PDA

View Full Version : MtG - You Make the Card IV: Threadwalkers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

TurboGhast
2016-07-31, 10:53 PM
I think the official terminology is "put a token onto the battlefield that is..."

FNM Promos (http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/august-through-october-fnm-promo-update-2016-07-26) revealed the terminology change, which officially occurs when Kaladesh is released. The person who judged the previous set of cards (Passive Pete) stated in some of the card analyses that "we 'create' tokens now", so I used the new template because it's a bit easier to write.

@mystic1110: Using the new template is okay, right?

LaZodiac
2016-08-01, 12:53 AM
Emeria's Game 4W
Enchantment (MR)
You control which creatures block each combat and how those creatures block.
At the end of your turn, exile a card from your graveyard or sacrifice ~
"They're all my pieces. They always were. I just no longer want to play"

I dooon't know if this counts for the contest. It technically has nothing to do with flavor except the actual game of chess itself being played. IF this doesn't count I'll make something else.

Blue Ghost
2016-08-01, 01:08 AM
Spirit Pin 3
Artifact (U)
At the beginning of each playerís upkeep, choose target creature. Whenever that creature attacks or blocks, you may destroy another target creature with the same controller. If you do, sacrifice Spirit Pin.
Thrust into the heart of the effigy, it strikes at what the victim most loves.

Chess players should get the reference.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Colorless/Spirit%20Pin_zpstucla94s.png

Misothene
2016-08-01, 01:16 AM
Favored Hop-Knight 1W
Creature- Human Knight C
Heroic- Whenever you cast a spell that targets Favored Hop-Knight, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it gains flying until end of turn.
"Wait, say that again?"
-Gideon, overhearing reports of rogue hoplites
2/2

mythmonster2
2016-08-01, 03:44 AM
Bishops' Duel- 1R
Instant- U
Until end of turn, creatures can only block creatures with which they share a color.

Attempting to simulate bishops' movement here. Not quite sure if the formatting is correct.

ben-zayb
2016-08-01, 11:26 AM
Here are my simplest attempts at translating the knight's unusual attack pattern with regards to evasion and forking:

Crimson Liege 1(W/R)(B/R)
Creature - Human Knight U
Menace, First Strike
3/3

Crimson Liege (W/R)(B/R)R
Creature - Human Knight U
First Strike
You may have ~ assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked.
3/3

Why scrap this: Menace IMO captures the essence of fork dynamics better while still giving that knight-evasion. First Strike more or less emulates the knight's safe forks. Both keywords also gives us a reason to splash W and B.

Let's try something a little more novel:

Leyline of Impulse 2RR
Enchantment R
If ~ is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
Whenever a nonland card is put into a player's hand, he or she must pay all of that card's casting cost to cast it the next time he or she is able to this turn.
"Touch move!"

braveheart
2016-08-01, 12:11 PM
Rivaled King 3WB
Legendary Creature - Human - MR
Hexproof
When Rivaled king is cast put a token copy of him onto the battlefield under an opponent's control.
If rivaled King dies, you lose 10 life and target opponent gains 10 life
2/4

Fable Wright
2016-08-01, 12:19 PM
Rivaled King 4W
Indestructible
When Rivaled king is cast put a token copy of him onto the battlefield under an opponent's control.
Whenever Rivaled King attacks or blocks it loses Indestructible until end of turn.
If rivaled King dies, you lose the game.
3/3

I cast Rivaled King and then Ulcerate your copy. Game 2? (Also works with Languish, as the opponents' king's death effect will trigger first.)

LastCenturion
2016-08-01, 01:05 PM
Why will it trigger first on your opponent? New rule to me, but I haven't read the entire rule list yet so I'm unsurprised. I would assume that the game ends in a draw.

braveheart
2016-08-01, 01:30 PM
Why will it trigger first on your opponent? New rule to me, but I haven't read the entire rule list yet so I'm unsurprised. I would assume that the game ends in a draw.

Your's gets put on the stack first, because you are the active player, then theirs is put on the stack, their ability resolves first

That said, you also run the risk of your opponent retaliating with similar effects to suddenly beat you.

Edit: I adjusted the power and toughness to make the -n/-n effects a bit harder to kill it with anyway

Sgt. Cookie
2016-08-01, 01:31 PM
I'm unfamiliar with that term, "opening hand effects." Can you explain?

Y'know, cards that say "If this card is in your opening hand do X". That sort of thing.

-Snip-

If it weren't for the fact that I was away from a computer, I would have already changed how this works. I already know how.

Mister Tom
2016-08-01, 01:45 PM
Promote to Queen 2GG
Sorcery - U
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a token creature that dealt combat damage to a player this turn.
Create a 8/8 green Human creature token.

The creature type is a bit of a kludge, willing to take alternate ideas.)

An alternative idea- because you don't have to promote to queen- but would probably be a different colour:

Target a token creature you control that dealt combat damage to a player this turn. It becomes an exact copy of another creature on the battlefield, of your choice.

Jormengand
2016-08-01, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the Game 5WWW
Sorcery R
Create 8 1/1 white human soldier creature tokens with flanking, 2 2/2 white human knight creature tokens with vigilance, 2 2/2 white human cleric creature tokens with lifelink, 2 2/4 wall creature tokens with defender, a 4/4 white angel creature token with flying, lifelink and vigilance and a 1/1 human warrior creature token onto the battlefield under your control.

I can't think of any useful ability for the king, so there we go.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-08-01, 03:28 PM
Deep Blue 4

Legendary Artifact - R

U, Discard a card: Choose one-

Target creature becomes unblockable until end of turn.
Target creature must attack this turn if able.
Target creature must block this turn if able.

"Checkmate."

Ealon
2016-08-01, 07:38 PM
Castling 2W
Instant - U
Remove target blocking creature you control from combat. Another creature you control gains +2/+4 until end of turn and blocks all creatures blocked by that creature.
"Moves the king into a safer position and it moves the rook to a more active position, seems like a good opening."

And since this card can be confusing, I'm adding the 'Rulings' that would be placed on gather for this card:

2016/8/3: Ignore blocking restrictions such as flying, or intimidate when assigning the new blocker.
2016/8/3: The new blocker can be assigned as a blocker even if it is already blocking another creature. Under this case, it will be blocking more than one creature.
2016/8/3:Does not undo any abilities which triggered due to the declaration of blockers. The creature that is removed from combat still has any triggered abilities resolve on it.
2016/8/3: The new blocker does not trigger any abilities which trigger on creatures becoming blockers, because the simple change of who is blocking does not trigger such abilities.

I don't think the card would EVER be printed in modern magic do to complexity issues, (too weird for Uncommon but too weak for rare), but in old-school magic it could have existed.

EDIT: Costed it down to 2W. I realized that the old version of the card was only barely better than 'Aim High' or 'Alarum'

LastCenturion
2016-08-01, 10:04 PM
Wait so let's say I'm attacking you with, say, a Soul Warden. I cast Castling, targeting the Soul Warden. Then target creature I control, say the Soul's Attendant I didn't attack with, fights the Soul Warden? I think you meant that the Attendant would fight whatever creature was blocking the Soul Warden, right? Otherwise that card is pretty bad.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-08-01, 10:07 PM
Wait so let's say I'm attacking you with, say, a Soul Warden and a Serra Ascendant (with 22 life, so the Ascendant isn't procced). I cast Castling, targeting the Soul Warden. Then target creature I control, say the Soul's Attendant I didn't attack with, fights the Soul Warden? I think you meant that the Attendant would fight whatever creature was blocking the Soul Warden, right? Otherwise that card is pretty bad.

You're supposed to use it on your opponent's attacking creature.

LastCenturion
2016-08-01, 10:12 PM
Sorry. My most used decks recently ever are Stompie and Soul Sisters, so the idea of using combat tricks besides Path on opponent's creatures isn't the first thing I think of. Maybe specify opposing creatures to both make the card a little less powerful (barely, I admit, but it still limits your options a little) and keep it clear. Also GW doesn't make perfect sense to me. I'd recommend UG, but then again what do I know?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-08-01, 10:33 PM
Mono-white is usually the color for smiting blocked creatures (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193595).

TurboGhast
2016-08-02, 09:30 AM
An alternative idea- because you don't have to promote to queen- but would probably be a different colour:

Target a token creature you control that dealt combat damage to a player this turn. It becomes an exact copy of another creature on the battlefield, of your choice.

The card you're suggesting is either blue-green or mono-blue.

The wording to the post you quoted was unclear: I wanted alternate ideas for the created token's creature type, not for the card in general. I've edited my earlier post for clarity.

The_Tentacle
2016-08-02, 09:59 AM
Queen Trade {GB}
Instant (R)
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a creature.
Each opponent sacrifices a creature with power greater than or equal to the sacrificed creature's power.
"Shall we?"

Flip the Board {6WU}
Instant - Trap (MR)
If 5 or more creatures you control died this turn, you may pay WU rather than play ~'s mana cost.
The game ends in a draw.
"I'm done with this ******* game!"

Ionbound
2016-08-02, 10:21 AM
Scholar's Mate-3UU

Sorcery-R

Only cast this if your opponent control a non-land permanent of the same name for each non-land permanent you control, and no other non-land permanents.

You win the game.

Blindly following your foe can lead only to ruin.

Ealon
2016-08-02, 01:21 PM
Wait so let's say I'm attacking you with, say, a Soul Warden. I cast Castling, targeting the Soul Warden. Then target creature I control, say the Soul's Attendant I didn't attack with, fights the Soul Warden? I think you meant that the Attendant would fight whatever creature was blocking the Soul Warden, right? Otherwise that card is pretty bad.

I wasn't thinking about casting it on your own creatures, though I changed it to prevent your creature being able to fight your creature.

The goal of the card it to "swap blockers". I might rework it to make it feel more like that.

Ebon_Drake
2016-08-02, 01:51 PM
Scholar's Mate-3UU

Sorcery-R

Only cast this if your opponent control a non-land permanent of the same name for each non-land permanent you control.

You win the game.

Blindly following your foe can lead only to ruin.

Um, doesn't this basically amount to "If you control no non-land permanents, you win the game"? That's really not difficult to achieve.

LastCenturion
2016-08-02, 09:49 PM
I picked a thing, and it's a new card. I'll spoiler the others.

Zugzwang - 1WU
Enchantment - R
You cannot lose the game.
On your upkeep, you may scry 1. If you don't, gain 1 life.
"Every move is a bad one. I cannot win."

For those who don't know, Zugzwang is a position in chess where any move that the player in Zugzwang makes is a bad one, and the game will quickly devolve into a loss if their opponent doesn't make any mistakes. Mutual Zugzwang is a position in which any move by either side is a bad move and may result in a loss, so I've spoilered below a design for Mutual Zugzwang. BTW: Zugzwang is a German word that transliterates to "Compelled Move"

Mutual Zugzwang - 2WU
Enchantment - MR
When ~ enters the battlefield, all players lose life equal to their current life total. This damage cannot be prevented or mitigated by effects that would normally prevent or mitigate damage.
All players cannot lose the game.
Indestructible
When ~ leaves the battlefield, all players gain 1 life and protection from spells until end of turn.

EDIT: Removed an ability, reduced mana cost by W

EDIT: Made a new card on the next page, spoilered the old.

Fable Wright
2016-08-02, 09:54 PM
I picked a thing, and it's a new card. I'll spoiler the others.

Zugzwang - 1WWU
Enchantment - R
On each other player's upkeep, they may discard a card or lose 2 life.
You cannot lose the game.
Shroud (This permanent cannot be targeted by spells or abilities)
"Every move is a bad one. I cannot win."

So, first off, the discard a card or lose life effect is very Black, and not at all White or Blue.

Second, I play this and unless my opponent is running specific and dedicated sideboard hate, I win because it is literally impossible for them to have an out.

Misothene
2016-08-03, 01:02 AM
The goal of the card it to "swap blockers". I might rework it to make it feel more like that.

This is a thing that can be, and has been, literally done; see General Jarkeld and Sorrow's Path.

Ionbound
2016-08-03, 01:04 AM
Um, doesn't this basically amount to "If you control no non-land permanents, you win the game"? That's really not difficult to achieve.

Sorry. Should say 'and no other permanents' either way. My bad, forgot to add that.

CantigThimble
2016-08-03, 01:58 AM
Sorry. Should say 'and no other permanents' either way. My bad, forgot to add that.

Even then, one of the many non-land permanent wraths or bounces and then you win.

Ninjaman
2016-08-03, 05:02 AM
Superior Strategy - 1RW
Enchantment - R
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you choose if target creature blocks this combat and how it blocks.

LastCenturion
2016-08-03, 10:01 AM
So, first off, the discard a card or lose life effect is very Black, and not at all White or Blue.

Second, I play this and unless my opponent is running specific and dedicated sideboard hate, I win because it is literally impossible for them to have an out.

Removed the ability. It was making the card too busy anyways.

I made the card specifically so that it's hard to remove. In chess, Zugzwang is actually defined as a losing position that you can't get out of unless the other player screws up. I considered giving it indestructible instead of shroud, but that would make it virtually impossible to remove, so...

Mister Tom
2016-08-03, 11:43 AM
In chess, Zugzwang is actually defined as a losing position that you can't get out of unless the other player screws up. I considered giving it indestructible instead of shroud, but that would make it virtually impossible to remove, so...

Technical chess point, but not really.

In most chess positions, either side would benefit if it were their turn to move ( there will be a legal move that improves their position).

(Mutual) Zugzwang occurs when one (or both) players would be at a disadvantage if it were their turn to move. It doesn't necessarily lose you the game (it might just draw it - or just weaken your position).

A position you can't get out of unless your opponent screws up is just a lost position. I'll shut up now

Fable Wright
2016-08-03, 11:46 AM
Removed the ability. It was making the card too busy anyways.

I made the card specifically so that it's hard to remove. In chess, Zugzwang is actually defined as a losing position that you can't get out of unless the other player screws up. I considered giving it indestructible instead of shroud, but that would make it virtually impossible to remove, so...

Right. A few questions for you.

1. Why did you make a 3 mana card that literally acts as an auto-win against burn decks?
2. Why did you make a 3 mana card that literally acts as an auto-win against BG/x decks?
3. Why did you make a 3 mana card that literally acts as an auto-win against Storm decks?
4. Why did you make a 3 mana card that literally acts as an auto-win against Affinity decks?
You get the picture.

Basically, the three answers I can find to this in the Modern metagame are to either ultimate Karn, Emrakul the defending player until they're forced to sacrifice this enchantment, or run something like Cyclonic Rift. This thing basically forces people to main multiple copies of nontargeted Enchantment destruction or they lose on turn 3, and even then, its presence can stall the game ridiculously and it's an auto-4-of in anything approaching a control deck. It invalidates the existence of aggro or midrange decks in any format it's in. It's Yawgmoth's Will/Necropotence levels of broken. Why make this card?

Ealon
2016-08-03, 12:09 PM

I'm a bit late to this, but I would like to point out that self discarding effects is a Blue thing as well as a Black thing. I can think of Mind over Matter off the bat and after a quick gather search, there are lots of example of older (pre-Time Spiral) blue cards with self discard as well as some modern cards like Stitchwing Skaab. I also point this out so that the judge fairly rates Deep Blue

1. Why did you make a 3 mana card that literally acts as an auto-win against burn decks?
2. Why did you make a 3 mana card that literally acts as an auto-win against BG/x decks?
3. Why did you make a 3 mana card that literally acts as an auto-win against Storm decks?
4. Why did you make a 3 mana card that literally acts as an auto-win against Affinity decks?

My thought as well. Even without shroud lots of decks just don't pack enchantment hate to the level that is needed for this card.

Also, the argument made for what Zugzwang is don't not make since with this card. If I'm I getting my opponent into a Zugzwang, why does the card let me make as many tactical blunders as possible w/o repercussion? ?:smallconfused:?

Maybe you should rework it to give you a tactical advantage (like free scrys on upkeep and creature buffing) but give it a sac clause for when you make a mistake, like take more than x damage in a single turn.

