PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Metamaneuvers [Brainstorming; PEACH]

Amechra
2015-10-21, 02:03 AM
I know there have been a ton of approaches, but here's a new one. It's a bit complicated to explain, so here's a quick proof of concept:

Rapid Strike Training [Fighter]
WORDS WORDS NO ONE READS THIS
Prerequisites: Stuff that means that you'll be at minimum level X.
Benefits: Upon taking this feat, lose one of your Maneuver Readied slots, and replace it with a Rapid Maneuver slot. This slot functions exactly like a Maneuver Readied slot, except that it can only be recovered through five minutes of practice; in addition, any standard action strike prepared in that slot may be initiated as a Swift action, and any full-round action strike in that slot may be initiated as a Standard action.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times, each time replacing an additional Maneuver Readied slot with a Rapid Maneuver slot.

So yeah - you trade spammability for a more potent benefit that you are going to get once per encounter at best.

Almarck
2015-10-21, 02:07 AM
So basically metabolic as applied to manuvers? I'm guessing this is quicken. Well I certainly think it works great as a combo finisher.

Tell me does this mean you can use two manure version number the same turn ?

Also Perhaps some examples of empower, maximize and widen?

And why does it remove slots and need to be taken multiples times to use multiple times? Would a better solution be not when manuvers are readied, you may choose to select a need a select number of them to be metaed

Zaydos
2015-10-21, 02:38 AM
How is this supposed to interact with Adaptive Style?

It's stronger than most feats, in that it allows a warblade to use say Strike of Perfect Clarity (~30% chance of 1 shotting a balor with right basic build) or Diamond Nightmare Blade (slightly higher damage 70% of the time) as a swift action, and changes it from requiring starting adjacent to a balor to kill it reliably (Raging Mongoose + TSS will do the job usually) to being able to usually kill anything with less than 300 hp fairly reliable with Strike of Perfect Clarity + Diamond Nightmare Blade at 17th level. On a swordsage it's simultaneously better in that recovering maneuvers is a worse tactic and is less likely to be needed, and worse in that Inferno Blade adds an average of 122 damage (assuming all 3 hits and haste) or 82 with Fire Resistance 10, which is better than Raging Mongoose or any Warblade boost.

Crusader it gets blurrier. Mostly because of their recharge mechanic and that I'm just less familiar with how they work.

I might consider not allowing maneuvers of your highest or highest 2 levels. Stops it from doubling your damage output for 1 round/encounter, while still leaving it a substantial boost to damage.

Eldan
2015-10-21, 05:02 AM
Hmm. I see where you're getting at. That said, I'm not sure you quite need to actually replace slots. How about you just make it like "you have the option to once per encounter execute a strike quicker (as you wrote it), but then can not recover that same strike for the rest of the encounter"?

noob
2015-10-22, 03:53 PM
Rapid Strike Training would be useful for a crusader wanting to spam his high level abilities since they basically can reduce their choice by removing one low level ability and then since they cycle through less abilities they have more frequently the ones they want.

Sorry I did interpreted wrongly you do not choose an ability you choose a slot.