PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean 3 [Spoilers]

Eldred
2007-05-24, 04:37 PM
So, today it has finally been released. I was kinda half-hearted on this film after Dead Man's Chest, but it seems my opinion has now completely changed... kind of...

I thought it was a very good film. One of the things I was leaping to joy about afterwards is how the writers avoided the "silly" humour they had in DMC (with the giant rolling waterwheel of doom).

The film did seem kinda all over the place at first, however. There was a LOT going on, and I found that I had to keep up otherwise I'd lose the plotline. Thankfully, it tones down as the film progresses.

And the twist at the end of film for Will - I did not see that coming! I was actually hoping Will would get a well-deserved happy ever after ending. I actually think it makes for a nice change, although many watchers on the Internet seem to think the writer's have screwed up because they aren't following a stereotype.

Overall, in my opinion, a very good film! And much better than DMC! :smallsmile:

The ONLY thing that I'm still confused about are the many Jack Sparrows. I know Sparrow's a little crazy, but I completely missed why they were popping up everywhere. Also, now's a better time than any to say how talented an actor Johnny Depp has remained. And Keith Richards looked kick-ass as a pirate! :smallbiggrin:

Geilan
2007-05-24, 11:00 PM
I really liked it.

The clones are part of his partially insane mentality after being trapped in DJ's Locker.

*totally does NOT have a pirate-esque bandana on while he is typing*

Yeah, I didn't see that twist at the end either. I also couldn't see the gender of the kid at the VERY end.

Imrahil
2007-05-24, 11:54 PM
I would just like to take this time to offer my sympathies to all those Jack/Liz shippers out there who will no doubt be upset by the way things turned out.

As a note for the romance aspect of the movie, I'm just glad that they decided not to 'Disney up' the ending. Yes, it's not the most perfect of solutions, but it shows a more real aspect of a relationship.

Also, I believe that it is the third William in the lineage that we see at the end.

Winterking
2007-05-25, 12:14 AM
Ahoy! I loved it! Granted, the ending doesn't seem quite fitting for the genre, but it still works really well. Especially with the post-credits mini-scene.
The action was terrif...terriff...teriff....fantastic, (apparently I can't spell tonight) and I really liked the continuous interweaving of treachery upon treachery upon betrayal.
Particular notes:
-The beginning was very powerful; an excellent demonstration of just how vile the EIC is.
-The way they got the Black Pearl out of the land of the dead and back to normal reality was, I thought, very clever--flipping the ship to the other side of the mirror, in a way.
-It was good to see the two inept British crewmembers back and still arguing so much that they forgot their charge.
-Throughout the movie the humor was much better done than in Dead Man's Chest--not over the top, not invisible, but just at the right times.
-And the final battle scene--a more awesome sea battle I have never seen. Cannons, broadsides, boarding, a shipboard wedding...what's not to like?

Yarrrrrrrrr!

Geilan
2007-05-25, 01:22 AM
"Barbossa, marry us now!"
"I'm a little busy!"

"How's mum"
*holds up shrunken head*
"........

She looks great!"

Abardam
2007-05-25, 03:57 AM
The part with the pistols was pure awesome.

Lianae
2007-05-25, 07:34 AM
Aaah! Just got back from it, and holy moo cow it was awesome! So much better than DMC, and I must admit I cried a bit (a lot really) at the end!
They didn't leave it open for a fourth movie or anything did they? :smallbiggrin:

The J Pizzel
2007-05-25, 08:22 AM
And here we go:

First off - I love movies that give supporting actors the same equal air time in all episodes. Examples being the two goofy pirates and the two British officers. They were once again minor "goofy" characters in this film and they bring a lot to it.

Next - the action was 10x better than DMC. There was actually decent amounts of sword fighting in this one. Not just one over exagerated scene on a damn wheel. The ending fight scene in the maelstorm was, imo, just plain beautiful. I just can't say enough about how much better the action was.

Next - the comdey was downright awesome. It wasn't forced upon you like in DMC. "why is the rum gone" wasn't used 10 friggin times. The humor was downright awesome and was just slid in the happenings of the movie, it was nicely done.

Next - the plot. This is where I think they made the greatest improvement. I was real nervous about how they intended to explain how Barbosa was back. When you find out who did it, you think to yourself "damn, she's that powerful". Then you find out what "she" is and your like "ooohhhhh, now I get it." Like the above poster said, the idea with them coming back from DJ's locker was awfully nice as well.

The crazy Jack's were all pretty neat too. I thought it was getting a little over done, but that's just me. Everyone I went with loved them. So, more power to 'em.

The marriage scene was quite cool as well. My favorite part in that sequence was right when Barbosa agrees, the camera does a quick zoom in on him standing on the rail with his sword in one hand, his pistol in the other and baddies all around him and this eerie music kicks in and you here "dearly beloved", it was just all kinds of cool in there. My favorite character in this one is hands down Barbosa.

And now, the Ending - the ending is.......well.....it's kinda......ah, screw it. You're like, "WTF is going on, you're kidding me right. Tell me he's comeing back or something". Well, he doesn't. And I sooned realized how much I love the ending. It was NOT a 'happily ever after' ending. It was more of a "well, thats how it all ends....cool". It did have a real gutsy ending though. I applaud the writers for having the galls to do that.

Yes, Keith Richards does make a few cameos and there awesome. Just a few scenes and lines. I like it cause they didn't try anything major, he's just there.

The constant treachory and backstabbing WILL GET ANNOYING. Just hang in there, it goes away about 3/4 of the way through. And from that point on, it's all action anyway.

All in all,
I give it a strong 9 out of 10. I'd happily go see it again.

jp

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-25, 08:49 AM
Hahaha, yeah, the politics were like Dune on the high seas.

Anyways, that thing was like the most epic movie I've ever watched. In that aspect it felt even bigger than Lord of the Rings. And the thing was like several movies rolled into one, going from plot to plot to plot. So much so that I think I'm going to have to watch it again to really make a decent review as I can't recall all the sheer ammount of stuff that happened.

However, I will say this, I am SO statting those rock-crabs...
Edit: And done! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2645505#post2645505)

Yo ho, all together, Hoist the Colours high... Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die...

WampaX
2007-05-25, 09:08 AM
I bring a dissenting opinion.

Perhaps it was because I was slightly sleepy when I saw it last night.
Perhaps I set my sights too high.
Whatever the reasons I felt that the movie did not deliver my admission ticket price.

Aside from the Maelstrom fight and the Escape from the Bathhouse, the movie was more or less bereft of Piratical action but instead filled to the gills with plot point delivery systems that varied (sometimes vastly) in degrees of attempting to put me into a fitful sleep. We skipped merrily form plot point to plot point with nary a pause or bit of rousing action between for what seemed like an eternity.

The fact that they boiled the entire promise of the 8 pirate lords fleet vs EICo into one ship to ship combat was just . . . so frustrating. The Maelstrom fight was a frenetic piece of crazy go nuts action and worked out as an almost decent capstone . . . but one broadsides later and the fight is done. The EICo turns away and the pirate fleet goes on its merry way without any of them firing a single shot.

I can't believe I'm saying this about a movie with pirates in it, but, not enough action, too much plot. I do recommend seeing it on a big screen as the action that is there is worthy of it, but make sure you only pay a matinée price for it.

hanzo66
2007-05-25, 09:13 AM
I loved the whole Wedding scene. Barbossa sure has a knack for multitasking in that one.

Bookman
2007-05-25, 01:35 PM
I over all liked it ALOT :biggrin:

There were odd thigns I thought funny/slightly annoying. Like the fact the other 7 pirate lords did NOTHING except look funny and cheer after they destroyed a flag ship and the ENTIRE FLEET turned away. That was odd.

Also how did that Parlay with them where they traded Jack for Will get agreed upon?

I did LOVE the concept of going upside down to get out of the locker. The way I see it the Locker is supposed to be like underwater after you die and therefor the underwater THERE is the HERE if that makes sense........anyways it was cool :tongue:

Is it wrong I was for one NOT suprised about the ending of Will becoming the new captain on the Dutchman? I saw it when Calypso mentioned the touch of destiny to him when they were talking about the heart. I honestly was hoping it woulda been Jack or a random character like Barbosa, Norrington or Bootstrap to make it a suprise rather then the expected (in my opinion......maybe I'm just psychic or something)

And Barbosa is pretty damn awesome for a) driving into a maelstrom and giggling and b) doing a wedding while killing things :biggrin:

And the most IMPORTANT question of course is.......

IS the Monkey still undead?

Imrahil
2007-05-25, 02:08 PM
And the most IMPORTANT question of course is.......

IS the Monkey still undead?

Just got back from seeing it again this morning (yes, I liked it that much, and Fridays are my day off), and I could still go again.

But to answer your question, given that he gets shot out of a cannon (in flames, mind you), I believe the answer is: Yes, Jack can still be used for moving target practice or to take one's rage out on.