Ionbound
2016-08-03, 02:24 PM
Even then, one of the many non-land permanent wraths or bounces and then you win.

This is true. However, it's still a two-card combo that costs nine mana over two colors, or eleven in one (cyclonic rift), which is utterly vulnerable to disruption. There are better combos that basically say 'I win the game', even though they don't say it directly.

EDIT: Actually, not even that. To be absolutely certain you have to play Planar Cleansing effects, which cost six mana, at a minimum. So eleven-mana, two card combo that's vulnerable to normal disruption as well as any permanent with Flash. Certainly less good than, say, Twin or Storm.

CantigThimble
2016-08-03, 02:39 PM
Pawn 1R
Creature - Construct U
Haste, Frenzy 3
1R: Deal 3 damage to target blocking creature that is not blocking Pawn. Activate this ability only once each turn and only if Pawn is attacking.
0/3

The haste represents the pawn's ability to move two spaces in the first turn. This could be a powerful rush creature but only if your opponent has no blockers so I think the cost is fine even though this thing hits pretty hard.

Blue Ghost
2016-08-03, 02:53 PM
This is true. However, it's still a two-card combo that costs nine mana over two colors, or eleven in one (cyclonic rift), which is utterly vulnerable to disruption. There are better combos that basically say 'I win the game', even though they don't say it directly.

EDIT: Actually, not even that. To be absolutely certain you have to play Planar Cleansing effects, which cost six mana, at a minimum. So eleven-mana, two card combo that's vulnerable to normal disruption as well as any permanent with Flash. Certainly less good than, say, Twin or Storm.

There's also the factor that it immediately ends the game when cast with no recourse. Regardless of the power level, that's not very fun. Consider making it an enchantment with a triggered ability a la Battle of Wits?

The_Tentacle
2016-08-04, 09:20 AM
Sacrifice Play 1BB
Sorcery (R)
As an additional cost to cast Sacrifice Play, sacrifice a creature.
Target opponent chooses creatures he or she controls with total power less than the sacrificed creature's power, then sacrifices them. (If they don't have enough power, then he or she must sacrifice them all.)

First of all, I think you mean "total power greater than the sacrificed creatures power," or the opponent can just choose no creatures (I think) or just one small creature.

Second of all... it's a quite a bit similar to my card, no? I don't know if there are any official rules about it, but personally I try very hard not to make any cards that are similar to the cards of others...

tgva8889
2016-08-04, 04:20 PM
It is, my mistake. I was only looking to see if anyone had made a card with the same name. I'll just do something else.

Mister Tom
2016-08-05, 11:49 AM
a few ideas, and an entry.
----

Pawn's Destiny - Cost 1W
Enchantment - Aura - Rare

Enchant target creature with converted mana cost less than 3.
At the start of each of your turns, place a Destiny counter on enchanted creature. 5 or more Destiny counters grant it +10/+5 and Vigilance.

Play as Black - Cost B
Enchantment- Rare

B,T: lose X life. You may exchange up to X B from your mana pool for any other colour at any point during your turn. Any spells cast with this mana are treated as being Black.

The most potent magic is your own blood. -Beck, the Black Mage

Play as White - Cost W
Enchantment- Rare

W,T: All other players gain X life. You may exchange up to X W from your mana pool for any other colour this turn. Any spells cast with this Mana are treated as being White.

Fianchetto- Cost 2UW
Sorcery - Rare

Exile a Creature from your hand as an additional cost to cast ~.
Target Wall gains +3/+3 and Reach.
A defence fit for a King.

Gambit Pawn 1U
Creature - Minion (Blue, Uncommon)

When ~ leaves the battlefield, its controller draws three cards and puts two of them on the bottom of their library.

1/1

< as opposed to a sacrifice, a gambit is the exchange of material for a developmental lead, usually early in the game.>

Ealon
2016-08-05, 12:12 PM
I'm surprised that with the different card ideas for pawns none have used the renowned mechanic.

CantigThimble
2016-08-05, 01:34 PM
I'm surprised that with the different card ideas for pawns none have used the renowned mechanic.

I considered it but Renowned really doesn't reflect the difficulty of getting a pawn across the board and it's really hard to balance the increase in power level becoming a queen gives. It would need to gain something like 4 power, flying and trample meaning pawns would need to be really expensive terrible creatures to justify something like that. It could work something like the Ordeals from Theros but I think it's more interesting to represent the normal uses of a pawn rather than the extreme case.

LastCenturion
2016-08-05, 01:44 PM
Here I'll throw together something quick:

Pawn - 1
Creature - Knight - C
Renown 6 (When this creature deals combat damage to a player and is not renowned, it gets +6/+6 and becomes renowned)
If your opponent is capable of blocking this creature, they must do so.
1/1

I know the last ability is broken, but I had like five minutes free to write this. Sorry.

Fable Wright
2016-08-05, 01:53 PM
Here I'll throw together something quick:

Pawn - 1
Creature - Knight - C
Renown 6 (When this creature deals combat damage to a player and is not renowned, it gets +6/+6 and becomes renowned)
If your opponent is capable of blocking this creature, they must do so.
1/1

I know the last ability is broken, but I had like five minutes free to write this. Sorry.

So, in limited. I play this on turn 1. Then it's the opponent's turn, and like most limited decks, they do not have a turn 1 play. Then I hit them and they have to deal with a 7/7 or lose immediately and drastically. Maybe if it costs 3 mana for a 1/1, but that would still require playtesting based off of the number of unblockability effects in Standard or Limited.

LastCenturion
2016-08-05, 02:55 PM
I made that card in about five minutes because I had to run to a meeting. I'll make a more thought-out version now.

Pawn - 1
Artifact Creature - C
Renown 2 (When this creature deals combat damage to a player and is not renowned, it gains +2/+2 and is now renowned)
This creature has +1/+1 for each creature named Pawn on the battlefield that is not renowned.
0/0

It doesn't promote, but I still think it's a decent mechanic for a pawn to have. Really good in formation, but when it attacks and moves out of formation the whole pawn structure is diminished.

r2d2go
2016-08-06, 05:09 AM
Steps Ahead XU
Instant - U
Look at target player's hand.
Scry X.
Draw a card.
I've already won.

(figure potential as a mana sink is less valuable than potential to be free :smalltongue: looking at you, gitaxian probe).

Ealon
2016-08-06, 01:00 PM
Steps Ahead XU
Instant - U
Scry X. Look at target player's hand and the top X cards of their deck.
Draw a card.

(figure potential as a mana sink is less valuable than potential to be free :smalltongue: looking at you, gitaxian probe).

So, a strictly better Peek :smallconfused: Also, have you ever seen the card Spy Network? Because the problems I have with that card are apparent in this card.:smallsmile:

There are two problems I see with this card, first is the amount of information that is revealed. In paper magic, people take the time to write down the order of cards and what card are in hand vs. on top of deck. Second is that you are trying to have the player look at the top x cards of a library without reordering the cards. This opens cheating potentials. Also, when cast against you, having your opponent grab cards from your deck and look at them feels intrusive. (it's worth noting that a card that lets you look at cards on the top your opponents library hasn't been printed in a long time.)

Personally, I would either remove "top X cards of their deck." clause or balance it to allow reordering by a player.

r2d2go
2016-08-07, 07:37 AM
Most playable cards are strictly better than something. Still, you have a point, especially if no card has been printed with looking but not rearranging cards. The main issue was that my original version (just Scry X) was really boring and mediocre. I think Scry X and look at hand is... probably ok though. Eh.

LastCenturion
2016-08-07, 12:42 PM
Is judgement day soonish? I'm going to change my entry, if it's not too close.

Luft - 1W
Enchantment - R
Flash, Indestructible
On your upkeep, sacrifice this enchantment.
Creatures cannot attack.

White Knight - 2W
Creature - Knight - U
Your opponents may not assign any blockers to ~, except as below.
Once per turn, during the declare blockers step, you may choose a creature. Your opponent must assign that creature as a blocker to ~.
Renown 1
2/2

Black Knight - 2B
Creature - Knight - U
Deathtouch, Menace
Renown 1
2/2

I realize that neither Menace nor Renown are typically Black keywords, but I don't care. I don't want to make this card more complex than it is already.

Fable Wright
2016-08-07, 01:31 PM
Rukh of Many Lands URG
Legendary CreatureóHuman Artificer
At the start of combat on your turn, choose an untapped creature you don't control. ~ can only be blocked by that creature this combat.
{T}: If ~ is not blocking a creature, exile him, then return him to the battlefield blocking target creature attacking you.
4/4
"Land, sea, or sky... there's always a new path, and a new destination."

I've always been fascinated by the fact that the Rook has been represented as a chariot in Persia, a tower, a siege engine, and even viking longboats. Makes you wonder what crazy person has traveled in all of them, and keeps building more. :smalltongue:

mystic1110
2016-08-08, 08:17 AM
Judging up later today or earlier tomorrow

Ninjaman
2016-08-09, 08:32 AM
I realize that neither Menace nor Renown are typically Black keywords, but I don't care. I don't want to make this card more complex than it is already.

Menace replaced intimidate, it is actually very black.

While there is only 10 black cards with menace, one of which is also red so it doesn't really count, compared to 32 red cards, 8 of the black cards are from after the ability was keyworded, while only 9 red cards with menace have been printed after the ability was keyworded.
Before being keyworded menace was always a red ability, but after being keyworded it is black too.

mystic1110
2016-08-09, 10:14 AM
Capture the Enemy 2G
Enchantment - R
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may have target creature you control fight target creature you don't control. You may do this once for each creature you control or for each creature your opponent(s) controls, whichever is lower.
Creatures you control that have fought an opponent's creatures cannot attack this turn.
Rule one: Capture the enemy's pieces...

I think a repeatable fight card is too strong . . . look at Arena. And contested cliffs. . . at the best you need to spend at least 3 mana each turn in order to get a creature to fight another creature., this lets you do it free and it lets you do it for each creature. Other way to look at it is that it gives all your creatures Provoke for 2G . . . which still seems too strong.

Fortified Castle -- 2WW
Creature -Wall [R]
Defender
Planeswalkers you control are indestructible.
0/5
Protect the King!

As rare walls go, this seems lackluster Ė I donít have much comment on this. It seems like it could be a card that is printed, but one that I would hate to pull.

Games With Death 1BB
Enchantment - R
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, clash with an opponent. If you win, return that creature card from your graveyard to your hand. (Each clashing player reveals the top card of his or her library, then puts that card on the top or bottom. A player wins if his or her card had a higher converted mana cost.)

I like the seventh seal imagery and that is an excellent chess motive to look at. The card itself looks very balanced, probably too expensive for how hard it is to activate. One problem though is, since clash allows you to keep the card on the top of your library, you can presumably find a way to keep a loop going if you have a high CMC card on top of the library. Something like casting blood pet over and over again for a lethal tendrils. That sounds like fun. Probably too much work to make it worth it.

Promote to Queen 2GG
Sorcery - U
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a token creature that dealt combat damage to a player this turn.
Create a 8/8 green Human creature token.

I was expecting this card! Probably would have made more sense if instead of any token creature it referenced a 1/1 creature, since tokens could be 2/2ís or 4/4ís and the card is less explosive. However I think itís a great card that makes sense flavor wise and power level wise.

Emeria's Game 4W
Enchantment (MR)
You control which creatures block each combat and how those creatures block.
At the end of your turn, exile a card from your graveyard or sacrifice ~
"They're all my pieces. They always were. I just no longer want to play"

So itís a permanent master Warcraft? I would think it would be more expensive that 4W. I donít think the exile clause saves it. . . this card is two powerful as itís essentially ďcanít be attackedĒ and removal at the same time. Maybe the sac clause could have been discard a card/canít draw like sanctuary?

Spirit Pin 3
Artifact (U)
At the beginning of each playerís upkeep, choose target creature. Whenever that creature attacks or blocks, you may destroy another target creature with the same controller. If you do, sacrifice Spirit Pin.
Thrust into the heart of the effigy, it strikes at what the victim most loves.

I do get the reference, and I like how you translated being pinned into magic! This is a great card! My only problem is that it might be too strong of a removal spell as colorless uncommon card. Most colorless uncommon removal is damage based and not nearly as efficient. I guess with this as a punisher mechanic it makes more sense and is more balanced.

Favored Hop-Knight 1W
Creature- Human Knight C
Heroic- Whenever you cast a spell that targets Favored Hop-Knight, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it gains flying until end of turn.
"Wait, say that again?"
-Gideon, overhearing reports of rogue hoplites
2/2

It seems like a fine common and I get the knight hopping flavor Ė everything about this card just seems. . . fine. No complaints.

Bishops' Duel- 1R
Instant- U
Until end of turn, creatures can only block creatures with which they share a color.

This is a great uncommon that translates playing with bishops surprisingly well. Iím actually surprised this effect doesnít already exist!

Leyline of Impulse 2RR
Enchantment R
If ~ is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
Whenever a nonland card is put into a player's hand, he or she must pay all of that card's casting cost to cast it the next time he or she is able to this turn.
"Touch move!"

What does this card mean? Are you talking about cards drawn by players? Then you would need a clause that cards drawn must be revealed? Are you talking about cards returned to the hand from play? And what does the second half of the clause mean . . . does it force players to cast cards that theyíve drawn/or got returned to their hand? What if they cant? What if there are additional costs?

Rivaled King 3WB
Hexproof
2/4

Doesnít the token . . . being legendary . . . trigger the legendary rule and make this a 3WB gain 10 life, opponent loses 10 life 2/4 hexproof? If not . . . I guess thatís an interesting card, where both players have this giant target out, but that target has hexproof. I think that is pretty cool.

Welcome to the Game 5WWW
Sorcery R
Create 8 1/1 white human soldier creature tokens with flanking, 2 2/2 white human knight creature tokens with vigilance, 2 2/2 white human cleric creature tokens with lifelink, 2 2/4 wall creature tokens with defender, a 4/4 white angel creature token with flying, lifelink and vigilance and a 1/1 human warrior creature token onto the battlefield under your control..

King probably should have ďIf this dies, lose the gameĒ :P! That might balance out that card then . . . since youíre getting . . . 25 power for only 8 mana with this spell. . . . this is crazy! This card wins the game the next turn, and prevents you from losing through combat damage I would think. . . . this can block original Emrakul even after the annihilation sac and win!

Deep Blue 4

Legendary Artifact - R

U, Discard a card: Choose one-

Target creature becomes unblockable until end of turn.
Target creature must attack this turn if able.
Target creature must block this turn if able.

"Checkmate."

I would think the must attack is a red ability and the must block is a green ability. . . would have made more sense to separate them. I think making them blue just because of the name isnít sufficient. If you want to have kept it all blue abilities, you couldíve maybe used a brainstorm effect to show how far ahead the AI was thinking.

Castling 2W
Instant - U
Remove target blocking creature you control from combat. Another creature you control gains +2/+4 until end of turn and blocks all creatures blocked by that creature.
"Moves the king into a safer position and it moves the rook to a more active position, seems like a good opening."

I sort of got it without the new rules . . . itís basically a blocking version of ninjutsu . . . and using another creature in play. I only donít get why the new creature is still considered blocking the old creature it was already blocking. Additionally. . . castling canít be done while under attack or through an attack so itís actually kind of funny that this card can only be done while under attack. Other than that. . . itís a interesting ability, but I would think that it could have gone without the buff, as the switch is confusing enough as it is. However, I donít think the switch is that powerful . . . in the end its basically ďTarget creature can block up to one additional creature EOT, and blocking restrictions donít apply to that creature EOTĒ

Queen Trade {GB}
Instant (R)
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a creature.
Each opponent sacrifices a creature with power greater than or equal to the sacrificed creature's power.
"Shall we?"

Very surprised that this effect doesnít already exist. Well palyed!

Scholar's Mate-3UU

Sorcery-R

Only cast this if your opponent control a non-land permanent of the same name for each non-land permanent you control, and no other non-land permanents.

You win the game.

