PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Elemental Rock Band

Meepo_
2015-10-21, 12:15 PM
So, I need some help from you guys. I want to create a full party of legal, powerful D&D 3.5 characters who can double as a rock band. Bard multi-/prestige classing preferred.

I'm not that well-versed in all the splatbooks that I should be so I want to know if this would be possible:

A Singer; I'm considering a Hermaphroditic Banshee who uses sonic attacks
A Drummer; Probably an earth elementalist with giant battle hammers
A Lead Guitarist / Lute Player; preferably with an electrically-charged instrument that can fire projectiles like a bow
A... Something Else; maybe a flutist who uses air attacks, or maybe a bassist or a keyboard player... not sure here

I want to use this party for an actual campaign. The current idea is cornbread-related, but really anything can be made 10x cooler with a medieval magic rock band.

Deadasadoor
2015-10-21, 12:23 PM
I've actually thought of something similar before. For the drummer, you could have a warrior or cleric that uses Lightning Maces shenanigans to beat people to death with his drumsticks.

Red Fel
2015-10-21, 12:37 PM
Pity you're not allowing Pathfinder material. Undine Bards get an archetype called Watersinger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-undine/watersinger), which is basically a cross between what you're describing and an Avatar-esque Waterbender.

One thing that fits what you're describing quite nicely is the Stormsinger PrC from Frostburn. It explicitly requires Bardic Music, so you're set there. It's a 10/level PrC with 10/10 spellcasting progression that allows you to use Bardic Music to fuel a list of storm-based abilities, up to and including Storm of Vengeance, as the spell.

Another option is for one of the PCs to be a Dragonblood race and use Dragonfire Inspiration, since it adds elemental charge to attacks.

Yet another option is to use Bard as an arcane-casting segue into Jade Phoenix Mage from Tome of Battle. It won't progress your Bard abilities (other than casting), but it will give you some sweet fire-based abilities, including an explosion of green fire. Yeah, that's pretty metal, right there.

Nifft
2015-10-21, 12:55 PM
So, I need some help from you guys. I want to create a full party of legal, powerful D&D 3.5 characters who can double as a rock band. Bard multi-/prestige classing preferred.

I'm not that well-versed in all the splatbooks that I should be so I want to know if this would be possible:

A Singer; I'm considering a Hermaphroditic Banshee who uses sonic attacks
A Drummer; Probably an earth elementalist with giant battle hammers
A Lead Guitarist / Lute Player; preferably with an electrically-charged instrument that can fire projectiles like a bow
A... Something Else; maybe a flutist who uses air attacks, or maybe a bassist or a keyboard player... not sure here

I want to use this party for an actual campaign. The current idea is cornbread-related, but really anything can be made 10x cooler with a medieval magic rock band. Awesome idea. Here are some alternate suggestions for specific characters:

- Singer = Air = [Language-Dependent] and Power Word focused Sorcerer / Dracolexi. Flight and [Lightning] attack spells also appropriate.

- Lead Guitar = Fire = Axe-using Warblade / Bard (Song of the White Raven + Dragonfire Inspiration). Try to talk the DM into allowing you to swap out Stone Dragon and gain Desert Wind instead.

- Drummer = Earth = Dwarf Psychic Warrior with Stomp and a big hammer. "Drum solo" = expansion. If you want a more high-optimization character, then use Claws of the Beast and proclaim yourself a mole person. Obviously, this is the group's hipster. ("I beat the Temple of Elemental Evil before it was cool." -- "The Astral Sea is just too mainstream." -- "You don't listen to the Lords of Dust? I guess they're too underground for you.")

- Bass = Water = Cloistered Cleric Archer (longbow slightly taller than character, just like a bass). Water is often themed as "healing", and bass is usually a support instrument, but those are both rather weak fits, so add in a focus on [Cold] spells and damage, and use the Winter's Blast [Reserve] feat when you get stuck in melee. Clerics get enough [Cold] spells even without any particular Domain.

Meepo_
2015-10-21, 02:33 PM
These are amazing, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!