Bookman
2007-05-25, 02:20 PM
Just got back from seeing it again this morning (yes, I liked it that much, and Fridays are my day off), and I could still go again.

But to answer your question, given that he gets shot out of a cannon (in flames, mind you), I believe the answer is: Yes, Jack can still be used for moving target practice or to take one's rage out on.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but inthe entire movie you never see the undead version EVEN in the Singapore night scene.

But I do agree that confirms he is......others were arguing it. It is an interesting question.

And how come Elizabeth hadn't aged 10 years in the scene after the credits?

Imrahil
2007-05-25, 02:24 PM
I also base my guess on the fact that they mentioned in DMC that the Isla de Muerta sank, IIRC. Thus, there would be no way for Jack to reach the chest and undo his curse.

As to why Elizabeth has suddenly become 'timeless', well I have no idea for that one.

Bookman
2007-05-25, 02:26 PM
I also base my guess on the fact that they mentioned in DMC that the Isla de Muerta sank, IIRC. Thus, there would be no way for Jack to reach the chest and undo his curse.

As to why Elizabeth has suddenly become 'timeless', well I have no idea for that one.

They did? o.O I forget that scene..........HMmmmmmmmm

Call_me_Fate
2007-05-25, 03:31 PM
OK, so I saw it today too, and I would say go watch it. I was not so surprised as I see some people are about Will, but that might just be the DM in me...

What I would like to know if, what was the scene after the credits? I knew there would be one. There always is. But at the place I went, everyone else cleared out, so the theatre stoped the movie before the credits finished. I guess they figured I was the only one in there... or they didn't see me. Pissed me right off, and the manager said I could watch it again if I wanted to catch it! Yeah, well that isn't going to happen. So... what did I miss?

Imrahil
2007-05-25, 03:42 PM
It's a cut to 10 years later, where we see a young boy walking to the edge of a cliff, and Elizabeth coming up behind them. As they stare out into the sunset, you see the green flash in the reflection of their eyes. Cut to Will on the mast of the Dutchman, and a wide shot of the cove with the ship waiting to come in for him to see his wife and son (also named William in the credits).

That's the best description I can give you, given that I can't remember it frame for frame.

Kandarin
2007-05-25, 03:58 PM
Is it just me, or is Will Jr. played by the same actor who did the boy who dies in the opening scene?

I loved this movie. They managed to fit every crazy, lovable campy-movie scene into it. Bizarro wedding? Check. Cultists summoning an ancient evil god? Check. Hero-villain fight on a precipice? Check. Dramatic curse-breaking? Check. I could go on. I loved this movie like I loved Snakes on a Plane: It doesn't really make a lot of sense, but many cool and shiny things keep happening to distract me from remembering that fact and to keep the cynic in me down.

"Wait a minute, what's the East India Company doing in the West- Ooh! a city made out of SHIPWRECKS!"

"What's with the mass executions? That seems a bit too grim for- Yay! Lots and lots of rock crabs!"

You get the idea.

Oh, and Elizabeth's far-Eastern dark-pirate-knight armor was beyond awesome.

Glaivemaster
2007-05-25, 04:55 PM
Saw this movie tonight and have to agree that it's much better than 2. The beginning was maybe a little too forced, but it's all okay in the end I suppose.

I can't be the only person who knew who Callipso was as soon as Barbarossa mentioned her though, can I? That just seemed a little too obvious to me

Toastkart
2007-05-25, 08:21 PM
I definitely enjoyed it. I'm just glad the ending didn't turn out to be attack of the 50ft. woman after they released Calypso.

Call_me_Fate
2007-05-25, 08:47 PM
That kinda upset me a little, that Jack was such a bad bluffer about where his mark of eight was. The whole time I kept saying to myself "it has to be something else. He can't be that bad, or stupid." I was a little upset that the spell didn't fail, but in the end everything worked out OK, and the fight would have been less climactic if there wasn't the storm to go with it.

SMEE
2007-05-25, 08:56 PM
I just saw it, and I loved every little tiny bit of it.
That was the best weeding scene I've ever seen in a movie!

Nevrmore
2007-05-25, 11:15 PM
Just saw this movie, though I definitely wasn't able to gauge it to its full potential given drama with friends and crap going on at the same time. From what I did garner though, it was indeed good, thought Calypso being who she is was, for me, beyond obvious. As in, right when Calypso was first mentioned

Bookman
2007-05-26, 08:14 AM
Just saw this movie, though I definitely wasn't able to gauge it to its full potential given drama with friends and crap going on at the same time. From what I did garner though, it was indeed good, thought Calypso being who she is was, for me, beyond obvious. As in, right when Calypso was first mentioned

Agreed.....any ideas why Chow Yun thought Elizabeth was Calypso? I totally didn't get that..........

Abardam
2007-05-26, 08:28 AM
Because Barbosa told him she was Calypso.

Imrahil
2007-05-26, 09:34 AM
I can think of a few reasons to add to that myself. First, Sao Feng hadn't seen Tia, since she was 'absent' during the fight in Singapore, and he didn't witness any of her powers manifest themselves (such as in The Locker) because he stayed behind to organize the deal with the Company. Thus, when she's on the ship, he probably thought she was just another member of the crew. Being already familiar with Elizabeth, he would have naturally been drawn to her as the only female of the crew that he had met before.

IIRC, Barbossa never directly came out and told Sao Feng that Elizabeth was Calypso, rather he encouraged his belief after noticing his reaction when he merely mentioned the goddess's name.

Penguinizer
2007-05-26, 09:45 AM
Woot. I'm going to go see it exactly exactly 68 minutes from now :smallbiggrin:

So I will come back later and tell what I thought of it.

Last_resort_33
2007-05-26, 11:13 AM
Fantasically Brilliantly Excellently Amazingly Great!

Loved every second of it. Maybe becasue I was expecting to be dissapointed, I don't know.

"Pirates don't 'ave much of an imagination when it comes to naming things"
"Aye"
"I once had a crew who lost both arms and 'alf an eye"
"Aye, and what did ye call 'im"
"Larry"

The plot sort was sort of convoluted, it went here there and everywhere, people making stupid mistakes, getting cocky, going to one side of the world, back again. It was like the plot of a role playing game... Seriously it was.

I went wearing A pirate shirt and I tri-corn hat. < is very sad.

" 'Down is up' well that's not very bloody helpful is it!"

zeratul
2007-05-26, 11:43 AM
I liked it, not as good as the first one, but still verry good. I was a little weirded out though that the kid from the beggining was the kid shown at the end of the movie

My brother thought it might have had something to do with Jack searching for the fountain of youth.

WingedCheetah
2007-05-26, 03:44 PM
I saw it last night with my gaming group (we dressed up as pirates. Any chance I get to wear my leather bodice is a good day!)

I am absolutely in love with the entire movie. I was surprised by the ending, and happy that they didn't go with a more generic everyone's-happy-lets-go-eat-pie ending. And though surprised, I can't see it any other way now. :-) I also thought there was some irony to the fact that Will was killed by the very sword he had forged in the beginning of the first POTC. Very Ironic and Macabre.

I'm going to marry Jack Davenport (Norrington), just so everyone knows. Well, he doesn't know. Yet. :smallamused:

I'm trying to get a hold of my brother, since he has some fantastic theories about the story being more Mythological Storytelling rather than Narrative (I'm trying to find his post about POTC2, because that's where the whole hypothesis got started).

Here it is: I couldn't find it on his actual Blog, but he did post this handy Review :-) I'm immensely curious about what he has to say about the newest one and how it validates his theory.

http://www1.epinions.com/content_242914987652

And before anyone asks, yes; he is a writer. :-)

Nevrmore
2007-05-26, 03:59 PM
I am absolutely in love with the entire movie. I was surprised by the ending, and happy that they didn't go with a more generic everyone's-happy-lets-go-eat-pie ending. And though surprised, I can't see it any other way now. :-) I also thought there was some irony to the fact that Will was killed by the very sword he had forged in the beginning of the first POTC. Very Ironic and Macabre.
Speaking of macabre, I got several strange stares from people around me when Pintel mentioned that something (I forget what) was very "macabre" but pronounced it "Muh-cob-ree" and I started laughing. No one else got the joke :(

Imrahil
2007-05-26, 04:27 PM
I believe he mentions that when he and Ragetti are staring at the floating corpses in The Locker, just before they get the 'cannonball' idea.

Kraggi
2007-05-26, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I laughed a lot there, and the rest of the theatre was silent.... That's what I get for watching it while visiting relatives in Wyoming. Bloody wyomites...

theKOT
2007-05-26, 07:12 PM
I just got back from the movie
It was.... teriffic. I know some people won't like it, some fans will be dissapointed, and some will be downright devastated... But I couldn't be happier. It was everything I could have hoped for and more. The ending was a million times better than I could have predicted, the plot managed to handle a thousand moving parts without losing too much in the shuffle, and the humor was well spaced and executed. The twists suprised me and every revelation felt natural, and not just like dry exposition.

