PDA

View Full Version : MtG - You Make the Card IV: Threadwalkers

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Tom the Mime
2016-03-02, 03:54 PM
Well since form of dragon is the player being/thinking they're a dragon, form of frost is the same thing with wall of frost

braveheart
2016-03-02, 03:59 PM
You missed my card,
and congrats atom

Fable Wright
2016-03-02, 05:08 PM
...In hindsight, I really should have added some flavor text to the card.

You know those kinds of haunted house TV episodes, where it looks like someone's getting murdered and then they're trapped in a nearby object? Like a painting or a television screen or whatever? The card was meant to replicate that. There's some kind of haunting presence, and dying people are trapped in objects rather than passing on to the next life. They can return to normal only after everyone is gone, in the silence after the world is bathed in fire or divine wrath, or after everyone's accepted the ghosts of the house and can get along with them. That's the flavor of what I was going for.

Mechanically, it's designed to have synergy in a deck based around the Haunt mechanic, which debuted in Guildpact and got zero support aside from the Rusalka. When not in that deck, it acts as a Murder that has the upside/downside of both players being able to protect one creature they control from a future death effect. This could have been conveyed much better with Haunt's reminder text, which I probably should have added in, and some flavor text to make that feel more intuitive.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-03-02, 05:14 PM
This looks more like an ordinary Plainswalker to me. Albeit one with a unique final effect. Not really sure what I think about this one, TBH.
Kinda hoping it would count as a Planeswalker that thinks its a creature, since the final ability is permanent. Ah well.

Atomburster
2016-03-02, 08:38 PM
Woah, I won.

Um, er, hmm.

I'll think of a challenge.

tgva8889
2016-03-02, 10:59 PM
It doesn't start with any counters because it's a land and you get the counters by tapping it for mana. So it actually just accumulates counters by casting spells, with no cost whatsoever attached.

Congrats to the winner!

Atomburster
2016-03-03, 05:19 PM
Okay, the challenge!

Make a gimmicky card.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-03-03, 05:36 PM
Absorbing Wall 5
Artefact Creature - Wall (U)
Defender, Syphon (Whenever an opponent casts a spell with the same mana cost as ~, you may Counter that spell and play ~ without paying ~'s mana cost. Mana cost includes both the converted cost and colour. This ability is played as an Instant. If a spell cannot be countered, you cannot Syphon it. Spells Countered with Syphon go back to their owner's hand, rather than the Graveyard.)
Whenever ~ Blocks a creature, or is the target of a spell an opponent controls, put a +1/+1 counter on it. The counter is gained after the triggering effect resolves.
For every +1/+1 counter on ~, it gains -1/-0.
"Those fools. Everything they do to try to break down the wall only strengthens it!"
0/4

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-04, 12:23 AM
Mystery Machine 10
Artifact - MR
At the beginning of your upkeep, use a web browser to visit [Website URL]. If you do, follow the instructions given on the site. Otherwise, draw a card.
(These effects given on the site are determined at random each time the site is visited. The available options are updated occasionally and range from needlessly complicated to obscenely powerful. You can, 'fail,' to go to the website if the site is down or if nobody present can get a decent internet connection.)

Crown of the King of Card Games
Artifact - ("Promo")
(This card - only one exists - bears the drunken signature of Mark Rosewater, signifying its authenticity. It has been set into one of those cardboard crowns from Burger King.)
As long as you own Crown of the King of Card Games, you win all games and are entitled to all prizes. (This even applies to games in which you do not participate or to which this card is not legal to bring or play, including but not limited to Standard, Vintage, Yu-Gi-Oh, Football, and the Wisconsin Lottery.)

ben-zayb
2016-03-04, 04:11 AM
Congrats to Atomburster! You want gimmick? Here's a gimmick:

Big Damn Heroes XYW(W/U)(W/G)(W/R)(W/B)
Sorcery (M)
Search your library for X planeswalker cards, put them onto the battlefield with Y additional loyalty counters on each, and then shuffle your library. Exile ~ instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.
Fateful hour - If you have 5 life or less, ~ has flash and abilities of planeswalkers you control can be activated any time you could play an instant until end of turn.

Ninjaman
2016-03-04, 04:32 AM
Congrats to Atomburster! You want gimmick? Here's a gimmick:

Big Damn Heroes XX(W/U)(W/G)(W/R)(W/B)
Sorcery (M)
~ can't be countered.
Search your library for up to X planeswalker cards, put them onto the battlefield with 3+X additional loyalty counters on each, and then shuffle your library. Exile ~ instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.
Fateful hour - If you have 5 life or less, ~ has flash and costs X less to cast, and abilities of planeswalkers you control can be activated any time you could play an instant until end of turn.

6 mana find Bolas and ultimate him.
8 mana find Bolas and Tamiyo, ultimate both, and keep them at 1 loyalty.

That seems too strong.

ben-zayb
2016-03-04, 06:58 AM
6 mana find Bolas and ultimate him.
8 mana find Bolas and Tamiyo, ultimate both, and keep them at 1 loyalty.

That seems too strong.Yeah, it's too powerful as is, even when not used as a gimmick. The cost is now split between gimmick (moar walker) and function (moar counters, but moar expensive too), has that forgotten required W, but can be no longer reduced in cost.

mystic1110
2016-03-04, 02:18 PM
Harakiri B
Instant M
You lose the game.
"A dead silence followed, broken only by the hideous noise of the blood throbbing out of the inert heap before us, which but a moment before had been a brave and chivalrous man. It was horrible." ó Algernon Mitford, Tales Of Old Japan

Jormengand
2016-03-04, 04:42 PM
Rebel Champion 2R
Creature - Human Soldier U
Protection from you. (This creature can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything you control or that you own and no-one else controls.)
3/2

Feel free to fire red nukes (eg blasphemous act) at the board.

LaZodiac
2016-03-05, 01:48 AM
Blessing of Rafaam (http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Designs%20by%20Others/Blessing%20of%20Rafaam_zps975ke4r5.png) 2URB
Enchantment (MR)
URB, Discard a card: Target opponent exiles the bottom card of their library under ~. You may cast spells exiled by ~ without paying their mana cost.
"Nice spellbook...I think I'll take it." - Rafaam, Ethereal Arch-Thief

Beacon of Chaos
2016-03-05, 07:20 AM
Pentagram of Power WUBRG

Legendary Enchantment - MR

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control five or more permanents with WUBRG in their mana costs, you win the game.

"One down..."

Ionbound
2016-03-05, 01:21 PM
Sudden Insight-2UR

Instant-R

Exile the bottom card of your library. You may cast it until the end of the turn without paying it's manacost.

Sometimes genius comes from the strangest places... ~Ral Zarek

Blue Ghost
2016-03-06, 01:32 AM
Split in Time URG
Enchantment (R)
You may cast creature spells without paying their mana costs.
At the beginning of your upkeep, for each creature you control that entered the battlefield since the beginning of your last turn, sacrifice that creature unless you pay its mana cost.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Multicolor/Split%20In%20Time_zpst9sq9s7r.png

New entry below.

Fable Wright
2016-03-06, 02:19 AM
Swirl of the Root U
Enchantment - R
Shroud
Whenever one or more permanents are returned to their owner's hand, put a Study counter on ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are 25 or more Study counters on ~, you win the game.

EDIT: Er, Blue Ghost, how does that interact with creature tokens? They don't have a cost, so...

tgva8889
2016-03-06, 02:35 AM
Hyperspeed Form UG
Enchantment - R
You can't cast spells on your turn.
You can't cast more than one spell each turn.
You may cast nonland cards as though they had flash.

LaZodiac
2016-03-06, 02:39 AM
EDIT: Er, Blue Ghost, how does that interact with creature tokens? They don't have a cost, so...

You also don't cast creature tokens.

Fable Wright
2016-03-06, 02:53 AM
You also don't cast creature tokens.

That is correct.

Split in Time URG
Enchantment (R)
You may cast creature spells without paying their mana costs.
At the beginning of your upkeep, for each creature you control that entered the battlefield since the beginning of your last turn, sacrifice that creature unless you pay its mana cost.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Multicolor/Split%20In%20Time_zpst9sq9s7r.png

This, however, does count creature tokens.

LaZodiac
2016-03-06, 03:06 AM
That is correct.

This, however, does count creature tokens.

Okay, so...they have zero CMC. The card Blue made says pay the CMC. So pay zero.

Fable Wright
2016-03-06, 03:41 AM
Okay, so...they have zero CMC. The card Blue made says pay the CMC. So pay zero.

Nope. It doesn't say converted mana cost, it says mana cost, which includes all colored symbols. The problem is, tokens, like Restore Balance/Hypergenesis/Living End/Ancestral Vision/Wheel of Fate/Lotus Bloom, have no mana cost. Their cost cannot be paid, so they will automatically be sacrificed at the beginning of the player's next upkeep. This does not seem intentional.

tgva8889
2016-03-06, 06:20 PM
Or maybe it's totally intentional that it just makes creature tokens die. It seems like how it works with tokens is obvious: You can't pay the mana cost of {null}, so you must sacrifice it. It would be pretty abusive, for example, to cast free cards that make tokens and then sacrifice them after you've gotten what you really care about. A question worth asking, of course, but your question was phrased as if it doesn't work at all, when in fact the text makes completely clear what happens in this situation.

Sucks to be the opposite side of a double-faced creature, though.

Fable Wright
2016-03-06, 06:24 PM
Or maybe it's totally intentional that it just makes creature tokens die. It seems like how it works with tokens is obvious: You can't pay the mana cost of {null}, so you must sacrifice it. It would be pretty abusive, for example, to cast free cards that make tokens and then sacrifice them after you've gotten what you really care about. A question worth asking, of course, but your question was phrased as if it doesn't work at all, when in fact the text makes completely clear what happens in this situation.

Sucks to be the opposite side of a double-faced creature, though.

In which case, reminder text to that effect, like the standard (nonexistent costs cannot be paid), would be very helpful to the average player to prevent misunderstandings like LaZodiac's.

Blue Ghost
2016-03-06, 06:43 PM
Tokens were not what I had in mind when I designed the card. I could add a "nontoken" clause, but I generally prefer elegance of design to covering all the corner cases. And allowing for tokens won't really do much for the Johnny audience the card was designed for.

But my card is probably horrifically broken in completely unrelated ways, so I'll submit a new entry.

Fortuna
2016-03-06, 08:06 PM
Sudden Insight-2UR

Instant-R

Exile the bottom card of your library. You may cast it until the end of the turn without paying it's manacost.

Are you familiar with Unexpected Results (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366248)? Your card is similar, but without the protection against stacking the deck to ensure casting an Omniscience or whatever.

Polyphasic Mana Engine 4
Artifact - R
Activate abilities of this permanent only any time you could cast a sorcery.
W: Until the next time you activate an ability of this permanent, if damage would be dealt to you or a permanent you control, prevent 1 of that damage.
U: Until the next time you activate an ability of this permanent, if you would draw a card, instead scry 1 and then draw a card.
B: Until the next time you activate an ability of this permanent, whenever a non-Zombie creature you control dies, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token into play.
R: Until the next time you activate an ability of this permanent, if a source you control would deal damage, it deals that much damage plus one instead.
G: Until the next time you activate an ability of this permanent, whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

New entry further down the thread.

Blue Ghost
2016-03-06, 09:30 PM
Are you familiar with Unexpected Results (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366248)? Your card is similar, but without the protection against stacking the deck to ensure casting an Omniscience or whatever.

Polyphasic Mana Engine 4
Artifact - R
Activate abilities of this permanent only any time you could cast a sorcery.
W: Until the next time you activate an ability of this permanent, if damage would be dealt to you or a permanent you control, prevent 1 of that damage.
U: Until the next time you activate an ability of this permanent, if you would draw a card, instead scry 1 and then draw a card.
B: Until the next time you activate an ability of this permanent, whenever a non-Zombie creature you control dies, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token into play.
R: Until the next time you activate an ability of this permanent, if a source you control would deal damage, it deals that much damage plus one instead.
G: Until the next time you activate an ability of this permanent, whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

Your card's text is 26 lines long at normal card font size.

Atomburster
2016-03-06, 09:57 PM
But my card is probably horrifically broken in completely unrelated ways, so I'll submit a new entry.

Et tu, Super Haste (and related cards)? :p

Fortuna
2016-03-06, 10:01 PM
Your card's text is 26 lines long at normal card font size.

Yeah. I'm trying to find a clever templating trick to avoid needing to repeat the same clause over and over, but even then it'll be long... oh well, it's all I could come up with for this week's challenge.

Blue Ghost
2016-03-06, 10:11 PM
New entry:

Hurl Into the Future 2U
Sorcery (C)
Exile target creature and put three time counters on it. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.
"Next time we meet, it will be far too late for you."

Fable Wright
2016-03-06, 10:23 PM
New entry:

Hurl Into the Future 2U
Sorcery (C)
Exile target creature with three time counters on it. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.

Is that exiling a creature that specifically has three time counters on it already, or putting the time counters on it after it's exiled? Consider looking at Delay (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=132228) for templating.

Ionbound
2016-03-06, 10:32 PM

That's the intended gimmick. Besides, it's harder than you'd think to get the card you want on the exact bottom of your library.

Fable Wright
2016-03-06, 10:37 PM
That's the intended gimmick. Besides, it's harder than you'd think to get the card you want on the exact bottom of your library.

Right, right. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[bottom]+[of]+[library]+[any]+[order]) Also, Scry says hello. That said, it is a little bit harder than Graveyard.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-06, 10:47 PM
Fortuna, I think the templating trick you're looking for is the clever, oft-forgotten gambit of making five separate cards. It's not like there's a deck that wants to synergize with all of those effects at once, right?

Heliophasic Mana Engine 3W
Artifact - Engine R
If damage would be dealt to you or a permanent you control, prevent 1 of that damage.

Aquaphasic Mana Engine 3U
Artifact - Engine R
If you would draw a card, instead scry 1, then draw a card.

Necrophasic Mana Engine 3B
Artifact - Engine R
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.

Pyrophasic Mana Engine 3R
Artifact - Engine R
If a source you control would deal damage, it deals that much damage plus one instead.

Ecophasic Mana Engine 3G
Artifact - Engine R
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

Then again, now that I've already done all of that, that kind of simplifies what your card needs to do:
Polyphasic Mana Engine 4
Artifact - Engine MR
When PME enters the battlefield, choose a color. You may pay one mana of that color. If you do, search your library for an Engine artifact of that color and put it on the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
Sacrifice an Engine artifact: Choose a color. You may pay one mana of that color. If you do, search your library for an Engine artifact of that color and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

The gimmick is still intact, and it also throws on a few more fairly interesting interactions. Does that help?

tgva8889
2016-03-06, 11:00 PM
I believe the most number of lines of text on a single card is 10, but it might still be 9. In any case, more than that is nearly impossible.

Blue Ghost
2016-03-06, 11:12 PM
Is that exiling a creature that specifically has three time counters on it already, or putting the time counters on it after it's exiled? Consider looking at Delay (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=132228) for templating.

I did use Delay for templating, but it looks like that turned out ambiguous. Will fix it.

Fortuna
2016-03-07, 07:41 AM
Fortuna, I think the templating trick you're looking for is the clever, oft-forgotten gambit of making five separate cards. It's not like there's a deck that wants to synergize with all of those effects at once, right?

Heliophasic Mana Engine 3W
Artifact - Engine R
If damage would be dealt to you or a permanent you control, prevent 1 of that damage.

Aquaphasic Mana Engine 3U
Artifact - Engine R
If you would draw a card, instead scry 1, then draw a card.

Necrophasic Mana Engine 3B
Artifact - Engine R
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.

Pyrophasic Mana Engine 3R
Artifact - Engine R
If a source you control would deal damage, it deals that much damage plus one instead.

Ecophasic Mana Engine 3G
Artifact - Engine R
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

Then again, now that I've already done all of that, that kind of simplifies what your card needs to do:
Polyphasic Mana Engine 4
Artifact - Engine MR
When PME enters the battlefield, choose a color. You may pay one mana of that color. If you do, search your library for an Engine artifact of that color and put it on the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
Sacrifice an Engine artifact: Choose a color. You may pay one mana of that color. If you do, search your library for an Engine artifact of that color and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

The gimmick is still intact, and it also throws on a few more fairly interesting interactions. Does that help?

It helps a bit... except now it's six different cards, not one card, so I can't submit it to the contest. :smalltongue:

EDIT: New card. Not sure whether or not this meets the contest criterion, but oh well.

Fulcrum of Power 3BB
Sorcery - R
Choose one or more:
- Return target card from your graveyard to your hand, then discard a card.
- Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield, then sacrifice a creature.
- Creatures you control get -1/-1 until end of turn. Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures you control.

Atomburster
2016-03-11, 06:49 AM
Right. It's been a little over a week, so expect a judging coming in the next.. hour or so.

EDIT: Hours? :smalltongue:

Atomburster
2016-03-11, 09:48 AM
Results time!

Note: I started regretting selecting 'Gimmick' for my challenge almost as soon as the first few cards started appearing. Evaluating the cards wasn't particularly easy.

Absorbing Wall 5
Artefact Creature - Wall (U)
Defender, Syphon (Whenever an opponent casts a spell with the same mana cost as ~, you may Counter that spell and play ~ without paying ~'s mana cost. Mana cost includes both the converted cost and colour. This ability is played as an Instant. If a spell cannot be countered, you cannot Syphon it. Spells Countered with Syphon go back to their owner's hand, rather than the Graveyard.)
Whenever ~ Blocks a creature, or is the target of a spell an opponent controls, put a +1/+1 counter on it. The counter is gained after the triggering effect resolves.
For every +1/+1 counter on ~, it gains -1/-0.
"Those fools. Everything they do to try to break down the wall only strengthens it!"
0/4
As I read this, you opponent's spells that cost exactly (5) will be countered and returned to hand. Um, okay. It's +1/+1 |-1/0 gimmick is a little odd, and it's main use will be a deck revolving around counters, I imagine. It's low toughness is kind of the killer, though. A little overpriced, given that.

Mystery Machine 10
Artifact - MR
At the beginning of your upkeep, use a web browser to visit [Website URL]. If you do, follow the instructions given on the site. Otherwise, draw a card.
(These effects given on the site are determined at random each time the site is visited. The available options are updated occasionally and range from needlessly complicated to obscenely powerful. You can, 'fail,' to go to the website if the site is down or if nobody present can get a decent internet connection.)
Um, gimmicky yes, but this really should be in an un-set, given what it does. For a 10 mana card, it's also rather prone to not working out.

