PDA

View Full Version : Improved familiar invocation idea/help

Socko525
2015-10-21, 02:45 PM
EDIT: See post below, I've decided to change from a feat to an invocation for warlocks.

Improved Familiar:
Prerequisite: 7th level, Pact of the Chain feature, Voice of the Chain Master invocation

The list of familiars you have access to is expanded based on your Patron:
Archfey-Cave Bear
The Fiend-Winter Wolf
The Great Old One-Phase Spider

If you wish to use one of the familiars granted by Pact of the Chain, it uses its health of half of your HP, whichever is higher.

eastmabl
2015-10-21, 04:35 PM
You could do it as a feat, which might work okay - but given how much rarer a resource feats are now, I'd suggest that you consider modifying a spell like Animate Undead to do the trick.

My books are at home, but IIRC, Animate Undead gives you raise to an undead creature of a particular CR based upon spell level. For the rest of the day, you control the undead creature, and you can continue to control it by casting the spell over successive days. If you mash together the familiar parts of Find Familiar with the CRs and renewed casting requirement of Animate Undead, you've probably got a decent solution.

You might need to raise the spell level due to the bells and whistles that a familiar gives its master, but I think that sinking a spell slot to keep your fancy familiar is preferable to a resource as limited as feats.

Belac93
2015-10-21, 07:15 PM
A familiar wizard based subclass would be cool. Otherwise I would say either let the spell improve at higher levels, or make it a feat.

Socko525
2015-10-22, 09:22 AM
Updated, it is now a Warlock Invocation, thoughts?

Improved Familiar:
Prerequisite: 7th level, Pact of the Chain feature, Voice of the Chain Master invocation

The list of familiars you have access to is expanded based on your Patron:
Archfey-Cave Bear
The Fiend-Winter Wolf
The Great Old One-Phase Spider

If you wish to use one of the familiars granted by Pact of the Chain, it uses its health of half of your HP, whichever is higher.