PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pouncing Tiger - Martial Controller

Triskavanski
2015-10-21, 01:44 PM
Pouncing Tiger

Pouncing Tiger is a martial controller with a rather unique ability to control a battlefield that stems primarly from use of Dazzling Display to cause the shakened condition, or invoke fear against the enemies as well.

As he increases in ability, he also gets the ability to sicken enemies who are struck by him, along with the ability to cause Debilitating injuries as well. He'll eventually pick up Branch pouce and use that to really get scary.

The reason I took Tekko-Kagi is because of the rules for performance combat has the ability to gain more bonuses when you deal max damage with an exotic weapon gives the largest bonus. The Tekko-Kagi has the small dice size, resulting in the ability to get the performance check more often.
I do also want to slip in two-weapon fighting somewhere, increasing the number attacks, and the greater potential for more performance checks.

Gladiator Fighter/ Thug Scout Rogue

Gladiator Fighter
Weapon Prof (Tekko-Kagi)
Dazzling Display (Tekko-Kagi)

Weapon Focus (Tekko-Kagi)

Unchained Rogue

Fighter
Hero's Display (Tekko-Kagi)
Performing Combatant

Rogue
Rogue Talent?

Fighter
Basic Feat??

Rogue

Fighter
Master Combat Performer
Shatter Defenses

Thoughts? comments? Suggestions?

upho
2015-10-22, 11:23 AM
Interesting... I've seen, built and played quite a few melee demoralizers, but never one which used performance combat. I do see a few potential challenges/problems though, two which are typical for all demoralize builds, and a few which I believe are specific for this build. Starting with the two typical ones:
How is Pouncing Tiger dealing with castings/potions/items of/with remove fear and enemies already immune to fear/mind-affecting? This problem is of course highly dependent on DM play style, campaign and the levels during which this PC is intended to be played, but IME, typically before say 13th level demoralization investments start losing a lot of their value unless immunity can be bypassed. As far as I know, this can only be done via Black Seraph style feats (from DSP's Path of War: Expanded, soon to be released) or, to a lesser extent, via the antipally's 3rd level feature Aura of Cowardice.
How does Pouncing Tiger intend to stack fear effects? As a comparison, there are many ways to build a martial that can be expected to take out (kill) one enemy of a CR = level per round in most combats and levels. A martial build that forgoes that damage potential should have a set of other mechanics (such as control or debuff combos) that can be expected to be at least equally effective. In the case of demoralization, that typically means the build should as soon as possible be able to make at least one enemy (of CR = level) cowering each round, or possibly several enemies frightened or panicked. As far as I can tell, Pouncing Tiger will eventually be able to demoralize enemies to become frightened rather than shaken (and sometimes also sickened), but not panicked or cowering. (The "disable one enemy of a CR = level per round" is of course a very rough benchmark/comparison that may not be valid or applicable to all parties and/or games.)