Big Damn Heroes XYW(W/U)(W/G)(W/R)(W/B)
Sorcery (M)
Search your library for X planeswalker cards, put them onto the battlefield with Y additional loyalty counters on each, and then shuffle your library. Exile ~ instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.
Fateful hour - If you have 5 life or less, ~ has flash and abilities of planeswalkers you control can be activated any time you could play an instant until end of turn.
I'm reading this as more like XYWWW2 in terms of mana cost, TBH. Compared to Call the Gatewatch, which is the closest card I've got to compare to, this card blows it out of the water. WW1 more to put the planeswalker onto the field straightaway, ignoring any mana problems you might have with summoning that particular planeswalker? 1 additional mana per planewalker on top of this? Additional flexibility from it's fateful hour and Y mana payment it's just icing.

Harakiri B
Instant M
You lose the game.
"A dead silence followed, broken only by the hideous noise of the blood throbbing out of the inert heap before us, which but a moment before had been a brave and chivalrous man. It was horrible." ó Algernon Mitford, Tales Of Old Japan
While I can't conceive much uses of this card (Compared to Final Fortune, for instance), it certainly is the gimmicky card that Johny would love to try and break. Well done.

Rebel Champion 2R
Protection from you. (This creature can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything you control or that you own and no-one else controls.)
3/2
Certainly an interesting card, I say. Combos quite well with cards that have the 'drawback' of nuking your own board, as in your example.

Blessing of Rafaam (http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Designs%20by%20Others/Blessing%20of%20Rafaam_zps975ke4r5.png) 2URB
Enchantment (MR)
URB, Discard a card: Target opponent exiles the bottom card of their library under ~. You may cast spells exiled by ~ without paying their mana cost.
"Nice spellbook...I think I'll take it." - Rafaam, Ethereal Arch-Thief
So, it's a card that converts your cards into weaker versions of Praetor's Grasp, then? That's.. okay, I suppose, but weak, when you consider lands.

Pentagram of Power WUBRG

Legendary Enchantment - MR

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control five or more permanents with WUBRG in their mana costs, you win the game.

"One down..."
A wincon card. Not particularly gimmicky or usable, as if you have 5 or more permanents with WUBRG (See: http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/WUBRG) in their mana costs you really should have won the game already (Each WUBRG card is practically a wincon on it's own). Would help immensely if this card did something else in addition to this.

Sudden Insight-2UR

Instant-R

This card quite naturally goes with Scry. Without that it's useless about 1/3 of the time, below-costed another 1/3 and decent to great for the remainder 1/3.

It's okay.

Swirl of the Root U
Enchantment - R
Shroud
Whenever one or more permanents are returned to their owner's hand, put a Study counter on ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are 25 or more Study counters on ~, you win the game.
So another alternate win-con card? It's, okay, I guess. Potentially potent with bounceland bounce decks.

Hyperspeed Form UG
Enchantment - R
You can't cast spells on your turn.
You can't cast more than one spell each turn.
You may cast nonland cards as though they had flash.
After looking at this a little, this seems suprisingly reasonable for it's effect, especially in multiplayer games. The ability to play sorceries as instants, and the ability to place creatures as your opponents attack is quite significant. Well done.

Hurl Into the Future 2U
Sorcery (C)
Exile target creature and put three time counters on it. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.
'Exile target creature for 3 rounds' Okay, I suppose. Not the most gimmicky card.

Fulcrum of Power 3BB
Sorcery - R
Choose one or more:
- Return target card from your graveyard to your hand, then discard a card.
- Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield, then sacrifice a creature.
- Creatures you control get -1/-1 until end of turn. Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures you control.
While the former 2 effects aren't gimmicky by any stretch, I can sort of see what deck this card might go into, given it's last effect. It's effects are somewhat reasonable for it's manacost.

Fable Wright, with Swirl of Root!
tgva8889, with Hyperspeed Form!
Jormengand, with Rebel Champion!

Fortuna
2016-03-11, 09:59 AM
While the former 2 effects aren't gimmicky by any stretch, I can sort of see what deck this card might go into, given it's last effect. It's effects are somewhat reasonable for it's manacost.

The idea was that the gimmick is that each effect is 'symmetrical'. It's not a play gimmick so much as a design/writing gimmick - your contest was very broad.

Jormengand
2016-03-11, 11:32 AM
Yay!

Next, Make a card that alters or suspends one of the rules of the game for some duration. For example, the epic spells which stop you being able to cast spells, a card with "Creatures can't block", things like Platinum Emperion's "Your life total can't change" and Maralen of the Mornsong's "Players can't draw cards".

Beacon of Chaos
2016-03-11, 12:47 PM
Status Field 4UU

Enchantment - R

Permanents cannot gain or lose counters.

When a permanent would enter the battlefield with one or more counters, it enters with no counters instead.

ben-zayb
2016-03-11, 08:26 PM
All-Out War 2RR
Enchantment (R)
Creatures can be attacked. (A defending creature's controller can assign blockers, including it, as normal. Its attackers with trample deal excess combat damage to it only.)

Ionbound
2016-03-11, 08:34 PM
Silversong-2WW

Enchantment-R

Creatures can't transform. If a creature would transform, exile it instead.

The Bard smiled a humorless smile as she played, while she watched the werewolves fall to their knees and keen in pain.

Atomburster
2016-03-11, 10:24 PM
Life and Death 2BG
Enchantment - R
+1/+1 counters function as -1/-1 counters and vice-versa.

Life comes unto death, and from death life sprouts. So it has been, and it shall be.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-12, 12:38 AM
I've been looking to Markov the Gathering (https://twitter.com/markovmtg) for inspiration:

307.4. Sorceries can't enter the battlefield, except it's still 7/7.

Thundering Essence 5RR
Sorcery Creature - Elemental MR
Your sorcery cards can enter the battlefield. If Thundering Essence or another sorcery card you control would resolve, put it on the battlefield instead.
Other sorcery cards you own are 7/7 Elemental creature cards in addition to their other types.
7/7

Thundering Essence 5RR
Sorceries can enter the battlefield. Put Thundering Essence on the battlefield.
Sorcery cards you own are elemental creature cards with power and toughness 7/7 in addition to their other types.
Whenever a sorcery you own resolves, return it from your graveyard to the battlefield.
7/7

704.5d. If a token would change zones, it remains in its previous zone instead.

Emmara Tandris Again 4WG
Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman
If a token creature you control would leave the battlefield, it remains on the battlefield instead. (Even if its toughness is 0 or less.)
4/4

702.2e. If an effect requires information from the battlefield, choose a color.

If an object changes zones before an effect causes it to deal damage, its last known
information is used to determine whether it had deathtouch.

Shaman of Impotent Rage 1B
Creature - Zombie Shaman R
If Shaman of Impotent Rage or another permanent would leave the battlefield, instead it gains deathtouch, then it leaves the battlefield.
1/3

112.4. Some activated abilities may be blocked.

Some activated abilities and some triggered abilities are mana abilities. Mana abilities follow
special rules: They donít use the stack, and, under certain circumstances, a player can activate mana
abilities even if he or she doesnít have priority. See rule 605, ďMana Abilities.Ē

Garbage Toilet 2
Artifact - R
Mana abilities use the stack.

801.7. A triggered ability doesn't trigger at all. If that player doesn't, he or she controls any time he or she spends mana to pay costs.

Deadsilk Wrappings 3
Artifact - R
Triggered abilities of creatures don't trigger. (This includes, 'enters the battlefield,' abilities.)
Sacrifice Deadsilk Wrappings: Until end of turn, if a triggered ability of a creature you control would trigger, that ability triggers twice instead.

...and I actually like this last one best of all, but it somehow feels like it's missing something:

202.3. The converted mana cost is 0.
Wasteland Racketeer 2
Creature - Human Rogue R
All cards, spells and tokens have converted mana cost 3. (This doesn't change their actual mana costs.)
2/1

Tom the Mime
2016-03-12, 01:02 AM
Squatting 2UG
Enchantment - R
Whenever they could play a sorcery, players may tap their opponents lands for mana.
At the end of each phase, each player loses life equal to the amount of mana in their mana pool.
It's not like you were using it anyway

Needed to reinstate mana burn to stop people just tapping out at the end of their turn. Not sure if it works as written with priorities though.

LaZodiac
2016-03-12, 01:39 AM
Incinerate the Fabric
Ongoing Scheme
Mana doesn't empty from player's mana pools. At the end of your opponent's turn, each opponent taps their lands for (C), then takes damage equal to the amount of mana in their mana pool.
Abandon this scheme when an opponent takes ten or more damage from this scheme.
"Let his vast hunger become part of you. Let his power consume you!" - Ayli, Eldrazi High Priest.

tgva8889
2016-03-12, 01:46 AM
Geocasting 2GG
Enchantment (M)
Players can't add mana to their mana pools.
Each player can't cast more than one spell per turn.
Players may cast spells without paying their mana costs as long as they control both lands with basic land types which produce mana of all types featured in that spell's mana cost and a total number of lands equal to that spell's converted mana cost. (For example, in order to cast a spell that costs 2UR in this way, you must control an Island, a Mountain, and 4 total lands.)

Blue Ghost
2016-03-12, 02:23 AM
Rix Maadi
Plane - Ravnica
Damage is not removed from creatures at the cleanup step.
Whenever you roll {Chaos}, Rix Maadi deals 3 damage to target creature.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Colorless/Rix%20Maadi_zpswr0uqkqo.png

Jormengand
2016-03-12, 02:13 PM
I've been looking to Markov the Gathering (https://twitter.com/markovmtg) for inspiration:

Ooh, fun!

Wither: A keyword ability that creates a token that's a copy of Elite Vanguard that turn.

A copy of a Skyshroud Behemoth will also enter the battlefield under his or her vanguard card.

Withering Assault 1WBG
Enchantment U
Whenever you cast a creature spell with Wither, put a 2/1 white human soldier creature token onto the battlefield under your control. It gains haste until end of turn. Exile it at end of turn. When you do, put a 10/10 green beast creature token with fading 2 onto the battlefield under your control.

Hidden Zone: A zone in which its players sit.

Zone to Zone 1PP
Instant U (Un)
You play hide and seek with target player, with them as the seeker. If you hide from them over 5 minutes, exile target creature.

The text box usually contains an ability that has a Magic back or came from a non-Aura source (such as "All creatures lose all abilities").

Disjunction 3WU
Sorcery R
All creatures lose all abilities. (This effect lasts indefinitely but only affects creatures on the battlefield now.)

104.3k. In a tournament, all players in the game. This happens immediately and overrides all effects.

Grand Tournament 3WW
Sorcery MR
Choose target player with the fewest number of lands. Each player who lost the game returns to the game with half their starting life total, then searches their library for X lands, where X is the number of lands the chosen player controls, puts them onto the battlefield, shuffles their library and draws seven cards.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-03-12, 05:37 PM
Blood Price 4BB
Enchantment - R
You cannot activate mana abilities of other permanents you control.
Lands you control have "{T}: Add 1 to your life total." This ability does not use the stack.
Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool.

Through blood our convent is made. Through pain our power is wrought.

Blood Price 4BB
Enchantment - R
>You no longer pay ordinary mana costs to play spells. Instead, whenever you play a card from your hand, you lose life equal to that card's converted mana cost. If the card has a variable cost, or allows you to pay a different price, then you may do so, losing life equal to the "new" cost. (Different price refers to an ability like Surge or Dash that allow you to play a card for a different cost than its normal one.)
>Whenever mana would be added to your pool, it isn't. Instead for each mana that would be added to your pool, you add 1 to your life total. (This is NOT the same as gaining life.)
>Multiple copies of this card do not stack. (That is to say, if you have two copies of this card on the field, then your life total only changes once, even though both cards were triggered.)

Ninjaman
2016-03-12, 07:43 PM
Blood Price 4BB
Enchantment - R
>You no longer pay ordinary mana costs to play spells. Instead, whenever you play a card from your hand, you lose life equal to that card's converted mana cost. If the card has a variable cost, or allows you to pay a different price, then you may do so, losing life equal to the "new" cost. (Different price refers to an ability like Surge or Dash that allow you to play a card for a different cost than its normal one.)
>Whenever mana would be added to your pool, it isn't. Instead for each mana that would be added to your pool, you add 1 to your life total. (This is NOT the same as gaining life.)
>Multiple copies of this card do not stack. (That is to say, if you have two copies of this card on the field, then your life total only changes once, even though both cards were triggered.)

This is way too much text but could easily be trimmed down if you were willing to remove some of the narrow clauses that don't seem necessary.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-03-12, 08:02 PM
Always am. What trimming do you have in mind?

Fable Wright
2016-03-12, 08:35 PM
Always am. What trimming do you have in mind?

You could dumb it down a bit.

"You cannot activate mana abilities of other permanents you control. Lands you control have {T}: Gain 1 life.

Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

90% of the functionality, in a fraction of the card space.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-03-12, 08:36 PM
That works. Thank you.

Misothene
2016-03-13, 10:23 PM
Deterrence 4WW
Enchantment- R
You can't draw cards.
Skip the combat phase.
"I saw what they did to the Eldrazi Titans. Think of what they could do to us."
-Former General Tazri

- - - Updated - - -

Geocasting 2GG
Enchantment (M)
Players may cast spells without paying their mana costs as long as they control both lands with basic land types which produce mana of all types featured in that spell's mana cost and a total number of lands equal to that spell's converted mana cost. (For example, in order to cast a spell that costs 2UR in this way, you must control an Island, a Mountain, and 4 total lands.)

So nobody can ever cast Kozilek or any other spell with C in the cost? Or pay flashback, dash, unearth, etc. costs? Just making sure that's intended functionality.

What does it mean to be "featured in" a mana cost? How does this work with hybrid costs? Two-brid? Split cards?

Blood Price 4BB
Enchantment - R
You cannot activate mana abilities of other permanents you control. Lands you control have, instead of their usual ability, {T}: Add 1 to your life total. Non-mana granting effects function normally.

If I can't activate their mana abilities, why bother removing them? If all of their abilities are replaced, how can they "function normally?" I think you need the following text:
"You can't activate mana abilities of other permanents you control.
Lands you control have "T: you gain one life."
Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Thundering Essence 5RR
Sorceries can enter the battlefield. Put Thundering Essence on the battlefield.
Sorcery cards you own are elemental creature cards with power and toughness 7/7 in addition to their other types.
Whenever a sorcery you own resolves, return it from your graveyard to the battlefield.
7/7

If you put the creature card type on it, then it becomes a permanent when it resolves instead of doing its text, and just goes to the battlefield. As written, this (usually) makes all your sorceries do nothing except become 7/7s (which is, admittedly, pretty far from nothing, particularly for little sorceries that cost no mana like Gitaxian Probe) because their text would be non-functional on a permanent. This, of course, is putting aside questions of what happens when this dies and there are just a bunch of sorceries floating around. Here's the relevant rule regarding Sorceries and Instants trying to go to the battlefield: "400.4a If an instant or sorcery card would enter the battlefield, it remains in its previous zone." You could patch the rules to say they go to the graveyard if they don't have a permanent type, but then you would need additional text on your card.
Here's a version that works, is functionally similar, but isn't as fun and doesn't meet the contest requirements:
"Thundering Essence 5RR
Enchantment MR
When Thundering Essence enters the battlefield or a sorcery spell you control resolves, put a 7/7 red Elemental creature token onto the battlefield."

Here's a version that tries to match exactly what your card does (reliant on some rules patching):
"Thundering Essence 5RR
Sorcery MR
When Thundering Essence resolves, return it from your graveyard to the battlefield and it gains "Sorcery cards can be put onto the battlefield."
As long as Thundering Essence is on the battlefield, whenever a sorcery spell you control resolves, return it from your graveyard to the battlefield.
As long as Thundering Essence is on the battlefield, sorceries you control on the battlefield are 7/7 Elemental creatures in addition to their other types."

Normally a permanent wouldn't require "as long as X is on the battlefield" language since it would be redundant, but on a sorcery, phrasing it any other way would make the effect last indefinitely. It's a lot easier to phrase if the initial card is JUST a permanent- since I'm not sure my wording works either due to rule 400.4a.

tgva8889
2016-03-15, 11:05 PM
So nobody can ever cast Kozilek or any other spell with C in the cost? Or pay flashback, dash, unearth, etc. costs? Just making sure that's intended functionality.

What does it mean to be "featured in" a mana cost? How does this work with hybrid costs? Two-brid? Split cards?

The card is written as it is intended. Whatever results from that is what results from that.

"Featured in" means what it obviously means based on that reminder text; mana symbols appearing in the cost of the card are "featured in" the cost of the card. Two-brid is obvious (and awful with this card), hybrid mana symbols are either-or mana symbols and thus function as you would expect, split cards function weirdly with this card but such is the cost of doing business, but you can figure out how they work by understanding all the weird rules split cards normally have.

mystic1110
2016-03-16, 09:32 AM
Eldritch Moon 3GG
Enchantment
Whenever a permanent that could transform or flip enters the battlefield, transform or flip it.
When the moon never sets and the sun never rises nightmares never sleep.

Fortuna
2016-03-16, 09:47 AM
Unending War 3RR
Enchantment - R
Skip each player's main phases.
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player may skip their next turn. If they do, sacrifice Unending War.
No growth, no creation. Only bloodshed, and the suffering it brings.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-03-16, 03:34 PM
If I can't activate their mana abilities, why bother removing them?

*shrugs* Call it a personal habit. I just like to be clear that, no, you do not get mana from lands.

If all of their abilities are replaced, how can they "function normally?"

There are some lands that have alternative effects that don't grant mana. Such as Ruins of Oran-Rief's +1/+1 counter. This is, again, is just a personal clarity thing. Nothing more.

Misothene
2016-03-16, 06:23 PM
*shrugs* Call it a personal habit. I just like to be clear that, no, you do not get mana from lands.

There are some lands that have alternative effects that don't grant mana. Such as Ruins of Oran-Rief's +1/+1 counter. This is, again, is just a personal clarity thing. Nothing more.

My point is that the extra text actually made things less clear, since the different lines imply contradictory effects. Removing both of them would have exactly the same function without the possible confusion. If you think there might be ambiguity in how people read the card, you could use reminder text to clarify its scope rather than adding more rules text, though I think it's unnecessary in this case.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-16, 10:37 PM
If you put the creature card type on it, then it becomes a permanent when it resolves instead of doing its text, and just goes to the battlefield. As written, this (usually) makes all your sorceries do nothing except become 7/7s (which is, admittedly, pretty far from nothing, particularly for little sorceries that cost no mana like Gitaxian Probe) because their text would be non-functional on a permanent.

That was actually the intent of an earlier version of the card. Of course, I also made the exact opposite assumption regarding how a sorcery creature would behave by default. Your version of how it works would make the necessary text much simpler. Some reminder text would still clearly be necessary, though, and my instinct is to lay out the implications with rules text since the effect is unlikely to ever be repeated.

This, of course, is putting aside questions of what happens when this dies and there are just a bunch of sorceries floating around. That a bunch of sorceries end up sitting useless on the battlefield once it leaves is a perfectly acceptable side-effect, especially considering that you could theoretically drop another T.E. and wake them up again... at least until the rules are updated to clean them up with a state-based action, as any sensible game would do.