This card is funny, but . . . man . . . who would ever play it? Realistically it could only be used in a counter heavy deck that has wrath effects . . . basically trying to clear the board to cast this to win. . . which kinda defeats the purpose and flavor of this card.

Superior Strategy - 1RW
Enchantment - R
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you choose if target creature blocks this combat and how it blocks.

Another card that tries to be a permanent master Warcraft, expect this is so much more balanced. It either lets you provoke 1 creature or make one of your creatures unblockable. However, in a competition where many people went all out with chess flavor, I find this card sort of lacking as itís too generic. Itís a good card though.

Pawn 1R
Creature - Construct U
Haste, Frenzy 3
1R: Deal 3 damage to target blocking creature that is not blocking Pawn. Activate this ability only once each turn and only if Pawn is attacking.
0/3

Huh . . . I donít really understand this card. You attack with a 0/3 . . . if it gets blocked itís a 3/4 . . if it doesnít get blocked for another 1R it deals 3 damage. I donít really understand why itís a pawn .. . . but outside flavor . . . this is a 1R card that will deal 3 damage no matter what to at least one creature . . . and if it is blocked deals 3 damage to 2 creatures. . . and people must block it eventually or else itís just repeatable 3 damage. I think this card is undercosted for what it does, which is being a very scary efficient repeatable damage engine in limited.

Fianchetto- Cost 2UW
Sorcery - Rare

Exile a Creature from your hand as an additional cost to cast ~.
Target Wall gains +3/+3 and Reach.
A defence fit for a King.

Additional cost?! Is the bonus supposed to be permenant? If so we run into memory issues Ė if it is not . . . man is this a terrible card. . . itís an expensive and narrow combat trick that isnít very good. Even without memory issues, if it is permenant it is still an expensive and narrow combat trick that isnít very good.

Steps Ahead XU
Instant - U
Look at target player's hand.
Scry X.
Draw a card.
I've already won.
).

Surprised there is no vanilla Scry X card . . . This seems balanced enough - I mean this is worse than ponder. . . but, I guess in high tide this could be used to search out brainfreeze and draw it. . . but realistically the cards that just draw you X would be used. . .

Luft - 1W
Enchantment - R
Flash, Indestructible
On your upkeep, sacrifice this enchantment.
Creatures cannot attack.

So . . . is this just a fog? Iím confused also I donít really get how this represents a left which is a square left by a pawn move into which a castled king may move. I guess you can be annoying and recur this with auramancer type cards, but I donít think that would be worth it. This would be very annoying with Eon Hub.

Rukh of Many Lands URG
Legendary CreatureóHuman Artificer
At the start of combat on your turn, choose an untapped creature you don't control. ~ can only be blocked by that creature this combat.
{T}: If ~ is not blocking a creature, exile him, then return him to the battlefield blocking target creature attacking you.
4/4
"Land, sea, or sky... there's always a new path, and a new destination."

I like the reference of different Rook imagery. This seems like a powerful card Ė for three mana you get a 4/4 that can block any creature (except unblockable creatures I guess?), and can basically be unblockable. . . I donít know why a rook would be an artificer though?

I thought over all this was a great round! Most cards were well balanced and original takes on some ideas. An honarable mention goes to Dr. Gunsforhands for a seventh seal reference

Turboghast with the simple but evocative Promote to Queen!

Mythmonster2 with the "why hasn't this been done before" Bishops' Duel!

Blue Ghost with the Great Spirit Pin!

CantigThimble
2016-08-09, 10:46 AM
The flavor behind pawn was that it never hurts the thing directly in front of it. It only attacks things diagonally, meaning things that are in combat but not directly in front of pawn. If you block it with a 3 power creature then it dies and does nothing, it only does anything if you either don't block it or block something else. It's designed to bounce off of creatures repeatedly and it will never do anything unless your opponent lets it or is forced to, just like in chess.

Ealon
2016-08-09, 11:11 AM
Congrats Blue Ghost ghost!

I think there where some cards you mis-read:

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart
Rivaled King 3WB
Hexproof
2/4The legend rule from M10M14 to today only applies to permanents you control, since the token is given to your opponent, it doesn't trigger.

Pawn 1R
Creature - Construct U
Haste, Frenzy 3
0/3Frenzy triggers when unblocked, not blocked. So its if it unblocked, it's a 3/4, if it's blocked its a 0/3, and if it attacked at all. it can shoot another creature that is blocking one of your creatures.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-08-09, 11:19 AM
I would think the must attack is a red ability and the must block is a green ability. . . would have made more sense to separate them. I think making them blue just because of the name isnít sufficient.
Not necessarily. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=276475)

LaZodiac
2016-08-09, 11:41 AM
Congrats to the winner!

A question about my card: Where does it say "can't attack"? You control how your creatures block all the time anyway so this doesn't effect how they can attack into you. All it really does it let you decide how THEIR creatures block when YOU attack, which IS pretty strong, yeah, but I feel it's worth 4W given Odric has this ability if him and two friends attack and he costs 2WW. I'm not questioning your judgement I'm just curious where you're coming from on it.

Also, I did originally have it as a discard or sac cost, but I decided exile would be more flavorful considering who it is.

Blue Ghost
2016-08-09, 12:58 PM
Thanks!

New contest:
Make a card with a mechanic that debuted in Conspiracy. Those mechanics are draft-affecting cards, conspiracies, will of the council, parley, and dethrone.

LastCenturion
2016-08-09, 02:05 PM
This one seems pretty obvious, but I'm making it. I might make a new one later.

Usurper - 1RW
Creature - Human - C
Dethrone
Lifelink
3/3

Emissarial Nonsense - UUU
Enchantment - R
~ enters the battlefield with 3 Argument counters on it.
Remove 2 Argument counters from ~: Parley - Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each nonland card revealed this way, a creature you choose gets -2/-0 until the end of turn.
Whenever a creature dies, put an Argument counter on ~.

LaZodiac
2016-08-09, 03:28 PM
Hanging Spree 2WB
Sorcery (R)
Tempting Offer - Choose target creature. Each opponent may choose target a creature. For each opponent that does, choose another target creature.
Will of the Council - Starting with you, each player votes Execute or Stay. If Execute gets more votes, destroy all targeted creatures. If Stay gets more votes or the vote is tied, tap all targeted creature. They don't untap at the beginning of their controller's next turn.

braveheart
2016-08-09, 04:14 PM
This one seems pretty obvious, but I'm making it. I might make a new one later.

Usurper - 1UW
Creature - Human - C
Dethrone
Lifelink
3/3

What about this is blue, red was the other main color for dethrone, and fits your card better I think, at least by flavor

r2d2go
2016-08-09, 04:33 PM
Bureaucratic Certainty WB
Instant - U
Will of the Council - Starting with you, each player votes for Death or Taxes. If Death gets more votes, each other player sacrifices a creature. If Taxes gets more votes, or the vote is tied, you gain 5 life for each player that voted for Taxes.
"You'd think it's hardly a choice." - Gavon, Tax Collector

Jormengand
2016-08-09, 04:46 PM
Kasha, False Underdog 4RR
Legendary creature - Human Soldier MR
Dethrone, Dethrone, Dethrone
When Kasha, False Underdog enters the battlefield, if you have the most life among players, lose life until your life total is 1 lower than that of the player with the second-most life.
Whenever a player with the most life loses life, you lose that much life.
"But tell me, Kasha, when this revolution is no longer necessary, who will you be?"
"The revolution will always be necessary. I'll make it necessary."
2/2

Yes, you can still become the player with the most life using life gain.

Ionbound
2016-08-09, 05:05 PM
Temptation of Undeath-2BBB

Sorcery-R

Will of the Council-Each player votes Rebirth or Death. If Rebirth wins, each player that voted Rebirth puts all creature cards in their graveyard onto the battlefield under their control. If Death wins or the vote is tied, destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.

TurboGhast
2016-08-09, 07:55 PM
Burning Secret
Conspiracy - U
Hidden Agenda (Start the game with this conspiracy face down in the command zone and secretly name a card. You may turn this conspiracy face up any time and reveal the chosen name.)
Creatures you control with the chosen name have "R: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn. Activate this ability no more than thrice per turn."

I have no clue where to put the mana cost so that the card's balanced. I've considered both R and 1R as alternate costs, but since no other conspiracy requires mana of a specific color to play, I've decided on using 2.
I'm also considering adding a "Activate this ability no more than _ times per turn" clause to the card to put a cap on its surprise potential. For now, I've decided not to because the mana cost already adds a natural cap to the card, and using this as a surprise game ender requires you to get a creature to your opponent's face anyway.

EDIT: Now that Conspiracy 2: Take the Crown has broken the barrier of colored conspiracy costs, I've decided to do so as well. Cost to activate ability from 2 -> R, added "Activate this ability no more than thrice per turn."

LastCenturion
2016-08-09, 08:21 PM
What about this is blue, red was the other main color for dethrone, and fits your card better I think, at least by flavor

Oh. I looked at like two examples of dethrone and they were blue. I'll change it, because Red also fits the flavor better, as you say.

mythmonster2
2016-08-09, 08:23 PM
Plan for War- 4WR
Enchantment- R
Will of the Council- When Plan for War enters the battlefield, each player votes for Offense or Defense. If Defense gets more votes, creatures can't attack. If Offense gets more votes or the vote is tied, each creature must attack each turn if able.

War is not a place for half-measures.

tgva8889
2016-08-09, 11:05 PM
Constant Companion 4
Conspiracy Creature - Human Advisor (C)
(Start the game with this conspiracy face up in the command zone.)
You may cast Constant Companion from the command zone.
2/2

LaZodiac
2016-08-09, 11:11 PM
Since targeting things is not actually a game action, I believe the template you want is "Choose target creature." (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376545)

Persistent Assistant 4
Conspiracy Creature - Construct (C)
You may cast Persistent Assistant from the command zone.
2/2

Yes, right, thanks.

tgva8889
2016-08-09, 11:18 PM
Of course, not a problem. Last time I made a card like that it took me half an hour to figure out how to word it properly. :smallsmile:

mystic1110
2016-08-11, 11:36 AM
Stuttering Peace Talks U
Instant C
Parley ó Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. Counter target spell unless its controller pays {1} for each nonland card revealed this way. Then each player draws a card.
"Parley? Damn to the depths whatever muttonhead thought up 'parley'!"

Blue Ghost
2016-08-11, 01:07 PM
I'd like to point out that part of the parley mechanic is "each player draws a card."

mystic1110
2016-08-11, 01:31 PM
I'd like to point out that part of the parley mechanic is "each player draws a card."

Ah good point. . . I'll just add it to the card. Don't think the rarity should change since then its just half a Vision Skeins - and the draw might cancel out the 40% chance of better Forcespike. . .

braveheart
2016-08-11, 03:45 PM
The Fortold King 2WR
Creature - Human - R
Dethrone
As long as you have the highest life total, The Fortold King has vigilance, and lifelink.
3/3

LastCenturion
2016-08-13, 10:54 PM
Umm... I might be miscounting the days but... shouldn't judgement be soon-ish?

ben-zayb
2016-08-14, 11:01 AM
Scapegoat Court 1WR
Enchantment U
Will of the Council - Remove two +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Each player votes for Retribution or Reparation. If Retribution gets more votes, ~ deals 3 damage to target creature. If Reparation gets more votes or the vote is tied, target player gains 3 life.

Ninjaman
2016-08-14, 04:19 PM
Golrag, the Shaper - 3RG
Legendary Creature - Elemental - M
Trample
Will of the counsil - When Golrag, the Shaper enters the battlefield, each player votes creation of destruction. If destruction gets the most votes, each player sacrifices two lands. If creation gets the most votes or the vote is tied, each player searches his or her library for two basic land cards and puts them onto the battlefield tapped.
5/5

Blue Ghost
2016-08-14, 05:27 PM
Umm... I might be miscounting the days but... shouldn't judgement be soon-ish?

Still two more days.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-08-14, 07:16 PM
Booked Venue
Land - C
When you draft Booked Venue, reveal it and name a color. Note the color you named.
T: Add one mana to your mana pool of any color you noted when drafting a card named Booked Venue.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-08-15, 04:49 AM
Royal Vault Thief 2BR

Creature - Human Rogue - U

Dethrone

Whenever you would draw a card, you may instead have each player with the most life discard a card.

2/2

Ealon
2016-08-15, 11:58 AM
Feign Death
Conspiracy - U

Hidden agenda (Start the game with this conspiracy face down in the command zone and secretly name a card. You may turn this conspiracy face up any time and reveal the chosen name.)

Whenever a creature you control with the chosen name dies, shuffle it into your library.

Ealon
2016-08-16, 12:25 PM
Golrag, the Shaper - 3RG
Trample
Will of the counsil - When Golrag, the Shaper enters the battlefield, each player votes creation of destruction. If destruction gets the most votes, each player sacrifices two lands. If creation gets the most votes or the vote is tied, each player searches his or her library for two basic land cards and puts them onto the battlefield tapped.
5/5

I think council is spelled with a C (Though I approve of your motion to remove the letter C from the alphabet.)

mystic1110
2016-08-16, 12:29 PM
I think council is spelled with a C (Though I approve of your motion to remove of he letter C from the alphabet.)

"For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Generally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeiniing voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x"ó bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez ótu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivili.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld."

- Mark Twain

Ealon
2016-08-16, 03:56 PM
"For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Generally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeiniing voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x"ó bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez ótu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivili.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld."

- Mark Twain

Sarcasm aside, he's not wrong.

Blue Ghost
2016-08-17, 12:12 AM
The council has decided! (The council being myself.)

Emissarial Nonsense - UUU
Enchantment - R
~ enters the battlefield with 3 Argument counters on it.
Remove 2 Argument counters from ~: Parley - Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each nonland card revealed this way, a creature you choose gets -2/-0 until the end of turn.
Whenever a creature dies, put an Argument counter on ~.
First, why is this triple blue? Very heavy color weights are a huge restriction on running and casting a card. In a format like Conspiracy thatís designed for draft, this alone would make it nigh unplayable. If this is run in a typical two-color deck, even one thatís significantly leaning blue, this will be equivalent to a five-mana card, but much more frustrating.
Mechanically, this is an underwhelming combat trick that must be telegraphed in advance, and being able to be reused every once in a while doesnít do enough to make it worth playing. Flavorwise, getting counters on creatures dying isnít really immediately resonant, and requires a good amount of head-twisting for it to make sense.
Parley requires the ďeach player draws a cardĒ clause. Names of counters are not capitalized. Ability words are always written at the beginning of the line, before anything else.

Hanging Spree 2WB
Sorcery (R)
Tempting Offer - Choose target creature. Each opponent may choose target a creature. For each opponent that does, choose another target creature.
Will of the Council - Starting with you, each player votes Execute or Stay. If Execute gets more votes, destroy all targeted creatures. If Stay gets more votes or the vote is tied, tap all targeted creature. They don't untap at the beginning of their controller's next turn.
Now this is interesting. Combining two separate whole-table-chooses mechanics into a single card is a whole lotta politicking. Now, how will this actually play out?
The tempting offer part looks like it could be quite fun. With the existing tempting offer cards, the opponents seldom want to take up the offer, as it will just put you further ahead. But I can see it being fairly easy to strike deals with Hanging Spree to team up with an opponent or two to wipe a common enemyís board. Politics are fragile, though, so this does have a good chance of backfiring.
I donít really see the will of the council part adding much to the gameplay though. It just adds another point of failure to an already hard-to-work card, since a decision of Stay will generally be very low impact. You can only take advantage of a bunch of creatures being tapped down if you have your own creatures to attack with, but in that case youíre putting your own creatures at risk of being chosen for lynching. And adding another layer of voting drastically increases the complexity of the politics, as players will have to use their first vote to try to shape the second vote to go their way. I can see some players loving this, but I think most will be overwhelmed and confused. I think the card would be better off without the second part.