And the more build-specific concerns/questions:
How does Pouncing Tiger intend to reliably trigger demoralize attempts in combat? It appears he's mainly built for getting free action Hero's Display demoralize checks via the "max damage" performance combat trigger as often as possible. But looking at the math, this seems like a very unreliable combo: Pouncing Tiger must first hit in order to roll damage. Let's assume his typical hit probability versus an average CR 7 enemy at 7th level is about 75% for his first attack and 50% for his second (+14/+9 attack bonus (+6/+1 bab, +5 str, +1 enhancement, +1 WF, +1 misc.) vs. AC 20). If he hits, the probability for rolling max damage is then 33.33%, ignoring the relatively high risk that DR will absorb his low max non-crit damage (about 10 excluding SA). His performance check success chance in normal combat is typically no more than 50% (+4 cha, +2 bab, +2 performance skill ranks, +2 feat, +2 performance weapon, +2 exotic weapon, -4 light weapon vs. DC 20). Pouncing Tiger's first attack thus has less than a 12.5% chance of triggering Hero's Display (0.75 x 0.3333 x 0.5), and his second attack has less than a 8.5% chance (0.5 x 0.3333 x 0.5). So in total, he has less than a 20% chance (1 - (0.875 x 0.915)) of triggering Hero's Display during a turn when he's able to make both his attacks. This means, on average, that he would need no less than four full attacks before the Hero's Display demoralization is triggered, meaning when a typical combat is just about to end or has already ended. In addition, since his primary stat is (probably) Str and he needs a decent Con (and Dex if going for TWF and/or AoO shenanigans), and since he doesn't have Intimidating Prowess, his Intimidate skill bonus is highly unlikely to be better than decent, meaning his demoralize success chance won't be near 100% against most enemies.
Are the Rogue levels really worth it? As a high Str and Intimidating Prowess is the easiest way for a martial to boost his Intimidate bonus into auto-success territory, I imagine Pouncing Tiger won't be taking advantage of the UnRogue's Dex to damage, while he really wants to hit and all the attack bonuses he can find. The thug's demoralize benefits are nice, but the sickening effect can be added through the cruel magic weapon special ability, and the extra duration of shaken aren't needed with Intimidating Prowess and causing the frightening condition is already included in the options Pouncing Tiger would need in order to stack fear options. He's also pretty feat starved until he gets the basic stuff going, which means he really can make good use out of the fighter bonus feats.
Is the Tekko-Kagi really the best choice of weapon? Not only does it get the light weapon -4 penalty to the "max damage" performance combat check, but it also eats up a feat slot and lacks reach (which would help increasing this build's defender/controller potential considerably). It seems to me that the best exotic weapon for this kind of build would be the scorpion whip (proficiency granted for free via Performance Weapon Mastery), along with proficiency with the regular whip (via the EWP feat) for superior reach. Besides the reach potential, the scorpion whip can also be wielded as a light weapon, making it ideal for TWF, and it also has a small damage die. More importantly, it has the disarm and trip features to help with those combat maneuvers, which can also help reliably trigger more Hero's Display demoralize checks. I think this has a lot of flavor and probably works fine, but from an optimization point of view, without also investing in the weapon's advantages (such as trip with a whip), I doubt any weapon is worth a feat slot for this build.
Why Branch Pounce? Seems like a trap feat to me. The bonus is pretty pathetic and extremely situational, at least without flight (if that even works?).
Why "Pouncing Tiger"? I mean, wouldn't the name be more suitable if he actually could pounce (make a full attack at the end of a charge)? :smallwink:

Tip: Have a look at Cornugon Smash (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/cornugon-smash-combat), Black Seraph Annihilation (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EPARqt5jpie03MIXStgFrNK_si6g218bjT4TFbcizPY/edit) and Soulless Gaze (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/damnation-feats/soulless-gaze-damnation) (if you haven't already). I think these three and Intimidating Prowess are the best (or even absolutely vital) options for a martial demoralizer.

Triskavanski
2015-10-22, 03:45 PM
How is Pouncing Tiger dealing with castings/potions/items of/with remove fear and enemies already immune to fear/mind-affecting?

For that, the main Idea I see to shutdown many things that are immune to fear is through the use of things like Anti-magic Field. A 6th level spell. So UMD would be needed, but It would get rid of most magical ways of being immune to fear (Including the Paladin's fear immunity, since Supernatural abilities are surpressed in an Anti-magic field.)

That is at least the main Idea I have so far for that, Obviously not a totally awesome Idea, but it does work.

How does Pouncing Tiger intend to stack fear effects?

This is why we've got the thug class levels. But some additonal Ideas is to include as well, the Soulless Gaze damnation feat. Two of them, and the character is capable of getting all ghost rider with it, invoking the performance combat effect.

How does Pouncing Tiger intend to stack fear effects?
I disagree with the formula used on the performance check having a -4, as the weapon is an exotic weapon which is labled in the +2 area. If the light weapon penalty is suppose to apply, then obviously my choice of weapon is not what I thought it would be. In this particular case It might be better to go with battle poi, so we have elemental effects going off.

Also in addition to the 33% chance for max damage, there is the 5% chance for critical hit, the 100% chance if used in a charge, And the whatever% chance of multiple hits, the chance of Vanquishing an opposte (Which is harder to do with the lessened damage for sure. ) and then we've got first blood as well.