Anyway, edits to that effect will be made to the original post.

Ninjaman
2016-03-17, 02:17 AM

Thing is, magic has a way of wording abilities for a reason, you should really stick to that.

Jormengand
2016-03-19, 05:57 PM
Life and Death 2BG
Enchantment - R
+1/+1 counters function as -1/-1 counters and vice-versa.

Life comes unto death, and from death life sprouts. So it has been, and it shall be.

Well...

It's pretty interesting. The only problem I see is that it makes persist/undying read their own counters the wrong way up ("Function as" is unused wording, so you need to be careful with what you mean). I like thinking about how to use this, which is good.
Thundering Essence 5RR
Your sorcery cards can enter the battlefield. If Thundering Essence or another sorcery card you control would resolve, put it on the battlefield instead.
Other sorcery cards you own are 7/7 Elemental creature cards in addition to their other types.
7/7

That's pretty powerful in conjunction with, say, any cheap sorceries (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&type=+[%22Sorcery%22]&cmc=+=[1]) and something to make it indestructible. I'm not sure that's okay.
Squatting 2UG
Enchantment - R
Whenever they could play a sorcery, players may tap their opponents lands for mana.
At the end of each phase, each player loses life equal to the amount of mana in their mana pool.
It's not like you were using it anyway

Needed to reinstate mana burn to stop people just tapping out at the end of their turn. Not sure if it works as written with priorities though.

That is... a weird card. Comes with the challenge I guess, but the implications... it means that you're playing a completely different game at the drop of a hat, and I'm not sure whether I love that or hate it.
Incinerate the Fabric
Ongoing Scheme
Mana doesn't empty from player's mana pools. At the end of your opponent's turn, each opponent taps their lands for (C), then takes damage equal to the amount of mana in their mana pool.
Abandon this scheme when an opponent takes ten or more damage from this scheme.
"Let his vast hunger become part of you. Let his power consume you!" - Ayli, Eldrazi High Priest.

Huh.

So I guess this is basically mana burn only you burn for mana that you didn't put in your mana pool at all. I guess that's kinda neat, but I would much rather it happened at the end of your turn to give people a chance to use instants. Also, 10 or more damage? That's a lot of damage to be taking at once.
Geocasting 2GG
Enchantment (M)

I can't get over the fact that this reads "Target maze's end player loses the game", or indeed that it screws over people running things like refuges or temples. Also, it's pretty much easier to get the same effect by making everyone untap lands in each untap step and restricting to one spell a turn.
Rix Maadi
Plane - Ravnica
Damage is not removed from creatures at the cleanup step.
Whenever you roll {Chaos}, Rix Maadi deals 3 damage to target creature.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Colorless/Rix%20Maadi_zpswr0uqkqo.png

Neat. That's about it, really, neat.
Blood Price 4BB
Enchantment - R
You cannot activate mana abilities of other permanents you control.
Lands you control have "{T}: Add 1 to your life total." This ability does not use the stack.

Hmm. Hmmmm...

It's probably an easy way to drop an emrakul on someone, plus it can be useful to get more life after that. I'm calling that people will probably abuse it, especially if they have things like hero's reunion (can you say dark ritual three times fast?) and card draw.
Deterrence 4WW
Enchantment- R
You can't draw cards.
Skip the combat phase.
"I saw what they did to the Eldrazi Titans. Think of what they could do to us."
-Former General Tazri[/COLOR]

I'm scared of people giving this to another player. Also I doubt people will use it that much otherwise.
Eldritch Moon 3GG
Enchantment
Whenever a permanent that could transform or flip enters the battlefield, transform or flip it.
When the moon never sets and the sun never rises nightmares never sleep.

Ehh, I see what you're doing, but I worry about things like spamming chalices of death, origins walkers (especially kytheon), insectile abominations, withengars, veil-cursed and instant ultimate, and most worryingly, ludevic's abominations. I mean, for example, the turn afterwards you could drop two chalices or three abominations. Honestly? This just scares me a little.
Unending War 3RR
Enchantment - R
Skip each player's main phases.
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player may skip their next turn. If they do, sacrifice Unending War.
No growth, no creation. Only bloodshed, and the suffering it brings.

That's a slightly roundabout way to get one-and-a-bit extra turns, but that's what it is.

Atomburster!
Dr Gunsforhands!
Blue Ghost! Well done! You win!

Ionbound
2016-03-19, 06:17 PM
You missed mine, Jor.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-03-19, 07:15 PM
Missed mine too.

ben-zayb
2016-03-19, 08:39 PM
Looks like mine was, too.

tgva8889
2016-03-19, 09:20 PM
I guess no one got the fact that my card was referencing an alternate mana mechanic used in some other games. Or the fact that the actual purpose of the card was to turn off mana creatures, mana artifacts, and other ways to get bonus mana like Eldrazi Temple and Ancient Tomb.

Oh no, screwing people playing nonbasic lands, whatever will we do? If only there were lots of nonbasic lands with basic land types that lots of people play...At least I know everyone hates Blood Moon.

Jormengand
2016-03-20, 06:45 AM
Apologies. Silversong seems like the kind of thing that would slightly irritate an origin-walkers player and basically be "Target werewolves player loses the game", but be otherwise useless. I don't like that kind of design. Status Field seems like it's going to be pretty niche, so either you're abusing it horribly or you don't want to be paying 6 for it. All-out war is very similar to just handing out provoke to things, and seems to be altering rules practically for the sheer hell of it.

Blue Ghost
2016-03-20, 05:40 PM
Yay, thanks!

New contest: Make a double-faced card.

Ionbound
2016-03-20, 05:56 PM
I'm going to make a brief assumption here, that the rules were slightly different and had the additional clause, 'Double-Faced Cards count as having both of their names when on the battlefield', which neatly fixes the

Halana and Alena, Kessig Rangers-2RG

Legendary Creature-Human Archer Werewolf-R

R, T: ~ deals two damage to target creature or player

At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform ~

It would be pure cruelty to tear you apart...

3/3

Halana and Alena, Wantons-{RG}

Legendary Creature-Werewolf-R

Trample

Other non-Human Werewolves you control have +1/+1, Trample, and cannot transform

At the beginning of each upkeep, if two or more spells were cast last turn, transform ~

...So you both shall share in our curse

6/6

Fable Wright
2016-03-20, 06:13 PM
I'm going to make a brief assumption here, that the rules were slightly different and had the additional clause, 'Double-Faced Cards count as having both of their names when on the battlefield', which neatly fixes the
-snip-

You're missing the 'at the beginning of each upkeep' in front of the no spells/two spells.

Ionbound
2016-03-20, 06:34 PM
Oops. Thanks for catching that for me.

Blue Ghost
2016-03-20, 06:36 PM
You're also missing rarity. I assume rare or mythic?

Ionbound
2016-03-20, 07:18 PM
Yep...Fixed that too. Danke.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-20, 07:42 PM
Fallen of the Void 2UB
Creature - Angel R
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player puts the top 3 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. Then, if you have 15 or more cards in your graveyard, transform Fallen of the Void.
3/3

//

Risen of the Void (W)
Creature - Angel
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put target card in your graveyard on top of your library.
5/5

mystic1110
2016-03-21, 11:42 AM
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing 1W
Creature - Wolf C
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life.
At the end of each turn, if you gained 2 or more life, transform Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
0/2
//
Unveiled Predator
Creature - Wolf
(Color Indicator: Black-Green)
Menace
4/3

ben-zayb
2016-03-21, 01:43 PM
Necronomicon Scholar 1(U/B)
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
1(U/B),T: Draw a card if U was spent to activate this ability. Regenerate ~ if B was spent to activate this ability. (Do both if UB was spent.)
Discard seven cards: Transform ~.
2/2

//

Lorekeeper Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard (R)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, you may have target player draw a card.
When ~ dies, you may return a card from your hand on top of your library. If you do, return it from its owner's graveyard onto the battlefield transformed at the beginning of the next end step.
4/4

Sgt. Cookie
2016-03-21, 02:08 PM
Face of Mockery 3BU
Enchantment U
Prevent the first 2 points of damage creatures your opponents control would deal to creatures you control
T: Target creature an opponent controls must attack this turn if able.
When a creature you control dies, transform Face of Mockery.

//

Face of Mourning
Enchantment
Creatures your opponents control take 2 more points of damage from creatures you control
T: Target creature an opponent controls must block this turn if able.
When a creature an opponent controls dies, transform Face of Mourning.

I used this wording, rather than throwing around +x/-x, as I wanted to restrict the effect to critter-on-critter violence.

And yes, I DID make a double-faced, double face :p

Jormengand
2016-03-21, 03:40 PM
Moment of Blasphemy 2R
Enchantment - M
Flamestorm 3 (Whenever an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage, it deals 3 more damage)
Moment of Blasphemy can't leave the battlefield.
At the end of your turn, transform Moment of Blasphemy.

Lifetime of Heresy (R)
Enchantment - M
Lifetime of Heresy can't leave the battlefield.
At the start of your upkeep, Lifetime of Heresy deals 3 damage to you.

Fable Wright
2016-03-21, 03:57 PM
Moment of Blasphemy R
Enchantment - M
Flamestorm 4 (Whenever an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage, it deals 4 more damage)

Lifetime of Heresy (R)
Enchantment - M

Turn 1: Lava Spike
Turn 2: Searing Blaze
Turn 3: Moment of Blasphemy, Bolt, Bolt. Game 2?

Jormengand
2016-03-21, 04:36 PM
To pull off that combo, you're relying on 8 of the 9-10 cards you'll have got by turn 3 to be Moment of Blasphemy, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Lava Spike, Searing Blaze, Mountain, Mountain, Mountan. No-one complains that CotP into CotP CotP into something that lets you pay life repeatedly into GtT GtT is overpowered ("What, yes, yes I am swinging with three massive creatures on turn 4, why do you ask?) is overpowered, despite dealing a killing blow on turn 4, because it requires super specific cards. If you wanna risk not drawing that last bolt, or watching someone heroes' reunion their own face, and taking bolt to face every turn, be my guest.

Though I'll probably knock it down to flamestorm 3 anyway, but still.

Fable Wright
2016-03-21, 05:17 PM
To pull off that combo, you're relying on 8 of the 9-10 cards you'll have got by turn 3 to be Moment of Blasphemy, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Lava Spike, Searing Blaze, Mountain, Mountain, Mountan. No-one complains that CotP into CotP CotP into something that lets you pay life repeatedly into GtT GtT is overpowered ("What, yes, yes I am swinging with three massive creatures on turn 4, why do you ask?) is overpowered, despite dealing a killing blow on turn 4, because it requires super specific cards. If you wanna risk not drawing that last bolt, or watching someone heroes' reunion their own face, and taking bolt to face every turn, be my guest.

Though I'll probably knock it down to flamestorm 3 anyway, but still.

Sorry, that was the single worst hand I could think of off the top of my head that Burn could draw that turned Moment of Blasphemy into a win. Let's think about the other ways, shall we?

Turn 1: Monastery Swiftspear
Turn 2: Atarka's Command
Turn 3: Moment, Lava Spike, Lightning Bolt.

Turn 1: Goblin Guide
Turn 2: Suspend Rift Bolt
Turn 3: Moment, Shard Volley, Lava Spike.

Turn 1: Do nothing
Turn 2: Opponent cracked a fetch, otherwise nothing.
Turn 3: Moment, Bolt, Bolt, Gut Shot.

Turn 1: Do nothing
Turn 2: Do nothing
Turn 3: Moment, Bolt, Shard Volley, Gut Shot, Gut Shot.

Turn 1: Sleight of Hand
Turn 2: Manamorphose, Pyretic Ritual, Moment, Gitaxian Probe, Grapeshot.

Turn 1: Goblin Guide
Turn 2: Swiftspear, Lava Spike,
Turn 3: Moment, Bolt, Shard Volley.

That said, I'm not familiar with CotP or GtT. Also? This is a consistent turn 3 win in burn, and a consistent turn 2 win in Storm. Bannings happen when anything approaching that level of consistency pops up.

Misothene
2016-03-21, 06:24 PM
Mysterious Meteor 1UR
Sorcery- R
Mysterious Meteor deals 1 damage to target creature. If that creature dies this turn, return it to the battlefield, then put Mysterious Meteor from your graveyard onto the battlefield transformed and attached to that creature.
///////////////////////////
Unearthly Growth
Enchantment- Aura
(U/R) color indicator
You control enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1, has flying and is an Insect Horror in addition to its other types.

The Mighty Monarch 3WBR
Legendary Creature- Human Warrior R
As The Mighty Monarch enters the battlefield, choose the name of a creature or planeswalker an opponent controls.
As long as an opponent controls a permanent with the chosen name, The Mighty Monarch gets +1/+1, has haste and attacks each turn if able.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if an opponent doesn't control a permanent with the chosen name, transform the Mighty Monarch.
5/4
///////////////////////
The Blue Morpho
Legendary Creature- Human Assassin R
U/B color indicator
When this creature transforms into The Blue Morpho, put a 4/4 legendary white and black Human Warrior creature token named Kano onto the battlefield.
T: Destroy target creature or planeswalker that doesn't have the chosen name. If you do, its controller may put a card with the chosen name from his or her graveyard or hand onto the battlefield.
When a permanent with the chosen name enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, transform The Blue Morpho.
3/4

BasketOfPuppies
2016-03-21, 10:04 PM
((First submission to this thread-- I hope everything goes well))

Up-And-Coming Private 1W
Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance
When ~ attacks, flip it at end of combat.
He was recruited just last week, yet shows such promise.
1/1
[flipped]
Promising Sergeant
Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance, First Strike
When ~ attacks alongside 2 or more creatures, exile it and return it to the battlefield transformed at the end of combat.
We decided to promote him and see if his prowess extended to leadership skills as well.
2/2
////////////////////////
Astounding Corporal (color indicator: W)
Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance, First Strike
Other Soldier creatures you control get +1/+1.
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may flip it.
He's the youngest of his rank yet one of the most qualified.
3/3
[flipped]
Artorak, Legendary Captain
Legendary Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance, First Strike
Other Soldier creatures you control get +1/+1 and Vigilance.
Where did you find him? We must recruit there more often.
4/4

Ninjaman
2016-03-22, 05:04 AM
Moment of Blasphemy R
Enchantment - M
Flamestorm 3 (Whenever an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage, it deals 3 more damage)

Lifetime of Heresy (R)
Enchantment - M

As Fable Wright pointed out this card is ba-roken. It could say At the beginning of your end step, you lose the game, and it would still be overpowered, even with just two burn spells to follow it up it's 1 mana 6 burn.

Fable Wright
2016-03-22, 07:28 AM
Astounding Corporal
Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance, First Strike
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, flip it.
3/3

Two things to note: First, you really should add a 'you may' to this trigger, so that players are not forced to sacrifice their astonishingly good corporals to the Legendary rule if they do recruit there more often.

Second, there's a problem with the concept of having a flip on a double sided card: While a normal flip card will have the mana cost on it to tell you which side it starts on, the back has no such indicator. Consider limiting yourself to just three sides.

BasketOfPuppies
2016-03-22, 08:02 AM
Second, there's a problem with the concept of having a flip on a double sided card: While a normal flip card will have the mana cost on it to tell you which side it starts on, the back has no such indicator. Consider limiting yourself to just three sides.

Don't transforming cards have the sun/moon symbol in the upper left corner? Couldn't that be used to show which side is the correct one when it's transformed?

Fable Wright
2016-03-22, 08:10 AM
Don't transforming cards have the sun/moon symbol in the upper left corner? Couldn't that be used to show which side is the correct one when it's transformed?

You do have a point; it could be used as such, and the vigilance does cut down on the sideways confusion. It's still awkward to have both flip and DFCs in the same set, but in this case, I suppose it causes the least of all possible headaches.

Misothene
2016-03-22, 02:12 PM
((First submission to this thread-- I hope everything goes well))

Up-And-Coming Private 1W
Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance
When ~ attacks, flip it after combat.
1/1
[flipped]
Promising Sergeant
Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance, First Strike
When ~ attacks alongside 2 or more creatures, transform it after combat.
We decided to promote him and see if his prowess extended to leadership skills as well.
2/2
////////////////////////
Astounding Corporal
Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance, First Strike
3/3
[flipped]
Vigilance, First Strike
4/4

This card doesn't work as intended. "Flipped or unflipped" is a status a permanent has, and transforming doesn't change that status. As such, the Sergeant would go directly to the Captain, and if the Private transformed that would be the Corporal, but the Sergeant cannot become the Corporal.

BasketOfPuppies
2016-03-22, 02:31 PM
This card doesn't work as intended. "Flipped or unflipped" is a status a permanent has, and transforming doesn't change that status. As such, the Sergeant would go directly to the Captain, and if the Private transformed that would be the Corporal, but the Sergeant cannot become the Corporal.

So if I make it "transform and flip" would it work?

Misothene
2016-03-22, 04:30 PM
So if I make it "transform and flip" would it work?

Not quite:
"709.4. Flipping a permanent is a one-way process. Once a permanent is flipped, itís impossible for it to become unflipped. However, if a flipped permanent leaves the battlefield, it retains no memory of its status. See rule 110.6."

I think you could use the "exile ~, then return it to the battlefield transformed" text the Origins double-faced planeswalkers used.

Also, some of your triggers say "after combat," which isn't a specific time the game recognizes to trigger. I think you meant "at end of combat."

BasketOfPuppies
2016-03-22, 04:34 PM
Not quite:
"709.4. Flipping a permanent is a one-way process. Once a permanent is flipped, itís impossible for it to become unflipped. However, if a flipped permanent leaves the battlefield, it retains no memory of its status. See rule 110.6."

I think you could use the "exile ~, then return it to the battlefield transformed" text the Origins double-faced planeswalkers used.

Also, some of your triggers say "after combat," which isn't a specific time the game recognizes to trigger. I think you meant "at end of combat."

Thanks. I think I fixed it.

tgva8889
2016-03-22, 08:45 PM
Moment of Blastphemy was broken, but the reason that I think it was has more to do with Grapeshot than anything anyone else said.

LaZodiac
2016-03-22, 09:03 PM
Moonsilver Platemail 4
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +1+1 and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage, put a +1+1 on ~"
Whenever equipped creature dies, transform ~
Equip 4
Blessed by the Church...

//////

Blood Hungry Moon-Wraith (Colour Indicator B)
Artifact Creature - Knight Horror
First Strike, Lifelink.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage, put a +1+1 counter on it.
1/1
...corrupted by the Queen.

Ninjaman
2016-03-23, 03:43 AM
Moment of Blastphemy was broken, but the reason that I think it was has more to do with Grapeshot than anything anyone else said.

Grapeshot was mentioned too.