Bottom line: 10/10, and I will certainly watch it in theaters at least once more and purchase the DVD.

WingedCheetah
2007-05-26, 07:24 PM
Speaking of macabre, I got several strange stares from people around me when Pintel mentioned that something (I forget what) was very "macabre" but pronounced it "Muh-cob-ree" and I started laughing. No one else got the joke :(

There were a few in my theatre that laughed, including all of my group, I think. We roared with the cannonball thing! :-)

Now, who wants to volunteer to take me to see it again? :-D

bosssmiley
2007-05-27, 08:23 AM
As with the Matrix films the PotC series has got weaker as it went along. World's End was quite simply the weakest, slowest-moving film of the three.

Cons:
"Potc:WE" introduced nothing new, held scenes for far too long (how long does it take to fall into a maelstrom btw? :smallwink: ), didn't follow up on plot points sufficiently (I'm thinking the "Monkey Island" Voodoo Lady-Davey Jones connection in particular), and was so in love with CG/modelwork spectacle that the characters were entirely dwarfed by the visual shineys.

Also: Chow Yun-Fat was wasted as 'generic oriental villain #1', Orlando Bloom was dull, Kira Knightly ('pirate king' my beshelled eggy @rse!) has as much on-screen charisma as a wet dish cloth, and the finale was typically Hollywood ("We win by blowing the eeeeeevil corporation up, not by offering any coherent alternative...").

Pros:
Johnny Depp was the usual inspired bonkers, Geoffrey Rush seemed to have great fun chewing on his lines, and the ship-stealing rock crabs ("We's in yer purgatorial desert of the soul, jacking yer ship") needed more screen time. :smallbiggrin:

I'd recommend this film to a friend who was a fan of the first two, but with substantial reservations. Would I buy it on DVD? No chance!

Jibar
2007-05-27, 01:28 PM
Personally I loved every second of it.

My only complaints are with the far too prominent Whelp and Ms Knightley, and the lack of screen time for Mr Yun Fat and Geoffrey Rush.
Oh, and the death of the Kraken. That seemed like a cheap way to make a final battle easier.

That said, my greatest praise goes towards the story, because nobody was a good guy. They all had their own agendas and everybody was out to kill each other. Children would look and see that Will, Jack and Ms Swan are the goodies, but no, no those three screwed over the most people.
Barbossa once again shined as my favorite character, aqnd watching a monkey point a gun at a parrot was sheer genius.
Oh, and Best. Wedding. Ever.

Jack Squat
2007-05-27, 04:55 PM
Oh, and the death of the Kraken. That seemed like a cheap way to make a final battle easier.

It may have been, but it was also a good move by the East India Trading Company, so Davy Jones wouldn't try and recover his heart.

Kraggi
2007-05-27, 05:03 PM
Man, if only the real east india company had fish people and sea monsters... I totally would be a history major.

Dark Knight Renee
2007-05-27, 05:17 PM
I loved the first two (in that, I seem to be among the minority, because DMC gets slammed a lot). The third one? Not so much, though besides one thing I can't pin down exactly why.

Unlike some, I feel I managed to follow the plot fairly well. There were a few points where I briefly forgot where everyone was, particularly Elizabeth, and I'm still unsure of the technicalities of the Nine Pieces of Eight, but those are little things. I'm also trying to figure out which bits of trechery were faked, if any, and quite a few lines of dialogue were not clear. But that's what the DVD is for.

I completely expected Will to end up captain of the Flying Dutchmen going into the movie, as a result of accidentally reading a far too acurate bit of speculation based on the trailer. Thus, I spent the entire movie hoping that that particular bit of speculation would be wrong. And while it didn't happen like I expected, it still happened. Worse yet, it happened AFTER the plot finally led me to believe otherwise. I imagine I'd have enjoyed the entire movie more if I had managed to avoid that spoiler rather than dwelling on it.

Whether that was my sole complaint or not, I didn't really enjoy the entire movie as much as I expected too. However, without a doubt I'll be getting it on DVD as soon as possible, and I hope to see it again in theatres again. Maybe it'll grow on me. I sure hope so.

My brother thought it might have had something to do with Jack searching for the fountain of youth.

Ah, good one. I figured it was just a small inconsistancy to be ignored... but so long as I have no official answers, I think I'll just choose to believe that one. Makes the ending seem happier.

hanzo66
2007-05-27, 11:25 PM
I liked the movie. The humorous parts were rather well done and Barbossa was actually rather awesome. He has a great evil laughter while commanding the ship and the whole Wedding was just awesome. His ending is fitting for him though, in that he ditches Jack once again but gets screwed over with a :annoyed: expression when he realizes that he's got no map.

Scorpio
2007-05-28, 01:35 AM
I have a strong suspision that Elizabeth has some Spartan ancestry.

Liz: "Pirates! Tonight, we dine in HELL!!!"

Gavin Sage
2007-05-28, 01:43 AM
All well and good for a movie, but I found the ending unsatisfying. I've seen the "I'll love you forever but we can never be together" line or similar tragic love twists to find them almost cliche and wax romantic over the happily ever after line.

Plus given what Jack's plan was it makes little sense that he hesistated for five second.

Justin_Bacon
2007-05-28, 02:54 AM
My thoughts:

Not as good as the first two, but still a wonderful film.

My biggest problem was the ending: It just doesn't hold together.

First, they assemble a pirate fleet... which then does nothing. Literally nothing. Basically they spend the entire film building up to a massive battle. But, when the time comes, they don't actually follow through: You've got All the English Ships in the World on one side and All the Pirate Ships in the World on the other, and instead of actually getting a sea battle we get the nautical equivalent of a boss fight.

And it's not even a good boss fight because Cutler Beckett -- who's never had a problem thinking fast on his feet before -- suddenly breaks character and becomes incapable of stuttering the word "fire" while his second-in-command, instead of saying the word "fire", instead cries "abandon ship".

It was ridiculous.

(Not to mention that Cutler Beckett sailing his sole ship out to attack the Black Pearl made no sense all by itself.)

Although, in many ways, it was just another reminder that this entire trilogy -- marvelous as it has been -- has never actually featured an actual battle between two ships on the high seas. Oh, there have been several swordfights set in a backdrop which featured ships exploding as the result of cannonfire and another sequence in which a couple of cannons were fired while one ship magically outran another magical ship, but that's not actually the same thing as a battle between two ships on the high seas.

Fortunately, there was more to this movie than just the anti-climatic Big Battle. And that all held together.

One exception: The entire Calypso plot was left unresolved. You free a sea goddess who has sworn to drive mankind from the ocean... and all she does is cause a measly storm which doesn't even sink a single ship? Hmm... (I've decided to paper over this in my own mind by deciding that Calypso could only focus on a single act of vengeance, and Will Turner successfully turned that focus to Davy Jones at the last possible moment.)

But these are, thankfully, not enough to completely mar the film. In this, it is similar to the lack-luster finale of Spider-Man 3. The movie also gets away with it because the whole battle between the Pearl and the Flying Dutchman was marvelous.

I think it's telling that the biggest complaint of the reviewers appears to be "I was too stupid to follow the plot". This is a commentary on the stupidity of the reviewers, and is -- in fact -- a compliment to the film.

All in all, a very entertaining 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Justin_Bacon
2007-05-28, 02:58 AM
I loved the first two (in that, I seem to be among the minority, because DMC gets slammed a lot). The third one? Not so much, though besides one thing I can't pin down exactly why.

If it makes you feel better, I adore DMC. I found it to be equal to or superior to the original film in every way. And, like you, I enjoyed AWE but didn't find it to be quite as good as the previous two.

Justin_Bacon
2007-05-28, 03:02 AM
Next - the comdey was downright awesome. It wasn't forced upon you like in DMC. "why is the rum gone" wasn't used 10 friggin times.

I could quibble with a lot of what you say, but this pretty much sums up what I think of it: That line was actually used more times in AWE than DMC.

The constant treachory and backstabbing WILL GET ANNOYING.

Unless, of course, you actually watched the first two films. In which case you'll know is par for the course and part of the fun.

Attilargh
2007-05-28, 03:46 AM
I have a strong suspision that Elizabeth has some Spartan ancestry.

Liz: "Pirates! Tonight, we dine in HELL!!!"
After I heard her exclaim "This is madness!", I was so very tempted to yell "This is SPARTA!".

Eerie
2007-05-28, 07:29 AM
Anyone else think that Jack Sparrow as a captain of the "Flying Dutchman" would be much better ending?

And whats the POINT of Calypso??? She did absolutely nothing.

Dark Knight Renee
2007-05-28, 07:39 AM
I like to think it would make some sense if I actually had a clue what she said in that big booming voice after going all goddess. Then again, maybe not. It did seem fairly obvious that, although that particular plot didn't do what the characters wanted, she did cause the whirlpool which seemingly evened the field. Exactly why I'm unsure.