We're going to often using the charge action, preferably with using a climb speed (Either ninja trick or skill unlock) and then pouncing out of the sky onto the enemy with that .

Hitting 3 times increases the performance attempt by +2, and every hit after that increases the check another +2. This is also why we'd be going rogue 4 (at least), because if we can get that first sneak attack in, we can lower the enemies AC down by 4 when I get to 4th level rogue. Of course that would mean we'd need to get two weapon fighting with does lower the chance of hitting down by -2 per attack.

There are a few other ways we can increase the Performance check as well. There is another feat that allows me to combine the the effect of two feats. And another that lets me add my weapon training bonus onto it.

Are the Rogue levels really worth it?

Getting that sneak attack damage, and the injury effect I think makes rogue worth it. If we're really starved for feats, we could use the rogue's talents to pick up battle tricks and weapon training. And well, the fighter doesn't have a whole lot of skill points to use for this sort of thing.

Rogue also gives the leaper rogue talent, whcih could allow me to jump easily from buildings and pounce the target in a blow without taking damage. Then there is the skill unlocks if I wanted, or I could take wall climber ninja trick

Why Branch Pounce?

While situational, there are ways to enhance it. Remember that performing a charge gives you the ability to perform a performance check, 100% of the time you charge.

Why "Pouncing Tiger"?

Mostly this is because of the characters habit of climbing up somewhere and then dropping down on foes, along with the claw like weapons he has. Its also a bit of a homage to 3.5's tomb of nine swords and the magic compendrium who both had items/attacks for something similar.

upho
2015-10-23, 05:59 AM
For that, the main Idea I see to shutdown many things that are immune to fear is through the use of things like Anti-magic Field. A 6th level spell. So UMD would be needed, but It would get rid of most magical ways of being immune to fear (Including the Paladin's fear immunity, since Supernatural abilities are surpressed in an Anti-magic field.)

That is at least the main Idea I have so far for that, Obviously not a totally awesome Idea, but it does work.Unfortunately, I think UMD + AMF is unlikely to work against more than say 20% of the immune enemies you'll face, since these immunities will only rarely be listed as magic or (Su), but more often as an uncategorized ability and commonly as a creature type trait (for example of the undead, construct and vermin types and certain powerful subtypes). Of course, it'll be a slightly more viable method if your DM is evil enough to insist on equipping sentient enemies with cheap 50 gp potions of remove fear or an ability to cast it, but otherwise magic or (Su) immunity is a relatively minor issue IME. Which means dealing with this minor issue through UMD + AMF would be like killing a mosquito with a tactical nuke IMO; hilariously overpriced in terms of the money, equipment, training (skill) and actions required in comparison to the benefits, and having serious "fallout" problems. And it's not an option before rather high levels, when the "fallout" is also likely to cause you more significant problems than it will your enemies, since this combo only helps against enemies affected by both your demoralize and your AMF, and higher CR monsters usually don't need magic in order to be a serious threat (a CR 15 dragon is a formidable foe even without magic while a 15th level PC isn't). Actually all of the similar abilities I can think of would be overpriced in the same ways if primarily used to give Pouncing Tiger's demoralization a way to bypass magic immunity. But if you wanna try this anyways, I really recommend using the much less costly and problematic dispel magic instead, or better simply going barbarian or primalist bloodrager 8+ for Spell Sunder plus Internal Fortitude for rage-cycling. Neither of those two alternatives can bypass (Su) immunity, but that's highly unlikely to be an issue.

Unless perhaps if Pouncing Tiger is EVIL and dreams of scaring the living daylights out of pallys on a regular basis... :smalltongue:

Or in other words: Black Seraph Annihilation. Accept no substitute and no game without it. :smallbiggrin:

This is why we've got the thug class levels. But some additonal Ideas is to include as well, the Soulless Gaze damnation feat. Two of them, and the character is capable of getting all ghost rider with it, invoking the performance combat effect.I believe it's often OK in tougher fights to get mobs of relatively unimportant enemies frightened and have them flee (even if they can regroup, join their other allies and warn them about you), but getting a BBEG frightened without also completely locking him down is often worse than simply getting him shaken IME, since he's likely to simply run away with his often important items/valuable treasure and come back to cause trouble later on. I view the shaken and frightened conditions as relatively weak control/debuff, nice to have but nothing to rely upon for combat effectiveness and rarely worth any major investments. Being able to get a target panicked is considerably stronger since it effectively makes the target unable to fight, making it an ability that can define one's combat role/method and which is worth significant investments. And finally cowering (panicked and unable to flee) is worth more than the previous three put together IMO, as it offers control on the same level as unconscious and dying/dead, while it typically can be made more reliable and predictable than damaging attacks, without the risks of "overdoing it" that dealing damage typically involves.