Ninjaman
2016-03-25, 04:30 AM
Ambitious Noble - WB
Creature - Human - R
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life. Then, if you control eight or more lands, transform Ambitious Noble.
0/1

Successful Lord
(B/W) Creature - Human - R
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a white 1/1 human token onto the battlefield for each land you control.
1/2

Beacon of Chaos
2016-03-25, 05:14 PM
Reckless Researcher 1U

Creature - Human Wizard - R

Level up 1U
1/1

Level 1-3
Flying
2/2

Level 4+
Flying
At end of turn, transform ~
4/4

/////

Warped Genius (blue/black colour indicator)

Creature - Mutant Wizard Horror - R

Level Up UB
Flying
5/5

Level 5-7
Flying
When ~ deals damage to a player, that player discards a card.
5/5

Level 8+
Flying, Protection from White and from Green
When ~ deals damage to a player, that player discards his or her hand.
8/8

tgva8889
2016-03-25, 08:27 PM
Desperate Tactics 2BR
Enchantment (R)
Attacking nontoken creatures you control get +3/+0 and have trample and "when this creature becomes blocked, sacrifice it at end of combat."
At the beginning of each end step, if either you or an opponent you attacked that turn control no creatures, transform Desperate Tactics.
In times of war, a general turns poor odds into victories.

////

Desolate Command
Land
T: Add C to your mana pool. Gain 1 life for each creature card in a graveyard.
At the beginning of each end step, if both you and an opponent control a creature, transform Desolate Command.
In times of peace, a general stands alone in the face of his dead.

Fable Wright
2016-03-25, 09:02 PM
Mizzium Golem {X}{U}{R}
Artifact CreatureóWeird Construct
As an additional cost to cast ~, exile X instant and/or sorcery cards from your graveyard. If X is 3 or greater, exile ~. Until end of turn, you may cast it transformed without paying its mana cost.

~ enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters for each instant and/or sorcery card exiled this way.
1/2
"Cleared up to 10,000 volts it says. Pah! More lightning, Fblthp!"
-Katazar, Izzet Weirdomancer

////

Mizzium Malfunction
Sorcery
When you cast ~, you may shuffle any number of exiled cards you own into your library. Copy ~ for each card shuffled into your library this way, then choose one:

~ deals 2 damage to target creature
Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand
Search your library for an Instant or Sorcery card and put it into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.

"Huh. So that's where the sixth grade science fair went."
óKatazar, Izzet Weirdomancer

BasketOfPuppies
2016-03-25, 09:41 PM
Desperate Tactics 2BR
Enchantment (R)
Attacking creatures you control get +2/+0 and have trample, haste and "when this creature becomes blocked, sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step."
*snip*

I think that you may want to reword this, for something must tap to be considered attacking, but they wouldn't get haste until they tap, if that makes sense.

r2d2go
2016-03-27, 07:50 AM
Mischievous Trainee UR
Creature - Human Wizard U
~ can't be blocked.
Whenever ~ becomes targeted, untap it, then transform it.
He was removed from Izzet schooling...
1/1

Volt Switcher
Creature - Human Spellshaper U
UR, T, Discard a card - Choose new targets for target spell or ability.
At the end of each turn, transform ~.
...in favor of immediate promotion.
2/2

I switched a lot between 1UR vs UR, 2/2 vs 1/1 vs 2/1, and rare vs uncommon. I eventually settled on this because I think the instant-speed mechanics (the basic psuedo-hexproof of transforming then redirecting, and casting instants after blockers are declared, in particular) while potentially rare-complexity, are showcased in relatively intuitive way here, and are most likely to see use in Limited. The 1/1 into 2/2 at UR was developed to fit the general theme of transform making things stronger, as well as balancing it (trying to make it worse in general than Invisible Stalker, while adding potential for unblockable-clock acceleration and interesting combos).

I think that you may want to reword this, for something must tap to be considered attacking, but they wouldn't get haste until they tap, if that makes sense.

Perhaps another way to say this is: If your creatures are already attacking, they probably don't need haste. There are some corner cases where that's not true (creatures entering the battlefield attacking and being untapped, then tapped for an effect), but for the most part, you want Haste to be given before combat.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-03-27, 08:15 AM
"At the beginning of combat on your turn", perhaps?

BasketOfPuppies
2016-03-27, 08:20 AM
"At the beginning of combat on your turn", perhaps?

That'd probably work.

Misothene
2016-03-27, 12:08 PM
Mizzium Golem {X}{U}{R}
As an additional cost to cast ~, exile X instant and/or sorcery cards from your graveyard. If X is 3 or greater, transform ~.
Otherwise, ~ enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters equal to twice the number of cards exiled this way.
1/2

////

Mizzium Malfunction
Sorcery
Shuffle an exiled card you own into your library, then choose one:

Search your library for an Instant or Sorcery card and put it into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.

Repeat this process any number of times.

1. I don't think the back face works as intended without an "If you do" clause before "choose one." As it is now, you get to kill or bounce all their creatures and nonlands, then fill your graveyard with whatever instants and sorceries you want, for 2 mana...
2. ... that is, assuming transforming before entering the stack works, which I'm not sure it does, since all DFCs go onto the stack as their front face. "Transforming" is also only a thing permanents can do (yes, a sorcery can enter the battlefield "transformed" if there's a permanent on the other side, but it never actually took the action "transform" to do so).

Fable Wright
2016-03-27, 12:37 PM
1. I don't think the back face works as intended without an "If you do" clause before "choose one." As it is now, you get to kill or bounce all their creatures and nonlands, then fill your graveyard with whatever instants and sorceries you want, for 2 mana...
2. ... that is, assuming transforming before entering the stack works, which I'm not sure it does, since all DFCs go onto the stack as their front face. "Transforming" is also only a thing permanents can do (yes, a sorcery can enter the battlefield "transformed" if there's a permanent on the other side, but it never actually took the action "transform" to do so).

1. Fixed; thanks for the catch.
2. The goal of the card is to experiment with DFCs changing on the stack as part of resolution, so I can't do much about that.

Misothene
2016-03-27, 03:32 PM
1. Fixed; thanks for the catch.
2. The goal of the card is to experiment with DFCs changing on the stack as part of resolution, so I can't do much about that.

As part of the resolution? That wouldn't work, since you have to choose targets before the sorcery is on the stack. It would have to transform while being cast- and I'm not really sure that's something the rules can handle. Assuming that the rules could change such that that's a thing- which could be possible, though I'm not sure exactly what changes would be needed- it would become much easier if it never needed to target anything, though that would make the card more powerful.

That also raises something I didn't think of before. The sorcery part only chooses one "target," and repeating the process on resolution wouldn't actually give additional targets. So while it could stack up loads of damage on something, bounce something else, and put a bunch of instants/sorceries in your graveyard, it could only choose one thing to damage and one thing to bounce. Removing targeting restrictions would make it more flexible, if the intention was to spread damage/bounce around (but would get around hexproof, and for the bounce part, protection).

It might be easier to template under current rules if the sorcery were the front face and the creature were on the back? It would take a lot of rewriting to have the same function, in this case.

Fable Wright
2016-03-27, 03:51 PM
As part of the resolution? That wouldn't work, since you have to choose targets before the sorcery is on the stack. It would have to transform while being cast- and I'm not really sure that's something the rules can handle.

Handling it like Cascade now, with a trigger upon being cast. Not 100% it works within the rules, but I think this gets around targeting issues.

Blue Ghost
2016-03-27, 09:03 PM
The time for judgment is now!

Halana and Alena, Kessig Rangers-2RG

Legendary Creature-Human Archer Werewolf-R

R, T: ~ deals two damage to target creature or player

At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform ~

It would be pure cruelty to tear you apart...

3/3

Halana and Alena, Wantons-{RG}

Legendary Creature-Werewolf-R

Trample

Other non-Human Werewolves you control have +1/+1, Trample, and cannot transform

At the beginning of each upkeep, if two or more spells were cast last turn, transform ~

...So you both shall share in our curse

6/6
Pinging for 2 a turn, and being able to hit both creatures and players, is really strong. I'm not sure if it's too strong to print, but it is a red flag. The back side is a pretty generic werewolf lord. It's serviceable, but it lacks any mechanical ties between the two sides, and doesn't really capture the flavor of the badass werewolf hunter duo transformed into werewolves. It's fine, but lacks creativity.

Fallen of the Void 2UB
Creature - Angel R
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player puts the top 3 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. Then, if you have 15 or more cards in your graveyard, transform Fallen of the Void.
3/3

//

Risen of the Void (W)
Creature - Angel
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put target card in your graveyard on top of your library.
5/5
The front side is fairly powerful, and feeds into its own transform condition, which is not easy to achieve but certainly doable, especially if you build your deck around it. As a reward, you get exceptionally powerful card selection and a 5/5 flying beater while remaining realistically beatable. The symmetry between the front and back faces, with putting cards into your graveyard and getting them out again, is especially beautiful. I really like this card. The only real complaint I have is regarding the flavor. I feel like this mechanic has the potentially to be really flavorful, but I'm only getting a very vague sense of the flavor of your card. Some flavor text and more evocative names would do wonders.

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing 1W
Creature - Wolf C
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life.
At the end of each turn, if you gained 2 or more life, transform Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
0/2
//
Unveiled Predator
Creature - Wolf
(Color Indicator: Black-Green)
Menace
4/3
Your updated version is much better than your previous version, and captures the flavor of the wolf in sheep's clothing so much better. It starts off as a sheep, and behaves as you would expect a sheep to behave, and at the right time reveals itself as a menacing predator. There's beauty in the simplicity of the back side being a 4/3 menace, a real threat without frills. I think it'll be better off at uncommon; it is rather more complex and game-warping than I would like for a common card. I find it amusing that having two of them out will trigger each other's transformations.

Necronomicon Scholar 1(U/B)
Creature - Human Wizard (R)
1(U/B),T: Draw a card if U was spent to activate this ability. Regenerate ~ if B was spent to activate this ability. (Do both if UB was spent.)
Discard seven cards: Transform ~.
2/2

//

Lorekeeper Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard (R)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, you may have target player draw a card.
When ~ dies, you may return a card from your hand on top of your library. If you do, return it from its owner's graveyard onto the battlefield transformed at the beginning of the next end step.
4/4
Blue does not get 2/2s for 2. I'm not sure how I feel about the hybrid activated ability; it seems rather unnecessarily complex when you could split it into two separate abilities or merge the sides into one. And this distinctly feels like a gold card, not a hybrid one. Discarding seven cards is a massive cost, but one that's payable in the early game; that would make this very swingy as you either take over the game with an undercosted draw engine, or get answered immediately and are left without a hand. That being said, I really like the back side; it would be quite awesome as a standalone card.

Face of Mockery 3BU
Enchantment R
Prevent the first 2 points of damage creatures your opponents control would deal to creatures you control
T: Target creature an opponent controls must attack this turn if able.
When a creature you control dies, transform Face of Mockery.

//

Face of Mourning
Enchantment
Creatures your opponents control take 2 more points of damage from creatures you control
T: Target creature an opponent controls must block this turn if able.
When a creature an opponent controls dies, transform Face of Mourning.
Damage prevention is white, forcing attacks is red, damage increase is red, and forcing blocks is green. So your card has effects in every color except the two colors it actually is. The damage prevention clause seems to raise more rules questions than would be worth it. Also, it is a cardinal design rule that enchantments never tap; that's for creatures and artifacts only. I do quite like the flavor, and it seems like it would play interestingly as well. Just needs some polish.

Moment of Blasphemy R
Enchantment - M

Lifetime of Heresy (R)
Enchantment - M
Fable Wright has pointed out how easy it is to get a turn 3 kill with this in modern. While it won't be quite as degenerate in standard, just getting two burn spells off with this in play will make this far above acceptable power level, and assembling two burn spells in any format is trivial. This ends the game far too easily, and in a really uninteractive way. The back side doesn't add much to the card beyond just pointing out that you should use this to end the game; after playing this, the game will be over the vast majority of the time. Flamestorm seems too narrow to make a keyword mechanic; having a critical mass of cards with this ability in a format seems like it'll lead to some very degenerate situations.

Mysterious Meteor 1UR
Sorcery- R
Mysterious Meteor deals 1 damage to target creature. If that creature dies this turn, return it to the battlefield, then put Mysterious Meteor from your graveyard onto the battlefield transformed and attached to that creature.
///////////////////////////
Unearthly Growth
Enchantment- Aura
(U/R) color indicator
You control enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1, has flying and is an Insect Horror in addition to its other types.

The flavor is certainly there. A meteor carrying some kind of alien parasite that latches onto someone and turns them into a bug monster. Mechanics-wise, this is really narrow and swingy. It basically only works on 1-toughness creatures, and the reward you get is far beyond what should be able to get for 3 mana. It's useless the majority of the time and overpowered the rest of the time, which isn't a good dynamic.

Up-And-Coming Private 1W
Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance
When ~ attacks, flip it at end of combat.
1/1
[flipped]
Promising Sergeant
Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance, First Strike
When ~ attacks alongside 2 or more creatures, exile it and return it to the battlefield transformed at the end of combat.
2/2
////////////////////////
Astounding Corporal (color indicator: W)
Creature- Soldier R
Vigilance, First Strike
3/3
[flipped]
Vigilance, First Strike
4/4
Combining flip cards and double-faced cards is a thing you could do, but I don't really see why you would want to. It feels like doing something just for the sake of doing it, which usually doesn't make for good design. Flip cards had major aesthetic and practical issues (tiny text boxes, no room for flavor text, no room for proper art, difficulty in telling which side is up while tapped), which double-faced cards solved, so I don't see the reason to bring back an inferior mechanic along with its superior replacement. I do like the sense of progression on the card, but I don't like that every flip and transform condition is different. It's going to be a real headache keeping track of what the next condition is supposed to be.

Moonsilver Platemail 4
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +1+1 and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage, put a +1+1 on ~"
Whenever equipped creature dies, transform ~
Equip 4
Blessed by the Church...

//////

Blood Hungry Moon-Wraith (Colour Indicator B)
Artifact Creature - Knight Horror
First Strike, Lifelink.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage, put a +1+1 counter on it.
1/1
...corrupted by the Queen.
I really like the flavor here; a suit of armor that becomes haunted by its wearer's spirit and becomes a vengeful animated horror, that's really cool. And I like the mechanical shell you have: the transform condition of when the equipped creature dies, and the transformed creature having the same ability it granted as an equipment. Unfortunately, the numbers don't quite bear up. 4 to cost and 4 to equip is really expensive for an equipment, and the granted benefit is too small to be worth it, even if it doesn't require hitting a player. And after paying 8 mana and getting your creature killed, you get a 1/1, which starts out too far behind to be relevant in the late game. Tweak the numbers, and you'd have a solid card. I also find the choice of ability granted odd; the +1/+1 counters on damage is associated with vampires, and while I could see it granted by a bloodthirsty sword or something, I don't see what connection it has to a blessed suit of armor.

Ambitious Noble - WB
Creature - Human - R
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life. Then, if you control eight or more lands, transform Ambitious Noble.
0/1

Successful Lord
(B/W) Creature - Human - R
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a white 1/1 human token onto the battlefield for each land you control.
1/2
We have here a land-grabbing nobleman who eventually becomes a lord and raises a huge army. The front side is good for draining some life, but its being useless in combat makes it quite underpowered prior to transforming. After transforming, it can generate you a ridiculous number of tokens. I suppose an answer-me-or-die card is fine on turn 8, even if it only costs 2 mana. My main complaint with this card is the power/toughness. I don't like creatures that have stats way below curve for their casting cost. Even if their abilities make up for it, the low stats make it read badly. Having the ability to get into combat provides more options, and it's seldom gamebreaking to give a utility creature a semi-decent body. This needs a decent body (say, 2/2) on the front side to be worth playing prior to turn 8, and having some power (say, 4/4) on the back side will make it seem more imposing without breaking it.

Reckless Researcher 1U

Creature - Human Wizard - R

Level up 1U
1/1

Level 1-3
Flying
2/2

Level 4+
Flying
At end of turn, transform ~
4/4

/////

Warped Genius (blue/black colour indicator)

Creature - Mutant Wizard Horror - R

Level Up UB
Flying
5/5

Level 5-7
Flying
When ~ deals damage to a player, that player discards a card.
5/5

Level 8+
Flying, Protection from White and from Green
When ~ deals damage to a player, that player discards his or her hand.
8/8
Combining level up with transforming is an interesting idea. Level up doesn't have as many issues as flip, so it is a better choice. But what does combining the two bring to the table that either can't do alone? Level up is good for conveying a slow progression, while transform is good for conveying a radical metamorphosis. The two can certainly be combined, but I only see the former here. It seems that all you're using the backside for is more levels to put on the card; it's still fundamentally the same creature, going along the same progression as the front side. The flavor here is a wizard that slowly transforms himself into a monster, but three levels would be more than sufficient to convey that flavor. Adding more levels doesn't really add to the flavor, and I feel it's a waste of a back face.

Desperate Tactics 2BR
Enchantment (R)
Attacking nontoken creatures you control get +3/+0 and have trample and "when this creature becomes blocked, sacrifice it at end of combat."
At the beginning of each end step, if either you or an opponent you attacked that turn control no creatures, transform Desperate Tactics.
In times of war, a general turns poor odds into victories.

////

Desolate Command
Land
T: Add C to your mana pool. Gain 1 life for each creature card in a graveyard.
At the beginning of each end step, if both you and an opponent control a creature, transform Desolate Command.
In times of peace, a general stands alone in the face of his dead.I'm trying to imagine how this would play out. You drop Desperate Tactics, giving you an alpha strike which most likely ends the game. If it doesn't, likely everything dies, and get a land that gains you a bunch of life for some reason. Then both sides rebuild, and Desperate Tactics transforms back and lets you alpha strike again. I'm not exactly seeing what the back side is supposed to contribute to the card. People are generally not going to use Desperate Tactics unless they can end the game with it. The only thing I see the back side being used for is to gain a bunch of life by playing it and transforming without attacking, which isn't really what you're going for thematically.

Mizzium Golem {X}{U}{R}
As an additional cost to cast ~, exile X instant and/or sorcery cards from your graveyard. If X is 3 or greater, exile ~. Until end of turn, you may cast it transformed without paying its mana cost.

~ enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters for each instant and/or sorcery card exiled this way.
1/2

////

Mizzium Malfunction
Sorcery
When you cast ~, you may shuffle any number of exiled cards you own into your library. Copy ~ for each card shuffled into your library this way, then choose one:

A creature that transforms into a sorcery while on the stack is a bold move. But I think you fell into a common trap that's especially prevalent with double-faced design: The card is trying to do too much. While all the pieces of the card are trying to add to the story, they all do so in different ways, resulting in a card that lacks cohesion. The modality of the back side adds a huge amount of complexity to an already complex card for little gain, and reducing it to a single option would do wonders for elegance, but even then it would probably stand to be trimmed down more.