Bureaucratic Certainty WB
Instant - U
Will of the Council - Starting with you, each player votes for Death or Taxes. If Death gets more votes, each other player sacrifices a creature. If Taxes gets more votes, or the vote is tied, you gain 5 life for each player that voted for Taxes.
"You'd think it's hardly a choice." - Gavon, Tax Collector
Will of the council is similar to punisher cards in that your opponents can choose the vote. You can use politics to shape the vote in your favor, but that is situational, so most of the time youíll still expect to have the worse of the two options. This will gain you 10 life (assuming a four-player game), unless the situation is such that youíre not getting much value out of the death option anyway. Thatís not really worth a card. And not really worth an uncommon slot in a draft-oriented set, where multicolor uncommons are scarce and need to be strong enough to worth the color commitment.

Kasha, False Underdog 4RR
Legendary creature - Human Soldier MR
Dethrone, Dethrone, Dethrone
When Kasha, False Underdog enters the battlefield, if you have the most life among players, lose life until your life total is 1 lower than that of the player with the second-most life.
Whenever a player with the most life loses life, you lose that much life.
"But tell me, Kasha, when this revolution is no longer necessary, who will you be?"
"The revolution will always be necessary. I'll make it necessary."
2/2

The idea here is clever, automatically reducing your own life total so that you always have a target for dethroning. But even in a format with dethrone, losing life is still a significant downside, especially when you canít control it. Compare Treasonous Ogre (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=382386), a dethrone card from the original Conspiracy that gives you optional life loss for a benefit.
Kasha can grow quickly, but itíll take her two attacks to grow to be big enough to break even on mana. Two rounds is a long time, especially since Kasha doesnít have haste to speed up the process. And surviving for those two rounds is significantly more difficult in multiplayer than in duels. If Kasha gets picked off before then, you spent 6 mana on a 2/2 that possibly lost you a bunch of life. Even if Kasha does survive and get in the attacks, itíll kill you faster than you kill your target, since you necessarily have less life to start. Itís particularly bad because it doesnít do anything against your other opponents who youíre not attacking immediately, putting you even further behind against them.

Temptation of Undeath-2BBB

Sorcery-R

Will of the Council-Each player votes Rebirth or Death. If Rebirth wins, each player that voted Rebirth puts all creature cards in their graveyard onto the battlefield under their control. If Death wins or the vote is tied, destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.
This is just Magister of Worth (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=382300) without the body. Itís very difficult to set up a game state where either option will benefit you, so without the body to compensate, this is going to backfire on you a significant percentage of the time. Also not getting the triple black; heavy color weights are a huge restriction on a cardís playability, especially in limited formats.

Burning Secret
Conspiracy - U
Hidden Agenda (Start the game with this conspiracy face down in the command zone and secretly name a card. You may turn this conspiracy face up any time and reveal the chosen name.)
Creatures you control with the chosen name have "R: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn. Activate this ability no more than thrice per turn."

This is a pretty marginal ability, and grafting it onto a single creature probably isnít worth a draft pick. I think this is significantly weaker than any of the existing conspiracies. If thereís call for a weak common conspiracy for development purposes, this could work out, but I prefer conspiracies to have higher impact, since Conspiracy sets are pretty much the only time youíll get to play with them.

Plan for War- 4WR
Enchantment- R
Will of the Council- When Plan for War enters the battlefield, each player votes for Offense or Defense. If Defense gets more votes, creatures can't attack. If Offense gets more votes or the vote is tied, each creature must attack each turn if able.

War is not a place for half-measures.
The defense side is powerful, and will shut down any conventional deck without enchantment removal if it passes. And since most decks donít run enchantment removal, this is likely to result in a game where no one can attack, ever. Players may vote for that if itís in their best interest, but itís not going to be fun. The offense side is much more balanced, and can lead to fun gameplay, but you canít always count on players voting for what is the most fun. And itís very seldom that both sides will benefit you, so playing this will more likely than not backfire against you, which is not where you want to be with a 6-mana card.

Constant Companion 4
Conspiracy Creature - Human Advisor (C)
(Start the game with this conspiracy face up in the command zone.)
You may cast Constant Companion from the command zone.
2/2
Conspiracy creatures are an interesting space. I wouldnít want them to be the norm, but I can see putting one in a conspiracy set. This definitely creates some interesting draft decisions; how much draft value would players sacrifice to get a free one-time mana sink in their opening hand? Itís small and not very impactful, but I think it will add quite a bit of interest and fun to the game, so it definitely pulls is weight as a common. I like it.

Stuttering Peace Talks U
Instant C
Parley ó Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. Counter target spell unless its controller pays {1} for each nonland card revealed this way. Then each player draws a card.
"Parley? Damn to the depths whatever muttonhead thought up 'parley'!"
A parley version of Force Spike. I donít have much experience with Force Spike, but itís a very Spike card. Adding in the card draw, and if this card were printed, it might become a Legacy staple. Not having much knowledge of Legacy, Iíd be very careful about printing something like this that could permanently change the face of an eternal format. Quite creative and flavorful, but Iíd definitely want to playtest this extensively before printing it.

The Fortold King 2WR
Creature - Human - R
Dethrone
As long as you have the highest life total, The Fortold King has vigilance, and lifelink.
3/3
A simple and impactful design. It helps you vie for the throne, and once you have it, it gains a set of abilities that helps you hold on to it. This will generate some quite flavorful gameplay, and would probably be a lot of fun.
The flavor could use some work. The title sounds like a legendary creature, but the abilities are far from legendary. I think that this isnít quite splashy enough to be a rare; would be better at uncommon. Iím also not quite comfortable with the color combination for this card. The abilities do demand that it be white/red, but that means that itíll be forced into a single specific deck. And it doesnít seem either splashy enough or build-around enough for a two-color slot in a draft set.

Scapegoat Court 1WR
Enchantment U
Will of the Council - Remove two +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Each player votes for Retribution or Reparation. If Retribution gets more votes, ~ deals 3 damage to target creature. If Reparation gets more votes or the vote is tied, target player gains 3 life.
Normally with will of the council youíd expect to get the weaker of the effects, but since the retribution side only targets a single creature, you can expect most of your opponents to vote for it most of the time, making this quite a powerful repeatable removal spell. Thatís quite a nice reversal of expectations. The activation cost of removing +1/+1 counters is quite strange. A mana activation would probably make this too consistent, and using counters is a way to limit the uses for it. But this would dictate that the white/red draft archetype makes heavy use of +1/+1 counters, which is quite unusual for that color combination. And Iím not seeing the flavor reason why this uses +1/+1 counters..

Golrag, the Shaper - 3RG
Trample
5/5
This is a card in the lineage of Magister of Worth, a powerful creature with a vote for two powerful, but diametrically opposed, effects. Like Magister of Worth, the large body attached makes it possible for either effect to benefit you, either by ramping out even bigger creatures or crippling your opponentsí ability to respond. Not much intrinsic flavor resonance behind voting for making or destroying lands, but I could see a cool supplementary story explaining that.

Booked Venue
Land - C
When you draft Booked Venue, reveal it and name a color. Note the color you named.
T: Add one mana to your mana pool of any color you noted when drafting a card named Booked Venue.
Youíre the only draft-matters entry we received, and it is a good one. Several sets have cards that get better when drafted in multiples, and theyíre always a lot of fun to draft. With a single copy, this is no better than a basic land, so worthless for the deck. With a second copy, itís an excellent dual land. A third copy will enable you to splash for a third color really easily. Picking the first copy is a gamble, but one that could pay off very well. Thatís a neat dynamic, and one that will make the draft a lot more exciting for any player that wants to gamble on it.
Another thing that this card does is signal your colors. Thatís another consideration there. How much is it worth to tell the other drafters your colors? That could go a long way toward making your color choice open, depending on the skill of the rest of your table.
All these different dynamics this adds to the draft add up, making this quite an interesting and fun card.

Royal Vault Thief 2BR

Creature - Human Rogue - U

Dethrone

Whenever you would draw a card, you may instead have each player with the most life discard a card.

2/2
Giving up a draw to make a single player discard a card in a multiplayer game is going to be a bad proposition most of the time, since youíll be down a card relative to most of your opponents. But this could potentially work out, if you have plenty of excess card draw to make it worthwhile. A red/black archetype with a card draw subtheme could be interesting, though it will be hard to make work without blue.

Feign Death
Conspiracy - U

Hidden agenda (Start the game with this conspiracy face down in the command zone and secretly name a card. You may turn this conspiracy face up any time and reveal the chosen name.)

Whenever a creature you control with the chosen name dies, shuffle it into your library.
Itís quite rare that putting a dead creature back into your library will matter at all. There might be some specific cards that you want to use this with, but most of the time itíll be a dead pick. Doesnít do enough to be worth a conspiracy slot, in my opinion.
Dr. Gunsforhands, with Booked Venue!

ben-zayb
2016-08-17, 03:36 AM
I thought the +1/+1 counter flavor is obvious enough, what with Dethrone and the card's name itself: Two dudes wash their hands clean, puts the blame on a different dude, and either the latter is the ine getting punished or the offended/dethroned party gets reparations to appease it.

Basically, this shoudlld be used with dethrone

Ealon
2016-08-18, 01:13 PM
Congrats to Dr. Gunsforhands!

How long should we wait for him to make the next challenge? I have noticed it's been about 37 hours since the council (of one) adjourned.

LastCenturion
2016-08-18, 02:25 PM
I believe the rule is three days before open floor?

r2d2go
2016-08-18, 05:45 PM
I believe the rule is three days before open floor?

In the event that a judge does not immediately post results on judging day, please allow them a 3-day grace period to post their results. If there are still no results 4 days after the judging day, anyone can announce a winner other than themselves.

Technically, it refers to the judge, not the winner. I didn't see any other mention of how much time to wait, so... I'd say it's certainly reasonable to post in 32 hours or so, yeah.

Ionbound
2016-08-18, 09:59 PM
Not gonna lie, I was not aware Magister of Worth was a card. :smallsigh:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-08-19, 07:06 AM
(sorry for the wait, quickly posting from work computer because still busy)

This week, you need to make a card to fill an oddly specific design slot:

Mana cost: 3R
Type: Enchantment
Rarity: Uncommon
Notes: Would be good if it could interact with artifacts (either positively or negatively) and/or fix mana somehow. Can be an aura or a non-aura, and it's also okay to make +1/+1 counters or tokens if you want. You can use any flavor theme, but Enchantment Creatures are not in this set.

Go go go!

mystic1110
2016-08-19, 10:04 AM
Prismatic Trash Heap 3R
Enchantment U
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield its controller may sacrifice it. If they do they may add X mana in any combination of colors to their mana pool, where X is the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost plus two.

LaZodiac
2016-08-19, 10:26 AM
Icon of Purphoros 3R
Enchantment Artifact (U)
Artifact Creatures you control have Menace
R: Target Artifact Creature gets +1+0 until the end of your turn.
The source of all fire, from dying ember to raging flame.

Beelzebub1111
2016-08-19, 11:09 AM
Flames of Birth 3R
Enchantment U
Each Artifact Creature loses the artifact type, becomes Red, and are Elementals in addition to other subtypes.

Red creatures have "R: This creature gains +1/+0 until end of turn"

Sgt. Cookie
2016-08-19, 12:01 PM
Bio-Mechanical Augmentation 3R
Enchantment Artefact U
Artefact creatures you control get +2/+2
T: Return this artefact to your hand, add RR to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast Bestow costs.
Bestow 4RR (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes an enchantment artefact again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Enchanted non-artefact creature becomes an artefact creature and has "T: Target non-creature artefact becomes a 0/0 artefact creature."

mythmonster2
2016-08-19, 12:06 PM
Overchargeó 3R
Enchantmentó Auraó U
Enchant artifact creature.
Enchanted artifact creature gains +3/+3 and has "When this creature dies, deal 3 damage to each player and each other creature."

r2d2go
2016-08-19, 02:07 PM
Scrapyard Strength 3R
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3.
If enchanted creature is an artifact, it gets +2/+0 and Trample.
"...it did say that trespassers are welcome to try."

Reference: Scrapyard Mongrel (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383372)

http://imgur.com/E5PxqX2.png

Ionbound
2016-08-19, 02:57 PM
Cry to the Moon-3R

Enchantment-U

Werewolves you control have +1/+0 and Haste.

At the beginning of each upkeep, you may transform one human werewolf you control.

The purest music is that of the pack under the full moon.

TurboGhast
2016-08-19, 11:09 PM
Scrapyard Inferno 3R
Enchantment (U)
Discard an artifact card: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Based off Seismic Assault (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=129884). If this doesn't feel like the correct rarity, please notify me.

Fable Wright
2016-08-20, 03:11 AM
Enchantment Artefact U
T: Return this artefact to your hand, add RR to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast Bestow costs.
Bestow 4RR (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes an artefact again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Enchanted non-artefact creature becomes an artefact creature and has "T: Target non-creature artefact becomes a 0/0 artefact creature."

This is not how Uncommons work. They can be powerful, but they have to be simple, shouldn't define draft formats, and shouldn't provide effects on the level of a rare (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=194391), plus some. Also, the text doesn't work the way you think it does. 'Enchanted non-artifact creature' is incompatible with 'enchant creature' from Bestow, and if it weren't, it would cause itself to fall off as it would be an illegal enchantment.

LastCenturion
2016-08-20, 09:43 AM
Volcanic Rumbles - 3R
Enchantment - U
Red creatures have Vigilance.
Tap two untapped creatures you control: Add R to your mana pool.
Do you feel it? It's coming!

tgva8889
2016-08-20, 10:02 PM
Molten Recycling 3R
Enchantment (U)
2, Discard an artifact card or sacrifice an artifact: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. If you spent G to activate this ability, put that land onto the battlefield tapped. Otherwise, put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your library.
The land reclaims what is left behind.

Blue Ghost
2016-08-20, 10:24 PM
Daretti's Instigation 3R
Enchantment (U)
Whenever an artifact card is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, Daretti's Instigation deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
"Let the scraps of my creations be fuel for the fire that consumes the city."
--Darett, from discarded speech notes

CantigThimble
2016-08-21, 01:30 AM
Artificer's Seal 3R
Enchantment - U
When Artificer's Seal enters the battlefield add UU to your mana pool.
Sacrifice Artificer's Seal: Add UU to your mana pool and you may untap up to two target artifacts. You may not activate this ability if Artificer's Seal entered the battlefield this turn.

ben-zayb
2016-08-21, 01:49 AM
Royal Vendetta 3R
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has dethrone and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to the monarch."

LaZodiac
2016-08-21, 01:52 AM
Royal Vendetta 3R
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has dethrone and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to the monarch."

Oops this made me the Monarch now and I can't attack with it or I'll blow my face off.

It's a good card, just pointing that interaction out :smallamused:

ben-zayb
2016-08-21, 02:22 AM
Oops this made me the Monarch now and I can't attack with it or I'll blow my face off.

It's a good card, just pointing that interaction out :smallamused:
It's situational in that you can put it in your or your enemy's creatures. Putting it on your dethroner is still an option (maybe not a good one most of the time)

Jormengand
2016-08-21, 02:50 AM
Divert Power to Weapons 3R
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature.
Enchanted creature has "T: This creature deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of artifacts you control."

Passive Pete
2016-08-22, 12:33 PM
Craftshop Charades 3R
Enchantment U
Noncreature nonequipment artifacts you control are X/X artifact creatures in addition to their other types, where X is the number of artifacts you control
2R, discard a card: Investigate

Sorry if I need the investigate reminder text. I'm working on very limited connection now, but it may be added in later.

braveheart
2016-08-22, 01:09 PM
Thoughtless Fortune 3R
Enchantment - U
Whenever a player discards a card, they may draw a card
R: Target player discards a card. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only once each turn.
it's my lucky day

Fable Wright
2016-08-23, 04:00 AM
Steamflogger's Inspiration 3R
Enchantment ó U
At the beginning of each end step, if a Rigger you control assembled two or more contraptions in one turn, choose one:
* ~ deals two damage to target opponent
* Destroy target Contraption you don't control

Ealon
2016-08-23, 04:34 PM
Overcharged Assembly Line 3R
Enchantment - U
Whenever an artifact creature entered the battlefield under your control, it gains +1/+0 and haste until end of turn.
3R: Create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying.
"They come off the belt charged and ready for action!" - Kaladesh Artificer

Ninjaman
2016-08-24, 03:45 PM
Supply Line Sabotage - 3R
Enchantment - U
At the beginning of your end step, target land doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step

Ealon
2016-08-24, 07:32 PM
Enchantment - U
At the beginning of your end step, choose target land. That land doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step.

