PDA

View Full Version : Baleful Utterance - Am I missing something?

Ceres
2007-05-24, 02:38 PM
The warlock invocation Baleful Utterance can be taken at first level, and gives you unlimited shatter with added daze and deafness. I am a bit uncertain on some of the rules, but it seems extremely powerful. I have a few questions about it for anyone who would like to enlighten me.

Firstly, how exactly are the rules for the saving-throws of objects? I thought it was so that nonmagical objects didn't have saves at all (playing 3.0), but since shatter is negated by a will-saving throw and can only affect nonmagical objects I must be mistaken. Also, how are the rules for the saves of magic-items?

Secondly, can shatter be used to destroy parts of an item? Could, for instance, a sixth level warlock destroy 60 pounds of a wall every round? Or could a first-level one destroy only the handle of a greataxe? If not, could you help me create a somewhat logical explanation for this? (Even though some catgirls might get hurt in the process)

Thirdly, can you destroy the armour or clothes of someone using the spell?

Any help would be appreciated.

DaMullet
2007-05-24, 02:42 PM
Unattended items get no saving throw, but attended items (like the fighter's sword, or the wizard's spell component pouch) use the owner's save.

Ceres
2007-05-24, 02:43 PM
Now I know!

And knowing is half the battle

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-24, 02:51 PM
Firstly, how exactly are the rules for the saving-throws of objects?
Answered by DaMullet

Secondly, can shatter be used to destroy parts of an item? Could, for instance, a sixth level warlock destroy 60 pounds of a wall every round? Or could a first-level one destroy only the handle of a greataxe? If not, could you help me create a somewhat logical explanation for this? (Even though some catgirls might get hurt in the process)
Generally, no. An object is an object, plain and simple. You target the object or nothing at all. Just like you target an entire person with magic missile and not just, say, the spleen.

However, particularly large objects—such as walls and vehicles—are often broken up into sections for the purposes of tracking damage and a few other tasks. In cases such as this, it is reasonble to assume that such items can have their individual components targeted as if they were separate objects. At least for certain effects.

For reference, walls are typically broken up into 10 ft. x 10 ft. sections. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#walls) For particularly thick/dense walls, they likely weigh more than 60 pounds.

Thirdly, can you destroy the armour or clothes of someone using the spell?
Armor and clothes are made of multiple objects. I would say you can specifically target a shirt or breastplate, but that would not affect the pants or greaves.

Naturally, if the item is worn, it is considered attended and recieves a saving throw.

The effect of shattering only a single section of armor upon a character's AC is a task typically left to individual DMs.

Ceres
2007-05-24, 02:56 PM
Hmm... Yes. That it would in the end have to depend on the DM was my initial thought as well. The spell-description is just to diffuse.

Vazzaroth
2007-05-25, 12:18 AM
Generally, no. An object is an object, plain and simple. You target the object or nothing at all. Just like you target an entire person with magic missile and not just, say, the spleen.

You've never launched a spleen-seeking magic missle before?! Your missing out. :smallamused:

TheOOB
2007-05-25, 12:34 AM
A favorite tactic to use with shatter is to have your ally disarm an enemy, then shatter their weapon while it's on the ground, no save allowed.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-25, 09:31 AM
You've never launched a spleen-seeking magic missle before?! Your missing out. :smallamused:
What level spell is that?