PDA

View Full Version : Attacks of Opportunity for Everybody!

lillitheris
2007-05-24, 02:28 PM
I've found Robilar's Gambit and Combat Reflexes and I'm curious, what other feats might help increase the amounts of attacks of opportunity I can take to truly ridiculous levels.

Indon
2007-05-24, 02:35 PM
You were asking about epic feats and such a little while back, right? There's an epic feat, "Improved Combat Reflexes" which completely removes the dex limitation on the number of AOO's you can take per round. I think it's in the epic players' handbook.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-24, 02:36 PM
it's called something like that.

Jasdoif
2007-05-24, 02:37 PM
You were asking about epic feats and such a little while back, right? There's an epic feat, "Improved Combat Reflexes" which completely removes the dex limitation on the number of AOO's you can take per round. I think it's in the epic players' handbook.Yes. Conveniently, it's also in the epic section of the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedCombatReflexes).

lillitheris
2007-05-24, 02:42 PM
Yeah, we are starting at level 20. I'm actually planning on taking that one on my very next feat I can take.

I just want to make sure I've got all I can before then.

Yuki Akuma
2007-05-24, 02:45 PM
Yeah, we are starting at level 20. I'm actually planning on taking that one on my very next feat I can take.

I just want to make sure I've got all I can before then.

...Why? It's only a level away. Isn't that a bit of a waste of feats if you take another that completely negates them?

It's like starting at tenth level and choosing Weapon Focus. What's the point?

Indon
2007-05-24, 02:46 PM
...Why? It's only a level away. Isn't that a bit of a waste of feats if you take another that completely negates them?

Well, any feat that would give more opportunities for AOO's, I imagine, would be appropriate to suggest. I just couldn't think of any.

Edit: Oh! Tome of Battle has a feat that lets you take a 5-foot step instead of an AOO, that's something to contemplate at least.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-24, 02:49 PM
Slapping Hand spell.

Suzaku
2007-05-24, 02:54 PM
Now my question does this Half-orge pulls this off?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html

Combat reflexs only allows you to AoO once on any single target in any given round.

edit wait srd doesn't say anything about it but I remember reading it in the PHB.

lillitheris
2007-05-24, 03:02 PM

It's like starting at tenth level and choosing Weapon Focus. What's the point?

How does taking Improved Combat Reflexes negate Combat Reflexes and Robilar's Gambit?

Mad Wizard
2007-05-24, 03:02 PM
Actually, Combat Reflexes allows 1+Dex mod attacks of opportunity per round.

Edit: What it does say, however, is only one attack of opportunity per opportunity.

Indon
2007-05-24, 03:04 PM
How does taking Improved Combat Reflexes negate Combat Reflexes and Robilar's Gambit?

It doesn't negate them. Combat Reflexes is a requirement, and the Gambit gives you more chances at AOO's. I think Yuki is assuming you wanted more feats that increased you AOO limit, rather than increasing the number of circumstances in which you evoke AOO's.

lillitheris
2007-05-24, 03:08 PM
I think Yuki is assuming you wanted more feats that increased you AOO limit, rather than increasing the number of circumstances in which you evoke AOO's.

Ah, no I was more interested in the number of circumstances than limit.

Droodle
2007-05-24, 03:11 PM

Combat reflexs only allows you to AoO once on any single target in any given round.

edit wait srd doesn't say anything about it but I remember reading it in the PHB.I think Roy is being subject to two AoO's because he is charging and the Ogre has the "Hold the Line" feat. The first attack of opportunity happens due to the fact that Roy is charging into the Half Ogre's threatened area (from Hold the Line). The second comes from "leaving" the half ogre's threatened area by stepping into 5' range. You don't need to have a 15 foot reach with a spiked chain to pull this off (you can accomplish something pretty close to this with a longspear, combat reflexes, and the spring attack chain), but it won't be as optimal. That said, I think a small or medium sized creature could pull this off with a whip dagger just as easily as a half-ogre could with a spiked chain.

The_Snark
2007-05-24, 03:14 PM
Take Martial Stance (thicket of blades). You'll need to be at least level 10 and have Martial Study to get that, but it'll make 5-ft steps provoke attacks of opportunity, and they can't withdraw.

Then take Defensive Sweep, from the PHBII, so that if they stand still in your threatened area they provoke an attack. Normally, this is pretty useless because they can just take a 5-ft step, but with Thicket of Blades... catch-22. They provoke if they move at all, they provoke if they don't. Combine with a reach weapon.

Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit can both work at the same time, giving you an attack every time someone attacks you and another one if they actually hit, but it's not a good idea to do this unless you have a lot of hit points.

Deft Opportunist, from Complete Adventurer, gives you +4 on all your attacks of opportunity, which is useful.

Jasdoif
2007-05-24, 03:15 PM
edit wait srd doesn't say anything about it but I remember reading it in the PHB.It's hiding in the SRD, but it's there (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm#combatReflexes).

Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-24, 03:28 PM
Karmic strike, like robilar's gambit, but when you get hit, you hit back. -4 AC.

Hold the line, as mentioned. AOO on charges.

Close quarter defense allows AOO's against people who make a special manuver, even if they have the feat that prevents the AOO (but at -10)

Canny opportunist allows AOO's on people drawing weapons, loosing/readying shields, and feinting.

Exploit adjustment lets you make AOO's on people who 5 ft step from an adjacent square to another adjacent square.

Defensive sweep allows AOO if opponent doesn't move.