I considered:
"At the beginning of your end step, target land doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step."
For the wording, but it sounds wrong. Does anyone know which one is correct?

Your consideration is correct. Targeting is choosing.
Cited example, Ajani Vengeant:
"Target permanent doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step."
Other example, Advocate of the Beast:
"At the beginning of your end step, put a +1/+1 counter on target Beast creature you control."

r2d2go
2016-08-24, 09:28 PM
Your consideration is correct. Targeting is choosing.
Cited example, Ajani Vengeant:
"Target permanent doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step."
Other example, Advocate of the Beast:
"At the beginning of your end step, put a +1/+1 counter on target Beast creature you control."

While I think the wording is fine, "Targetting is choosing" isn't true - For example, Stuffy Doll can be used against players with Hexproof (example chosen because it's the top result for "MtG choose vs target).

"Choose target creature" has been used in the past when simply target was awkward or invalid - for example, targeted sacrifice, or Comet Storm, as well as when you want the target chosen before an action is taken, such as in Blast of Genius. However I don't think this is one of those cases, unless Ninjaman thinks it is awkward enough that "choose target creature" is clearer.

Ealon
2016-08-25, 12:38 AM
While I think the wording is fine, "Targetting is choosing" isn't true - For example, Stuffy Doll can be used against players with Hexproof (example chosen because it's the top result for "MtG choose vs target).

Targeting is choosing, choosing is not targeting.

tgva8889
2016-08-25, 07:23 AM
"Choose target [X]" is a valid template, but in the particular case mentioned I believe it is correct not to use it. Therse "Choose target [X]" framing is usually used when a card requires a target for its effect to make any sense, but asks you or other players to perform some sort of game action before the card itself affects the target (if it does at all) or if the number of descriptors applied to the target is too long to put the target description in line with the text. See cards like Erratic Explosion for the first and Grim Return for the second. Fogwalker's template suggests that you don't need to use the "choose" template for this.

Ninjaman
2016-08-25, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the answers guys, I've edited it now.

r2d2go
2016-08-26, 01:27 AM
Just noting that the contest is over in 6 hours. As a heads up so people can get any last edits in, an inb4 people ask, and because I'll be asleep when it actually goes :smalltongue:

Beacon of Chaos
2016-08-26, 08:44 AM
Dragon Soul 3R

Enchantment - Aura - U

Enchant Creature

When ~ enters the battlefield, add RRR to your mana pool.

2RRR: Until end of turn enchanted creature becomes a Dragon, gets +4/+0, and gains flying and trample.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-08-26, 10:24 PM
(Judging will be on Saturday - that is, today or tomorrow depending on your time zone.)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-08-27, 09:06 PM
(The multi-quote button is bugged in a different way than I'm used to tonight. This post is under construction. Please stand by.)

Prismatic Trash Heap 3R
Enchantment U
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield its controller may sacrifice it. If they do they may add X mana in any combination of colors to their mana pool, where X is the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost plus two.
I imagine the intention is for this to be a weird combo piece and not much else. The name is fun, but I don't know if it really has any reason to be prismatic... I can imagine a mysterious recycling machine as an artifact, but this just kind of feels like a garbage fire.

Icon of Purphoros 3R
Enchantment Artifact (U)
Artifact Creatures you control have Menace
R: Target Artifact Creature gets +1+0 until the end of your turn.
The source of all fire, from dying ember to raging flame.
...did Purphoros care about artifact creatures? I don't think so, but I'm not what you'd call a lore expert. I can certainly get behind giving all of my robots flamethrowers and letting them run amok, I just wish I had a card with a name more evocative of how crazy that is.

Flames of Birth 3R
Enchantment U
Each Artifact Creature loses the artifact type, becomes Red, and are Elementals in addition to other subtypes.

Red creatures have "R: This creature gains +1/+0 until end of turn"
I'm trying to imagine who would actually use this card. "Man," this imaginary person would say, "I have all of these sweet artifact creatures, but all of my favorite cards only interact with elementals. If only I could change one or the other in this one painfully specific way." This is clearly more of a story-driven design, and I could perhaps imagine a creature that destroys artifacts and makes elemental tokens out of them, but not in this card slot.

Enchantment Artefact U
Bestow 4RR (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes an enchantment artefact again if it's not attached to a creature.)
The flavor here doesn't work. We could take the concept under consideration for blue or blue-black portion of our imaginary set, but not for this one mono-red slot. Also, why on Earth does it care about bestow?

Overchargeó 3R
Enchantmentó Auraó U
Enchant artifact creature.
Enchanted artifact creature gains +3/+3 and has "When this creature dies, deal 3 damage to each player and each other creature."
Okay, I actually like the flavor and simplicity of this one. The two abilities act at cross-purposes with each other and "enchant artifact creature," is pretty narrow, but there's a market for fun cards that are hard to play.

Scrapyard Strength 3R
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3.
If enchanted creature is an artifact, it gets +2/+0 and Trample.
"...it did say that trespassers are welcome to try."
Simple and fun! I might actually argue that this would work better in the 3R common enchantment slot, but cards do tend to bounce back and forth sometimes. Also, I'm pretty sure no one's going to get the flavor text without the link you posted. (Also, what exactly is this guy, 'trying?' :smalltongue:)

Cry to the Moon-3R
Enchantment-U
Werewolves you control have +1/+0 and Haste.
At the beginning of each upkeep, you may transform one human werewolf you control.
The purest music is that of the pack under the full moon.
I've never been the biggest werewolf fan, and I don't think think that this card nor the other brozillion werewolf-anthems are going to win me over. That said, at least the flavor is pretty spot-on.

Scrapyard Inferno 3R
Enchantment (U)
Discard an artifact card: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
This is actually pretty alright. I can see taking these brilliant plans and spare parts and just rigging them to explode instead of building things properly. Still, even in an environment that supports it, the ability might not be worth it on its own. We might rather move this idea onto a creature or something.

Artificer's Seal 3R
Enchantment - U
When Artificer's Seal enters the battlefield add UU to your mana pool.
Sacrifice Artificer's Seal: Add UU to your mana pool and you may untap up to two target artifacts. You may not activate this ability if Artificer's Seal entered the battlefield this turn.
I'm willing to admit that the mana-fixing part of my note was kind of a trap - 4 mana in red is hardly the place for fixing no matter how you slice it. But, I'm also willing to give you bonus points for going all-in on it. I don't think that quite stops this card from being a mess, though. You pay 4 to get 2, and then you get 2 again one time along with a very minor effect... I guess the burst of acceleration is okay in red and entertaining in izzet, but by the time you get to use it you're at a stage of the game where anything you're accelerating into should have come out already. That much might all be fine if there's a weird Izzet 7-drop that this is flavored around and meant to support... but right now the flavor only seems to point to, "Artificer."

Royal Vendetta 3R
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/tools/img/shows/wiki/theventurebrothers/characters/monarch280.jpg
"I'm taking damage from WHAT?"

- - - Updated - - -

Volcanic Rumbles - 3R
Enchantment - U
Red creatures have Vigilance.
Tap two untapped creatures you control: Add R to your mana pool.
Do you feel it? It's coming!
This one makes me scratch my head. Maybe there's a way to phrase this that doesn't involve a mono-red card that grants vigilance. "Whenever a creature you control attacks, add R to your mana pool. Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end." That effect is still more in green's wheelhouse, but since you're getting the burst specifically from attacking, I can see it being red. That's not quite what you're doing right now, though. It's also certainly not anything a volcano should be doing, unless I've been reading about all the wrong volcanoes. :smalltongue:

Molten Recycling 3R
Enchantment (U)
2, Discard an artifact card or sacrifice an artifact: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. If you spent G to activate this ability, put that land onto the battlefield tapped. Otherwise, put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your library.
The land reclaims what is left behind.
Another, "all in on mana fixing in red," idea. This one's pretty interesting! It's another example of mana acceleration that comes too late in the game for competitive constructed players, but it remains an interesting way to fix mana, and the flavor is spot-on in that it converts cheap or obsolete artifacts into fertilizer. That all still feels a lot like a Green card to me, though, even after accounting for the green optional cost in there.

Daretti's Instigation 3R
Enchantment (U)
Whenever an artifact card is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, Daretti's Instigation deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
"Let the scraps of my creations be fuel for the fire that consumes the city."
--Darett, from discarded speech notes
This is probably a more fitting damage card than the discard outlet from earlier. It actually kind of feels like Guttersnipe, so if Daretti is a Conspiracy goblin of some sort, nice work. I like it, but it kind of has to live in the shadow of the old Affinity decks.

Divert Power to Weapons 3R
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature.
Enchanted creature has "T: This creature deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of artifacts you control."
I think this is a variant on something you made in the Challenge thread, right? This is mechanically sound, but it's hard for me to pin down what exactly is happening from a flavor perspective.

Craftshop Charades 3R
Enchantment U
Noncreature nonequipment artifacts you control are X/X artifact creatures in addition to their other types, where X is the number of artifacts you control
2R, discard a card: Investigate
Since when was anything about this red? I'm not really sure what this card is trying to do in the game world. I think the biggest issue here is that Clue tokens only work in a very specific context; it's okay to just make new artifact tokens for your purposes. I think the purpose you're working with here needs to go to a Rare slot, though.

Thoughtless Fortune 3R
Enchantment - U
Whenever a player discards a card, they may draw a card
R: Target player discards a card. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only once each turn.
it's my lucky day
...huh. This is the reddest discard-love/discard-hate card I've ever seen. It also turns into a card-draw extravaganza when you have more than one out. I'm not sure how to feel about it on its own, but it's way too good at what it does if you have other ways to capitalize on it. Wild Mongrel can be an insta-kill, for instance. Most combos wouldn't be quite so egregious, though, so maybe it's not the end of the world. It's certainly interesting to think about. I might argue for keeping it around and just moving it to a Rare slot.

Steamflogger's Inspiration 3R
Enchantment ó U
At the beginning of each end step, if a Rigger you control assembled two or more contraptions in one turn, choose one:
* ~ deals two damage to target opponent
* Destroy target Contraption you don't control
The Steamflogger Boss joke works because you can ignore the part about the contraptions and still play it. This thing? Not so much.

Overcharged Assembly Line 3R
Enchantment - U
Whenever an artifact creature entered the battlefield under your control, it gains +1/+0 and haste until end of turn.
3R: Create a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying.
"They come off the belt charged and ready for action!" - Kaladesh Artificer
I like this. Simple and good at what it does. Maybe even a tad too good, I was going to say, but four mana for a thopter isn't exactly cheap and it brings nothing to the table on its own, so it might be a newbie trap made specifically to trick me. :smalltongue:

Enchantment - U
At the beginning of your end step, target land doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step
Land destruction minus land destruction. Instead of fixing your mana, it buys you time by, "fixing," your opponent's mana. The flavor is perfect for what it does. It might be too anti-fun to get past the censors, but the more I think about this, the more it grows on me.

Dragon Soul 3R
Enchantment - Aura - U
Enchant Creature
When ~ enters the battlefield, add RRR to your mana pool.
2RRR: Until end of turn enchanted creature becomes a Dragon, gets +4/+0, and gains flying and trample.
I'm scratching my head here, too. In the end, I guess the goal is to use 6 total mana to give something +4/+0 and flying until end of turn, with the option of paying 5 mana to do it again later assuming it survives that long. Honestly, it would have been fine just granting all of those effects permanently; you didn't have to make the player pay more for it each turn. Even with the mana refund, it's not like the aura is giving you too much power too fast.

Best Aura: Scrapyard Strength or Overcharge
Best Mana-fixing: Molten Recycling or Supply Line Sabotage
Best Damage-dealers: Overcharged Assembly Line or Daretti's Instigation

r2d2go
2016-08-28, 12:02 AM
Take your time, Doctor, you've technically got another two days :smalltongue:

braveheart
2016-08-28, 12:16 AM
In retrospect I should have limited my card to the first time you discard a card each turn

(Also can I copy your judging for my sig.?)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-08-28, 01:32 AM
Take your time, Doctor, you've technically got another two days :smalltongue:

It's been over 7 days, and this morning is Sunday, AKA the first day of the week. Plus I still feel bad about making everyone wait for me to post my challenge. :smalltongue:

(Also can I copy your judging for my sig.?)

Sure, if you want? I'm not sure if I can vouch for any of its Sigworthiness.

Anyway, after narrowing the field to about five contenders, at some point I just have to ask myself, "which of these cards did I just like the most, logical arguments be damned?" A few others could easily have won, but tonight that card turned out to be r2d2go's Scrapyard Strength. GG!

LaZodiac
2016-08-28, 01:46 AM
Purphoros doesn't care about artifact creatures but the limitation of "no enchantment creatures" kinda screwed me over there aaaah. I couldn't think of a way to make this be an enchantment that still worked, so I went with the card I went with. I figured since Purphoros makes enchantment artifact creatures this might work flavor wise.

ben-zayb
2016-08-28, 03:09 AM
That was the funniest feedback I had, for better or worse.:smallbiggrin:

Beelzebub1111
2016-08-28, 06:55 AM
To be fair, it foes have its uses if the set has artifact hatred, and it gives them all firebreathing. Also it has a goofy interaction with March of the Machines.

I'd also sideboard it in a goblin deck to use againat to use against artifact synergy.

Ionbound
2016-08-28, 12:23 PM
:smallfrown: What do you have against werewolves, Doc?

Ealon
2016-08-28, 12:43 PM
Congrats r2d2go!

I have to say, I enjoyed reading the feedback for all the cards. Thanks Doc.

r2d2go
2016-08-28, 02:33 PM
Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

The next challenge, in accordance with my YMTC: Challenge style:

Make a symmetric buff, or make an aggressive card. Bonus points for both!

Since bonus points matter a bit more now, I'll loosely define it as a +1 in a scale out of 10. In other words, if you think you can make a card that, in isolation, is an 8/10 design, it's better to use that than trying to make it fit both challenges and ending up with a design that's 6/10 in isolation.

Jormengand
2016-08-28, 03:26 PM
Rise through the Fire RG
Instant U
Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn and rise through the fire deals 1 damage to another target creature.
Those who can wield the flame will rule over those who are burned by it.

The idea is that it can quickly get two potential weak blockers out of the way while still allowing your aggressive creatures to shine, but it's somewhat difficult to cast and even harder to use well.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-08-28, 03:36 PM
Here's RoboRosewater's Entry. (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj0zf7W-eTOAhVYwGMKHTTeCO0QFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Froborosewater%2Fst atus%2F667434968608595968&usg=AFQjCNFmV1XZG3-itkskppnF65LVdP8eXw&sig2=gq7MWj1r1J8pvKa1s8o8Xg)

In a similar vein:

Furious Anthem 1RR
Enchantment - R
Creatures you control get +2/+0.

Blue Ghost
2016-08-28, 10:13 PM
Daretti is the goblin planeswalker from Fiora. His card was released in Commander 2014. My entry was inspired by the recent story (http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/bloody-instructions-2016-08-17) involving him.

tgva8889
2016-08-29, 02:25 AM
Since I have never seen that term, what do you mean by "symmetric buff"? Do you mean +X/+X, or do you mean affects both (all?) players equally, or do you mean something else?

r2d2go
2016-08-29, 10:43 AM
Since I have never seen that term, what do you mean by "symmetric buff"? Do you mean +X/+X, or do you mean affects both (all?) players equally, or do you mean something else?

It's up to you to interpret! Both work.

braveheart
2016-08-29, 10:57 AM
Sacking the Cities 3RR
Enchantment -R
Creatures without defender cannot block.
"There was no battle, only bloodshed."