Mischievous Trainee UR
Creature - Human Wizard U
~ can't be blocked.
Whenever ~ becomes targeted, untap it, then transform it.
He was removed from Izzet schooling...
1/1

Volt Switcher
Creature - Human Spellshaper U
UR, T, Discard a card - Choose new targets for target spell or ability.
At the end of each turn, transform ~.
...in favor of immediate promotion.
2/2
I'm not really seeing the point of this being double faced. It gets targeted, you untap it and transform it, getting the ability to redirect something, but then it gets tapped so it can't fight on the back side, and it transform back at the end of turn anyway. How's that different than just putting the redirect ability on the front side? There's no compelling story being told here by the double-faced aspect either.
Runner-up goes to Dr. Gunsforhands, with Risen / Fallen of the Void! It's a great card with an excellent investment/reward ratio and symmetry between the front and back faces. It came very close to winning; all it needed was a bit more evocative flavor.

And first place goes to...
mystic1110, with Wolf in Sheep's Clothing / Unveiled Predator! It's an elegant and evocative card that tells a story without going overboard in trying to be cool or groundbreaking. Most of the time, the simple designs are the best.

Jormengand
2016-03-28, 07:08 AM
I haven't a clue how you somehow managed to quote the unedited version of my card.

r2d2go
2016-03-28, 12:23 PM
I haven't a clue how you somehow managed to quote the unedited version of my card.

Maybe by quoting a quote instead of your post?

In any case, congratulations to Mystic!

Jormengand
2016-03-28, 12:28 PM
Maybe by quoting a quote instead of your post?

In any case, congratulations to Mystic!

Only, you can't do that, because the quote disappears when you enter the new reply page.

Blue Ghost
2016-03-28, 03:32 PM

Oh, sorry about that. I sometimes write responses to entries as they come in. I go back and check them, but I must have missed your change to the casting cost.

Your card is more balanced at 2R, but most of my critique still stands.

mystic1110
2016-03-28, 04:23 PM
Thanks Blue Ghost! Yeah I updated it when i realized the flip side was WAY to complex.

Anyway new contest: Make a Non-Rare card with a CMC of 1.

Ionbound
2016-03-28, 04:32 PM
Cathar's Hope (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz82xbLvK_k)-W

Instant-U

Creature Tokens you control gain +1/+1 and Vigilance until the end of the turn

Avacyn may be dead, but that which she represented will never fade. Our hope still holds true power. ~Thalia, Cathar-General

braveheart
2016-03-28, 04:34 PM
Useful Adaptation G
Enchantment - Aura - U
Enchant target creature
Enchanted creature gains Evolve, and "remove a +1/+1 counter: add G to your mana pool"
(Simic watermark)

Jormengand
2016-03-28, 04:54 PM
Mythic is nonrare, right? :smalltongue:

Lord of the Five 1
Legendary Creature - Avatar Wizard M
Lord of the Five is all colours.
Indestructible
As an additional cost to cast Lord of the Five, sacrifice a plains, an island, a swamp, a mountain and a forest.
For each colour among other permanents you control, creatures you control have +1/+1 and protection from that colour. (Colourless isn't a colour)
0/0

Sgt. Cookie
2016-03-28, 05:29 PM
X is considered 0 for CMC, yeah? :smallbiggrin:

Quick note: It was Eldrazi SPAWN I was thinking of when I made this the first time. I knew that there were 0/1 variants of those critters.

Spawn Pile XXC
Creature - Eldrazi Spawn U
Defender
Spawn Pile enters play with X spawn counters.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spawn counter on Spawn Pile.
T: Remove two spawn counters from Spawn Pile: Place a 0/1 Eldrazi Spawn creature token onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this creature, add C to your mana pool."
Sacrifice Spawn Pile, add X colourless mana to your mana pool where X is the number of spawn counters on Spawn Pile.
Spawn Pile's toughness is equal to the number of spawn counters on it.
0/*

Spawn Pile XXC
Creature - Eldrazi Scion U
T: Remove two spawn counters from Spawn Pile: Place a 1/1 Eldrazi Scion creature token onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this creature, add C to your mana pool."
Sacrifice Spawn Pile, add X colourless mana to your mana pool where X is the number of spawn counters on Spawn Pile.
Spawn Pile's power and toughness are equal to the number of spawn counters on it.
*/*

BasketOfPuppies
2016-03-28, 05:35 PM
Taking inspiration from some of the posters above me:

Loophole R
Instant- U
Change all instances of do to don't and/or don't to do in the text of the next instant or sorcery spell that you cast this turn.
I don't think he read that quite correctly, but it works anyways.
((Izzet watermark, silver border))

Ionbound
2016-03-28, 05:37 PM

Loophole R
Instant- U
Change all instances of do to don't and/or don't to do in the text of the next instant or sorcery spell that you cast this turn.
((Izzet watermark))

Dang. Can I just say, I love this design? It's amazing.

BasketOfPuppies
2016-03-28, 05:42 PM
Dang. Can I just say, I love this design? It's amazing.

You can. I'm flattered.

LaZodiac
2016-03-28, 06:38 PM
Mass-Produced Automata 1
Artifact Creature - Construct (C)
A deck can have any number of cards named Mass-Produced Automata
Whenever an artifact creature enters the battlefield you may sacrifice ~. If you do, put a +1+1 counter on that creature.
1/1
Always keep spare parts on hand.

ben-zayb
2016-03-28, 07:35 PM
Weird comment on the non-existence of 2-drop 2/2 blue, since there's around 40+ of them, 15+ being wizards.

Bottleneck U
Instant (U)
Spells cost (2/U) more to cast until end of turn.

Bloodpact Shade B
Creature - Shade U
B: ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever ~ attacks, sacrifice a creature if any player has a life total more than 10.
1/1

Misothene
2016-03-28, 08:17 PM
Weird comment on the non-existence of 2-drop 2/2 blue, since there's around 40+ of them, 15+ being wizards.

For the record, this is misleading; of those "40+," none of them are a 2/2 for 1U without a drawback. They all either have drawbacks, cost UU, or are multicolor.

ben-zayb
2016-03-28, 08:45 PM
For the record, this is misleading; of those "40+," none of them are a 2/2 for 1U without a drawback. They all either have drawbacks, cost UU, or are multicolor.Doesn't make my statement any less true, since the original statement I was responding to was an explicit "Blue does not get 2/2s for 2". Nowhere did I mention that such cards have to cost exactly the same as my card (1U), because that criticism will not be something that I'll object to.

LaZodiac
2016-03-28, 09:02 PM
Doesn't make my statement any less true, since the original statement I was responding to was an explicit "Blue does not get 2/2s for 2". Nowhere did I mention that such cards have to cost exactly the same as my card (1U), because that criticism will not be something that I'll object to.

A clarification would probably read as "Blue shouldn't get 2/2s for 2 without a downside of some sort, or without you jumping through hoops" because Blue's not really meant to have creatures like that, colour pie wise. It'd be like having a cheap fatty (like, a 5/5) in Red without a downside, or those really strong 4 mana flyers in Black that have a downside. Black shouldn't get a 4 mana flying beatstick without some kind of reasonable downside.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-03-28, 10:57 PM
I like how Loophole is a total nonbo with every Izzet card but these three (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&name=|[%22pact%20of%20the%20titan%22]|[%22pact%20of%20negation%22]|[%22transmute%20artifact%22]). :smalltongue:

Anonymous Tip - (silver border) U
Instant - C
Don't name a card. If you do, then dude! Come on! What did I just tell you? Otherwise, draw a card.

tgva8889
2016-03-28, 11:50 PM
Mythic is nonrare, right? :smalltongue:

No, I'm pretty sure the rarity "Mythic Rare" is not non-rare. :smalltongue:

Blue Ghost
2016-03-29, 12:19 AM
Doesn't make my statement any less true, since the original statement I was responding to was an explicit "Blue does not get 2/2s for 2". Nowhere did I mention that such cards have to cost exactly the same as my card (1U), because that criticism will not be something that I'll object to.

Okay, that is literally true, but I thought that what I meant would be clear from context.

r2d2go
2016-03-29, 01:02 AM
Izzet Token 1
Artifact - U
Kicker 1U and/or 2R
When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was kicked with its 1U kicker, return target creature to its owner's hand. If it was kicked with its 2R kicker, deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
(U/R), Sacrifice ~: Draw a card.

Blue Ghost
2016-03-29, 01:35 AM

Loophole R
Instant- U
((Izzet watermark))

How does this interact with Nightsnare (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=398562)? Channel (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=382882)? Kindle the Carnage (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=107446)? To name a few arbitrary cards.

Misothene
2016-03-29, 01:39 AM

Loophole R
Instant- U
((Izzet watermark))

This card couldn't actually be printed outside of an Un-set. The reason they usually avoid playing around with changing words (with very few exceptions, and when they do, it's complicated) is that the cards have to function the same in all languages. This card does not.
As an example, take Blustersquall:
"Tap target creature you don't control."
In the English printing, there's a "don't" we can change to a "do," because we really need to tap our own creature for some reason (and with overload, we could tap them all! Brilliant!). But what about the German printing?:
"Tappe eine Kreatur deiner Wahl, die du nicht kontrollierst."
These are exactly the same mechanically, the way they translate the cards. In a literal translation, though, the German says this:
"Tap a creature of your choice, that you control not."
It never contains "do," "don't," or any variation of the verb "to do" (machen, in German).

tgva8889
2016-03-29, 01:48 AM
Misothene, by that argument you have to consider cards which reference "target" which technically by that understanding of the German is also not a word that appears on that card. And those cards actually do exist in black-bordered Magic.

LaZodiac
2016-03-29, 02:02 AM
Misothene, by that argument you have to consider cards which reference "target" which technically by that understanding of the German is also not a word that appears on that card. And those cards actually do exist in black-bordered Magic.

While I believe you could easily just have it translated as "if the card says not, remove the not." or something, based on his explanation of German language cards, I also feel that while as evocative a design it's not really that feasible.

Misothene
2016-03-29, 02:07 AM

I don't think that's true. "Eine Kreatur deiner Wahl" is just how "target creature" is translated, because they couldn't come up with another way to convey the way they're using the word "target." When German calls for "choose a creature," it would say "Bestimme eine Kreatur."

When they made overload, they did have to think of ways to replace "target" with "each" even though the word "target" isn't used in some translations, but they do have a consistent set of phrases they use to MEAN "target creature/player/permanent" and keep it mechanically different from "choose." The case of "do" and "don't" doesn't only appear in a few mechanically significant phrases.

Jormengand
2016-03-29, 08:36 AM
No, I'm pretty sure the rarity "Mythic Rare" is not non-rare. :smalltongue:

Despite the name, Mythic Rare and Rare are two separate rarities. Rarity Matters cards such as rare-b-gone (obviously there are no black-bordered examples) wouldn't affect mythics. I mean, if the judge decides that no, MR cards aren't allowed for this, then fine.

Ninjaman
2016-03-29, 09:23 AM
Katuun Knife Thrower - R
Creature - Human Rogue - U
When Katuun Knife Thrower enters the battlefield, you may have it deal 2 damage to target creature or player.
0/1

BasketOfPuppies
2016-03-29, 11:17 AM
Having taken all of what y'all have to say into consideration, it seems that Loophole would be best with a silver border. I'll update it.

- - - Updated - - -

Katuun Knife Thrower - R
When Katuun Knife Thrower enters the battlefield, you may have it deal 2 damage to target creature or player.
1/1

So this is just a shock with a 1/1 body? Seems a little powerful. I get the connection to Throwing Knife (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=throwing+knife), but you might want to make it deal 1 damage instead.

EDIT: either way, it's just a better Forge Devil (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383245).

mystic1110
2016-03-29, 02:15 PM
I honestly forgot that Mythic Rares aren't rares per se, so I'm going to allow it. I think making a good one mana mythic is just as tricky as making a good one mana common/uncommon :smallsmile:

Edit: and yes I meant converted mana cost so X is essentially 0. Feel free to make as many hydras as you want.

Ninjaman
2016-03-30, 05:17 AM
So this is just a shock with a 1/1 body? Seems a little powerful. I get the connection to Throwing Knife (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=throwing+knife), but you might want to make it deal 1 damage instead.

EDIT: either way, it's just a better Forge Devil (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383245).

It is a lot better than forge devil, but forge devil is a pretty bad card.
It definitely could still be card giving only 1 damage, but I wanted it to be a good card, it's probably more likely that I will change it to a 0/1.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-04-01, 12:00 AM
Making a better entry now:

Dirty Rat B
Creature - Rat C
When Dirty Rat enters the battlefield, each player discards a card.
Nyeh, see?
1/2

Blue Ghost
2016-04-01, 12:13 AM
Sepulchral Boon G
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each card type in all graveyards.

tgva8889
2016-04-01, 06:55 PM
Rotting Hydra (G/B)
Creature - Zombie Hydra (MR)
As an additional cost to cast Rotting Hydra, put the top 4 cards of your library into your graveyard.
Rotting Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
If a source would deal damage to Rotting Hydra, instead remove that many +1/+1 counters from it.
Exile three creature cards in your graveyard: Return Rotting Hydra to its owner's hand.
0/0

Blue Ghost
2016-04-02, 01:30 AM
Rotting Hydra (G/B)
As an additional cost to cast Rotting Hydra, put the top 4 cards of your library into your graveyard.
Rotting Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
Sources deal damage to Rotting Hydra as if they had Wither.
Exile three creature cards in your graveyard: Return Rotting Hydra to its owner's hand.
0/0

Referencing wither would entail that the set uses -1/-1 counters, which are not mixed with +1/+1 counters for very good reasons. I'd suggest amending it to Protean Hydra (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=205112)'s ability.

mystic1110
2016-04-05, 10:04 AM
Will have judging up by tomorrow night :smallsmile:, sorry for the slight delay.

mystic1110
2016-04-06, 05:01 PM
Rotting Hydra (G/B)
If a source would deal damage to Rotting Hydra, instead remove that many +1/+1 counters from it.
0/0

There seems to be too many abilities here. For example Ė if it came without the exile clause which only serves as an unneeded self-protection method, you could have saved some space. Additionally, this card is pretty strong. Itís a phantom card Ė so any aura makes it basically indestructible, and itís a phantom that if you build the deck right will come out as a 2/2 for 1 pretty much always at the very least, plus if you hold it back a few turns its even bigger. Not only that it has the self-protection clause. Even though it would shrink if you play it again, that is still too many good things for so little.

[
Sepulchral Boon G
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each card type in all graveyards.This makes any creature a tarmogoyf for the low low cost of G. Seeing as goyf is regularly a 4/5, this means this is a +4/+4 for G usually. Even if it would be +3/+3, that is still too strong. That said I do like the simplicity of it and if it cost more, it would have been a great uncommon.

Making a better entry now:

Dirty Rat B
Creature - Rat C
When Dirty Rat enters the battlefield, each player discards a card.
Nyeh, see?
1/2

Comparing to Sibsig Icebreakers, this seems fine. . . although black doesnít get such stats at common. (but I guess keeper of the lens makes such arguments moot). However, compare to Rotting rats. . . I am not sure that losing Unearth, decreases mana cost and increases toughness. You probably could have just made this 1/1, and be perfectly fine with it. But then again, keeper of the lens and all that this seems perfectly balanced.

Katuun Knife Thrower - R
0/1Too strong. Way too strong. I know it has no power Ė but this is a sorcery shock with a creature that can block and carry equipment or auras attached. Compare to Sparkmage Apprentice. You canít lose one power, go up in damage and have it cost one cheaper. I know that is a common and this is an uncommon, but I donít think that forgives how much better this is.

Izzet Token 1
Artifact - U
Kicker 1U and/or 2R
When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was kicked with its 1U kicker, return target creature to its owner's hand. If it was kicked with its 2R kicker, deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
(U/R), Sacrifice ~: Draw a card.This is quite the interesting card. I like it. It is however scary good removal 3R sorcery to deal 3 damage to a creature, has a chance for a 2 for 1, and can then later draw you a card. Additionally since this was U/R instead of a sac cantrip, it should have been a sac loot?

Bloodpact Shade B
Creature - Shade U
B: ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever ~ attacks, sacrifice a creature if any player has a life total more than 10.
1/1 In effect this is a Shade that canít attack unless an opponent has 10 life or less. Compare to Slithering Shade. This card seems better as itís condition is a lot easier to achieve than hellbent, and it has 1 extra point of toughness. That said, I still think itís a good card since the condition isnít that easy to achieve, and slithering shade shows a 1 mana 1/1 shade with defender isnít insanity

Mass-Produced Automata 1
Artifact Creature - Construct (C)
A deck can have any number of cards named Mass-Produced Automata
Whenever an artifact creature enters the battlefield you may sacrifice ~. If you do, put a +1+1 counter on that creature.
1/1
Always keep spare parts on hand. Outside combining this with Thrumming Stone. . . I donít see the use of this card. I mean I guess you can cast them and then sac them when you play another one to go verticle, but the total P/T on the board will be the same. The other cards with this ability did something interesting with it Ė either growing with each new one or sacing each other to get demons. This doesnít do much.

Loophole R
Instant- U
((Izzet watermark, silver border))As a silver bordered card this is brilliant! I donít really know how to judge silver cards, especially compared to non-silerborded cards, but I really like it for what it is.

Spawn Pile XXC
Creature - Eldrazi Spawn U
Defender
T: Remove two spawn counters from Spawn Pile: Place a 0/1 Eldrazi Spawn creature token onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this creature, add C to your mana pool."
Spawn Pile's toughness is equal to the number of spawn counters on it.
0/*

WAY tooo much text. Especially as an Uncommon. You could have tried any single one of your ideas Ė X mana card that comes into play with X charge counters which removes counters to make tokens. . . . or sacs for X mana. . . or X mana with X toughness, but I donít think you an have an uncommon card that tries to do all of it.

Lord of the Five 1
Legendary Creature - Avatar Wizard M
Lord of the Five is all colours.
Indestructible
As an additional cost to cast Lord of the Five, sacrifice a plains, an island, a swamp, a mountain and a forest.
For each colour among other permanents you control, creatures you control have +1/+1 and protection from that colour. (Colourless isn't a colour)
0/0 The last ability can just read +5/+5 and protection from all colors since the lord is all the colors anyway. I guess painter can maybe make a difference in the wording. That said . . . well once you have domain and cast this you win. This gives all your creatures +5/+5, and protection from every color. It is also indestructible. Outside all is dust I donít know what is commonly played that can take this out (maybe counsel in legacy?).

[QUOTE] Useful Adaptation G
Enchantment - Aura - U
Enchant target creature
Enchanted creature gains Evolve, and "remove a +1/+1 counter: add G to your mana pool"
(Simic watermark)

This card is brilliant. Iíve been trying to figure out a way to abuse it, but havenít come up with anything yet. Love it, well done.

Cathar's Hope-W

Instant-U

Creature Tokens you control gain +1/+1 and Vigilance until the end of the turn

Avacyn may be dead, but that which she represented will never fade. Our hope still holds true power. ~Thalia, Cathar-GeneralThisis a great uncommon, very set specific, but thatís allowable.

