PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Apocalypse/Fallout based d20

Barathos
2015-10-21, 08:14 PM
I saw someone asking about this a while back, but I can't seem to find the original post. I was, at the time I saw it, starting work on this system. It's working, but not all the classes are fleshed out. That said, there are 20 classes in total. The feat system has been removed and replaced with a free multi-classing/prestige classing system. It sounds weird, but it's cool. Here's a link to the google doc so far, but we (me and my brother) haven't finished digitizing all the classes, but this describes most of the gameplay and has our guns so far.

Yahzi
2015-10-22, 07:40 AM
D&D seems like a poor choice for that kind of game. I would think GURPS would do better. D&D is pretty much about heroics, and post-apocalyptic survival seems more about the gritty details.

DigoDragon
2015-10-22, 07:47 AM
I don't see the link. Did you forget to post it?

I had looked into d20 Modern as the framework for a post-nuclear apocalypse campaign. Not much needed to be adjusted, other than obvious stuff like food and water being worth more that cell phones.

Aletheides
2015-10-22, 09:04 AM
I was part of a group who did a long-running Morrow Project (long story short, psychic philanthropist foresees nuclear apocalypse in the 80s, plants cryo-sleeper agents [PCs] to wake up afterwards and preserve/rebuild USA) campaign, though we used the TORG/Masterbook system for it... Plenty of room for heroics, while keeping tension and danger for the really big scenes (boss fights, critical operations like defusing an armed nuke, etc.)

Something like that could be adapted to a Fallout-esque game pretty easily, depending on the level of 'heroic' content you want.

There was an ongoing pen-and-paper Fallout project using the SPECIAL system online, but the version I saw was still incomplete, with a lot of polish needed. I actually wrote up a character background "starting packages" addendum for the chargen section, but didn't have any idea how to reach the project author to submit it. Oh well.. :smallannoyed:

If you're into precise numbers and grittiness, there's always Twilight 2000 or Phoenix Command...but they're not widely liked due to the math, and the rules being geared almost solely for combat.

Barathos
2015-10-22, 01:45 PM
Sorry about the lack of link. I meant to reply, don't know what happened. Anyway, I haven't been active long enough and I need to post a few more times to share links so...

As for GURPS, I am not a fan of d6 based systems and prefer the good old d20. There are heroics, however. Our party is taking shelter in the Lions stadium in Detroit so there's not much survival, their government covers that.