So once you've decided just how demoralize-focused a build should be, I think the conditions it should be able to impose and the build priorities more or less follows. Going by the build outline in the OP, demoralize is intended to be Pouncing Tiger's primary and defining combat ability, which means I believe his related build priorities are:
Improving demoralization until he can reliably make at least one enemy panicked per round.
Improving his lock-down abilities until he also can reliably make at least one enemy cowering per round.
Making certain his combat style cannot be easily negated (through immunity, high defenses and/or damage avoidance, unusual escape methods etc).
Increasing the number of enemies he can impose the panicked/cowering condition on during his turn (this is where I suspect the performance combat approach could really shine) along with his ability to do the same outside of his own turn.

These priorities may of course shift depending on level etc. and doesn't include more universal priorities (like durability, out of combat usefulness, etc.). I think this also gives a rough idea of what can be considered the minimum required in order to make a demoralize focus competitive with a damage focus, and what to look for once that minimum has been met.

I disagree with the formula used on the performance check having a -4, as the weapon is an exotic weapon which is labled in the +2 area. If the light weapon penalty is suppose to apply, then obviously my choice of weapon is not what I thought it would be. In this particular case It might be better to go with battle poi, so we have elemental effects going off.Well, since the light/1-handed/2-handed weapon categories and the simple/martial/exotic weapon categories aren't mutually exclusive (rather the opposite), the "max damage" RAW says a weapon adds any and all bonuses and/or penalties that applies. You can easily verify this to be true simply by noting the lack of rules for determining whether a weapon takes a penalty, grants a +2 bonus, or neither, which would've been needed since ALL weapons belong to both types of categories.

"Light weapons take a –4 penalty on the check, one-handed weapons grant neither a bonus or a penalty, and two-handed or exotic weapons grant a +2 circumstance bonus on the check."

I actually doubt that a battle poi hit grants a check, seeing that only non-constant specially triggered bursts of energy damage (like crits with a flaming burst weapon) is specifically mentioned, but not constant energy damage (like regular hits with a flaming burst weapon). But I think the rules are extremely badly worded and fuzzy, so I dunno... Ask your DM? But even if it grants checks, I strongly recommend retraining it once you can afford a magic weapon dealing elemental bonus damage (preferably not fire or electricity). The battle poi grants TWF but requires EWP anyways, and it only deals fire damage, which is the most commonly - and highly - resisted damage type (risky to use for a build with low damage output like Pouncing Tiger). And like the tekko-kagi, it's a light weapon that lacks both reach and performance, as well as any combat maneuver related features.

Also in addition to the 33% chance for max damage, there is the 5% chance for critical hit, the 100% chance if used in a charge, And the whatever% chance of multiple hits, the chance of Vanquishing an opposte (Which is harder to do with the lessened damage for sure. ) and then we've got first blood as well.Of course. My point was more that trying to optimize specifically for the max damage trigger, for example by having a weapon with as small a damage die as possible, would be a pretty bad idea. I think for example optimizing charging and/or combat maneuver triggers would be much better, as these can actually become pretty damn reliable.

Still, I believe the main hurdle is the DC 20 performance combat check, which it seems Pouncing Tiger cannot easily boost to a somewhat acceptable reliability before 11th level. But once that happens, triggers from multiple hits, combat maneuvers and charges should easily be able to provide more than three free action checks and associated demoralize attempts for during his turn. With Soulless Gaze (and say Fiendskin) plus Intimidating Prowess, this means he should be able to actually make all enemies within 30 ft. panicked, and maybe also at least one enemy cowering, all in a single turn!