That's all I can think of for now.

JaronK
2007-05-24, 03:44 PM
Defensive Throw isn't quite an attack of opportunity, but it does let you trip anyone who attacks you and misses if they're your dodge target.

JaronK

Person_Man
2007-05-24, 04:21 PM
You can also just increase your reach. People walking through your threatened area provoke.

So, a Knight (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=2)/Psychic Warrior with:

Maxed out Expansion (Huge Size = base 15)
Inhuman Reach (+5)
Deformity Tall (+5)
Extended Reach (+5)
Spiked Chain (*2)

So, that's 60 feet of reach.

Bulwark of Defense: Anyone starts their round in your threatened area treats all squares that you threaten as difficult terrain. (10 feet to move one square, can't charge!)

Vigilant Defender: Increases Tumble DC through your threatened area by your Knight level.

Normal AoO: Anyone moving through your threatened area takes an AoO.

Hold the Line: Anyone charging into your threatened area takes an AoO.

Knock-Down: Free Trip Attempt and follow up attack whenever you deal 10+ points of damage.

Knock-Back: Gives you a free Bull Rush with every Power Attack hit.

So anyone trying to get close to you is hit back. Anyone close to you can't move, is tripped, and then is hit back. The only way anyone can even try to kill you is magic, ranged weapons, or flight (and even flight would be questionable). Just search the boards for my Flaming Homer build if you'd like to see the insane version of this.

Honestly, if a Rob's Gambit AoO build is what you want, I'd go with Knight 20. You'll have plenty of feats from levels to do what you want. And Loyal Beyond Death is such an uber ability that it begs to be used for a ECL 20 campaign. Just get a big reach and have a friendly caster use Enlarge Person on you.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-05-24, 04:58 PM
Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit can both work at the same time...Arguable. The triggering conditions are different, but they're both satisfied by the same single action, which causes many DMs to frown upon the combination, where by "frown upon" I mean "completely disallow."

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-24, 09:24 PM
You can also just increase your reach. People walking through your threatened area provoke.

So, a Knight (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=2)/Psychic Warrior with:

Maxed out Expansion (Huge Size = base 15)
Inhuman Reach (+5)
Deformity Tall (+5)
Extended Reach (+5)
Spiked Chain (*2)

So, that's 60 feet of reach.

Big problem with that of course, is that you're dumping in like 5-6 feats(Aberration Blood, possibly 1 more Aberrant Feat, Inhuman Reach. Willing Deformity, Deformity: Tall. Extended Reach) for the 15' of reach, thereby limiting the number of Feats you're allowed(which could be used to increase AoOs). :smallfrown: Psychic Warrior helps to mitigate this some(granting Bonus Feats every 3rd level or so), but I would start hunting down Full BAB PrCs that grant Bonus Feats at a similar rate once you hit like PWar 4(which is when you can get Expansion, I think).

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-24, 09:49 PM
Expansion is a first-level PWar power.

BardicDuelist
2007-05-25, 07:55 AM
What book is Canny Oppertunist in?

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-25, 08:41 AM
Expansion is a first-level PWar power.

Well, it also depends on how many times a day you want to Expand and how large you want to be each time.:smalltongue:

Renx
2007-05-25, 08:48 AM

I'm more concerned over why Roy doesn't get a hit in. Even if he charges and is hit twice, he should get his hit in.

Person_Man
2007-05-25, 09:28 AM
Big problem with that of course, is that you're dumping in like 5-6 feats(Aberration Blood, possibly 1 more Aberrant Feat, Inhuman Reach. Willing Deformity, Deformity: Tall. Extended Reach) for the 15' of reach, thereby limiting the number of Feats you're allowed(which could be used to increase AoOs). :smallfrown: Psychic Warrior helps to mitigate this some(granting Bonus Feats every 3rd level or so), but I would start hunting down Full BAB PrCs that grant Bonus Feats at a similar rate once you hit like PWar 4(which is when you can get Expansion, I think).

Normally, I would agree with you. But it's a 20th level build. This build only needs 10 feats to be highly effective:

Aberration Blood
Inhuman Reach
Willing Deformity
Deformity Tall
Inhuman Reach
Extended Reach
Combat Expertise
Combat Reflexes
Improved Trip
Knock-Down

If you can squeeze in EWP Spiked Chain, Hold the Line, Mageslayer, and Robilar's Gambit (14) then you're basically untouchable. That's certainly attainable from class levels (7), human (1), flaws (2), and Psychic Warrior (1-8). Knight also offers up to 4 bonus feats, though its off a mediocre list. Plus I assume they will gain levels after the start of the campaign, in which case she can just be a Fighter or a Psychic Warrior for the bonus feats.

Everything else is just gravy.

lillitheris
2007-05-25, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately, Psychic Warrior isn't an option because psionics aren't allowed in this particular campaign. I was originally going to go with a psionicist of some kind until I found that out.

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-25, 11:03 AM
Then just go with a Large race(if you can soak up the LA), Inhuman Reach, etc. Personally, I'd allow Deformity: Tall to work on anyone above Small. Ditto for the Aberrant Feats(I don't believe only Humanoids should be taintable with Aberration blood. Besides which it doesn't actually say "Type: Humanoid". :smalltongue:

DreadArchon
2007-05-25, 12:14 PM
Sneak Attack of Opportunity is good if you're a Rogue. It doesn't get you more attacks, but it sure makes 'em hurt!