PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Making Low Level Simple Magic Items. D&D 5E

1Forge
2015-10-22, 12:11 AM
I just moved my thread ont the 5e board here due to lack of responses... First time posting in a different section of the site sorry if I'm doing it incorrectly.

How strongly would magic items (for a party of 8 at levels 3-4) that have 1 use a day, that cast one 1st-2nd level spell (not the combat ones) unbalance the game? A powerful wizard king guy is going to gift the items after his possessed demon form devours their previous (and very unbalanced items) note that material costs don't apply for these items spells.

so far i'm thinking using:
Absorb elements (buffed: can roll to "catch" the total damage)
Aganazzars scorcher (debuffed: 3d4 15 ft)
Arcane lock
Cordon of arrows (debuffed: 3 arrows 15 ft)
Detect thoughts
(More ideas would be appreciated)

Please note that: The encounters I set for my players are often much higher than the CR should be, I beleive it encourages critical thinking under pressure and creativity, these items probobly wont change the CR gap too much.

Also note that when I said these items can be used "daily" I ment once per sun rise and sunset, these items wont regain their abilities unless they are bathed in the light of a dawn of a new day. (so it doesn't come back underground or anywhere that doesn't see a sunrise)

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-22, 03:35 AM
They're going to have 8 of these items between them? That strikes me as a decent chunk of power and I was going to raise concerns about starting a CR arms race, but it seems like that was what you were going for in the first place, so... go for it?

In terms of comparisons, the Medallion of Thoughts (Detect Thoughts 3/day) is 'uncommon', so chances are all of your items would fall into that category, or 'common' if it's a level 1 spell once/day.

rlc
2015-10-25, 10:20 PM
with that being said, you should also note that the medallion of thoughts is 3 uses per day, while these items will be 1 use per day each, so if we go with each character having an item that casts one low level, non-combat spell once per day, then that would be roughly equivalent to three medallions of thoughts total. since it makes sense to meddle with the cr due to having such a large party anyway, these items really won't tip the balance in the favor of your party. you could probably even get away with using one or two attack or buff/de-buff spells while you're at it.