In other words: Absolutely Freakin' Cheesetastic! :smallbiggrin:

We're going to often using the charge action, preferably with using a climb speed (Either ninja trick or skill unlock) and then pouncing out of the sky onto the enemy with that . And out of say 5 combat rounds, how many times do you expect to be able to do this? I frankly don't understand how this feat could be made worthwhile, climb speed or not, since the very action-demanding preparations means you'll probably only very rarely be able to benefit from it every other round, and never every turn (unless perhaps with a high fly speed). And even if you could reliably benefit from it every round, you'd still have to complement this with a proper pounce ability, since the rather insignificant damage bonus it'll add in most combats won't be anyway near enough to compensate for the full attacks you'll have to sacrifice in order to charge every round. In addition, it only adds damage, which this build has very little use for.

Getting that sneak attack damage, and the injury effect I think makes rogue worth it. If we're really starved for feats, we could use the rogue's talents to pick up battle tricks and weapon training. And well, the fighter doesn't have a whole lot of skill points to use for this sort of thing. Hmm... Yeah, debilitating attacks might be worth it. Any way to turn SA into combat maneuvers for additional Hero's Display triggers?

Rogue also gives the leaper rogue talent, whcih could allow me to jump easily from buildings and pounce the target in a blow without taking damage. Then there is the skill unlocks if I wanted, or I could take wall climber ninja trickClimbing and jumping to/from buildings can be useful during a few levels before flight, but don't invest in a feat that only gives you a (poor) damage bonus when you jump down from them. Trust me, Branch Pounce is nothing but a trap.

While situational, there are ways to enhance it. Remember that performing a charge gives you the ability to perform a performance check, 100% of the time you charge. Huh? How does a "Branch Pounce" charge benefit more from the triggered performance check than a normal charge?

Mostly this is because of the characters habit of climbing up somewhere and then dropping down on foes, along with the claw like weapons he has. Its also a bit of a homage to 3.5's tomb of nine swords and the magic compendrium who both had items/attacks for something similar.Ah, of course! I remember some of those...

Triskavanski
2015-10-23, 09:57 AM
Slight problem with the whip. You'd still have the spend the Exotic weapon Prof to get it, as Performance weapon mastery just makes all weapons your prof with gain the performance quality.

Tiger Claws have a slightly easier time with the multiple hits, but somethings that made me pick it the first time,

It can be used as an offensive weapon or defensively like a buckler, or used to disarm an opponent without provoking an attack of opportunity. It provides its owner with a +2 circumstance bonus on attempts to disarm or sunder swords or other slender-bladed weapons.

So I've got the 1d3 if I want to go damage
Switch to +1 sheild bonus
Or I could even just use it to disarm without provoking AoOs, which pretty much saves me on combat expertise and improved disarm.

As for demorilizing Vermin - Unnatural Pressence trait allows you to do that. Or is suppose to

What I might want to do is look into doing more dirty tricks while somehow also doing sneak attack damage, So I can apply as many status conditions as I possible can to an enemy with a single attack action.

Triskavanski
2015-10-23, 01:30 PM
As for enhancing the performance combat.. I don't think there is much of any other way.

The only exception I'd say is the Man Catcher which is a 2h exotic weapon, which also deals 1d2 points of damage, and allows the grapple manuver at 10 foot.

More reasons for Rogue

Intimidate Skill Unlock. This here would increase my ability to use intimidate so that I don't have to worry about stacking the demoralize attempts, rather It starts off scary.

upho
2015-10-24, 04:38 AM
Slight problem with the whip. You'd still have the spend the Exotic weapon Prof to get it, as Performance weapon mastery just makes all weapons your prof with gain the performance quality. True. But you'll of course get a 1500 gp cracked Opalescent White Pyramid (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/opalescent-white-pyramid-ioun-stone) ioun stone as soon as you can afford it. And preferably spend another 500 gp on a Wayfinder to put it in, in effect giving you EWP (whip), EWP (scorpion whip) and WF (whip) for a measly 2000 gp and without having to sacrifice a single feat slot. But I just remembered that the whip doesn't grant threatening reach which was kinda the main point... So, bad idea, sorry.