LastCenturion
2016-08-29, 02:10 PM
EDIT: My first idea was already done. Thanks, Wizards. You stole my idea preemptively. (I'm joking, if that wasn't obvious)

Sultai Ascendant - WUBG
Creature - Zombie Angel - R
If you control more lands than your opponent, Sultai Ascendant has +2/+0 and Lifelink.
If your opponent controls more lands than you, Sultai Ascentdant has +0/+2 and Deathtouch.
If you control the same number of lands as your opponent, Sultai Ascendant has +1/+1 and Flying.
4/4

I figure that the four colors compensate well for the higher-than-average stats and the powerful abilities.
EDIT2: I made a new one in a different post.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-08-29, 02:51 PM
Rise of the Bloody Moon [2RR]
Enchantment [Rare]
All creatures have Provoke.
"Its light drives sane men mad, and mad men madder."

Jormengand
2016-08-29, 03:55 PM
Reverse Gravity - 1U
Instant - U
Until the end of this turn, creatures without Flying have Flying, and creatures with Flying no longer have Flying.
Be careful. Falling up isn't as fun as you'd think.

A version of this which doesn't cause infinite loops already exists (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3435).

mystic1110
2016-08-29, 05:08 PM
Belligerent Terrain RG
Sorcery - Rare
Target land you control becomes a X/X colorless creature where X is the amount of permenants that have the same name as it, and target land of an opponent's choice he or she controls becomes a X/X colorless creature where X is the amount of permenants that have the same name as it. They are still lands. Those two lands fight each other.

Fable Wright
2016-08-29, 05:19 PM
Belligerent Terrain
Land - Rare
{T}: add C to your mana pool
{4}, {T}: Target land you control becomes a X/X colorless creature where X is the amount of permenants that have the same name as itself, and target land of an opponent's choice he or she controls becomes a X/X colorless creature where X is the amount of permenants that have the same name as itself. They are still lands. Those two lands fight each other.

...Repeatable nonbasic land destruction that basically gives you a creature every turn? For basically any mono-colored deck, but especially red Trinisphere?

TurboGhast
2016-08-29, 06:59 PM
Tempt with Strength 1G
Sorcery R
Tempting Offer - Put a +1/+1 counter target creature you control. Each opponent may put a 1/+1 creature on a creature they control. For each opponent that does, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.

mystic1110
2016-08-29, 08:18 PM
...Repeatable nonbasic land destruction that basically gives you a creature every turn? For basically any mono-colored deck, but especially red Trinisphere?

Fair point. Changed it to a sorcery. It's now that ever elusive 2 mana stone rain, but to make it more than just "each player sac's a land" you have to be carefule with your mana base. Also it works better against non-mono colored decks without referincing non-basics :smallsmile:

LastCenturion
2016-08-29, 09:10 PM
A version of this which doesn't cause infinite loops already exists (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3435).

... Okay. Thanks for pointing it out. I made a better different one that still (I think) fits the challenge. I may change it so I can keep the bonus points later on, if I get a better idea.

Beelzebub1111
2016-08-29, 09:40 PM
Modest Equilibrium 2WW
Enchantment R
All creatures Have a base power and toughness of X/X where X is equal to the lower of their power or toughness.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-08-30, 06:17 AM
Fame 2W

Instant - U

Target creature gets +3/+3 and gains indestructible until end of turn.

I'm gonna live forever~

//

Fortune 1UU

Instant - U

The next time target creature you control deals combat damage to a player this turn, draw that many cards.

Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)

LastCenturion
2016-08-30, 09:25 AM
Corrode - 1G
Instant - C
Destroy all Equipment. They can't be regenerated.

Definitely not something you mainboard, but probably decent in a sideboard if equipment ever becomes a big part of the meta. Cost is based on Caustic Caterpillar.

EDIT: changed some stuff because of a very helpful post by Misothene.

Misothene
2016-09-02, 07:10 PM
Modest Equilibrium 2WW
Enchantment R
All creatures Have a base power and toughness of X/X where X is equal to the lower of their power or toughness.

This might be one of the most complicated cards rules-wise since Humility.
I'm not sure it works at all as written. X needs to be a single number, and this sets the P/T to (unknown value) which would then affect future calculations of what that number is.
Imagine I have a 2/3 and a Bonesplitter ("Equipped creature gets +2/+0.") in play. Assuming the enchantment functions, my creature before being equipped, is a 2/2. If I equip the Bonesplitter, is my creature a 4/2? A 3/3? A 2/2? Things get confusing fast.

Corrode - 1G
Instant - C
Destroy all equipment. It can't be regenerated.

Equipment should be capitalized, and I think you meant "they" can't be regenerated. As a side note, given that regeneration is very rare nowadays, and that non-creature regeneration has always been exceedingly rare, this clause might not be necessary.

Fable Wright
2016-09-02, 07:41 PM
Cursed Plunder BBR
Artifact ó R
Creatures you control get +2/-1
Whenever a creature deals damage to you, that creature's controller gains control of ~.
We are cursed men, Miss Turner. Compelled by greed, we were, but now...we are consumed by it.
-Captain Barbossa

Yes, I know the effect doesn't match the curse on the Aztec gold, but it is a very B/R quote that is easily recontextualized towards this effect.

mythmonster2
2016-09-03, 03:12 AM
Playing with dangerous territory here, but the idea wouldn't leave my mind.

Bountiful Knowledge- U
Sorcery- R
Draw up to three cards. For each card you draw this way, each opponent may draw a card.
Knowledge abhors being hoarded.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-09-03, 10:31 AM
Calculated Risk 2RR
Sorcery - R
Cast this spell only before your combat step.
All creatures you control lose defender, gain haste, +3/+0 and first strike until end of turn and must attack this turn if able.
Choose an opponent. At the beginning of that player's upkeep, he or she copies this spell except for this ability and casts it without paying its mana cost.

Ionbound
2016-09-04, 07:21 PM
Arlinn's Calling-1RG

Enchantment-R

Creatures have +X/+Y where X is their power and Y is their toughness if no spells were cast last turn.

When a Planeswalker calls, the whole plane hears her.

Ninjaman
2016-09-05, 04:59 AM
Fright - 2BB
Creature - Avatar - R
Creatures have Menace
4/ 2

r2d2go
2016-09-05, 03:20 PM
Rise through the Fire RG
Instant U
Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn and rise through the fire deals 1 damage to another target creature.
Those who can wield the flame will rule over those who are burned by it.

Itís not awful, but I think it could use a small power boost. Yes, it has 3-for-1 potential at 2 mana (zap an X/1, save your attacker, kill the blocker), but that relies on three separate exact occurrences. I think you could have easily pushed it - add Trample, or make it +2/+2, or make it mono-red and give +2/+1. I do like the idea, and Iím even the type of player where the temptation of 3-for-1s would make me run three of these in draft and then lose, but I think in practice it is not quite strong enough.

Furious Anthem 1RR
Enchantment - R
Creatures you control get +2/+0.

I was entirely expecting something like this :smalltongue: simple, relatively effective, gets bonus points. Thereís not much to say, but itís a solid.

Sacking the Cities 3RR
Enchantment -R
Creatures without defender cannot block.
"There was no battle, only bloodshed."

Seems too expensive to ever get played. Iíd have preferred it as a 3 mana sorcery for 1 turn, which exists in many forms already, or maybe even push the envelope by making it 2 mana, if the defender part is a major drawback in the set (some sort of defender synergy, or just really powerful defenders printed at low rarity?). I like the flavor, though.

Rise of the Bloody Moon [2RR]
Enchantment [Rare]
All creatures have Provoke.
"Its light drives sane men mad, and mad men madder."

Itís probably playable, but I donít know how aggressive it is. Yeah, it lets you get your big guys instead of your small guys through blockers, but would you really play this over, say, Hellrider? The main issue I have is the rift between flavor (which indicates to me design purpose) and gameplay. Yeah, it gets a bunch of people to kill people, but it results in each player taking turns having huge amounts of control over combat. Itís the kind of thing that works great on Odric, Master Tactician, but hereÖ I dunno, Iím not seeing it. I guess the creatures are being made aggressive, flavorwise? But not quite - theyíre given the ability to make other people mad. Eh.

Belligerent Terrain RG
Sorcery - Rare
Target land you control becomes a X/X colorless creature where X is the amount of permenants that have the same name as it, and target land of an opponent's choice he or she controls becomes a X/X colorless creature where X is the amount of permenants that have the same name as it. They are still lands. Those two lands fight each other.

I definitely like this in concept - making the very terrain fight. Itís aggressive, it punishes nonbasic land use which are expensive and not used too much in limited, and itís technically a symmetric buff. Honestly, if this cost 1RG, itíd probably be my favorite card here, if still not necessarily the best designed. Unfortunately, as-is, I think itís too strong - Dropping this turn 3, destroying a land, then swinging in with your new 2/2 is huge. Thatís not even the best case (which is probably Stomping Ground > Stomping Ground + this > watch them cry as you kill their only land). And, even if you save it for later game when you can drop it as a 4/3 or 4/2 haste + destroy a land, wellÖ I think you see the problem.

Also, I think you should use the awaken-type marking with +1/+1 counters, or else you get memory problems.

Tempt with Strength 1G
Sorcery R
Tempting Offer - Put a +1/+1 counter target creature you control. Each opponent may put a 1/+1 creature on a creature they control. For each opponent that does, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.

This feels made for multiplayer (as Tempting Offer generally is), but even there, Iím not seeing it being super strong. Itís rarely going to be more than a +3/+3, and especially if your creature has any synergy (Gyre Sage, Fathom Mage), you can count on this being +1/+1 for 2. Which is, yíknow, really terrible. At 1 mana, or instant speed, I think it could do work, but as-is itís significantly too weak.

Modest Equilibrium 2WW
Enchantment R

...huh? That was my first reaction to this card, and honestly Iím not progressing much past that point. I guess hard-counters Doran the Seige Tower decks, but beyond that, this seems mostly just silly. Also, it doesnít seem aggressive, and is definitely not a buff. Maybe I just donít get it?

Fame 2W

Instant - U

Target creature gets +3/+3 and gains indestructible until end of turn.

I'm gonna live forever~

//

Fortune 1UU

Instant - U

The next time target creature you control deals combat damage to a player, draw that many cards.

Fuse (You may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)

I tried pretty hard to find an issue with this, and there is the slight problem of the Fortune effect being mostly green. Other than that, though, itís excellent - both sides slightly overcosted compared to others of the same kind, but with the type of reactionary effect that makes you willing to pay the cost, a slight synergy when you FuseÖ I guess the flavor could be a little better, or at least a little clearer, but I like it. Even if I would hate all the blue/white decks in limited beating me in the face with it :smalltongue:

Corrode - 1G
Instant - C
Destroy all equipment. It can't be regenerated.

Like you said, this seems like sideboard material. That sort of thing should probably be uncommon or rare, and thisÖ itís the kind of card that you end up seeing six copies of in the trash, and it makes you a little sad because it has potential. Unless youíre playing in a really equipment heavy block, though, itís pretty bad. IÖ donít have much beyond that to say.

Cursed Plunder BBR
Artifact ó R
Creatures you control get +2/-1
Whenever a creature deals damage to you, that creature's controller gains control of ~.
We are cursed men, Miss Turner. Compelled by greed, we were, but now...we are consumed by it.
-Captain Barbossa

Iím less concerned about the flavor than, wellÖ a bunch of things. But first, let me look at it as a whole: itís not bad. It encourages you to swing with everything, but doesnít help your opponent counterattack, since it doesnít buff them until after damage is dealt (though a single first striker could change that). Itís costed about right for a +2 power anthe, plus probably one blocker negated the next turn and better trampling, if they want to avoid a second round of enhanced minions. However, itís quite the confusing card - Asymmetric costs, colored artifact, +X/-Y, and a quirky passive. I donít think all of that is key to its identity as a powerful double-edged sword that can change hands.

Bountiful Knowledge- U
Sorcery- R
Draw up to three cards. For each card you draw this way, each opponent may draw a card.
Knowledge abhors being hoarded.

Youíre right, this is dangerous territory, and I think you went too far in. This is best, I think, in a tempo-oriented blue deck, like a Delver deck, and itís far too powerful there. It lets you refill after dumping your hand, dig for finishers, or top off your hand while your opponent is still at 7 cards (either from your bounce or because itís turn 2-3) so theyíre forced to discard. It might be okay at 2 cards, but even thenÖ itís just too good in that archetype of decks.

Calculated Risk 2RR
Sorcery - R
Cast this spell only before your combat step.
All creatures you control lose defender, gain haste, +3/+0 and first strike until end of turn and must attack this turn if able.
Choose an opponent. At the beginning of that player's upkeep, he or she copies this spell except for this ability and casts it without paying its mana cost.

The main problem with this, I find, is it often doesnít benefit the opponent at all. What is he going to do, not block with his Augur of Bolas, and swing for 4 against your empty board next turn? This is mostly pure strength, not risk/reward. That said, even without the drawback this could be reasonable and not overpowered, if the set has nothing like Krenko, Mob Boss. It just feels like more text than necessary.

Also, I think the standard way to do this is make it an instant, and say ďCast X only during the declare attackers step.Ē

Arlinn's Calling-1RG

Enchantment-R

Creatures have +X/+Y where X is their power and Y is their toughness if no spells were cast last turn.

When a Planeswalker calls, the whole plane hears her.

So, double P/T when nothingís been cast? Nifty, but unlike werewolves where you can pass turn to flip them, that move is actually defensive here, since your (presumably larger) board will only get buffed on your enemyís turn. I suppose it hoses enemy drawgo or similarly controlling decks, since they canít wait to your turn to do stuff, but it just feels like an awkward way to go about it. I think it has potential as a sideboard card in a healthy meta, but I canít help but think itís unprintable.

Also, Iíd add commas after ď+X/+YĒ and ďtoughnessĒ.

Fright - 2BB
Creature - Avatar - R
Creatures have Menace
4/ 2

Hm... it's not bad, since it's not particularly exceptional the turn it drops, or even the turn after, but is rather good at ensuring your opponent's death over a few turns. It's a bit like Pyreheart Wolf, but in black. It feels just awkward enough that I feel like there's room for improvement somewhere, but seeing as I can't pin it down, I guess it's pretty good, if not exceptional.

Mystic1110, with Belligerent Terrain!

Okay, the card might have some problems, but it's very close to being an awesome card. It's just so red/green - destroys land, causes fighting, sends in things to charge recklessly... It's also good against nonbasics without calling them out, which I like a lot.

Jormengand, with Rise through the Fire!

This might be personal bias speaking, but this card makes me want to play it. 3 for 1 at two mana! However, I think in practice it is usually going to be an expensive shock, and I would've really liked just a little more power to help realize the 3-for-1 dream.

Deigo Havoc, with Fame//Fortune!

While this wasn't without minor issues, and it definitely didn't qualify for bonus points, I really liked this card as a cohesive whole. It's the kind of card I want to see more of, where you can throw it into a draft deck running those colors and almost never be unhappy playing it. Both sides are the right amount of overcosted for their situational effect, and you can realistically play it with some self-synergy, which is just what you want from a Fuse card. Good job!

Beacon of Chaos
2016-09-06, 10:36 AM
Oh, cool! Thanks very much, I'm glad you liked it!

I can't think of a contest right now, so I will forfeit and let the 2nd Place Winner choose the contest instead!

Jormengand
2016-09-06, 01:16 PM
Muahaha. Muahahahaha.