Jibar
2007-05-28, 07:43 AM
Look at her options:
1. Work against Barbossa. Work against the descendants of those who trapped, and ultimately those who freed you from your human shell.
2. Work against Davy Jones. The one man you love, yet the same man who betrayed you.
Both sides have got happy points and angry points with her, so what does she do? Stay neutral. Make a big old whirlpool to even things out, and then when her revenge on Jones was over and the Dutchman's purpose was renewed, she left.

Talya
2007-05-28, 07:52 AM
Anyone else think that Jack Sparrow as a captain of the "Flying Dutchman" would be much better ending?

Captain Jack could not have been the captain of the dutchman, he'd have ended up just like Davey Jones. He has no sense of duty or honor, he would have become a barnacled sea monster from failing to do what the deal demands.

Personally, I think Elizabeth should have stabbed the heart, then offered the dying Wil a chance to join her crew. "Do you fear death? I fear your death...join me."

Eerie
2007-05-28, 10:44 AM
Captain Jack could not have been the captain of the dutchman, he'd have ended up just like Davey Jones. He has no sense of duty or honor, he would have become a barnacled sea monster from failing to do what the deal demands.

I think better of him.

Personally, I think Elizabeth should have stabbed the heart, then offered the dying Wil a chance to join her crew. "Do you fear death? I fear your death...join me."

BTW. Why the hell can`t Elizabeth join Wil crew?

Jerthanis
2007-05-28, 11:49 AM
BTW. Why the hell can`t Elizabeth join Wil crew?

I was thinking this, and the only idea I had was that maybe you can only serve on the crew if you're more than half dead, serving a penance or whatever and where you learn not to fear death. Anyway, unless there's something like how Bootstrap became part of the ship and forgot who he was, if that still happens to people who serve there too long (that is, if that condition wasn't just brought about by Davey Jones' being a jerk) I don't see why she wouldn't just go with him. Of course, maybe she's planning on living a full and natural life, bearing him sons and so forth and continuing the line, and then going out to a death at sea to join him when she got older.

Eerie
2007-05-28, 11:58 AM
I was thinking this, and the only idea I had was that maybe you can only serve on the crew if you're more than half dead, serving a penance or whatever and where you learn not to fear death. Anyway, unless there's something like how Bootstrap became part of the ship and forgot who he was, if that still happens to people who serve there too long (that is, if that condition wasn't just brought about by Davey Jones' being a jerk) I don't see why she wouldn't just go with him. Of course, maybe she's planning on living a full and natural life, bearing him sons and so forth and continuing the line, and then going out to a death at sea to join him when she got older.

In this pace, if Jack and the rest will find the Fountain of Youth, they may as well make the fifth sequel in the 20 century. I mean, why not, if all the heroes are now immortal?

And later they will become IMMORTAL SPACE PIRATES.

Korias
2007-05-28, 12:24 PM
In this pace, if Jack and the rest will find the Fountain of Youth, they may as well make the fifth sequel in the 20 century. I mean, why not, if all the heroes are now immortal?

And later they will become IMMORTAL SPACE PIRATES.

Just because its a fountain of youth does not mean it extends your natural life time. It just makes you look younger.

Eerie
2007-05-28, 12:31 PM
Just because its a fountain of youth does not mean it extends your natural life time. It just makes you look younger.

Nay. Then it would be "Fountain of Looking Younger".

Nightmarenny
2007-05-28, 01:22 PM

What? She set up the whole battle. Instead of the help either side she creates a malstrum and puts the wind to the backs of both armies causing the two fastest ships to be pulled in first and right into the malstum. Thats why they fight each other alone the other ships wern't fast enough to join the fight intile they lost the Dutchmen and then it didn't seem like a good idea.

Acording to the creators, a deleted scene would have explained that when the Dutchmen returns after ten years if his love is there to meet him the curse is lifted. If she had gone with Will he'd be stuck Captain.

The Corinthian
2007-05-28, 01:49 PM
As well that that scene was deleted, then, because that would have been utterly ridiculous, the point to the curse would be gone.

Liked the film very well, although I agree that bringing together the incredible cornyness of the "Nine Pirate Lords" for the sake of a single one-liner ("when the first Court of Pirate Lords convened, they were all flat broke" :smallbiggrin: ) was dumb.

Also, putting the whole British Armada and Collective Pirate Fleets there only to have a a stand-off and sail away was dumb. They could have cut those, introduced and handled the Calypso thing in a far more elegant way and given Chow-Yun Fat more screen time in one stroke to vastly improve the film.

Alternately, they could have cut some slapstick (the "spyglass" scenes, the "yes you are -no I'm not" scenes,(Why there were TWO is beyond me) and the "are fish people undiciplined"-scene) and added a huge fleet fight at the end. Also, Jack's father was totally unnecessary. (although the shrunken head was nice.)

The film as it stands is still great entertainment, though. 7/10.

Edit: One major beef: When did Elizabeth become the main protagonist? I'm all for strong female characters, but it makes no sense that everyone would accept her leadership.

Gavin Sage
2007-05-28, 02:21 PM

The Fountain of Youth is generally depicted as a rewind button. Thus if you have its location you can live forever by stocking up and taking doses to go from say 60 back to 20 over and over again.

Bucephalus
2007-05-28, 02:32 PM
the first movie was still the best, but this one was beter than the second.

drawingfreak
2007-05-28, 02:33 PM
Eh. It was a good movie. Nothing amazing or life changing but good. It finished plots, characters continued to develop, and the over all plot was well written.

Still, like the second it just felt like a very very very very very very very very very good fan fiction.

Nightmarenny
2007-05-28, 02:46 PM
As well that that scene was deleted, then, because that would have been utterly ridiculous, the point to the curse would be gone.

Liked the film very well, although I agree that bringing together the incredible cornyness of the "Nine Pirate Lords" for the sake of a single one-liner ("when the first Court of Pirate Lords convened, they were all flat broke" :smallbiggrin: ) was dumb.

Also, putting the whole British Armada and Collective Pirate Fleets there only to have a a stand-off and sail away was dumb. They could have cut those, introduced and handled the Calypso thing in a far more elegant way and given Chow-Yun Fat more screen time in one stroke to vastly improve the film.

Alternately, they could have cut some slapstick (the "spyglass" scenes, the "yes you are -no I'm not" scenes,(Why there were TWO is beyond me) and the "are fish people undiciplined"-scene) and added a huge fleet fight at the end. Also, Jack's father was totally unnecessary. (although the shrunken head was nice.)

The film as it stands is still great entertainment, though. 7/10.

Edit: One major beef: When did Elizabeth become the main protagonist? I'm all for strong female characters, but it makes no sense that everyone would accept her leadership.
How exactly would the curse lose its point?

Vaniel
2007-05-28, 03:50 PM
Wait, he was his father?

I though he was his brother or something...

Glaivemaster
2007-05-28, 03:57 PM

Because it was in the pirate code that the pirates had to listen to the pirate king. Elizabeth was voted pirate 'king'. Jack's father killed anyone who disobeyed the code, and everyone was terrified of him, to such a degree that they all listened to him

I did think it sucked that the EIC went off without a fight, despite vastly outnumbering the pirates. There could have at least been a decent reason for it other than 'oh, we don't have Davy Jones anymore'

Archonic Energy
2007-05-28, 05:16 PM
Yo, ho, haul together,
hoist the Colours high.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars,
never shall we die.

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-28, 05:52 PM
am I the on;y idot who didn't stay long enough in the credits to see Elizibithes babyes or what ever? could some one explane what it is?

Korias
2007-05-28, 05:58 PM
Nay. Then it would be "Fountain of Looking Younger".

Belay that, It would be the "Fountain of Immortality" or "Fountain of Eternity" If it was to make them live for ever.

As for the scene at the end of the movie: It cuts to 10 Years later, with Elizabeth and her child alking along a cliff face. Its sunset, and they look to the horizon. The kid sings the Pirate Song (Yo Ho Yo Ho A Pirates life for me...) and the green flash occurs. We then see Will coming back on the mast of the dutchman.

Scorpio
2007-05-28, 06:53 PM
Belay that, It would be the "Fountain of Immortality" or "Fountain of Eternity" If it was to make them live for ever.

Belay that belay that!

Come on, guys. It doesn't matter what the fountain of youth usually refers to, it matters what it refers in this case. And in this case, Barbosa says "There be more than one way to live forever. 'Gents, I present to you the fountain of youth!" Something tells me he's not talking about a fountain that will leave a good-looking corpse.

You guys put the "antics" in "pedantics".

Korias
2007-05-28, 07:20 PM
Aye, But seeing as how nobody ever found the fountain to begin with, how do we know that its the kind that makes ye live forever? What if it just be a Myth that it makes a scallywag live fer ever, and not just leave a pretty good lookin corpse?

fenir
2007-05-28, 07:31 PM
This is just my review of the movie, I'll keep it short

First off, the sword fighting was great in this movie, all the action was. The malestrom was jus flat out fantastic, probably the coolest thing I've seen in a movie to date, because what's cooler than pirates that are sword fighting, boarding, and shooting cannons in the middle of a malestrom? The ending with Will was totally unexpected, did not expect Davy to stab him at all. The only thing I didn't like, was when they pulled a couple out of place jokes, a la DMC. The main one that got me was with the Pirate Lord meeting, and they all agree to fight, and then the one guy in the ridiculously high voice says "we shall go to war." but besides that, the movie was great, and it was good to see the two british soldier guys, and the two goofy pirates again. And I forgot to mention, in the beginning when all the people started singing, that was awesome.