Instead, if you can squeeze in TWF I recommend a double weapon with reach, which makes the Double-Chained Kama (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/kama-double-chained) the best option by far. It's highly unique advantage is that it allows the wielder to TWF in full attacks and still threaten all squares within 10 feet, without imparting any penalties or requiring any additional actions, feats or class features. Perfect for AoO control tricks at all times and maximum demoralization trigger potential from multiple attacks during your turn, and without the downside of other reach weapons that cannot be used to attack adjacent opponents (so you don't have to invest in stuff like armor spikes). It's also both two-handed and exotic for a +4 bonus and has the trip feature.

Even if you don't go TWF, the Double-Chained Kama is still a good choice, since 1500 gp is easily worth the benefit of being able to attack both adjacent and with reach. But if you decide to specialize in trips, I'd seriously consider the Guisarme instead, as wielding a Dragoncatch Guisarme (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/dragoncatch-guisarme) is the only way to be able to trip at least some flying enemies (those flying by using wings).

So I've got the 1d3 if I want to go damage
Switch to +1 sheild bonus
Or I could even just use it to disarm without provoking AoOs, which pretty much saves me on combat expertise and improved disarm.The +1 shield bonus won't matter beyond the first levels, and considering the low probability of the "max damage" trigger even when using a weapon with a very small damage die, I personally wouldn't let that factor influence my choice of weapon. The "free Improved Disarm" is kinda nifty during the first levels though. But later, unless you're going to specialize in disarm, you'll probably rarely want to make a disarm attempt instead of whatever other (better) combat maneuver you've specializing in. And if you do specialize in disarm, you'll want the whole feat chain anyways, meaning this ability will still only be a benefit during the first levels.

What I might want to do is look into doing more dirty tricks while somehow also doing sneak attack damage, So I can apply as many status conditions as I possible can to an enemy with a single attack action.This sounds like an excellent idea. Not only is Dirty Trick the only combat maneuver that can be kept truly useful during all levels and against a large majority of enemies, it's also very versatile. The only downsides is that it requires a lot of feat investments before it becomes truly action efficient and can be used every round, and that it isn't very good for also triggering additional attacks (and thus more demoralize attempts). If you want an AoO party and tons of "multiple attacks" demoralize triggers, I think trip is the way to go. It also has the advantages of being very effective for lock-down (and thus getting panicked enemies cowering) and general control, has plenty of good support but still doesn't need much investments in order to become useful in every round. The downside is the increasing proportion of flat out immune higher CR enemies further up the levels (although the above mentioned Dragoncatch Guisarme can mitigate that somewhat).

upho
2015-10-25, 01:04 PM
As for enhancing the performance combat.. I don't think there is much of any other way.

The only exception I'd say is the Man Catcher which is a 2h exotic weapon, which also deals 1d2 points of damage, and allows the grapple manuver at 10 foot.Yeah, besides a few spells and what we've already mentioned, the only thing I can think of that could reliably boost the Performing Combatant check (regardless of trigger) would be the Fate's Favored trait and a luckstone for a +2 luck bonus. So it seems performance combat stuff is pretty much limited to actual performance combat before 11th level. Before that, I believe at least a martial character won't have a high enough check bonus to make the benefits reliable enough to motivate the pretty steep costs involved, most notably the many lost feat slots.

But, as I mentioned before, once that can be solved and the support stuff is in place, this is probably the most effective large scale demoralization method in the game. I mean, you can literally end most fights on your first turn since you can easily make every enemy within 30 ft. panicked or worse, at least if you're able to bypass immunity...:smalleek:

More reasons for Rogue

Intimidate Skill Unlock. This here would increase my ability to use intimidate so that I don't have to worry about stacking the demoralize attempts, rather It starts off scary.Not likely, I'm afraid. Notice the save targets are granted? Ruins it. Even if your Intimidate bonus can eventually get high enough to virtually guarantee that you'll succeed with at least a +10 margin against any opponents you'll face it won't matter since most of them, especially of those that are serious threats, will easily make that save. And unfortunately there's absolutely no way you can improve the DC while there are plenty of cheap and readily available options to boost the save bonus.