BasketOfPuppies
R2d2go
Firedaemon33
Braveheart

braveheart
2016-04-07, 01:25 AM
Oh wow, I guess I'm supposed to make a challenge now.
Make a spell that has a built in way to reduce its casting cost

Jormengand
2016-04-08, 04:38 AM
The last ability can just read +5/+5 and protection from all colors since the lord is all the colors anyway. I guess painter can maybe make a difference in the wording. That said . . . well once you have domain and cast this you win. This gives all your creatures +5/+5, and protection from every color. It is also indestructible. Outside all is dust I donít know what is commonly played that can take this out (maybe counsel in legacy?).

One word: "Other".

mystic1110
2016-04-08, 10:53 AM
One word: "Other".

My apologies! Totally missed that word for some reason. :smallfrown:

Sgt. Cookie
2016-04-08, 11:42 AM
Twister of Strength 6B
Creature - Eldrazi Drone U
Devoid (This card has no colour)
While casting this spell, you may place a +1/+1 counter on up to six target creatures you don't control. Each token placed pays for 1 of this card's mana cost.
Whenever Twister of Strength blocks or is blocked by a creature with +1/+1 counters, it gains -2/-2 until end of turn for each counter. (Apply the penalty before either side assigns damage)
All the strength the Zendikari could muster meant nothing before it.
3/3

To be clear, the blocking/blocked creature gets -2/-2, not Twister of Strength.

Twister of Strength 6U
When you play Twister of Strength, you may place a +1/+1 counter on up to six target creatures you don't control. For each counter placed, Twister of Strength costs 1 less to play.
Whenever Twister of Strength blocks, or is blocked by, a creature with +1/+1 counters, they are treated as -1/-1 counters until end of turn. (The counters are transformed before damage is assigned.)
3/3

This ought to do what I think it does, right?

Jormengand
2016-04-08, 03:01 PM
Cast Into the Void XXXCCCCC
Sorcery - MR
Cast Into the Void costs 1 less to cast for each card in exile.
Exile X target creatures.
When the legions of purgatory start knocking, get away from the door.

mystic1110
2016-04-08, 03:35 PM
Trash Heap Guru 4R
Creature - Goblin Wizard R
Scrapcast (You may cast this card any time you could cast a sorcery by sacrificing an Artifact and paying the difference in mana costs between this and the sacrificed Artifact. Mana cost includes color.)
When ~ enters the battlefield you may sacrifice an artifact. If you do, return target artifact card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
4/4

Blue Ghost
2016-04-08, 07:06 PM
Norn's Idol 7
Artifact Creature - Golem (C)
Suture (Each creature you control that you put a -1/-1 counter on while casting this spell pays for 1.)
ďIt is our joy to give our flesh to the Great Work.Ē
óMachine Orthodoxy catechism
5/5

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Colorless/Norns%20Idol_zpsl5udicz9.png

BasketOfPuppies
2016-04-08, 07:37 PM
Reap the Unholy 8WR
Enchantment-R
This costs 1 less to cast for each point of damage dealt to creatures an opponent controls by sources you control this turn.

At the beginning of your upkeep, gain 7 life.

ben-zayb
2016-04-08, 09:39 PM
Repurposed Rager 3(R/P)(R/P)(R/P)
Artifact Creature - Ogre (U)
Infect, Haste
When ~ enters the battlefield, for each 2 life paid to cast it, it deals 1 damage to each creature.
4/3

LaZodiac
2016-04-08, 11:40 PM
Skaab Demolisher 8BB
Creature - Zombie Horror (R)
Delve
Menace
Sacrifice three creatures: Return ~ from your graveyard to your hand.
7/5
With a lack of angel blood, stitchers have turned to more demonic sources. The results are...promising.

Jormengand
2016-04-09, 05:55 AM
Isn't the defining feature of Skaabs that they're blue?

LaZodiac
2016-04-09, 08:40 AM
Isn't the defining feature of Skaabs that they're blue?

That flavor conceit of my card is that the angel blood is what makes them blue. I'm also flipflopping on if it should be blackblue or not. May change it.

Ionbound
2016-04-09, 06:58 PM
Prayers to Serra-15WW

Sorcery-MR

~ costs 1 less to cast for each point of life you have above your starting total.

Put X 4/4 Angel Tokens with Flying and Vigilance onto the battlefield, where X is the number of permanents each opponent controls.

When Serra was reborn, she wasted no time fashioning new life from the millennia of prayers she had missed.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-04-09, 10:05 PM
Viashino Thornwaker 3RG
Creature - Viashino Shaman U
Convoke
When Viashino Thornwaker enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token on the battlefield, then Viashino Thornwaker deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of saproling creatures you control.
3/3

r2d2go
2016-04-10, 11:19 PM
Symbol of Unity 4WW
Convoke (Your creatures can help cast this spell. Each creature you tap while casting this spell pays for 1 or one mana of that creature's color.)
Forecast - 1W, Reveal ~ from your hand: Put a 1/1 white human token into the battlefield. (Play this ability only during your upkeep and only once per turn.)
4/4

"Only united can we shape a better tomorrow."

Misothene
2016-04-11, 05:10 PM
Twister of Strength 6U
When you play Twister of Strength, you may place a +1/+1 counter on up to six target creatures you don't control. For each counter placed, Twister of Strength costs 1 less to play.
Whenever Twister of Strength blocks, or is blocked by, a creature with +1/+1 counters, they are treated as -1/-1 counters until end of turn. (The counters are transformed before damage is assigned.)
3/3

This ought to do what I think it does, right?

No, it doesn't. The cost reduction ability doesn't work. It looks like an on-cast trigger, and by the time you've cast it, it's too late to reduce the cost. I think it needs to be phrased this way:
"As an additional cost to cast Twister of Strength, put a +1/+1 counter on up to six creatures you don't control. Twister of Strength costs 1 less to cast for each counter placed this way."

I think the other ability would better read as:
"Whenever Twister of Strength blocks or is blocked by a creature, that creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn for each +1/+1 counter on it."
Since +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters are not supposed to exist in the same limited formats, it seems worthwhile to not reference both on the card.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-04-11, 05:56 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I decided to go with a Convoke-inspired wording, to make it clear the counters are optional.

Also, thanks for pointing out the counter thing. I don't actually know WHY that's the standard, but whatever.

LaZodiac
2016-04-11, 06:44 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I decided to go with a Convoke-inspired wording, to make it clear the counters are optional.

Also, thanks for pointing out the counter thing. I don't actually know WHY that's the standard, but whatever.

Readability issues. It's a game design thing.

Blue Ghost
2016-04-11, 11:56 PM
Readability issues. It's a game design thing.

To elaborate, if both +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters are used in a set, it makes it impossible to tell at a glance how big a given creature is, and players will have to mentally keep track of what creature has which type of counter. That's mental busywork that adds to complexity and distracts from the gameplay.

Misothene
2016-04-13, 12:29 AM
Eldritch Secrets 9UUBB
Sorcery- MR
Eldritch Secrets costs 1 less for each Clue you control.
Target player puts all cards from his or her library into his or her graveyard except the bottom one. Then, he or she may reveal that card. If he or she does, he or she plays it without paying its mana cost and skips his or her next draw step.

Blue Ghost
2016-04-15, 12:47 PM
Should be judging time?

braveheart
2016-04-15, 05:09 PM
I'll get judging up sometime tomorrow

Ninjaman
2016-04-16, 03:36 AM
Hidden Teachings - 3UU
Instant - R
Every card you discard as you cast Hidden Teachings makes it cost 1 less.
Draw three cards.

Jormengand
2016-04-16, 07:01 AM

I believe that the correct wording for that is "Hidden teachings costs 1 less for each (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+[costs]+[less]+[for]+[each]) card you discard while casting it" or "Each card you discard while casting Hidden Teachings pays for 1 (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=|[delve]|[convoke])"

Misothene
2016-04-16, 10:45 AM
I believe that the correct wording for that is "Hidden teachings costs 1 less for each card you discard while casting it" or "Each card you discard while casting Hidden Teachings pays for 1"

It's neither. That's reminder text, not rules text, so it doesn't actually make sense. Here's what Delve would say if it weren't keyworded (spelled out in the Comp Rules):
"For each generic mana in this spellís total cost, you may exile a card from your graveyard rather than pay that mana."

So this card should say "For each generic mana in Hidden Teaching's total cost, you may discard a card rather than pay that mana."

Or, it could use a wording like "As an additional cost to cast Hidden Teachings, discard up to 3 cards. Hidden Teachings costs 1 less to cast for each card discarded this way."

braveheart
2016-04-16, 09:03 PM
Twister of Strength 6B
While casting this spell, you may place a +1/+1 counter on up to six target creatures you don't control. Each token placed pays for 1 of this card's mana cost.
Whenever Twister of Strength blocks or is blocked by a creature with +1/+1 counters, it gains -2/-2 until end of turn for each counter. (Apply the penalty before either side assigns damage)
3/3

To be clear, the blocking/blocked creature gets -2/-2, not Twister of Strength.

I am liking the interaction with the downside of the card's cost making the resulting creature more effective, while overall hurting you.

Cast Into the Void XXXCCCCC
Sorcery - MR
Cast Into the Void costs 1 less to cast for each card in exile.
Exile X target creatures.
When the legions of purgatory start knocking, get away from the door.The Colorless cost seems a little high, I think this one could be done for only XXXCCC, but as is it is still printable, and wouldonly have any potential to get out of hand in Commander

Trash Heap Guru 4R
Creature - Goblin Wizard R
Scrapcast (You may cast this card any time you could cast a sorcery by sacrificing an Artifact and paying the difference in mana costs between this and the sacrificed Artifact. Mana cost includes color.)
When ~ enters the battlefield you may sacrifice an artifact. If you do, return target artifact card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
4/4
So i scrapcast my 4 mana artifact and a red, then this guy ETB's and i scrap my 1 mana artifact to get the 4 mana one back, this doesn't quite seem right, especially since it turns into R ta sac my worst artifact, flicker my best one, and still get a 4/4 body out of the mix. I love the idea of Scrapcast, but this is a poor implementation of it

Norn's Idol 7
Artifact Creature - Golem (C)
Suture (Each creature you control that you put a -1/-1 counter on while casting this spell pays for 1.)
ďIt is our joy to give our flesh to the Great Work.Ē
óMachine Orthodoxy catechism
5/5

It is a fair card, and i can certainly see it being printed, yet never played except for in limited decks. no real complaints other than that it is a weak card, but at common it would be all over limited, which may have been your intention.

Reap the Unholy 8WR
Enchantment-R
This costs 1 less to cast for each point of damage dealt to creatures an opponent controls by sources you control this turn.

At the beginning of your upkeep, gain 7 life.
Huge lifegain at a fair price, i like it and it the reduction makes it tempting for a lot of commander environments.

Repurposed Rager 3(R/P)(R/P)(R/P)
Artifact Creature - Ogre (U)
Infect, Haste
When ~ enters the battlefield, for each 2 life paid to cast it, it deals 1 damage to each creature.
4/3
well i am sufficiently terrified of this card, 4 damage on an infect, can win a game real quick, the fact that you can get it out of turn 3 to instead put 3, -1/-1 counters on all creatures and kill itself is a nice touch.

Skaab Demolisher 8BB
Creature - Zombie Horror (R)
Delve
Menace
Sacrifice three creatures: Return ~ from your graveyard to your hand.
7/5
With a lack of angel blood, stitchers have turned to more demonic sources. The results are...promising.
It needs a heavier color weight because of the delve, or to be smaller, probably both, as was already mentioned Skaabs are blue not black, and it would ceertainly have that be added in to fix the color weight issue

Eldritch Secrets 9UUBB
Sorcery- MR
Eldritch Secrets costs 1 less for each Clue you control.
Target player puts all cards from his or her library into his or her graveyard except the bottom one. Then, he or she may reveal that card. If he or she does, he or she plays it without paying its mana cost and skips his or her next draw step.
This one is amazingly powerful, forcing your oponent to figure out how to save themselves on your turn, the cost is appropriate, although i'm unsure of how many clues can get out in a constructed deck, which could make this worrysome. however that could easily be fixed with further playtesting and the idea is sound

Hidden Teachings - 3UU
Instant - R
Draw three cards.
As is it doesn't work, but if it were fixed as suggested above it would be a very interestingly ballanced card that has a place at every point in the game.

Ben.
as i read this one I was about to rip into it being OP before i noticed that it hit itself as well, which makes incredibly balanced and fun

Ionbound
2016-04-17, 08:50 AM
You missed mine, Braveheart.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-04-17, 09:02 AM
I could have sworn I made a card, too. :smalltongue: Same goes for Artoo, I think.

The thing to keep in mind is that the multi-quote function will only ever grab 10 posts at a time. After that, it starts dropping ones you previously selected, seemingly at random.

...unless you are purposefully skipping convoke cards for being uncreative, in which case: well played.

braveheart
2016-04-17, 09:55 AM
Actually that was the first time I've ever used the multi quote capability, and I was not aware of that malfunction

*Edit*
Looking at the ones you have brought to my attention, my decision stands for the winner, mainly because convoke is unoriginal, however the Viashino one would have landed runner up

As for the angel dump, my problem with that one is that it's only useful if you are already winning, and would only serve to secure your victory if you get it out. It is so difficult to cast that the average limited deck would need literally all of its lands to be played to cast it when it'd be useful, but most players have already lost long before there library runs out of land.

ericgrau
2016-04-17, 10:14 AM
I think you're missing the discount. I'd say Prayers to Serra looks too powerful if anything. A lifegain deck casts it for WW and immediately wins unless a faster deck wins first. It's especially broken in Commander.

ben-zayb
2016-04-17, 07:54 PM
Neat!

Alright, unleash your inner (or imaginary) Timmy and give me fatties!

EDIT: Yes, any card that produces you a fatty still counts.

Atomburster
2016-04-17, 10:01 PM
Dragonscape 6RRRRGG
Rare Enchantment

Each land you control is a 5/5 Red Dragon with Flying, in addition to it's other types.

Sarkhan Vol knew he had finally done it.

Fable Wright
2016-04-17, 10:22 PM
Primeval Urge GGGGG
Creature ó Beast Avatar MR
Cumulative UpkeepóSearch your library for a creature card with power 7 or greater, exile it, then shuffle your library.

You may cast spells exiled by cards named ~.

7/7

r2d2go
2016-04-18, 12:21 AM
Emerald Fist, Shining Fist of Justice 6GGWW
Legendary Creature - Human Monk R
Lifelink, Hexproof, Vigilance, Trample
When ~ attacks, destroy target permanent.
9/9

BasketOfPuppies
2016-04-18, 08:51 AM
Oozemaster 5G
Creature- Wizard R
At the beginning of each upkeep, put an Oozeling creature token with "this creature's powers and toughness are equal to the number of Oozelings you control".
They grow up so fast!
1/2

ericgrau
2016-04-18, 12:29 PM
Wraithspawn (black color indicator)
Enchantment - R
Flashback BBB
Each creature spell cast from your graveyard on the turn you cast Wraithspawn comes into play with 4 +1/+1 counters on it.
Creatures you control with 4 or more +1/+1 counters have shadow and lose all other abilities.

Jormengand
2016-04-18, 02:23 PM
Unending Mob XWG
Creature - Human R
Unending Mob enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever another nontoken human you control dies, you may remove a +1/+1 counter from unending mob. If you do, return that creature to the battlefield.
0/0

No, unending mobs can't save other unending mobs.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-04-18, 03:30 PM
The Cheat G
Creature - The Cheat C
If The Cheat was not cast from your hand, it enters the battlefield with 5 additional +1/+1 counters on it.
The Cheat has trample as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.
1/1

mystic1110
2016-04-18, 04:34 PM
Obsidian Titan 5RRRRR
Creature - Beast Titan M
Trample
When you cast Obsidian Titan put a blaze counter on each land without a blaze counter on it. For as long as those lands have a blaze counter on them, they have "At the beginning of your upkeep, this land deals 1 damage to you." (Lands continue to burn after Obsidian Titan has left the battlefield.)
Once she is born the world ends regardless if she dies or not.
8/8

BasketOfPuppies
2016-04-18, 04:37 PM
The Cheat G
Creature - The Cheat C
If The Cheat was not cast from your hand, it enters the battlefield with 5 additional +1/+1 counters on it.
1/1

So it has the creature type "the"?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-04-18, 04:52 PM
So it has the creature type "the"?

Yes. :smalltongue:

Explanation: right now the name and creature types are both a reference to Homestar Runner, and one of the affectations of the cartoon is that the characters tend to use definite articles where you don't usually expect them in English. He's not just a Cheat; he's a The Cheat.

(I'll probably change both fields to something more "Magepunk" later.)

Blue Ghost
2016-04-18, 05:19 PM
The Cheat G
Creature - The Cheat C
1/1

Seems way too complicated for common. Could possibly be rare, or uncommon at the least.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-04-18, 05:37 PM
Seems way too complicated for common. Could possibly be rare, or uncommon at the least.

I was afraid someone would say that... The reason I set The Cheat at common is that it only works as ammunition for more interesting effects.

I'm going to go back to the drawing board with this one.

LaZodiac
2016-04-18, 05:51 PM
Gnoll Pack Hunters 4GR
Creature - Hound Warrior (R)
Menace
When ~ attacks, it fights target creature you don't control.
6/5

Misothene
2016-04-18, 08:36 PM
Enchantment - R
Flashback BBB
Each creature spell cast from your graveyard on the turn you cast Wraithspawn comes into play with 4 +1/+1 counters on it.
Creatures you control with 4 or more +1/+1 counters have shadow and lose all other abilities.

Flashback isn't a thing that goes on permanents. Technically, given the wording in the comp rules, it COULD, but it would get exiled instead of going onto the battlefield when it resolves. As such, the only thing that happens when you pay the flashback cost would be exiling it from your graveyard; you wouldn't get either effect.

You could reword the first ability to be an on-cast trigger like some of the Battle for Zendikar Eldrazi, but then why not just make it an instant or sorcery?...

ben-zayb
2016-04-18, 09:24 PM
I think there's already a card template for doing what the faulty flashback effect intends to do, but I'm not sure if I can point that out (being the judge).

BasketOfPuppies
2016-04-18, 10:33 PM
I think there's already a card template for doing what the faulty flashback effect intends to do, but I'm not sure if I can point that out (being the judge).

Well I know that Reassembling Skeleton has "1B: Return Reassembling Skeleton from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped." Maybe do something similar.

mystic1110
2016-04-19, 08:30 AM
Isn't unearth basically flashback for creatures?

BasketOfPuppies
2016-04-19, 09:01 AM
Isn't unearth basically flashback for creatures?

Pretty much, but it gains haste and is exiled at end of turn.

ericgrau
2016-04-19, 11:47 AM
This then:

Sorcery - R
Flashback BBB.
Creatures that came into play from your graveyard this turn gain +4/+4, shadow and lose all other abilities. (this effect is permanent)

I thought it was simple enough to do, but I guess not. Resorted to a permanent sorcery. Next time I'll try something simpler.