TheRabidWalnut
2007-05-28, 08:11 PM
When you get right down to it, the plots of all the pirates movies are just excuses to give Jack Sparrow (sorry, Cap'n Jack Sparrow) excellent entrances.

Of which, the first movie still holds the crown. Best. Entrance. Ever!
But sailing a galleon across a desert on a carpet of stone crabs? Even though that wasn't his entrance, thats still my favourite bit. Give Jack a ship, and he will sail! Regardless of the status of the ship, sea or sanity.

Rugueux DeVere
2007-05-28, 08:13 PM
After I heard her exclaim "This is madness!", I was so very tempted to yell "This is SPARTA!".

Hehe, me and my friend shout-whispered "This! Is! Booty bay!" 10'000 internets if you get the reference.:smallwink:

Scorpio
2007-05-28, 11:10 PM
Aye, But seeing as how nobody ever found the fountain to begin with, how do we know that its the kind that makes ye live forever? What if it just be a Myth that it makes a scallywag live fer ever, and not just leave a pretty good lookin corpse?

If there's a map to it, that usually means that someone has found it. And why just question one aspect of a myth? Why doubt the validity of the fountains effects, but not the fountain itself? You've gotta turn your logic on or off, mate; can't have it both ways.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-05-28, 11:13 PM
Okay, just lemme say that I saw the movie, and yes, it was awesome.

Also, I'm back. Yay!

Vaniel
2007-05-28, 11:19 PM
Hehe, me and my friend shout-whispered "This! Is! Booty bay!" 10'000 internets if you get the reference.:smallwink:

300 joke? "This! Is! SPARTA!"

Maybe not... :smallamused:

Eerie
2007-05-29, 12:18 AM

Me and my bro did the same. Ye, we are WoW junkies.

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-29, 08:29 AM

As for the scene at the end of the movie: It cuts to 10 Years later, with Elizabeth and her child alking along a cliff face. Its sunset, and they look to the horizon. The kid sings the Pirate Song (Yo Ho Yo Ho A Pirates life for me...) and the green flash occurs. We then see Will coming back on the mast of the dutchman.

Thank you.

drawingfreak
2007-05-29, 09:10 AM
What was the relevance to the song in the beginning? I know that it had something to do with the meeting of the Pirate Lords but I just didn't catch it.

ravenkith
2007-05-29, 09:41 AM
Hey, I can unashamedly say that I actually liked this movie.

There were some really great scenes, and the plot holes were only big enough to get a scooter through, as opposed to the mack-truck gateways that are the Matrix sequels.

Calypso:
Calypso is, by her own admittance, a flighty, uncertain creature, like the very sea that she is a goddess of. It is who she is that she is utterly unpredictable. However, she does not like to be in the debt of others, and always pays her debts (mostly so she can feel free to do what she wants).

Her hatred of mankind is a result of her being bound. Her being bound is a direct result of her lover's betrayal.

So her beef with DJ actually gets top billing by her account.

Her being freed is actually part of her bargain with Barbossa. The pair of them had some kind of deal, and that's why she brought him back from the dead in the first place: he kept his end of the bargain, so she had to follow through on hers...to grant a boon to Barbossa.

Barbossa requested that she (as I recall) basically spare him, his crew, and what was theirs from all vengeance she might take.

At the time he made this request, he was acting as the Captain of the Pearl, since Jackie boy was aboard the Dutchman.

Elizabeth Swan was serving on the Pearl. She was also the 'King of the Pirates', however spurious the title, and as such, all the pirates and ships in their fleet were 'hers'.

Hence no smashy pirate ships with storm.

But she still wanted her vengeance on ol' dj. She still wanted her revenge on the pirates. No way DJ was going to stick around if he was outnumbered and outgunned, without backup. Remember, he can go submersible, and ride out any storm conditions she can throw at him, or to get away from too many cannon shots.

So as described elsewhere, she made it possible for just the two ships to meet, stripping away dj's backup, in the form of the EIC, and Barbossa's in the form of the pirate fleet. Neither ship can simply overpower the other, and the conditions probably altered to prevent other vessels from closing once the two had engaged.

It was inevitable that it would come to a melee: she was forcing the two vessels together with the maelstrom, after all. Only in a boarding action could DJ truly be in danger: his heart being his only weak point.

She wasn't just going to kill DJ for the pirates: if they wanted a victory, they'd have to pay for it in blood.

The maelstrom was there to put and keep the two ships together-not- to destroy them.

Once DJ gets taken out, she simply goes elsewhere, assuming that the fleets will take care of each other without any interference on her part, which is great, from her point of view, because she hates the pirates, and wants them dead, but can't actively destroy them because of her deal with Barbossa, and his luckily-worded boon.

The EIC:
Lord fancypants has a mad on for Jack. This is the established reason why he couldn't use the compass to find the pirates, IIRC-his greatest desire is to see jack dead, and not in that 'from a distance' kind of way.

He wants to be the one to pull the trigger, so to speak.

So when he sees the black pearl, limping from her battle with the dutchman and the maelstrom, flagship of the pirate fleet, he simply cannot resist the chance to 'lord' it over the man who got away by closing to cannon range and blowing him, his beloved ship, and the legend that is the black pearl away.

His personal need to see jack dead, and his ego cause him to leave the rest of the fleet behind. He says it's 'just good business' to break his agreement with jack.

With the resurfacing of the dutchman, he thinks he's got the pearl surrounded, and he can use the dutchman as the anvil to his hammer...but then the dutchman changes course.

He realizes he's dead if they fire, so he holds his own fire, hoping they will keep to the agreement he himself was going to violate - remember, both the Captain of the Pearl, and the Captain of the Dutchman have had dealings with him, and are known to be men of honor.

He's also in shock that his plans have unraveled that quickly, and cannot accept the reality that he is about to die. His brain just shuts down - everythings hunky dory for Lord Fancypants as long as he's in a position of power, but now he's powerless, it's a pretty rude shock, and he never gets the time to get used to the feeling. <shrug>.

The rest of the EIC fleet fleeing is perfectly in character. After all, they've just seen the two lead ships (one of which used to be on their side, and is arguably, the scariest thing ever for these guys) sail through a maelstrom, fight each other bloody, one of them sinking in the process, and then combine forces to take out their flagship (the ship that sank having been made to look almost brand new in the process, mind you).

They're leaderless, baffled by the weather, terrified by the legendary vessels that oppose them (the black pearl having been crewed by unkillable undead not so long ago, I remind you), and facing an entire fleet of bloodthirsty pirates on top of all the rest of it.

If any of them had clean shorts at that point, I'd have called it a major victory, and run off home, too. ;)

FYI, the EIC was originally founded to explore trade routes around the southern tip of afria in order to reach the far flung lands of asia. They eventually became so powerful that they covered the entire atlantic, and most of the Indian ocean.

Imrahil
2007-05-29, 10:03 AM
The only thing I'd have to add to that is that Beckett still would think that Jones is the Captain of the Dutchman (having no way of knowing what happened during the melee, save from the clue of the restored ship), and only your use of the word honorable in Jones's case might be a bit too kind.

Jones is not what most would consider a man of honour, given his previous track record. He breaks his oath to ferry the souls after one misunderstanding, he kills and slaughters with reckless abandon (consider the ship that will snuck aboard on in DMC, where the crew was innocent in any perceived crime, but all of whom Jones killed), and who was willing on multiple occasions to betray the EIC if not for them thinking ahead and guarding the heart.

If anything, Beckett considers Jones a liability, but the potential boon of an indestructible ship with an immortal crew is just too much to pass up on.

Mind you, this is all my speculation, and I'm probably being a little too picky. The rest of your analysis is amazingly good, and if only those movie critics who were 'confused by the plot' had your knowledge...

ravenkith
2007-05-29, 10:59 AM
The only thing I'd have to add to that is that Beckett still would think that Jones is the Captain of the Dutchman (having no way of knowing what happened during the melee, save from the clue of the restored ship), and only your use of the word honorable in Jones's case might be a bit too kind.

I'm assuming that lord fancypants would figure out that will had supplanted Jones as the captain, after seeing him through a spyglass at the wheel...maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

Jones is not what most would consider a man of honour, given his previous track record. He breaks his oath to ferry the souls after one misunderstanding, he kills and slaughters with reckless abandon (consider the ship that will snuck aboard on in DMC, where the crew was innocent in any perceived crime, but all of whom Jones killed), and who was willing on multiple occasions to betray the EIC if not for them thinking ahead and guarding the heart.