I'd really like to know what the devs were thinking when designing/approving this. My guess is they didn't. (Think, that is.) I mean, the much higher demoralize DC required (+10/+20) and feat cost would've been balanced with the benefits. But instead some idiot(s) believed the game needs yet another trap option and threw in a save with a DC that scales so poorly it reduces the probability of success with another 80% or so. Likely said idiot(s) was utterly oblivious to the fact that there are tons of immune monsters to begin with and tons of bonuses to saves against fear already in the game, and likely he/she/they also "forgot" about the significant investments a (N)PC needs to make in order to even make certain that save has to be rolled in the first place.

:smallmad:

Sorry 'bout the rant. I'm just so annoyed with how the Paizo devs too often seem to not understand their own game and be terrified of introducing actually useful abilities that do something other than deal damage. Unless we're talking about spells and related options of course, because magic!
*sighs*

Anywho, I was curious to see the potential of this concept in a bit more detail so I've put together a quick build outline based on trip, since a successful trip triggers two performance combat checks and can be great for both generating AoOs and increasing control. The aim is simply maximizing Hero's Display demoralize attempts and lock-down/control power (reach, AoO triggers, hit effects etc) both for general party defense and to get panicked foes cowering (ie block as many potential means of escape as realistically possible). Hopefully it can give you a few ideas for Pouncing Tiger.

Demon-spawn tiefling blood conduit primalist bloodrager 9, gladiator mutation warrior fighter 4, master of many styles monk 2
Large female outsider (native)

SUGGESTED PROGRESSION (Not including retrained feats.)

Lvl

Class

Bonus Feats

Feats

Notable Features

Blood Conduit Primalist 1

Improved Trip

Fiendish Heritage (over-sized limbs)

Bloodrage, Fast Movement

Blood Conduit Primalist 2

-

-

Uncanny dodge

Blood Conduit Primalist 3

-

Dirty Fighting

-

Blood Conduit Primalist 4

Weapon Focus (Guisarme) (ioun)

-

Demonic Bulk, Spellcasting

Gladiator Mutation Fgtr 1

Perform Wpn Mstr, Dazzling Display

Hero's Display (Guisarme)

-

Gladiator Mutation Fgtr 2

Greater Trip

-

-

Gladiator Mutation Fgtr 3

-

Performing Combatant

Mutagen

Gladiator Mutation Fgtr 4

Master Combat Performer

-

-

Master of Many Styles 1

Impr. Unarmed Strike, Wolf Style

Combat Reflexes

Fuse Styles

Master of Many Styles 2

Wolf Trip

-

-

Blood Conduit Primalist 5

-

Vicious Stomp

Spell Conduit

Blood Conduit Primalist 6

Intimidating Prowess

-

-

Blood Conduit Primalist 7

-

Soulless Gaze

DR 1/-

Blood Conduit Primalist 8

-

-

Internal Fort., Unexpected Strike

Blood Conduit Primalist 9

Power Attack

Fiendskin

-

NOTABLE STATISTICS
Values at 15th level with bloodrage and mutagen in red.

Ability Scores, 20-point buy
Str 25 35 16 base, +2 race, +3 level, +4 belt, +4 bloodrage, +4 mutagen, +2 size demonic bulk
Dex 18 16 14 base, +4 belt, -2 size demonic bulk
Con 18 22 14 base, +4 belt, +4 bloodrage
Int 7 5 7 base, -2 race, +2 headband, -2 mutagen
Wis 14 12 base, +2 headband
Cha 18 12 base, +2 race, +4 headband

Skills Intimidate +38 +43, Perform (act) +24, Use Magic Device +19

Traits Fate's Favored, Reactionary

Gear +1 huge furious dueling dragoncatch guisarme, +1 huge furious cruel phase locking cestus, titanic armor, +4 belt of physical perfection, headband (+2 int, wis, +4 cha), luckstone, cracked opalescent white pyramid (guisarme) in wayfinder, gauntlets of the skillful maneuver (trip), flawed scarlet and green cabochon, cracked pale green prism (attack rolls), whatever +5 Intimidate booster, various wands

TYPICAL COMBAT VALUES
Expected typical base values, including bloodrage, mutagen, haste, long arm and strong jaw (which Mary can cast using wands if not cast by ally)

