma Shadowcloak, I should be able to add the +5 Resistance (4000) and still make it under the limit.

Now, he is big on the rule of adding the 1/2 again amount for adding other things. So if I wanted all the effects of Amulet of Tears (2300), Amulet of Retributive Healing (2000), Badge of Valor (1400), plus either +2 Charisma or Con (4000), would that be just under the 10K limit, or does the 1/2 again amount apply for *each* effect added? And yes, I know you can't normally add Charisma to the Throat slot, but since this is supposed to be limited to Bards, he might go for it.

2015-10-24, 12:49 PM
I haven't hear back from the DM re the Table. I think he doesn't want to 'fess up right away, but I'm not worried about it. :smallsmile:

Thank you! I finally found the paragraph about class limitations - just didn't read far enough in that paragraph. Now to see if he would allow it.

So, for the +2 Charisma Shadowcloak, I should be able to add the +5 Resistance (4000) and still make it under the limit.

Now, he is big on the rule of adding the 1/2 again amount for adding other things. So if I wanted all the effects of Amulet of Tears (2300), Amulet of Retributive Healing (2000), Badge of Valor (1400), plus either +2 Charisma or Con (4000), would that be just under the 10K limit, or does the 1/2 again amount apply for *each* effect added? And yes, I know you can't normally add Charisma to the Throat slot, but since this is supposed to be limited to Bards, he might go for it.

Firstly, I'm pretty sure +5 Resistance to all saves is 25000, not 4000.

Secondly, the half-again thing is "the most expensive effect is normal price, every other one is 150% normal price"...I think that's how it works, although I might be mistaken.

Luida
2015-10-24, 01:11 PM
I was looking at Resistance to Energy as opposed to Saves, which is really what I would want. But, per the MIC, even that is not that bad. I could get a +2.

I *think* either way I calculate the Amulet, it works out.

2015-10-24, 01:39 PM
Oh that makes more sense. What's it might come down to is whether your DM sees item stacking as "additional effects" worthy of the x1.5 cost, or as "slotless items" for the double cost (I've handled it both ways as a DM before, depending on the item).

Bronk
2015-10-24, 05:31 PM

If that's the case, you should consider taking a Tan Bag of Tricks, and just throw an endless stream of lions, tigers, bears, rhinos and warhorses at your enemies instead. Maybe you could add a slotless magic affect on top of it to round out the price.

Rubik
2015-10-24, 06:04 PM
A bag that creates a bunch of tree feather tokens that just happens to contain 10,000 gp worth of them?

mabriss lethe
2015-10-24, 07:33 PM
I'm going to vote for a Nightcaller from Libris Mortis. (Costs 7K, I think. It's a whistle that lets you have pair of loyal undead beatsticks if you play it over an occupied grave at night/in the dark. )Follow it up with the Requiem feat as soon as you can. also, invest in a shovel. New and interesting corpses aren't going to bury themselves.

Luida
2015-10-24, 07:56 PM
Alas, my chaotic good character wouldn't deal with the undead, but the Tan Bag of Tricks sounds like real fun! However, I think I need some buffing first. But I'm getting great ideas about future buys. heh heh heh.

We'll see what my DM says about my buffed cloak or amulet tomorrow. Will let you all know!

Thanks.

Luida
2015-10-26, 08:46 PM
I went with the buffed Amulet and my DM let me add Cha instead of Con since it is specific to a Bard. And he gave me the 30% reduction.

However, he said that, 1) the rules for creation are a mess and confusing, and that 2) the way he reads it, it still requires 1.5x of highest priced item. And he's the DM.

But, with the 30% reduction, I was still within the limit, so all was good.

And boy, was it necessary! Our next incident after that had most of us rolling 2's and 3's for Initiative, with the highest at 9. Needless to say, we all went after the Death Dogs. I had already given myself the temporary HP boost before actual combat, so I was good when I got whacked for 14 HP of damage, given that I only had 10 HP to start.

Thanks for all your help! I've learned some great things on this board, and others, for playing a bard, and also for what I'm going to buy next. :smallsmile:

gadren
2015-10-26, 09:04 PM
If absolutely anything within the price range is allowed, go for an intelligent magic item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm) with the ability to cast spells. It has a separate set of actions from you, so if it can, for example, cast True Strike 3/day, it could cast it on you and then you could attack in the same round because you didn't use up your own standard action to cast it.

Ring of the Crusader
Alignment: Neutral Good (or what alignment is compatible with yours)
10 Int, 13 Wis, 13 Cha, Empathic, 60ft vision and hearing, Ego 4 (2000 gp base cost)
Lesser Power: Can cast True Strike on the wearer 3/day (+1000 gp)
Lesser Power: Can cast Cure Moderate Wounds (2d8+3) on the wearer 3/day (+6500 gp)
GP: Value 9500 gp