Keeping the heart on board the dutchman was the dumbest idea ever. Beckett got a slightly closer control out of the deal, but it gave jones the impetus to & possibility of, staging a mutiny. He tried, what, twice?

That's the biggest plot hole in the movie, for me: a control freak like beckett, after being warned twice, not taking his control mechanism out of danger, and back within his own reach? <shrug>.

Would have been more interesting if instead, fancypants takes back the heart, which jack finds out after breaking free, but before the big fight, and then black pearl and dutman have to race to get to Beckett's ship, to see who can get to the heart first, and either protect it, or destroy it...meh, missed opportunity for threeway pirate/fish-men/british sailor fun, & beckett fighting, as opposed to being a lame duck.

If anything, Beckett considers Jones a liability, but the potential boon of an indestructible ship with an immortal crew is just too much to pass up on.

Never understood why Beckett didn't put a trusted subordinate in charge of the dutchman by having him stab the heart...and then having beckett hold on to it, in order to keep him loyal.

Immortality, riches, a hundred lifetimes of pillaging and adventure? I'm sure it would get boring eventually.

Mind you, this is all my speculation, and I'm probably being a little too picky. The rest of your analysis is amazingly good, and if only those movie critics who were 'confused by the plot' had your knowledge...

Thank you. All it took was a general understanding of history, and actually watching all three films.

Paid critics usually just slap something on a page to meet a deadline. They also generally just crib from each other.

So the first idiot puts up 'I didn't get it' or 'why is all the plot gone!?' and the rest of them pick up on it, rather than take a risk on adopting a different stance.

But matrix 2 and 3 were pretty crappy despite being an obvious christ parable. Even a broken clock (the critics) is right twice a day.

Imrahil
2007-05-29, 11:24 AM
I'm assuming that lord fancypants would figure out that will had supplanted Jones as the captain, after seeing him through a spyglass at the wheel...maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

Ever had one of those moments where you just wake up, read something, think of a great response to it, but in your half-asleep stupor forget something that you should have remembered...

Yeah, that was one of those moments. I'm not sure why, but I completely forgot about that, and that's after seeing the movie twice. {sigh} Now on my third trip I'll have to flog myself during that scene for my bad memory.

EvilElitest
2007-05-29, 11:31 AM
As with the Matrix films the PotC series has got weaker as it went along. World's End was quite simply the weakest, slowest-moving film of the three.

Cons:
"Potc:WE" introduced nothing new, held scenes for far too long (how long does it take to fall into a maelstrom btw? :smallwink: ), didn't follow up on plot points sufficiently (I'm thinking the "Monkey Island" Voodoo Lady-Davey Jones connection in particular), and was so in love with CG/modelwork spectacle that the characters were entirely dwarfed by the visual shineys.

Also: Chow Yun-Fat was wasted as 'generic oriental villain #1', Orlando Bloom was dull, Kira Knightly ('pirate king' my beshelled eggy @rse!) has as much on-screen charisma as a wet dish cloth, and the finale was typically Hollywood ("We win by blowing the eeeeeevil corporation up, not by offering any coherent alternative...").

Pros:
Johnny Depp was the usual inspired bonkers, Geoffrey Rush seemed to have great fun chewing on his lines, and the ship-stealing rock crabs ("We's in yer purgatorial desert of the soul, jacking yer ship") needed more screen time. :smallbiggrin:

I'd recommend this film to a friend who was a fan of the first two, but with substantial reservations. Would I buy it on DVD? No chance!
Oh thing to add, well two

1. Has anybody watched the movie and was thinking about it? i was able to see whole flying dutchmen heart deal from the beginning, the moment Calspso got more screen time i knew she was going to be hooked up with the mind flayer dude (though nice reference when he killed the guy by eating his brain)
And i knew the whole summoning deal early
2. What were the morals of this story? Why does my favorative character, the British Admirial, feel like he is the evil guy. Bear in mind, dispite what Elizibeth is saying, the Pirates are not the good guys, its the freaking British. I know they were awful, but better them than pirates. I'd be fine Pirates vs. British, but don't try to justify it

Oh and a third point
3. Why did all hte new characters get no screen time? I included Mr. Evil Asian and the evil Brit as prime examples
from,
EE

ravenkith
2007-05-29, 11:45 AM
Ever had one of those moments where you just wake up, read something, think of a great response to it, but in your half-asleep stupor forget something that you should have remembered...

Yeah, that was one of those moments. I'm not sure why, but I completely forgot about that, and that's after seeing the movie twice. {sigh} Now on my third trip I'll have to flog myself during that scene for my bad memory.

Note: the scene never shows this, IIRC....

it's just, y'know, the camera shows a close up of will at the wheel....

and I figure a fella could see that with a spyglass.

As to the new characters....

they were secondary. The story revolves around, Jack, Will, and Elizabeth. If the new characters aren't with on of the three, they aren't on screen, simple as that.

The admiral, he who loved Elizabeth was doomed. He was lucky he was in all three films, after losing out to will in the first one, but it was a loose end to tie up.

It's not British vs. Pirates, but rather Chaos vs. Order, Freedom vs. The Rule of Law, Big Corporations vs. Free Enterprise.

If you know history, you know that the EIC was a commercial venture, a private company sponsored by the crown.

That wasn't the British navy. That was wal-mart.

And the pirates? Independent operators, who banded together to postpone the inevitable.

All the more ironic, considering it's a disney film... one of the biggest corporations on the planet, that's responsible for creating the film, and that they just recently bought out (2006) Pixar, an independent who was threatening their domination of the animated film market.

There are some awfully funny parallels. <shrug>

Jibar
2007-05-29, 12:17 PM
I gotta agree with him on the Navy. This was still the time when we ruled the oceans. The Royal Navy was the single most powerful force out there, and dominated the waters. That was just the East India Trading Company. If they were fighting the Navy... heh, even with the Dutchman on their side they'd be screwed.

Oh thing to add, well two

1. Has anybody watched the movie and was thinking about it? i was able to see whole flying dutchmen heart deal from the beginning, the moment Calspso got more screen time i knew she was going to be hooked up with the mind flayer dude (though nice reference when he killed the guy by eating his brain)
And i knew the whole summoning deal early

He... wait. He didn't eat his brain, he choked him by blocking up his throat with tentacles. There was no mind flayer reference.
Also, you could pick up on Calypso and Tia Dalma if you paid just the right attention in the second film, the locket, and if you paid attention to the run up to the third, which was originally going to be "Calypso's Fury"
Those two bits of information with what you're presented with in Dead Man Chest gives you everything you need to predict it.

2. What were the morals of this story? Why does my favorative character, the British Admirial, feel like he is the evil guy. Bear in mind, dispite what Elizibeth is saying, the Pirates are not the good guys, its the freaking British. I know they were awful, but better them than pirates. I'd be fine Pirates vs. British, but don't try to justify it

Okay, trying desperately to ignore the dissing... it's not working.
But to examine the Admiral, because Norringtan is an arse?
Black Pearl: He's strictly antagonist here. Sure, he's a good guy, but he works against the protagonists.
Dead Man's Chest: Antagonist again. Despite being ruggedly handsome... ahem, he still is out to serve himself, attempting to kill both Jack and Will many times, and eventually signing himself up with Beckett.
World's End: He gets his minor redemption saving Elizabeth, but there is no sign whatsoever that he holds any remorse for all the other work he has done with Jones and Beckett.

Oh and a third point
3. Why did all the new characters get no screen time? I included Mr. Evil Asian and the evil Brit as prime examples
from,
EE

Sao Feng's death was necessary to make sure Ms Swan stayed centre stage, and Beckett is not exactly new, and got all the screen time he needed to establish himself as the primary antagonist. Sure, Jones was the baddy monster they fought with, but it was Beckett pulling the strings the whole time.

RationalGoblin
2007-05-29, 12:32 PM
That wasn't the British navy. That was wal-mart.

Hahaha, I'm going to put that in my sig.

Anyways, I liked the movie. Mostly because of the betrayals, as I love seeing you foolish humans betraying each other. :smallbiggrin:

Nevrmore
2007-05-29, 12:41 PM
What was the relevance to the song in the beginning? I know that it had something to do with the meeting of the Pirate Lords but I just didn't catch it.
The kid had a coin in his hand that he felt vibrate, which was the signal that the Pirate Council was going to convene and probably put an end to all the executions. He started singing "Hoist the Colors" to let all the other people in the area know.

drawingfreak
2007-05-29, 09:08 PM
The kid had a coin in his hand that he felt vibrate, which was the signal that the Pirate Council was going to convene and probably put an end to all the executions. He started singing "Hoist the Colors" to let all the other people in the area know.
I do not recall it vibrating, but from other clues it seemed as if the song was the catalyst.