Okay, new challenge: Make a card that uses one or more of the new mechanics from Kaladesh:

Vehicles and Crew: Some artifacts have a power and toughness and the vehicle subtype but are not creatures. They have Crew X (Tap any number of creatures with power X or more: This Vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.) Some creatures are pilots, and may have abilities in the form "Whenever $THIS crews a vehicle...".
Fabricate: Some creatures have Fabricate X (When this creature enters the battlefield, put $X-in-words +1/+1 counters on it or create $X-in-words colorless servo artifact creatures.)
Energy counters: Some cards have abilities in the form "You get E (An energy counter)" or "You get $Some-number-of-E (Energy counters)"; some cards have costs written "Pay $Some-number-of-E". Energy counters are put on players. They aren't mana and cannot appear in mana costs (if you want someone to pay E to cast a spell, it must be an additional cost).

r2d2go
2016-09-07, 01:31 AM
Light Rail Personnel 1U
Creature - Pilot R
Whenever Light Rail Personnel crews a vehicle, you get E.
Pay EEE: Vehicles Light Rail Personnel crews this turn can't be blocked this turn.
"Turns out, light is pretty fast." - Erilan Kol, Inventor of the Light Rail
1/1

LastCenturion
2016-09-07, 07:17 AM
Time Banks - 3
Legendary Artifact - R
On your untap step, choose a tapped permanent you control. That permanent does not untap on your untap step this turn.
On your upkeep step, you gain one energy counter.
EEEEEEEEEE: Take another turn after this one.
Is the cost of moving slowly now worth moving quickly later?

EDIT: Increased energy cost of ability.

EDIT2: Once again, my first ability is not my best. I have another post further on.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-09-07, 09:11 AM
I'm glad you chose this contest. I considered it, but didn't really want to judge it. :smalltongue:

Manufactory 3

Artifact - U

Artificers you control have Fabricate 1.

Tap two untapped artificers you control: Create a 1/1 colourless Thopter artifact creature token with flying.

mystic1110
2016-09-07, 09:22 AM
Quadgroup Mastermind 2WW
Creature - Human Artificer R
Fabricate 3 (When this creature enters the battlefield, put three +1/+1 counters on it or create three colorless servo artifact creatures.)
W, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Quadgroup Mastermind : Put a 1/1 colorless servo artifact creature onto the battlefield.
W, Sacrifice a sevro: Put a +1/+1 counter on Quadgroup Mastermind .
1/1

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-09-07, 09:43 AM
Woodland Wonderworker XG
Creature - Elf Artificer R
Fabricate X
1/1

Woodland Wonderworker 3GG
Creature - Elf Artificer U
Fabricate 2, Fabricate 2
Really, it's only recently that metal inventions have come to rival the versatility of good oak construction.
1/1

TurboGhast
2016-09-07, 10:58 AM
Time Banks - 3
Legendary Artifact - R
On your untap step, choose a tapped permanent you control. That permanent does not untap on your untap step this turn.
On your upkeep step, you gain one energy counter.
EEEEE: Take another turn after this one.
Is the cost of moving slowly now worth moving quickly later?

Energy was designed to have guidelines, so that energy from one artifact is worth as much as energy from another. (Halfway through this article (http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/kaladesh-ingredients-part-1-2016-09-05), the basics of this are explained.) Your card in its current state is quite overpowered because enough other energy creators could get you free turns far too easily.

Rogue's Cruiser 3
Artifact - Vehicle U
~ can't be blocked if it attacks alone.
Crew 1 (Tap any number of creatures you control with power 1 or more: This Vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.)
Not every piece of art on Kaladesh is meant to be seen.
3/2

EDIT: Mana cost 3 -> 4
Crew requirement from to 2-> 1. Worried might be OP in limited.

EDIT 2: Mana cost: 4 -> 3 Decided to risk pushing it further. Card is meant to be an asset to a control deck.

EDIT 3, post judgment: Rouge > Rogue. :smallsigh: I feel really dumb for making that mistake

EDIT 4, way past judgment: Covered the edits in a spoiler tag, bolded the card's name, fixed incorrect reminder text. (I left the crew 2 reminder text in after the first edit.)

ben-zayb
2016-09-07, 05:07 PM
^ It's pretty stealthy for a red object in the middle of an otherwise blue/green/clear-colored terrain

Bagha Aetherguard 3
{image of a robotic black panther}
Artifact Creature - Cat Construct R
Defender, Fabricate 2
Whenever a creature attacks you, you may pay EE. If you do, get E for each +1/+1 counter on ~, exile it, then return it to the battlefield.
Incapacitator and capacitor rolled into one.
1/1

Yes, this is supposed to synergize with Crew as well, just to round up all Kaladesh mechanics. Also, some engineering-related references for giggles

Ebon_Drake
2016-09-07, 05:14 PM
Skeleton Crew 1B
Creature - Skeleton Pilot (U)
1B: regenerate ~
Whenever ~ crews a vehicle, that vehicle gains "1B: regenerate this vehicle" until end of turn.
"Oh! When you said it only needs a skeleton crew, I thought you meant 'please kill and reanimate everyone on board!' Try to be clearer next time."
- Liliana
1/1

Ionbound
2016-09-07, 05:19 PM
Short Circuit-RR

Instant-U

Choose any number of target artifacts. You get E, then may pay E to destroy one of the artifacts you targeted. You may repeat this any number of times.

"Your fragile aetherworks collapse at the slightest disturbance...Try Again." ~Dovin Baan

LastCenturion
2016-09-07, 05:59 PM
Use Again - 1BU
Instant - R
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice an artifact.
Exile any number of creatures or artifacts from your graveyard. Target creature Fabricates X, where X is the number of cards exiled this way.
Some parts can be reused; a servo here, an arm there...

It's not quite how Fabricate is supposed to work, but I don't think there's a problem. If there is I'll try a new card.

Tom the Mime
2016-09-07, 07:03 PM
Light Pilot 1W
Creature - Spirit Pilot U
Flying
Whenever ~ crews a vehicle, it gains flying until end of turn.
1/2
Not to be confused with a pilot light

Yeah, that was just for the flavor text. Feels like a remade Triskelion with fabricate would fit well in this set.

Fable Wright
2016-09-07, 07:11 PM
Forge of Hope 2W
Legendary Artifact ó R
Sacrifice ~: Until end of turn, nontoken creatures that enter the battlefield under your control have Fabricate X, where X is the number of Legendary cards in your graveyard.
For the sake of those who are forever lost.

Blue Ghost
2016-09-07, 08:15 PM
Pirate Galley 3
Artifact - Vehicle (U)
Crew 1
Menace
Whenever Pirate Galley deals combat damage to a player, draw a card for each creature crewing it.
2/6

Misothene
2016-09-08, 02:42 AM
Use Again - 1BU
Instant - R
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice an artifact.
Exile any number of creatures or artifacts from your graveyard. Target creature Fabricates X, where X is the number of cards exiled this way.
Some parts can be reused; a servo here, an arm there...

It's not quite how Fabricate is supposed to work, but I don't think there's a problem. If there is I'll try a new card.

The core mechanic of this card doesn't work. Fabricate is a keyword, it's something a creature "has." It's not a verb like scry. In order for the card to function, it would have to spell out the choice of whether you're getting +1/+1 counters or Servos.

Templating issue: In any zone other than the battlefield, you need to refer to creature and/or artifact CARDS. It's a creature on the battlefield, a creature spell on the stack, and a creature card anywhere else.

LastCenturion
2016-09-08, 06:50 AM
The core mechanic of this card doesn't work. Fabricate is a keyword, it's something a creature "has." It's not a verb like scry. In order for the card to function, it would have to spell out the choice of whether you're getting +1/+1 counters or Servos.

Templating issue: In any zone other than the battlefield, you need to refer to creature and/or artifact CARDS. It's a creature on the battlefield, a creature spell on the stack, and a creature card anywhere else.

I was afraid of that. Well, here's a new one that works.

Collegiate Airfield
Legendary Artifact Land - Equipment Vehicle - MR
Crew 1
Whenever you crew a vehicle with equipped creature, untap equipped creature.
Fabricate 1
Equip 1
[3/3]

EDIT: Made another new one. *sigh* I suck at getting it right the first time.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-09-08, 12:08 PM
Sky Admiral's Carrier -- 6
Artifact - Vehicle [R]
Flying, Crew 1
Once per turn, when you crew this, choose one: put two +1/+1 counter on Sky Admiral's Carrier, or create two 1/1 Servo artifact creature token.
Servos you control have Flying.
0/4

Yes, if you leave this unanswered it gets out of control FAST. But it's also no immediate power, for a 6 mana cost, so I think it works. Probably not competitive, but TONS of fun for the player who wants it.

Jormengand
2016-09-08, 01:45 PM
Public status announcement: Fabricate is not a keyword action. Triggered abilities which tell you to fabricate do not work.

mythmonster2
2016-09-08, 01:50 PM
Soj, the Thinker- 5
Legendary Artifact Creature- Servo- R
Fabricate 2
If an effect would create one or more Servo tokens under your control, it creates twice that many Servo tokens instead.
T: Create a 1/1 Servo artifact creature token.
"The rest of my kind may not be strong, durable, or even capable of thought. But we do have numbers on our side."
1/1

We know basically nothing about servos, so the flavor is probably way off, but whatever.

LaZodiac
2016-09-08, 01:57 PM
Aetherwork Araneae 4G
Artifact Creature - Spider (C)
Reach
When ~ enters the battlefield, gain EE.
Pay E: ~ can block an additional creature this turn.
3/5
If the Consul's eyes are in the sky, we must simply pluck them out.

EDIT: @Mythmonster: Servo's are basically just ground thopters. Cute little orb shaped robot servants.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-09-08, 02:18 PM
Triggered abilities which tell you to fabricate do not work.

I felt the "as if it entered the battlefield this turn" might get around that by effectively treating the creature as if it was being cast again. No?

LaZodiac
2016-09-08, 02:48 PM
I felt the "as if it entered the battlefield this turn" might get around that by effectively treating the creature as if it was being cast again. No?

You'd be better off saying "creatures cast this turn have Fabricate" than that jumble of potentially not working rules mess. I'm actually pretty sure you can't do what you're suggesting within the actual rules of the game.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-09-08, 03:47 PM
You'd be better off saying "creatures cast this turn have Fabricate" than that jumble of potentially not working rules mess. I'm actually pretty sure you can't do what you're suggesting within the actual rules of the game.

My card didn't do that though -- it had a Fabricate effect whenever you crewed it. I just replaced it with text of what Fabricate does, which solves the problem.

Jormengand
2016-09-08, 04:37 PM
My card didn't do that though -- it had a Fabricate effect whenever you crewed it.

And that's a problem because fabricate is a static ability, not a keyword action. You cannot fabricate, whether as though you entered the battlefield or not.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-09-08, 04:52 PM
And that's a problem because fabricate is a static ability, not a keyword action. You cannot fabricate, whether as though you entered the battlefield or not.

See the second part of that post, where I fix the issue.

LastCenturion
2016-09-08, 07:09 PM
Augment - 3RW
Enchantment - R
2: Choose a permanent you control. That permanent gets one fabrication counter.
G: Exile a creature you control, then return it to the battlefield. You may return it to the battlefield tapped. If you do, you gain one life.
R: Until the end of your turn, creatures that enter the battlefield under your control from exile have Fabricate 2. Activate this ability only once per turn.

Y'all've been arguing about Fabricating stuff, here's the solution. Flicker it and give it fabricate when it comes back.

EDIT: Apparently I wrote it poorly before, so I've rephrased the card. Here's the old version, in case somebody wants to know what changed.

Augment - 3RW
Enchantment - R
2: Choose a permanent you control. That card gets two augmentation counters.
G: You may remove an augmentation counter from a permanent you control. If you do, exile that card, then return it to the battlefield under your control. Otherwise, you gain 1 life. Activate this ability only once per turn.
R: You may remove an augmentation counter from a permanent you control. If you do, that card gains Fabricate 2 this turn. Otherwise, target opponent loses 1 life. Activate this ability only once per turn.

LaZodiac
2016-09-08, 07:44 PM
Except if you go to exile it and return it...it stops having Fabricate. At least I'm pretty sure, you seem confident but I'm PRETTY sure that's not the case.

Look guys, this isn't a good direction to approach this design from. Giving fabricate to things that don't have it is good, but if they're already on the field it isn't going to work. Period.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-09-08, 07:55 PM
Look guys, this isn't a good direction to approach this design from. Giving fabricate to things that don't have it is good, but if they're already on the field it isn't going to work. Period.

Or you just have to write out the exact text of Fabricate again. :smalltongue:

braveheart
2016-09-08, 08:00 PM
Power Supply Node 3
Artifact - U
T: Add C to your mama pool
T: you get E
Energy fills this world, it must come from somewhere

Misothene
2016-09-09, 02:20 AM
Artifact - Vehicle [R]
Flying, Crew 1
When you crew this, choose one: put a +1/+1 counter on Sky Admiral's Carrier, or create a 1/1 Servo artifact creature token.
0/6

Yes, if you leave this unanswered it gets out of control FAST. But it's also no immediate power, for a 6 mana cost, so I think it works. Probably not competitive, but TONS of fun for the player who wants it.

Seems pretty competitive to me. If I resolve it and control a creature with one power, I can do the following:
Crew it with my Wandering Ones or whatever
Choose to get a Servo
Crew it with the Servo
Choose to get a Servo
Repeat an arbitrarily large number of times

I'd pay 6 for infinite 1/1s.

The lesson here, of course, being that you can crew something multiple times a turn, and that having summoning sickness doesn't stop a creature from crewing a vehicle.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-09-09, 03:37 PM
The lesson here, of course, being that you can crew something multiple times a turn, and that having summoning sickness doesn't stop a creature from crewing a vehicle.

Ah. Forgot about that!

BasketOfPuppies
2016-09-09, 05:26 PM
Seems pretty competitive to me. If I resolve it and control a creature with one power, I can do the following:
Crew it with my Wandering Ones or whatever
Choose to get a Servo
Crew it with the Servo
Choose to get a Servo
Repeat an arbitrarily large number of times

I'd pay 6 for infinite 1/1s.

But all but one are tapped, so it's balanced, right?

LastCenturion
2016-09-09, 05:31 PM

I mean, sure. Six mana "You have one turn to kill me or I win, and I get two blockers too" is pretty balanced. [/sarcasm]

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-09-09, 06:24 PM
I mean, sure. Six mana "You have one turn to kill me or I win, and I get two blockers too" is pretty balanced. [/sarcasm]

Yes, yes, I forgot you could crew with a creature when it has summoning sickness. Let's move on. :smalltongue:

Ninjaman
2016-09-10, 05:41 AM
Energy Edge - 2
Artifact - Equipment - R
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, you get E.
Pay E: Choose one:

Equipped creature get +1/+0 and gains first strike until end of turn.
Equipped creature gains lifelink until end of turn.
Regenerate equipped creature.

Equip 2

Beelzebub1111
2016-09-10, 09:25 AM
Public status announcement: Fabricate is not a keyword action. Triggered abilities which tell you to fabricate do not work.
It is really hard to find the syntax for a mechanic that doesn't exist yet

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-09-10, 09:51 AM
It is really hard to find the syntax for a mechanic that doesn't exist yet

I feel you. Here's the example that came out when they announced it officially:http://media.wizards.com/2016/bVvMNuiu2i_KLD/en_eMQxKzsTBs.png

It's a triggered ability that happens when it enters the battlefield. An added wrinkle that I didn't notice until now is that no matter how much you're fabricating, it's still a binary choice; it's either all counters or all tokens. This makes my entry a lot less interesting... I should probably to go back to the drawing board.

Passive Pete
2016-09-10, 12:39 PM
Cyclone Exertion UR
Enchantment R
Whenever you cast your first noncreature spell of a turn, you get E
UR, pay any amount of E, sacrifice ~: Exile from your graveyard each instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the amount of E paid. You may cast a copy of each spell exiled this way without paying its mana cost.

Sorry if I'm a little too late; you can disqualify me if I am.

EDIT: oops forgot some words

Warmatt
2016-09-10, 06:15 PM
Looking at Fabricate, I just thought of this....

Industrial Engine 6
Enchantment Artifact MR
E- Place a charge counter on ~
Non-token creatures you control have Fabricate X, where X is the number of charge counters on ~
'All the revolution needs to get going is energy. That, and dreams of a better tomorrow.'

Fable Wright
2016-09-10, 06:17 PM
Looking at Fabricate, I just thought of this....

Industrial Engine 6
Enchantment Artifact MR
Spells you cast also have Fabricate X, where X is the number of charge counters on X
'All the revolution needs to get going is energy. That, and dreams of a better tomorrow.'