Blue Ghost
2016-04-19, 12:53 PM
This then:

Sorcery - R
Flashback BBB.
Creatures that came into play from your graveyard this turn gain +4/+4, shadow and lose all other abilities. (this effect is permanent)

I thought it was simple enough to do, but I guess not. Resorted to a permanent sorcery. Next time I'll try something simpler.

Cards that permanently alter permanents cause memory issues. Using a marker can alleviate them a bit, but doesn't solve them entirely.

Shadow is not an evergreen mechanic, so using it implies that you're bringing the mechanic back as a major set mechanic. Make sure you're aware of the implications of doing that.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-04-19, 01:03 PM
Ogre Juggernaut 5RR

Creature - Ogre Warrior - R

Trample

When ~ enters the battlefield, you may reveal any number of red cards in your hand. If you do, ~ deals damage to each other creature and each player equal to the number of cards revealed this way.

"They think it's all ogre! It is now!"

6/4

Blue Ghost
2016-04-20, 12:11 AM
Formid Queen 2GGG
Creature - Insect (M)
Whenever Formid Queen attacks, put two 1/1 green Insect creature tokens onto the battlefield.
G, Sacrifice a creature: Put a +1/+1 counter on each Insect creature you control.
4/5

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Green/Formid%20Queen_zps5ftf7x1m.png

ben-zayb
2016-04-25, 04:09 PM
Any other last second/minute/hour entries before I start judging? Any replacement for The Cheat, Dr. Guns?

Sgt. Cookie
2016-04-25, 05:45 PM
Eh, screw it. I'll throw one in.

Mutable Elemental 6
Creature - Elemental R
When you cast Mutable Elemental, or at any time you could play a Sorcery, you may spend one mana of any colour. If you do, Mutable Elemental becomes a Land creature of that colour. Colourless mana can be used for this ability, turning it into a colourless Land creature.
If Mutable Elemental is a Land creature, it has "T: Add one mana of this creature's colour to your mana pool". (If Mutable Elemental is a colourless Land creature, it adds C.)
5/5

ben-zayb
2016-04-25, 10:42 PM
Dragonscape 6RRRRGG
Rare Enchantment

Each land you control is a 5/5 Red Dragon with Flying, in addition to it's other types.

Sarkhan Vol knew he had finally done it.I like the concept. Thing is that, turning all your lands into creatures that are then all likely tapped out after casting this presents a risk to board wipes. I'd prefer that it utilizes its green-slice of the color pie by having Flash or having an ETB effect to untap all forest/mountains or creatures you control, just so you are not the one caught in the position with your dragonsized pants down.

Primeval Urge GGGGG
Creature ó Beast Avatar MR
Cumulative UpkeepóSearch your library for a creature card with power 7 or greater, exile it, then shuffle your library.

You may cast spells exiled by cards named ~.

7/7Hmm... that's a pretty creative attempt at satisfying the challenge both ways. This sure packs a lot of power, and you'll most likely get at least one successful creature tutor off of it. Interesting that it works with other Primeval Urges in your deck, both for tutoring another copy and using exiled creatures of a previous copy. The casting cost makes it a bit hard to utilize with non-greens, but that's just a minor issue.

Emerald Fist, Shining Fist of Justice 6GGWW
Legendary Creature - Human Monk R
Lifelink, Hexproof, Vigilance, Trample
When ~ attacks, destroy target permanent.
9/9I want this so bad to be a powerful general, but the 10-CMC just seems to high..maybe a 3GGWW 6/6 or 5/5?. Outside commander, it's still pretty potent but slow midrange, although, of course, you're likely already expecting a win by the time this hits the board.

Oozemaster 5G
Creature- Wizard R
At the beginning of each upkeep, put an Oozeling creature token with "this creature's powers and toughness are equal to the number of Oozelings you control".
They grow up so fast!
1/2It's a great timmy card based on its effects, but it barely satisfies the challenge since you need at least 3 turns to legitimately give fatties (4 4/4s after 4 upkeeps). It's fairly powerful otherwise, kinda like a token generator + coat of arms specific to those rolled into one card.

Unending Mob XWG
Creature - Human R
Unending Mob enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever another nontoken human you control dies, you may remove a +1/+1 counter from unending mob. If you do, return that creature to the battlefield.
0/0

No, unending mobs can't save other unending mobs.Wait...shouldn't the comment below be an additional rules text? I suppose it satisfies the challenge when cast for 4WG. It feels more like a card with plenty of good combo potential, or like a fairly good competitive defensive card for sideboard.

Obsidian Titan 5RRRRR
Creature - Beast Titan M
Trample
When you cast Obsidian Titan put a blaze counter on each land without a blaze counter on it. For as long as those lands have a blaze counter on them, they have "At the beginning of your upkeep, this land deals 1 damage to you." (Lands continue to burn after Obsidian Titan has left the battlefield.)
Once she is born the world ends regardless if she dies or not.
8/8Wow, this one has got some big effects going for it that Timmies will love, and IMO fittingly screams "casual play" the most among the contenders. You don't even have to put a reminder text from what I see, because the phrase used was "when you cast..." a la Cascade, so technically simply casting this could win you the game. It's big and tramply, it pings for small noncombat damage crapton of times, it damages each player, and it has land flavor, so I could say the RRRRR is perfect.

Gnoll Pack Hunters 4GR
Creature - Hound Warrior (R)
Menace
When ~ attacks, it fights target creature you don't control.
6/5It's pretty elegant and one of the more viable ones in competitive. Interesting that this green-red fatty has enough evasion, virtually requiring three creatures just to block it, that it does not actually need trample. My minor complaint would be that, I could've sworn it had a different name (fistbreaker or something) before your edit, which gave it a "this badass requires three dudes to be stopped" flavor that I personally prefer in a Timmy card.

This then:

Sorcery - R
Flashback BBB.

I thought it was simple enough to do, but I guess not. Resorted to a permanent sorcery. Next time I'll try something simpler.I'm not sure what's this meant to be used with. Most reanimator decks I'm familiar with don't simply use vanilla fatties, instead opting for those that also have very good abilities. And while unearth mechanics make it seem like the haste/exile components still can't be bypassed by Wraithspawn, most unearth creatures also have interesting etb/activated/leaves abilities that would be lost with this, although it's easier to find situations where there P/T and evasion would be more important than their abilities. There's also the issue of Shadow being mostly a non-interactive keyword that Wizards takes good care on when to use. Also, check out Haakon (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=122045), for a wording that you probably would have wanted for this.

Ogre Juggernaut 5RR

Creature - Ogre Warrior - R

Trample

When ~ enters the battlefield, you may reveal any number of red cards in your hand. If you do, ~ deals damage to each other creature and each player equal to the number of cards revealed this way.

"They think it's all ogre! It is now!"

6/4Ooh, a mass Cinder Seer / Scent of Cinder effect, and a bit reminiscent of my last entry. By the time you can cast this you're likely already top-decking unless you play some sort of UR or WUR midrange. Even from a timmy perspective, the second ability may easily feel underwhelming, so I'd probably end up looking for better 7-drop options.

Formid Queen 2GGG
Creature - Insect (M)
Whenever Formid Queen attacks, put two 1/1 green Insect creature tokens onto the battlefield.
G, Sacrifice a creature: Put a +1/+1 counter on each Insect creature you control.
4/5

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Green/Formid%20Queen_zps5ftf7x1m.png
It seems to be the most powerful card competitively, and is pretty good enough to see in either limited or constructed play. It's another card that could satisfy the challenge both ways with good dynamics. Nothing to complain about, really.

Mutable Elemental 6
Creature - Elemental R
When you cast Mutable Elemental, or at any time you could play a Sorcery, you may spend one mana of any colour. If you do, Mutable Elemental becomes a Land creature of that colour. Colourless mana can be used for this ability, turning it into a colourless Land creature.
If Mutable Elemental is a Land creature, it has "T: Add one mana of this creature's colour to your mana pool". (If Mutable Elemental is a colourless Land creature, it adds C.)
5/5The concept of storing/capturing mana "data" of a particular color is good, but this itself seems pretty weak without evasion (trample, menace, flying, etc). Lotus Guardian is a 7-drop 4/4 flying fatty that adds any color without drawback, and this just doesn't measure up.

r2d2go's Emerald Fist, Shining Fist of Justice and mystic1110's Obsidian TitanLaZodiac's Gnoll Pack HuntersBlue Ghost's Formid Queen!

Blue Ghost
2016-04-26, 12:48 AM
Thank you!

This week's contest:

Make a card to showcase a world inspired by fairy tales.

mystic1110
2016-04-26, 09:26 AM
Trail of Breadcrumbs W
Enchantment U
When ~ enters the battlefield exile target creature.
Whenever a player plays a land card place a crumb counter on Trail of Breadcrumbs.
Whenever a bird enters the battlefield remove all crumb counters from Trail of Breadcrumbs.
At the end of your turn if the number of crumb counters on Trail of Breadcrumbs equals the converted mana cost of the exiled card, sacrifice Trail of breadcrumbs and return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.

Waiting to go Back W
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has "If an aura enters the battlefield, place this creature on the bottom of its owner's library."
ďYou want to go back, and so you hold on to the habits you learned while you were traveling, because it's better that admitting the journey's over.Ē - Seanan McGuire.

The quote is from Seanan McGuire's wonderful book "every heart a doorway," which was about a whole bunch of girls whom traveled and lived for years in fairy tales lands, but have come back home. They are all desperate to go back, but can't find the door back to their fairy tale world (or they were kicked out for getting old, etc).

Jormengand
2016-04-26, 09:28 AM
The reason they can't save each other is that they'll be 0/0s if they try.

I'll think of a card... some time. I guess.

r2d2go
2016-04-26, 09:41 PM
Resting Fae B
Creature - Faerie Citizen U
At the beginning of your upkeep, Transform ~ if you've triggered no Dreamers' transform this turn.
0/1

Dark Dealer
Creature - Faerie Dreamer U
Whenever ~ is blocked by a non-Dreamer creature, each player loses 3 life.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Transform ~.
3/2

(Trying for a version of the old dreamworld community creation - rather than enforce a degenerate evasion type (can only be blocked by enchantment creatures), it should be an okay weenie in all sets but still create an encouraged separation of Dreamer and Citizen - and it works with the flavor of faeries tricking people into bad deals. The "if you haven't triggered a Dreamer transform" clause should make clear "night/day" cycles to help this, and also allow manipulation/interactivity).

LaZodiac
2016-04-26, 10:26 PM
Boarish Brick-builder 3GW
Creature - Pig Artificer (U)
Lands you control have indestructible.
G, (T), Tap an untapped land you control: Prevent all combat damage to target creature this turn.
3/5
A good solid brick is worth a tonne of straw.

ben-zayb
2016-04-26, 11:30 PM
True Love's Sacrifice 2WW
Legendary Enchantment (R)
Sacrifice a nontoken creature you own: Exile target creature, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control, then exile all curses attached to its controller.
"Even the most potent of bewitchments and the most grievous of wounds can be unmade by one selfless act."

tgva8889
2016-04-27, 12:20 AM
Fae Wish UB
Sorcery (MR)
If you don't already own a face-down card in exile, exile a card you own from outside the game face-down. You may cast that card as long as it's exiled by paying life equal to twice its converted mana cost as an additional cost to cast it.
You don't always get exactly what you wish for.

braveheart
2016-04-27, 12:41 AM
Faery Godmother 3WW
Creature - Faery Angel - R
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts a spell that targets a human you control, you may counter that spell unless it's controler pays (2)
4/4

Fable Wright
2016-04-27, 12:51 AM
Fae Wish 1UB
Sorcery (MR)
Exile a card you own from outside the game face-down. You may cast that card as long as it's exiled without paying its mana cost by paying life equal to twice its converted mana cost.

1UB for a free Lotus Bloom/Restore Balance/Hypergenesis/Wheel of Fate/Living End/Ancestral Visions, or land of any type? Or just 2 life for my Angel's Grace from the Wishboard, with the option to pay more for an Ad Nauseum? Score!

tgva8889
2016-04-27, 04:13 AM
In the formats where those cards are legal, that's not that much better than what you can already do with those cards, so sure?

BasketOfPuppies
2016-04-27, 05:31 AM
Rescue the Princess 3W
Sorcery- U
Put a 2/2 white Knight creature token with Vigilance onto the battlefield, then exile target Dragon. If you do, put a 1/1 white Princess creature token onto the battlefield.

Ninjaman
2016-04-27, 08:40 AM
In the formats where those cards are legal, that's not that much better than what you can already do with those cards, so sure?

It also allows show and tell decks to play 7 SaTs, (or 8 if they put eureka in the board instead), and can even find an omniscience when you aren't against a beatdown deck.

You can also find Sorin's Vengeance and burn for 10 if you're at 15 or more. Wit's End also seems like a wishboard card that can give some free wins.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-04-27, 09:21 AM
Glass Casket 4
Artifact - U
When Glass Casket enters the battlefield, place target creature from your graveyard into exile for as long as Glass Casket is in play.
When a Prince creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may sacrifice Glass Casket. If you do, return the exiled creature to the battlefield under its owner's control.
Entombed in glass forever more.

Ionbound
2016-04-27, 12:23 PM
Dissolve to Seafoam-2UW

Instant-R

Choose one or both:

Exile Target Creature
Counter Target Creature Spell

Target opponent puts a 1/1 White Spirit Token with Flying onto the battlefield under their control.

The Mermaid could not bring herself to slay the Prince and his new Bride. Instead, she cast away the dagger, dissolving to foam and becoming a spirit of the air.

A reference to the original ending of the Little Mermaid.

tgva8889
2016-04-27, 12:42 PM
It also allows show and tell decks to play 7 SaTs, (or 8 if they put eureka in the board instead), and can even find an omniscience when you aren't against a beatdown deck.

You can also find Sorin's Vengeance and burn for 10 if you're at 15 or more. Wit's End also seems like a wishboard card that can give some free wins.

These things are all good, but I'm not sure how broken any of them are. Certainly the formats in which they appear, there are all answers and costs to playing with Fae Wish. I'd say it falls into the "possibly too powerful, but certainly exciting" camp with these descriptions. I mean, I'd consider it a success if we make a UB deck that wants to spend Fae Wish and risk losing 14 life to put Sorin's Vengeance or Wit's End on the stack.

Fortuna
2016-04-27, 04:26 PM
Sleep of Kings 2WW
Enchantment R
Flash
When a creature you control dies, if no cards are exiled under Sleep of Kings, exile that card under Sleep of Kings.
Sacrifice Sleep of Kings: Put each card exiled with Sleep of Kings into play under its owner's control. Activate this ability only if you have less than half your starting life total.
Until the kingdom calls again
They sleep in peace, past mortal ken.

r2d2go
2016-04-28, 12:47 AM
These things are all good, but I'm not sure how broken any of them are. Certainly the formats in which they appear, there are all answers and costs to playing with Fae Wish. I'd say it falls into the "possibly too powerful, but certainly exciting" camp with these descriptions. I mean, I'd consider it a success if we make a UB deck that wants to spend Fae Wish and risk losing 14 life to put Sorin's Vengeance or Wit's End on the stack.

I normally don't critique cards in this thread based on anything other than working as intended, but... there's a lot of things.

Wheel of Fortune for 1UB in modern. Biorhythm in Modern, followed up by any 1 cmc black life loss. Cruel Ultimatum - You lose 9, draw 3, return a creature, your opponent loses 5, discards 3, loses a creature for 1UB. Basically Ball Lightning for 1UB and 2 life in Spark Trooper. Blood Moon. Melira, Sylvok Outcast. Leyline of Sanctity. Baneslayer. Primeval Titan. Savage Ventmaw.

Those are all problems, some because it's too powerful, some because the color is all wrong, some because all of these are possible in the same card, and some all of the above. There's just too many cards in the Magic world to say none of them are broken at 1UB + twice CMC Life, and even worse, this is all of them at once. It's even worse in that respect than Tinker, and that's banned in Legacy.

tgva8889
2016-04-28, 02:52 AM
Some of those cards are just not problems, but sure.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-04-28, 06:10 AM
Wicked Witch 1B

Creature - Human Wizard - C

At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life for each curse you control attached to an opponent.

2/1

BasketOfPuppies
2016-04-28, 08:49 AM
Wicked Witch 1B

At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life for each curse attached to an opponent.

2/1

You may want to make that "curses you control".

Ninjaman
2016-04-28, 02:21 PM
Some of those cards are just not problems, but sure.

Reverse the Sands also seems super nasty since it turns the downside into an upside. Also cards like sway the stars and worldfire just weren't meant to happen for 3 mana.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-04-28, 03:17 PM
You may want to make that "curses you control".
Yeah, should have done that.

mystic1110
2016-04-28, 03:27 PM
Reverse the Sands also seems super nasty since it turns the downside into an upside. Also cards like sway the stars and worldfire just weren't meant to happen for 3 mana.

sway probably won't happen because you will need to pay 20 life. I am guessing you can't pay life that you don't have right?

Also - not a great combo - but would be pretty fun to have lich's mirror our, cast fae wish, "pay just enough life to lose the game, and I think you start out the new game with whatever you cast since it was on the stack while everything on the field ect got shuffled away. Does that work?

Jormengand
2016-04-28, 03:45 PM
Fated Pair 2BB
Sorcery - U
Destroy target creature and tap another target creature.

r2d2go
2016-04-28, 06:41 PM
sway probably won't happen because you will need to pay 20 life. I am guessing you can't pay life that you don't have right?

Also - not a great combo - but would be pretty fun to have lich's mirror our, cast fae wish, "pay just enough life to lose the game, and I think you start out the new game with whatever you cast since it was on the stack while everything on the field ect got shuffled away. Does that work?

Yeah, if you have Lich's Mirror out, you'd get whatever ridiculously huge spell you want - Emrakul, Jin-Gitaxias, Blightsteel Colossus, Enter the Infinite, Kozilek, Storm Herd for 20, Progenitus, whatever. That's just one of the probably triple-digit number of combos with 3 mana for anything though.

(It'd be a lot more balanced if it cost some sort of scaling mana instead of life)

ericgrau
2016-04-28, 10:23 PM
Three Little Pigs 4G
Sorcery - U
Put a 1/1 green pig creature token onto the battlefield.
Put a 1/2 green pig creature token onto the battlefield.
Put a 1/6 green pig creature token onto the battlefield.

Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin.

tgva8889
2016-04-29, 02:05 AM
Well it's not a problem now.

mystic1110
2016-04-29, 09:08 AM
Well it's not a problem now.

Fae Wish UB
Sorcery (MR)
If you don't already own a face-down card in exile, exile a card you own from outside the game face-down. You may cast that card as long as it's exiled by paying life equal to twice its converted mana cost as an additional cost to cast it.