Hephaestus
2007-05-29, 09:40 PM
I noticed a lot of people saying the end fate of Will was unexpected. I'd just like to point out it was foreshadowed. Davy Jones said he was betrayed by Calypso and thus betrayed her in return, Eventually he became the captain of the Flying Dutchman. Elizabeth betrayed Will at the end of the second movie and then Will sorta betrays her by having a plan to use Jack to free his father behind her back. He ends up with the same fate as Davy Jones.

Vonriel
2007-05-29, 10:26 PM
I do not recall it vibrating, but from other clues it seemed as if the song was the catalyst.

The kid and all the pirates about to be executed started to sing the song "Hoist the Colors" and then it cuts to.. gah, I forget who mentions it! Curse my memory! Anyway, he blows/flicks the coin or something, and tosses it to the other pirate captain and says "The song has been sung." and the coin is kinda vibrating when he puts it to his ear.

Personally? I really, really like all the mythology inherent in the movies. It's what makes them so awesome.

WNxArrakis
2007-05-29, 11:50 PM
Everybody PLEASE recall the DMC line from Tia Dalma to WIll: You have a destiny about you.

sound familiar?

oh, and

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/hafaznmatt/barbossa.gif
"Look, Captain Barbossa found the script!"

great movie.

Scorpio
2007-05-30, 12:20 AM
Elizabeth vs. Leonidas: a comparative analysis

Elizabeth: The rest of the ships will all be looking to us, to the Black Pearl, to lead the charge. And what will they see? Frightend bildge rats? No, no they will see free men, and freedom! And our enemies will see the flash of our cannons, and the ring of our swords, and they will know what they face!

Leonidas: A new age has begun. An age of freedom, and all will know that three hundred Spartans gave their last breath to defend it!

Nightmarenny
2007-05-30, 12:36 AM
Elizabeth vs. Leonidas: a comparative analysis

Elizabeth: The rest of the ships will all be looking to us, to the Black Pearl, to lead the charge. And what will they see? Frightend bildge rats? No, no they will see free men, and freedom! And our enemies will see the flash of our cannons, and the ring of our swords, and they will know what they face!

Leonidas: A new age has begun. An age of freedom, and all will know that three hundred Spartans gave their last breath to defend it!
Insert generic statement about how the sitch. isn't uncommon

Legendary
2007-05-30, 01:06 AM
I noticed a lot of people saying the end fate of Will was unexpected. I'd just like to point out it was foreshadowed. Davy Jones said he was betrayed by Calypso and thus betrayed her in return, Eventually he became the captain of the Flying Dutchman. Elizabeth betrayed Will at the end of the second movie and then Will sorta betrays her by having a plan to use Jack to free his father behind her back. He ends up with the same fate as Davy Jones.

Actually, if you'd stayed to the end of the credits, you would have seen that his soul is freed (the green at sunrise) and that he gets to be with Elizabeth and the 9 year and 3 month old William Turner III.

theKOT
2007-05-30, 01:28 AM
Actually, if you'd stayed to the end of the credits, you would have seen that his soul is freed (the green at sunrise) and that he gets to be with Elizabeth and the 9 year and 3 month old William Turner III.

Is that what the deal was? As long as elizabeth is there the curse is lifted? Because I don't recall hearing that at anypoint during the movie, but everybody seems to think that.
I had thought he got to be with her one day every ten years, then it was back to his job.

Jibar
2007-05-30, 02:31 AM
I was under that impression as well.
One day out with the missus and then "Uh oh dear, gotta go, I'll be late for work! See you in another 10 years Junior!"

Eldred
2007-05-30, 03:50 AM
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Turner_III#William_Turner_III

The writers have confirmed that because Elizabeth remained faithful for ten years, the curse that Tia Dalma put on the captain of the Flying Dutchman, prohibiting him to set foot on land except for once every ten years, is broken. This allows Will to spend the rest of his life as he chooses, either at sea or with his wife and son.

I think I remember DJ and Tia in a scene talking about this in the film. Something about how DJ had come back from 10 years of service to find that Tia had not been faithful?

theKOT
2007-05-30, 08:07 AM
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Turner_III#William_Turner_III

I think I remember DJ and Tia in a scene talking about this in the film. Something about how DJ had come back from 10 years of service to find that Tia had not been faithful?
Yeah, but it wasn't really indicated that the curse would lift. "When we could finally be together, you weren't there." I took that to mean for one day and didn't see any evidence to the contrary. But I guess if the writer's said it...
*shrug*

Imrahil
2007-05-30, 08:57 AM
That's the problem with having a scene that would explain a large portion of the plot, then cutting it out of the theatrical release.

One Skunk Todd
2007-05-30, 11:34 AM
Was I the only one expecting Davey Jones to stab his own heart through the box when he and Jack were fighting in the rigging? It would have made for an interesting conundrum I thought.

Bookman
2007-05-30, 11:36 AM
Was I the only one expecting Davey Jones to stab his own heart through the box when he and Jack were fighting in the rigging? It would have made for an interesting conundrum I thought.

I think so..........

Eldred
2007-05-30, 12:13 PM

Maybe the highest ranking shipmate has his heart cut out?

Though I do have this image of a zombie-pirate rampage by the crew members, heading for the nearest living person, mumbling: "the Dutchman needs a captain... the Dutchman needs a captain..." :smallsmile:

ravenkith
2007-05-30, 12:18 PM
Wait.

The dutchman can sail underwater...

the cursed gold sank underwater....

dutchman can get cursed gold?

Black Pearl + Cursed gold + dutchman's immortal crew...?

=2 unstoppable juggernauts of piracy?

hrm....

purplearcanist
2007-05-30, 12:52 PM
I saw the movie, and it was great.
Better than the second, but not as good as the first.

I was confused about the whole Calypso plot, but all of you seemed to clarify it. Thanks!:smallsmile:

The only problems I had with the movie is that the ending seemed to drag on, and the whole Calypso thing was kind of uncertian to me.

However, I have an idea about these plotlines:

The series seemed to be about the pirates, especially Jack and Barbosa, trying to find ways to defy death and live forever. However, they have found that most of these come with a price:
Way #1 [Pirates of the Carribean 1]: Steal gold pieces from the treasure of Cortez. Price: Moonlight will reveal who you are, as a skeleton. Also, you cannot taste food, or feel things. You must lift the curse through a payment of blood. Who's done it: In the first movie Barbosa and his crew used this method. However, it was undone in the ending. However, Barbosa's money, Jack, stole a piece and is an "undead monkey".
Way #2 [Pirates of the Carribean 2]: Swear an oath to the Duchman and become part of the crew for an eternity. You can only do this when you are near death. Price: You can never leave the ship and you are bound to serve its captian, forever. Who's done it: Bootstrap Bill Turner, plus some other people (I don't know who they are.)
Way #3 [Pirates of the Carribean 3]: Stab the heart of the current captain of the Flying Duchman. Price: You can only be on land for one day every ten years. Also, you must deal with the souls of the departed. Who's done it: Will Turner, Davey Jones(?)
Way #4 [Pirates of the Carribean 4?]: Drink from the fountain of youth(?) Price: You must continually drink from it, or you'll age and die. Also, this doesn't prevent death.(?) Who's done it: ?

Draz74
2007-05-30, 01:06 PM
Personally I loved every second of it.

I wouldn't say every second. There were parts here and there that I didn't appreciate ... overly graphically violent, or the way the EICo just gave up and sailed away without firing a shot, whatever ... but still, I give it 8/10 or so. Not as good as the first movie, but a good completion of DMC (which was quite a challenge to face, since there were about a zillion loose plot threads to tie up).

That said, my greatest praise goes towards the story, because nobody was a good guy. They all had their own agendas and everybody was out to kill each other. Children would look and see that Will, Jack and Ms Swan are the goodies, but no, no those three screwed over the most people.

Aye, and while that's slightly disturbing in a way, I also thought it was very appropriate and fulfilling for a movie about ... pirates.

Barbossa once again shined as my favorite character, and watching a monkey point a gun at a parrot was sheer genius.

Finally, someone else who appreciated Barbossa as one of the best characters, before this movie! He was my 2nd-fave after Jack in the first movie, and I loved every moment of him in the 3rd movie. His laugh is the best!!! "He's like me, but without the merciful tendencies and sense of fair play." :smallbiggrin:

I also loved:
-"Larry"
-"Sea turtles, mate" (about the dog)
-"actually, it's a cythropod" [or something like that]
-"I vote for Elizabeth Swann" "WHAT?" "I know, hard to believe, isn't it?"
-Norrington's defiant look (and stab) of utter lack of fear when Jones asked him "Do you fear death?"
-The way Jack saw Will dying and Elizabeth crying, and sacrificed his own desire for immortality for Will's sake (I maintain that he did this mostly out of selfless friendship ... though I also admire the inherent ambiguity in his motivations)
-"Once [making out with Elizabeth] is more than enough."
-The way Jack seemed so shocked that Barbossa stole the Pearl again at the end ... and yet it turned out he anticipated it and stole the map :smallamused:

Oh, and Best. Wedding. Ever.