This puts Fabricate on noncreature artifacts and enchantments, which a lot of new players won't intuitively understand.

tgva8889
2016-09-10, 07:56 PM
Aetherburn XXR
Sorcery (U)
You may spend E as though it were C to pay for X.
Aetherburn deals X damage to target creature or player.

Jormengand
2016-09-10, 08:50 PM
This puts Fabricate on noncreature artifacts and enchantments, which a lot of new players won't intuitively understand.

It also puts it on instants and sorceries, which will never trigger the ability because they'll never enter the battlefield, which could also be counterintuitive.

Warmatt
2016-09-10, 10:12 PM
Edited so that it only applies to permanents you cast. Not sure on the exact wording.

Fable Wright
2016-09-10, 10:54 PM
Edited so that it only applies to permanents you cast. Not sure on the exact wording.

Spells are not permanents until they enter the battlefield. Also, Planeswalkers really shouldn't have Fabricate on them, and again neither should artifacts or enchantments due to the fact that +1/+1 counters on them are confusing for new players (do they turn into a creature if they get the counters?) and the token-making option is just overwhelmingly better, making the choice between the two very confusing.

Warmatt
2016-09-10, 11:53 PM
Edited so it only applies to creatures, though I think I should add a cast from your hand bit of clarification text?

tgva8889
2016-09-10, 11:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that because of the way Fabricate is worded, giving it to a spell doesn't do anything, because it's a triggered ability so it won't try to apply until the creature has resolved, at which point it's no longer a spell, so you should really just write it as "Nontoken creatures you control have..."

Jormengand
2016-09-13, 12:52 PM
Card Judgement 2WW
Sorcery MR
Exile all cards with spelling, grammar or formatting mistakes. Then each player with the best card wins the game.

Light Rail Personnel 1U
Creature - Pilot R
Whenever Light Rail Personnel crews a vehicle, you get E.
Pay EEE: Vehicles Light Rail Personnel crews this turn can't be blocked this turn.
"Turns out, light is pretty fast." - Erilan Kol, Inventor of the Light Rail
1/1

Hmm.

I think the problem with this is that it tries to be part of an energy-vehicle hybrid deck. I'm not sure that it's ever going to work out on its own (because it only has power 1, so it's not even a great pilot) and while it screams "build around me, let me make all your vehicles unblockable!" that would require a lot of effort and untap effects to make some vehicles which probably already flew unblockable. It's a nice idea, but I'm not certain it works in practice.

Manufactory 3
Artifact - U
Artificers you control have Fabricate 1.
Tap two untapped artificers you control: Create a 1/1 colourless Thopter artifact creature token with flying.

So, it's an artifact that produces artifacts and artifacts and synergises with artificers and artificers. It does at least follow the SOI Lord instructions of being a card that interacts with both things that you play before it and things you play after it. However, this card is so massively useful for artifact decks (imagine running around with a Ghirapur aether grid and this thing, for example) that I worry about the possibility that it's too good. Finally, artificers are a diverse group, and it's hard to see random, disparate humans, goblins, and phyrexian creatures too weird even to have a racial type working together to make thopters. On a three-mana uncommon, all this stuff combined is too weird and too good.

Quadgroup Mastermind 2WW
Creature - Human Artificer R
Fabricate 3 (When this creature enters the battlefield, put three +1/+1 counters on it or create three colorless servo artifact creatures.)
W, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Quadgroup Mastermind : Put a 1/1 colorless servo artifact creature onto the battlefield.
W, Sacrifice a sevro: Put a +1/+1 counter on Quadgroup Mastermind .
1/1

I'll let you have that typo in "Servo". :smalltongue:

So, fabricate 3. Right off the bat, that's "Choose one: Create 4 1/1 creature tokens or create a 4/4 creature token", in effect, for 2WW. That's not bad. Then, you can quickly change out between servos and +1/+1s. This means you can dodge abilities that would only-just kill it because of damage, or you can unload all its +1/+1s if it's going to die anyway. That said, you have to leave mana open to do that. It's a nice card, at least, though as with all cheap pump abilities I worry that they're going to end up reading "Quadgroup mastermind can't be blocked by anything you actually want to block it with."

Woodland Wonderworker 3GG
Creature - Elf Artificer U
Fabricate 2, Fabricate 2
Really, it's only recently that metal inventions have come to rival the versatility of good oak construction.
1/1

I'm a sucker for multiple instances of the same keyword. Comparing ODE (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376437) all of the modes are probably relatively balanced, although you can often get that kind of ability as separate abilities far (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262686) chea (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=270970)per (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=391850) if you meet the right conditions. Which means the added versatility probably makes it a pretty good uncommon.

Rouge's Cruiser 3
Artifact - Vehicle U
~ can't be blocked if it attacks alone.
Crew 1 (Tap any number of creatures you control with power 2 or more: This Vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.)
Not every piece of art on Kaladesh is meant to be seen.
3/2

Okay, let's go through this. It's a vehicle, meaning that it interacts with pilot effects, such as the pilot that will give it haste. It's a 3/2 unblockable with no colour weight that can be crewed by almost any creature, and there's nothing stopping you from buffing it with abilities of whatever colour you choose to put it in (exalted cards in modern might be interesting) and immunity to sorcery-speed creature removal is just the icing on the cake. Also, ROGUE, not ROUGE.

Bagha Aetherguard 3
{image of a robotic black panther}
Artifact Creature - Cat Construct R
Defender, Fabricate 2
Whenever a creature attacks you, you may pay EE. If you do, get E for each +1/+1 counter on ~, exile it, then return it to the battlefield.
Incapacitator and capacitor rolled into one.
1/1

Creatures that can use E are normally supposed to make some E so they can activate on their own, but that doesn't have to be the case. Essentially, it's a 1/1 defender that makes 2 1/1 non-defenders and acts as a 3/3 defender inasmuch as no-one's going to want to attack you while you have E. As a rare, that might just be okay, but it's a bit much potentially.

Skeleton Crew 1B
Creature - Skeleton Pilot (U)
1B: regenerate ~
Whenever ~ crews a vehicle, that vehicle gains "1B: regenerate this vehicle" until end of turn.
"Oh! When you said it only needs a skeleton crew, I thought you meant 'please kill and reanimate everyone on board!' Try to be clearer next time."
- Liliana
1/1

Regenerate on vehicles - which are generally toughness-heavy, from what I've seen - is a little bit odd, but fair enough. It's a generally unexciting pilot, but I guess we need some of those.

Short Circuit-RR

Instant-U

Choose any number of target artifacts. You get E, then may pay E to destroy one of the artifacts you targeted. You may repeat this any number of times.

"Your fragile aetherworks collapse at the slightest disturbance...Try Again." ~Dovin Baan

I think what this wants is some kind of strive mechanic. "Destroy any number of target artifacts. Strive - As an additional cost to cast Short Circuit, pay E for each additional target beyond the first".

At the moment, what this does is:

1: Choose any number of target artifacts.
2: You get E
3: You may pay E to destroy one of the artifacts you targeted.
4: You may repeat 1, 2, and 3 as many times as you like.

Which means you get infinite E, and destroy any number of target artifacts. That's probably not what you intended.

Light Pilot 1W
Creature - Spirit Pilot U
Flying
Whenever ~ crews a vehicle, it gains flying until end of turn.
1/2
Not to be confused with a pilot light

Again, I'm afraid that this fits in the "Boring pilot with a boring pilot ability" box, but that's fine. I'd make it a 2/1, because pilots work best with high toughness.

Forge of Hope 2W
Legendary Artifact ó R
Sacrifice ~: Until end of turn, nontoken creatures that enter the battlefield under your control have Fabricate X, where X is the number of Legendary cards in your graveyard.
For the sake of those who are forever lost.

See, this makes me want to play legend tribal all over again. Heroes' Podium, Hero's Blade and Day of Destiny, Reki the History of Kamigawa, a few other Kamigawa cards, this, and a bucket of legendary creatures. In addition to the other fun effects, everything enters with a bunch of +1/+1 counters on or floods the board with weenies.

Is it too good? No. But it's gonna be hella fun.

Pirate Galley 3
Artifact - Vehicle (U)
Crew 1
Menace
Whenever Pirate Galley deals combat damage to a player, draw a card for each creature crewing it.
2/6

Hmm.

The problem I have with this is that you can crew as an instant, and also crew with summoning-sick creatures. If you could crew only as a sorcery then I would have more truck with this, but as it stands, supposing you have two of them riding past three creatures, you can put a creature in each, then whichever wasn't blocked, you can filter all of your other creatures into that one to draw a bunch of cards.

Also, a 2/6 for 3 with no colour weight, even if you have to crew it, already seems pretty nasty. If it was draw 1/toss 1 for each creature crewing it, maybe that would be better balanced.

Artifact - Vehicle [R]
Flying, Crew 1
Once per turn, when you crew this, choose one: put two +1/+1 counter on Sky Admiral's Carrier, or create two 1/1 Servo artifact creature token.
0/4

I know you realise that it can be out of control fast, but just because you realise that, doesn't necessarily mean it's okay. It's two thopters servos per turn, even when it's not your turn (again, if you could crew only as a sorcery I'd be a little happier with it) and you can crew it during enemy turns with your not-thopters that you just created and are still summoning-sick. Compare Thopter Spy Network, which actually has colour weight, is only a quarter of the speed, and doesn't have the option to make gains and become a massive flying fortress of doom (not that a 0/4 flying to block things isn't helpful in the first instance).

Soj, the Thinker- 5
Legendary Artifact Creature- Servo- R
Fabricate 2
If an effect would create one or more Servo tokens under your control, it creates twice that many Servo tokens instead.
T: Create a 1/1 Servo artifact creature token.
"The rest of my kind may not be strong, durable, or even capable of thought. But we do have numbers on our side."
1/1

We know basically nothing about servos, so the flavor is probably way off, but whatever.

Servo-lord!

So, it comes down as 5 1/1s for 5. I discussed the ramifications of this with the Woodland Wonderworker: it's probably okay. Then, it sits there multiplying all your servo-creation, and making two more per turn, and even more still if you can find ways of untapping it. That's a lot for something with no colour weight and only a 5-drop.

Aetherwork Araneae 4G
Artifact Creature - Spider (C)
Reach
When ~ enters the battlefield, gain EE.
Pay E: ~ can block an additional creature this turn.
3/5
If the Consul's eyes are in the sky, we must simply pluck them out.

3/5 reach for 4G is decent. Giving an extra two EE when you come down is a nice addition compared to "When acid web spider enters the battlefield, you may destroy target equipment" (appears at common) or "Sacrifice a land: Spitting Spider deals 1 damage to each creature with flying" (appears at uncommon). Paying to block the additional creature is also a cool ability on an obviously-a-blocker. Maybe it's too good for common, but it's about in the right spot.

Augment - 3RW
Enchantment - R
2: Choose a permanent you control. That permanent gets one fabrication counter.
G: Exile a creature you control, then return it to the battlefield. You may return it to the battlefield tapped. If you do, you gain one life.
R: Until the end of your turn, creatures that enter the battlefield under your control from exile have Fabricate 2. Activate this ability only once per turn.

First ability does nothing, second ability is in a weird colour given that flicker effects are white and the card is white, third ability is crazy combined with the second one. You may as well give it a single activated ability:

GX: Create X 1/1 servo artifact creature tokens and another X 1/1 servo artifact creature tokens. Spend only red mana to pay for this activated ability's X cost.

It's inelegant and hyper-powerful. There's not much else to say.

Power Supply Node 3
Artifact - U
T: Add C to your mama pool
T: you get E
Energy fills this world, it must come from somewhere

"Mama pool". But I'm surprised that energy rocks/energy dorks/energy lands didn't occur to anyone else.

Energy Edge - 2
Artifact - Equipment - R
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, you get E.
Pay E: Choose one:

Equipped creature get +1/+0 and gains first strike until end of turn.
Equipped creature gains lifelink until end of turn.
Regenerate equipped creature.

Equip 2

It's pretty powerful. Ignoring the lifelink for a moment, either of the other two abilities are a great way to save a creature, and this can also rack up some energy fairly easily if you don't need to save your creature's butt repeatedly. I do like the idea, though.

Cyclone Exertion UR
Enchantment R
Whenever you cast your first noncreature spell of a turn, you get E
UR, pay any amount of E, sacrifice ~: Exile from your graveyard each instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the amount of E paid. You may cast a copy of each spell exiled this way without paying its mana cost.

Woah. Win-condition alert.

Part of me wants to play mountain, lightning bolt, sulphur falls, bolt, bolt, sulphur falls again, this, bolt, mountain, shock, shock, activate the ability paying a single E and then fire off all those nasty cheap burn spells again. Other possibilities include using discard effects (mountain, bolt, island, this, swamp, one with nothing, activate this to throw all the stuff that was in your hand at face).

Even these relatively unlikely examples aside, this is really nasty in a burn deck, especially since you already want blue in your burn deck, especially in standard (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=410009). Another possibility is self-mill, using cards like crop sigil, screeching skaab or crow of dark tidings alongside your burn (probably screeching skaab and laboratory guard) along with discard like lightning axe to get big instant and sorcery cards in your yard. Then, you can cast spells that get you fast energy (woodweaver's puzzleknot is a 2-drop that gets you three) and then grab cards out of your library and throw them at your enemy. Currently standard-legal big instant and sorcery cards include powerful burn, removal and draw, but even small ones can be enough to wreck your opponent.

Essentially, this is a 2-drop that has the ability to wreck enemy face very hard.

Industrial Engine 6
Enchantment Artifact MR
Non-token creatures you control have Fabricate X, where X is the number of charge counters on ~

This has no reason to be an enchantment. Energy costs are written "Pay E" not just "E".

Anyway, this is a boost to all your creatures, or a source of extra servos. Energy isn't hard to come by, so you're probably giving your stuff fabricate 3 or more. I'm not sure that's okay, even at mythic.

Aetherburn XXR
Sorcery (U)
You may spend E as though it were C to pay for X.
Aetherburn deals X damage to target creature or player.

It's a finisher. Not sure how good a finisher, but given that it's relatively trivial to get E (you can get EEEEEE and 6 life for 4G and a card) it could be good.

I think I'm going to have to give it to LaZodiac with Aetherwork Araneae. Runner-up is probably Forge of Hope.

braveheart
2016-09-13, 03:11 PM
Congratulations to Zodiak for winning,
Also we may want to start the next contest with a new thread.

mystic1110
2016-09-13, 04:20 PM
Congratulations to Zodiak for winning,
Also we may want to start the next contest with a new thread.

Congrats as well!

And I propose something to do with the new set. . .

MtG - You Make the Card V: Thread Creators Fair
MtG - You Make the Card V: ∆thread

LaZodiac
2016-09-13, 04:21 PM
Thanks! Happy to have won! I vote for Thread Creators Fair, and also will note that I don't know who's supposed to actually START the next thread or not this hasn't happened to me before I assume it's the person who started it?

LastCenturion
2016-09-13, 04:33 PM
Ideas for the new thread:
MTG - You Make the Card V: Evergreen MTG - You Make the Card V: Cast Animate Thread MTG- You Make the Card V: More Broken than Affinity

I don't think any of these are that good personally, but they're options.

Beacon of Chaos
2016-09-13, 04:57 PM
Thanks! Happy to have won! I vote for Thread Creators Fair, and also will note that I don't know who's supposed to actually START the next thread or not this hasn't happened to me before I assume it's the person who started it?
Actually, I started this thread when it was my turn to create a contest, so it would be you. Just copy and paste the thread OP and add a link back to this one.

Also:

MtG - You Make the Card V: Untapped Potential

mythmonster2
2016-09-13, 06:50 PM
I quite like Untapped Potential or Creators Fair

LastCenturion
2016-09-13, 07:56 PM
my vote is for Untapped Potential.

LaZodiac
2016-09-13, 09:39 PM
Hmm...I like Untapped Potential too.

New Thread here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?500569-MtG-You-Make-the-Card-V-Untapped-Potential&p=21200237#post21200237)