Performance Combat Check Bonus +16 +4 cha, +3 bab, +3 perform skill ranks, +2 feat, +2 performance weapon, +2 luck

Attack Bonus guisarme +33/+27/+22; cestus (unarmed strike) +32/+26/+21; -4 with Power Attack +14 bab, +12 str, +1 WF, +3 enhancement, +2 luck, +1 competence ioun, +1 haste, -1 size, -4 power attack

Guisarme Trip CMB +47, +2 if AoO +14 bab, +12 str, +1 WF, +4 trip feats, +3 enhancement, +7 luck (dueling weapon), +2 gauntlets, +1 competence (ioun), +1 haste, +2 size, +2 wolf trip

Cestus Damage 3d8+15, +8 with Power Attack +12 str, +3 enhancement, +8 power attack

Speed 70 ft.; Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft., 30 ft. with guisarme

EXAMPLE OPENING TURN
Calculations based on Mary's expected base values as above and average/high CR 15 enemy values.

Move - Mary moves into a position where as many enemies and potential escape routes as possible are within 30 ft. of her.
Free - Mary enters bloodrage.
Free - Performance combat check triggered by entering bloodrage, 85% success chance (+16 vs. DC 20).
Free - Demoralize attempt against all enemies within 30 ft., 100% success chance (+43 vs. DC 36), 85% chance of making all non-immune enemies shaken for at least 1 round.
Standard - Trip attempt against enemy within 30 ft. that doesn't fly using magic, 95% chance of knocking enemy prone (+47 vs. CMD 44).
Free - Performance combat check triggered by successful combat maneuver, 85% success chance (+16 vs. DC 20).
Free - Demoralize attempt against all enemies within 30 ft., 100% success chance (+43 vs. DC 36), 85% chance of making all shaken enemies frightened for at least 1 round.
Free - Performance combat check triggered by knocking enemy prone, 85% success chance (+16 vs. DC 20).
Free - Demoralize attempt against all enemies within 30 ft., 100% success chance (+43 vs. DC 36), 85% chance of making all frightened enemies panicked for at least 1 round.
Free - Mary moves the tripped enemy, and it falls prone in an adjacent free space of her choice (Wolf Trip).
AoO - Cestus/unarmed strike Power Attack against the tripped enemy, 36.4 DPR (+28 vs. prone AC 26, 36.5/x2 average damage) and the enemy's speed is reduced by an average of 30 ft. for one round (Greater Trip, Wolf Style). There's also a 95% chance the enemy becomes sickened and bound as by dimensional anchor for at least one round (cruel and phase locking weapon).
AoO - Cestus/unarmed strike Power Attack against the tripped enemy, 36.4 DPR (+28 vs. prone AC 26, 36.5/x2 average damage) and the enemy's speed is reduced by an additional average of 30 ft. for one round (Vicious Stomp, Wolf Style). Which means it's highly likely the enemy is cowering unless it has a speed above 90 ft. (needed to move outside of Mary's melee reach with one move action) or significant defensive abilities not based on dimensional magic.
None - Mary prepares for making AoOs against the first two enemies that will enter or leave squares within her reach in an attempt to either engage her in melee or, more likely, to flee in panic (unexpected strike). Which means she may trip, move and Greater Trip/Vicious Stomp AoO them as well, likely triggering additional performance combat checks and Hero's Display demoralize attempts.

So yeah, the "performance demoralizer" concept obviously works and can be pretty darn effective. I think Mary really is a silly scary controller/debuffer, a total terror-nuke with a 490 square feet impact area that goes off multiple times per round! :smalltongue: And she's probably quite a bit more effective in most fights than any Paizo martial build focusing on damage.

But she also has quite a few weaknesses, like being hysterically feat-starved and thus needing several levels to get her thing going, having a really bad Will save and probably pretty mediocre durability overall plus little to offer outside of combat. Not to mention a large part of her combat method is simply not viable against the many enemies immune to fear/mind-affecting or trip. Might be worth changing her rage powers to Superstition and say Witch Hunter... This kind of build would also really benefit from Dreamscarred Press options (especially Path of War (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war) stuff).