PDA

View Full Version : Review the last book you read

Dr._Weird
2007-05-24, 02:55 PM
Simple. Just as the title says, review the book you previously read so we can look for good suggestions/discuss books we've already read. I always feel the need to babble about what I just finished, and I figured you might too.

Seize the Night

Author: Dean Koontz.

Non-Spoilers:

I'd heard a lot about this Dean Koontz guy. Positive things. They were right. The righting style is fluid, and the 500 pages move by perhaps just a bit too quickly. The characters are very likeable, but their Californian surfer slang gets annoying at times. It's the second in a series, but I haven't read the first book and they're not connected so intimately that you must read the first.

The main character has xeroderma pigmentosum- he's extremely sensitive to UV radiation. Hence the title.

The plot is centered around an abandoned military facility, where the classic meddling government scientists thing has been carried out. It's a cliche, but a very nice one, and Koontz does it uniquely.

Spoilers:

I liked the pacing a lot- things were revealed at the right speed, and once the Mystery Train came into play, I was very interested. The high of the book was definitely from when they went in the egg room and weird **** started happening 'til, well, the ending where it started winding down. I also liked how they left Big Head as a plot hook- I'm interested to see what's up with him, and I might pick up the third book sometime.

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

PlatinumJester
2007-05-26, 02:20 AM
Lord of the Flies

Spoilers:

It was good but the plot was complicated and linear. You knew who was going to die but only I managed to figure out that the real villain is/was Simon. Still it is well written and was the book that made sure that every gang of kids in any series/book etc had a fat kid.

If you like Battle Royale, Anti - Communism stuff and/or talking pig's heads then this is for you :smallwink:

LCR
2007-05-26, 07:05 AM
Dubliners by James Joyce

Basically a collection of short stories, revolving around the lives of Dubliners. There isn't much "action" in it, but it's the language and the atmosphere that fascinate me.
I bought it after I tried to read "Ulysses" (and failed ... God, that's complicated. It's worse than the "Zauberberg" by Mann, and then German is my first language), but still enjoyed Joyce's language. You should definitely try and read it, if you're in to all those early 20th-century writers, like Joyce himself, Mann, Hesse, early Camus or Kafka.