It seems you made it . . . one mana cheaper? :smallconfused:

ben-zayb
2016-04-29, 09:27 AM
It seems you made it . . . one mana cheaper? :smallconfused:

The life payment is now additional instead of alternative, and there is some limit now to prevent stacking fae wishes concurrently.

A bit off-topic, but is there a (separate) thread for discussing M:tG's mostly-current lore?

mystic1110
2016-04-29, 09:41 AM
The life payment is now additional instead of alternative, and there is some limit now to prevent stacking fae wishes concurrently.

Oops, yeah missed that :smallredface:.

Blue Ghost
2016-04-29, 12:55 PM
A bit off-topic, but is there a (separate) thread for discussing M:tG's mostly-current lore?

That should go under the main MTG thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482384-Magic-the-Gathering-XXII-Where-Puns-Go-to-Die) over in Gaming.

Ninjaman
2016-04-29, 03:41 PM
Love Charm - W
Instant - U
Choose one:

Target creature you control has protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
Exile target enchantment.
Put a 1/1 white Human creature token onto the battlefield.

braveheart
2016-05-01, 04:50 PM
Should judging be up soon?

Fable Wright
2016-05-01, 04:55 PM
Kidnap W
Instant - U
Put a Hostage counter on target creature you control, then exile another target creature until that counter leaves the battlefield.

LaZodiac
2016-05-01, 11:53 PM

Oh **** right. Sorry, Blue's in LA right now and will be back tomorrow or potentially tonight. That's likely when he'll post the judgement.

Jormengand
2016-05-02, 08:46 AM
Kidnap W
Instant - U
Put a Dungeon counter on target creature you control, then exile target creature until that counter leaves the battlefield.

I'm not sure that this is possible. It would work better as an aura enchantment with flash that enchanted one of your creatures.

braveheart
2016-05-02, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure that this is possible. It would work better as an aura enchantment with flash that enchanted one of your creatures.
It can work, you'd just have to make hostage counters have the O ring ability innately, simmilar to blaze counters, so the spell's only ability is to put a hostage counter on target creature you control, then the rest of the card would act as reminder text defining hostage counters, however this does allow for certain manipulations such as a synergy with proliferate

Blue Ghost
2016-05-02, 01:01 PM

Still one more day till the deadline.

Jormengand
2016-05-02, 01:59 PM
It can work, you'd just have to make hostage counters have the O ring ability innately, simmilar to blaze counters, so the spell's only ability is to put a hostage counter on target creature you control, then the rest of the card would act as reminder text defining hostage counters, however this does allow for certain manipulations such as a synergy with proliferate

Well, because blaze counters only do anything to the permanent they're on (the same as +1/+1 counters) I don't think that the ability would be advisable for dungeon/hostage counters even if it is possible, which I suspect it isn't because the counter has to remember a piece of information, which I'm not sure that a counter could do. I tried to make a similar mechanic called Lock In which made a counter that remembered a card so you could do something to creatures with a Locked In counter on but only if your card put it there, but decided it was better both mechanically and flavourwise to have Locked In counters be user-agnostic.

Misothene
2016-05-02, 02:24 PM
Kidnap W
Instant - U
Put a Hostage counter on target creature you control, then exile another target creature until that counter leaves the battlefield.

I don't think this works.

Logic question: Counters are never "on the battlefield." How can it leave a place it never was?...

Comp rules question: Is it worth rewriting the rule that says counters have no characteristics and are interchangable? This card requires both:
"121.1. A counter is a marker placed on an object or player that modifies its characteristics and/or interacts with a rule, ability, or effect. Counters are not objects and have no characteristics. Notably, a counter is not a token, and a token is not a counter. Counters with the same name or description are interchangeable."

Practicality concern: If it works, putting this at a lower rarity would (probably) preclude the use of +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters (or others, like charge or level) in the set, since a few turns after this gets played it would be difficult to remember what all the different counters are supposed to be.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-05-02, 02:28 PM
Golden Goose 3
(A goose with polished metallic gold feathers and glinting gemlike eyes, nesting in a spacious indoor marsh with a fountain in the background. It must be in some kind of zoo... or maybe a giant's palace.)
Artifact Creature - Bird U
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, put an artifact token named Gold on the battlefield. It has, "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
1/1

(The art for the Gold token in this set is a big, fat golden egg, in case it wasn't clear.)

Blue Ghost
2016-05-04, 12:20 AM
Trail of Breadcrumbs W
Enchantment U
When ~ enters the battlefield exile target creature.
Whenever a player plays a land card place a crumb counter on Trail of Breadcrumbs.
Whenever a bird enters the battlefield remove all crumb counters from Trail of Breadcrumbs.
At the end of your turn if the number of crumb counters on Trail of Breadcrumbs equals the converted mana cost of the exiled card, sacrifice Trail of breadcrumbs and return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.
I donít like the bird clause on this. Itís cute, but it adds a bunch of superfluous rules text to the card that distracts from the cardís core function. I prefer flavor in cards to come through in the core mechanics and gameplay, and any trinket text to be as unobtrusive as possible. Without that line, this card is quite a nice flavorful design. It evokes the feeling of searching the land for a lost creature through the gameplay without needing to be overly literal. If you really want the ďbird eating breadcrumbsĒ flavor, perhaps you could have a separate card in the set thatís a Bird that removes counters from things.
Another change I would make is to have it only trigger off the lands of the player that owns the exiled creature. Triggering off your own lands doesnít make sense thematically (why would you be helping your opponent look for their creature?), and isnít fun (it punishes you for playing your lands and encourages you to mana screw yourself).

Resting Fae B
Creature - Faerie Citizen U
At the beginning of your upkeep, Transform ~ if you've triggered no Dreamers' transform this turn.
0/1

Dark Dealer
Creature - Faerie Dreamer U
Whenever ~ is blocked by a non-Dreamer creature, its controller loses 3 life.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Transform ~.
3/2
This is rather difficult to evaluate, because thereís so little analogue to this in the existing card base. I donít see any obvious problems, and the gameplay here is novel enough that I think it could have potential. The closest analogue I can see is with Innistrad werewolves. Iím sure that the design team tried this exact mechanic for werewolves before deciding on using a spell-based trigger.
I can see several potential problems with this design path. The lack of control over the transformations may frustrate some players. This particular design youíre showcasing is extremely swingy, constantly switching between useless and grossly overpowered. If all the dreamers are this swingy, that could lead to gameplay issues. But I canít say for sure that this wonít work, and I can see it being a major hit.
Dreamers are quite complex, and using them as one of the setís themes will take up a lot of the setís complexity budget. That may be worth it, as Innistradís werewolves were, but they would need to prove themselves before Iíd consider them worth such a major investment. Theyíre not particularly resonant with core fairy tale tropes, and Iíd worry about them distracting from the fairy tale focus of the set. But transformation is a major theme of a lot of fairy tales, and I think a fairy tale set could use some double-faced cards.
I like that you can delay your Dreamers from transforming back by playing more Citizens to join the dream. Thatís a nice touch.
Transform should not be capitalized. In Magic, only card names and subtypes are capitalized.

Boarish Brick-builder 3GW
Creature - Pig Artificer (U)
Lands you control have indestructible.
G, (T), Tap an untapped land you control: Prevent all combat damage to target creature this turn.
3/5
A good solid brick is worth a tonne of straw.
I like the flavor approach you chose here. A mechanical implementation that evokes the flavor you want without being too literal. But the mechanical implementation you chose has some issues. Thereís very little land destruction in Magic these days for obvious reasons, so making your lands indestructible is pointless most of the time. Tapping an untapped land you control is the vast majority of the time the same as paying 1 mana. The gameplay action is the same, so spelling it out doesnít do much to improve the flavor resonance, and it adds superfluous words which hurt the presentation. Preventing combat damage is a pretty reasonable effect for this design.
I donít see anything green about this mechanically. This can easily be monowhite. And space for multicolor cards is limited in most sets, so you should save it for the cards that need it. In a fairy-tale world populated by talking animals, I can easily see a pig being mono-white.

True Love's Sacrifice 2WW
Legendary Enchantment (R)
Sacrifice a nontoken creature you own: Exile target creature, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control, then exile all curses attached to its controller.
"Even the most potent of bewitchments and the most grievous of wounds can be unmade by one selfless act."
This does represent the sacrifice of love to some extent, but I canít see a bunch of creatures making ďtrue loveís sacrificeĒ repeatedly over the course of a game. Sacrificing creatures to achieve an effect is a black effect; white only gets to sacrifice itself. You can fluff this in a non-black way, but ultimately the way itís going to play in an actual game will feel very black, with you sacrificing a bunch of chumps to protect your important creature.

Fae Wish UB
Sorcery (MR)
Much better than your original version, which was indeed completely broken. This version is quite nice, a tutor that has a significant cost but is still worth playing. Iím not quite sure how I feel about bringing back the wishboard; it changes the dynamic of the game in a fundamental way that Iím not sure Iím comfortable with. This could potentially be monoblack; it feels very demonic in nature.

Faery Godmother 3WW
Creature - Faery Angel - R
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts a spell that targets a human you control, you may counter that spell unless it's controler pays (2)
4/4
A faerie is not an angel; angels do feature in fairy tales, and theyíre a completely different kind of creature. Other than that, this card is quite nice. Protecting a human charge from harm is a perfect choice for what a fairy godmother card does. I think this would be better as an uncommon; itís a bit plain for a rare, and could be a good incentive for the white human deck in limited.
Please clean up your spelling and grammar. Lack of proper capitalization and punctuation makes this hard to read.

Rescue the Princess 3W
Sorcery- U
Put a 2/2 white Knight creature token with Vigilance onto the battlefield, then exile target Dragon. If you do, put a 1/1 white Princess creature token onto the battlefield.
This is a technically accurate representation of the titular fairy tale trope, but I think you took it too literally at the expense of mechanical function and thematic resonance.
Dragons are not common creatures, with the average set having only a single rare. While I can see a fairy-tale set having more dragons than usual, I cannot see them being present in large enough number that youíd be able to hit a dragon with this more than 5% of the time. By taking the dragonslaying trope literally, youíre restricting this to the point of uselessness, and unnecessarily so. To take some examples from existing cards, Deicide (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=380395) doesnít only kill Gods, and Fall of the Titans (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=407619) doesnít kill only Eldrazi. I can easily see this being a Smite the Monstrous (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=402042) variant, maybe with an extra reward if you do manage to hit a dragon with it. And it wouldn't lose much flavor that way either; there are plenty of nasty monsters other than dragons for heroes to slay in fairy tales.
Representing the princess with a 1/1 token is technically accurate, but misses the point. Rescuing the princess is the culmination of the heroís journey. Itís about glory, fame and true love, not getting another chump to fight for you. For flavor and theme, the emotion the card evokes in gameplay is much more important than literal accuracy. Iíd much prefer a more abstract reward that evokes the glory and joy of getting the princess.
Representing the hero isnít necessary on the card, but if you do choose to, Iíd much rather s/he get his/her own card, rather than just being a no-name token.
Vigilance shouldnít be capitalized. Keywords arenít capitalized in Magic formatting.

Glass Casket 4
Artifact - U
When Glass Casket enters the battlefield, place target creature from your graveyard into exile for as long as Glass Casket is in play.
When a Prince creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may sacrifice Glass Casket. If you do, return the exiled creature to the battlefield under its owner's control.
Entombed in glass forever more.
To make this work, youíd not only have to make Prince a creature type, but print enough of them to build a deck around. I donít think that should happen. The point of princes in fairy tales is that theyíre rare and unique, and having enough of them running around in a draft to make a deck goes against that.
Other than that, this card does nothing by itself, and requires both (a) a creature of a specific type to come into play AFTER you play this and (b) a creature in your graveyard worth reanimating. Itís a slow reanimation with a lot of hoops to jump through. Too much effort and too little reward to be worth it.

Dissolve to Seafoam-2UW

Instant-R

Choose one or both:

Exile Target Creature
Counter Target Creature Spell

Target opponent puts a 1/1 White Spirit Token with Flying onto the battlefield under their control.

The Mermaid could not bring herself to slay the Prince and his new Bride. Instead, she cast away the dagger, dissolving to foam and becoming a spirit of the air.
Pretty elegant and flavorful card, but itís probably too strong. Itís really easy to get a 2-for-1 with this, and the downside is too small to be really meaningful.
Some errors in capitalization here. Only the first word in each mode should be capitalized. And it should be ďa 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flyingĒ. Only card names and subtypes should be capitalized.

Sleep of Kings 2WW
Enchantment R
Flash
When a creature you control dies, if no cards are exiled under Sleep of Kings, exile that card under Sleep of Kings.
Sacrifice Sleep of Kings: Put each card exiled with Sleep of Kings into play under its owner's control. Activate this ability only if you have less than half your starting life total.
Until the kingdom calls again
They sleep in peace, past mortal ken.
So the purpose of this card is to protect a creature from dying by removing it from the battlefield until a later time. But any flicker/exile until EOT effect already does this more efficiently and with less comprehension complexity. The card is very flavorful, but it needs more to be playable.

Wicked Witch 1B

At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life for each curse you control attached to an opponent.

2/1
The curse-mongering witch is a staple of fairy tales, and definitely a card this set needs. There are some issues with your implementation though.
Black doesnít gain life without taking it from something else, whether a player or a creature. It could be argued that drawing life from curses qualifies as taking it from a player, but thatís a bit of a stretch. And fairy-tale witches arenít really known for healing.
Under NWO, itís very unusual for a common card to have an effect that triggers every upkeep. Common cards generally have just one-shot effects, and any repeated effects tend to be quite simple. A recurring ability that cares about a specific card type and can potentially gain you 4 or more life a turn is too complex and has too much impact for a common.
This encourages you to draft as many Curses as you can get, which can be problematic. A typical draft deck runs on creatures, and only has a limited amount of space for noncreature cards that donít affect the board, which Curses are by their nature. Unless the format is highly unusual, you canít afford to have too many in your draft deck. Cards can care about Curses, but effects that scale by Curses on the battlefield, especially at common, will point new and inexperienced players in a bad direction, and thatís something we should avoid.
Curse should be capitalized, as itís an enchantment subtype.

Fated Pair 2BB
Sorcery - U
Destroy target creature and tap another target creature.
A very powerful removal spell in limited at uncommon. I donít think black gets to tap creatures, so Iíd add another color to this, probably white. This is powerful enough to be one of the setís gold uncommons, to be sure.
The flavor in gameplay is pretty decent, but rather generic. It can definitely use some flavor text to make it more evocative and to explore the fairy tale world.

Three Little Pigs 4G
Sorcery - U
Put a 1/1 green pig creature token onto the battlefield.
Put a 1/2 green pig creature token onto the battlefield.
Put a 1/6 green pig creature token onto the battlefield.

Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin.
Each type of token in a set is a slight burden to logistics and complexity. Sets prefer to repeat use of tokens across multiple cards when they can, especially at lower rarities, to cut down on mental space and to build a sense of familiarity. I doubt that there will be other cards in the set that make 1/2 and 1/6 pig tokens. Asymmetrical tokens are more complex to keep track of than ones with square stats, especially for players playing without token cards. And having multiple tokens of the same creature type in a set is confusing. All this doesnít mean that itís not possible to play around with different and asymmetrical tokens, but it means there is a real cost to doing so, and the benefit should be worth it. This card is just a generic token maker, and I donít think itís worth all the little design costs it incurs.
Pig should be capitalized, as itís a subtype. Itís also not an existing creature type, and it doesnít make much sense to add it to the creature type list as itís already covered by Boar.

Love Charm - W
Instant - U
Choose one:

Target creature you control has protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
Exile target enchantment.
Put a 1/1 white Human creature token onto the battlefield.

Making a good charm is hard. You have to find three modes that fit in the charmís color(s), and have them be different enough in function yet close enough in power level such that all three modes will see play a significant percentage of the time. Itís not a surprise then that many of the charms printed so far are a mishmash of effects without much thematic cohesion beyond the color(s) of the charm. But you managed to find three effects that are completely different, while being a perfect thematic fit, all without venturing outside a single color. This charm represents all the powers attributed to true love in fairy tales: granting protection, breaking curses, and inspiring the common peasant hero to fight and lay down her life for the one she loves. All of the effects will be useful in different situations, and all of them are similar in power level. And the common theme they share is something that it makes perfect sense to have a charm for. Iím very impressed.
Flavorwise, fairy-tale love is more red than white, but its effects are white enough that white still feels like a good fit. Developmentally, I can see this costing 1W, as versatility of abilities is worth a lot, though perhaps it would be fine at W.

Kidnap W
Instant - U
Counters are a way to track permanent effects, but they feel rather clunky and inelegant. And as others have pointed out, counters donít leave the battlefield. Have you considered using something like Chained to the Rocks (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373521) for this?
The effect is a pretty cool one, though Iím not sure if the flavor is right for fairy tale world. It feels like white would be the good-guy color in a fairy-tale world, and it feels wrong for white to do something as nefarious as kidnapping. But maybe thatís just me.
Counter types are not capitalized.

Golden Goose 3
(A goose with polished metallic gold feathers and glinting gemlike eyes, nesting in a spacious indoor marsh with a fountain in the background. It must be in some kind of zoo... or maybe a giant's palace.)
Artifact Creature - Bird U
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, put an artifact token named Gold on the battlefield. It has, "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
1/1

I quite like this. Thereís plenty of space to explore with Gold tokens, and theyíre quite fun to play with. This can be used as a simple ramp effect by sacrificing each Gold you get immediately, or you can save up the mana it generates.
Making it an artifact creature is an interesting decision. Itís a departure from the source material, where the golden goose was a living, breathing goose. I suppose itís partly for mechanical reasons, as this card doesnít really feel right in any particular color. Departing from the source material and putting your own spin on it isnít necessarily a bad thing though, and making the goose itself made of gold is a nice touch that makes sense flavorfully.
One possible change would be to make the goose itself be able to be sacrificed for mana, so players can act out the killing of the golden goose.
Ninjaman, with Love Charm! Itís an excellently crafted Charm. Thematic and elegant, pleasing to both Vorthos and Mel. Congratulations.

r2d2go
2016-05-04, 06:25 PM
Congrats to Ninjaman! It certainly captures a general feeling of fairy tales in an elegant way, though I agree it might need +1 cost.

Ninjaman
2016-05-05, 03:33 AM
I was considering making it 1W, but that would be too weak, especially the 3rd ability. It is quite pushed at W, but I don't think it is too strong. Either way I am very glad you liked it.

Make a card that does something that haven't been done before

Examples of cards that did this include Birthing Pod (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=218006), Counterbalance (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=121159) and Warp World (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=190187)

r2d2go
2016-05-05, 11:29 AM
Phantom Blade 2
Artifact - Equipment R
Equipped creature gets double strike.
Whenever equipped creature deals damage, its power becomes 1 until end of turn.
It's not the wound that kills you.
Equip 2