My thoughts exactly. :smallcool:

MrEdwardNigma
2007-05-30, 01:26 PM
I just went out to see At World's End (yes, I know, late, isn't it?) and I loved it!
There was plenty of humour, and some great action scenes in this one, and the plot was okay too. I do think they overdid it here and there (the part where Calypso turned into a giant...well, that was just a bit too sily for me...), but still, over all, great movie. It must be ahrd to keep findign pirate legends and such as material for a movie. I mean, making one movie is easy, but making three? And they didn't even anticipate making a sequel, which means they already poured about all they could think of into Curse Of The Black Pearl.

Oh, and what have you guys got against DMC? I see nothing but bad comments about it, but I really liked it. Maybe it was even the best part of the series:
-It's a sequel with a decent plot
-All characters return, and it still makes sense
-New depth was added to personages (like Norrington)
-It has some cool action sequences (I did like the giant wheel part, in fact. Somehow it seemed to work, and it's less silly than the whole Maelstrom thing, even though that was awesome)
-Some of the humor wasn't actually too bad (even though I have to admit it wasn't all that good. Still: Jar of Dirt!)
-It wasn't as far fetched as AWE sometimes was

Well, anyways, Pirates 3 was cool as well, and I really hope there'll be a sequel. The scene with the fountain of youth had me hoping ther would be, but common sense, and the scene after the credits made me doubt it sincerely.

One more thing: the wedding ruled!

One Skunk Todd
2007-05-30, 01:37 PM
Hey, I just thought of something. I wonder if Norrington wound up as crew on the Dutchman. He isn't shown as so, but I'm not sure what the qualifications are. That would be ironic, winding up having to serve under Will.

Jibar
2007-05-30, 03:00 PM
As much as I love them and all, Weebl and his crew do some baaad reviews. (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/articles/677/bum-aches-of-the-carribbean)
He's also one of the latest to say they don't understand the plot. And I still can't work out why. I'm not that smart, and I could follow it fine.

Bookman
2007-05-30, 03:21 PM
As much as I love them and all, Weebl and his crew do some baaad reviews. (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/articles/677/bum-aches-of-the-carribbean)
He's also one of the latest to say they don't understand the plot. And I still can't work out why. I'm not that smart, and I could follow it fine.

I think you just need an awesome hat to understand it Like this one! (http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k268/Bookman89/POTC%20Midnight%20showing/POTCmidnightshowing001.jpg)

Ok I lied....I just figured I should cross post this :tongue:

Illiterate Scribe
2007-05-30, 03:33 PM
My problem with PotC 3:

They were in the Far East.

There were pirates.

Think what was missing, and weep upon it.

Still, they could have been there all the time, and we just didn't notice.

Indon
2007-05-30, 04:30 PM
My problem with PotC 3:

They were in the Far East.

There were pirates.

Think what was missing, and weep upon it.

Still, they could have been there all the time, and we just didn't notice.

Ninjas generally don't like water. I'm sure they were in Singapore, however; how else would the Company have found the pirate den (no, not insiders, silly)?

My opinion of the movie? It rocked. Good humor, good action, very piratey feel to it. Could've used a less useless assembled pirate navy, but oh, well. We can't have everything and the movie was getting on a little long already.

Eerie
2007-05-30, 04:31 PM

Then he`d have to cut out his own liver as well. :smallbiggrin:

You can`t do heart more then once...

MrEdwardNigma
2007-05-31, 01:18 AM
Hey, I just thought of something. I wonder if Norrington wound up as crew on the Dutchman. He isn't shown as so, but I'm not sure what the qualifications are. That would be ironic, winding up having to serve under Will.

The Dutchman clearly asks Norrington when he dies "Are you afraid of death?".
And then Norrington stabs him and the Dutchman says "I'll take that as a no then". I'm guessing if he said "yes" he'd have become part of the wrew, but as it is, there seemed to be no reason for him to become one of them. he clearly refused to be, and he didn't sink to the bottom of the ocean, or something...

Jibar
2007-05-31, 09:35 AM
Fun Story: Keith Richards almost missed filming due to injuries sustained falling out of a palm tree. When he was actually filming, he spent his three days of filming drunk.

Now, the being drunk doesn't surprise me. Falling out of a palm tree? That raises some questions.

squidthingy
2007-05-31, 09:57 AM

I was actually expecting davy jones, jack, will, and norrington to stab it all at the same time, then there would be some sort of final dual where they would all die and the guy with the wooden eye would get all the power

Captain van der Decken
2007-05-31, 10:09 AM
Fun Story: Keith Richards almost missed filming due to injuries sustained falling out of a palm tree. When he was actually filming, he spent his three days of filming drunk.

Now, the being drunk doesn't surprise me. Falling out of a palm tree? That raises some questions.

That was when he was on holiday in Fiji, wasn't it?

It's not that questionable. Climbing trees isn't particularly unusual.

Nerzi
2007-05-31, 10:35 AM
And climbing palm trees is fun :smallbiggrin:

Also: Awesome film. I loved it muchly.

ravenkith
2007-05-31, 10:48 AM
I really think, after the reincarnation of the sci fi film (matrix), the big fantasy adventure (lord of the rings), the superhero movie (xmen), and the pirate movie (POTC), the next logical step is to reincarnate the ninja film.

Think about it...it could be awesome.

We'd have a nija trilogy to look forward to, and then, inevitably, following the aliens v predator movies, Pirates of the Caribbean vs Shinobi.

Then, in an ultimate film-making frenzy, Ninja-Pirates of the Jurassic Park.

Jibar
2007-05-31, 11:46 AM
That was when he was on holiday in Fiji, wasn't it?

Now, see, with that tidbit of information it makes sense.
Before it was just a drunk rock start up a palm tree... which actually makes more sense than being on holiday.

Edit: Having rewatched Dead Man's Chest, it makes a lot more sense now, and I also realised that Orlando is actually acting best when he's talking to a parrot. :smalltongue:

EvilElitest
2007-06-11, 11:44 AM
He... wait. He didn't eat his brain, he choked him by blocking up his throat with tentacles. There was no mind flayer reference.

Stuck tentacles into head, octopus headed guy with little personality, killed random guy we don't care about in a grusome manner, close enough

Also, you could pick up on Calypso and Tia Dalma if you paid just the right attention in the second film, the locket, and if you paid attention to the run up to the third, which was originally going to be "Calypso's Fury"
Those two bits of information with what you're presented with in Dead Man Chest gives you everything you need to predict it.
As i said, boring and cliche, like most of the third movie's plot it was jumplied and poorly thought out

Okay, trying desperately to ignore the dissing... it's not working.
Did you direct the film? If not, then my insults are not directed at you

But to examine the Admiral, because Norringtan is an arse?
Considering he wants to wipe out priates (who are far worst than the Brits i'll let you know) i consider him more moral than the others

Black Pearl: He's strictly antagonist here. Sure, he's a good guy, but he works against the protagonists.
That was a good movie

Dead Man's Chest: Antagonist again. Despite being ruggedly handsome... ahem, he still is out to serve himself, attempting to kill both Jack and Will many times, and eventually signing himself up with Beckett.
Ok he see him return and he is set up for something big, even with his limitied screen time

World's End: He gets his minor redemption saving Elizabeth, but there is no sign whatsoever that he holds any remorse for all the other work he has done with Jones and Beckett.
1. And he dies after maybe four scenes with him in it, why even bother to bring him back, they could have just let him die in the first two
2. Redeemption, what for? Serving the British in destroying known pirates? Ohhhhhh, the horror
3. What has he done with Jones and Beckett. He gave Beckett the heart and then he does
Nothing at all until his death scene.
What is with the whole "Oh dear, i'm on the evil side" angst? He is fighting freaking pirates, far worst than hte navel, hell if you count up the crimes of Barbosa it far outnumbers becketts

Sao Feng's death was necessary to make sure Ms Swan stayed centre stage,
Ah yes, Mr. Evil Bald, Exotic, treacherous, claw wielding Asian baddy, good thing i havn't heard that one before. oh wait, yes i have. I'm fine with him dying, but can he get some character devolpment other than "I am an evil Chinese dude"

and Beckett is not exactly new, and got all the screen time he needed to establish himself as the primary antagonist. Sure, Jones was the baddy monster they fought with, but it was Beckett pulling the strings the whole time.
But he doesn't get any time to devolp as a villan, he has a very good actor and some very good lines, but they never show his motivation other than greed. We never feel any need to feel smpathy for him, and that is funny considering of the pirates and the brits, i'd choose the Brits any day

ninjas generally don't like water. I'm sure they were in Singapore, however; how else would the Company have found the pirate den (no, not insiders, silly)?
Modern Ninja's are from Japan

Japan's fleet was amazing

Ninja's beats pirates

Having rewatched Dead Man's Chest, it makes a lot more sense now, and I also realised that Orlando is actually acting best when he's talking to a parrot.
I always though Mr. Bloom was best in LOTR, because he almost never talked and so we didn't have to see him act just watch his face (Insert fangirl screams here)

from,
EE