PDA

View Full Version : Optimization My level 9 half giant is looking to become stronger. Advice?

Skygrassface
2015-10-22, 04:13 AM
My party has usually been able to rely on my character's pretty massive strength (24) and even including blunders, he helps make things turn out better than when they started.

In our most recent adventure, however, his strength and skill in combat was useless for a good few sessions, because we were destroying some magic towers made of metal that he couldn't break apart fast enough with his wrecking ball. The remaining members of the party were destroying them easily with spells and he's starting to feel a bit inadequate and useless. He did almost no damage to them using his strength (which is the only feature he's proud of). Strength items like belts and gauntlets make him feel like he's cheating, so he won't be happy using them.

The plan right now is to go into justiciar for the sake of some unique utility and my own personal amusement.

Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

DedWards
2015-10-22, 04:45 AM
With such a freakishly high STR, you should be able to deal decent damage at all times, even enough to overpower most DR (not ignore it, just deal so much damage that it's not that bad). So why exactly were you performing less adequately than normal? Because I don't see DR being too much of a problem.

Also, hitting things isn't the only thing you can do in combat. There's also grappling, which you should be great at with such a high STR.

... with his wrecking ball...

If you're talking about an actual Wrecking Ball, as in a huge ball on the end of a chain, why not just enchant it to overcome the 'weaknesses' you just found out?

Skygrassface
2015-10-22, 05:10 AM
With such a freakishly high STR, you should be able to deal decent damage at all times, even enough to overpower most DR (not ignore it, just deal so much damage that it's not that bad). So why exactly were you performing less adequately than normal? Because I don't see DR being too much of a problem.

Also, hitting things isn't the only thing you can do in combat. There's also grappling, which you should be great at with such a high STR.

If you're talking about an actual Wrecking Ball, as in a huge ball on the end of a chain, why not just enchant it to overcome the 'weaknesses' you just found out?

Well, He's very proud of his strength and at this point, He's angry because once the magic users broke it off its foundation, he couldn't lift or push it over the cliff. It's really just his ego being bruised, so i'm rolling with it.

He JUST got improved grapple, and YES i mean a giant ball at the end of a 200 ft chain. It's a 100 lb ball of steel which he casted around his pet boulder from childhood. His name is Jimmy and Jimmy might get adamantine'd soon to ignore pretty much any hardness rating.

The massive weight of this is no problem since he can carry 699 lbs on a light load.

DedWards
2015-10-22, 05:37 AM
His name is Jimmy...

For reasons I won't explain, I'd have named him Tom.

... and Jimmy might get adamantine'd soon to ignore pretty much any hardness rating.

Just a note, items have to originally be made out of the special metals, so you technically can't turn it into adamantine. The main option would be to sell the 'old' weapon and by its adamantine replacement. That said, I think there is an adamantine enchantment or spell that emulates most, but not all of the metal's features. With the enchantment option, you get to keep your oldest friend and he can do his job much better.

Feint's End
2015-10-22, 05:43 AM
Well, He's very proud of his strength and at this point, He's angry because once the magic users broke it off its foundation, he couldn't lift or push it over the cliff. It's really just his ego being bruised, so i'm rolling with it.

He JUST got improved grapple, and YES i mean a giant ball at the end of a 200 ft chain. It's a 100 lb ball of steel which he casted around his pet boulder from childhood. His name is Jimmy and Jimmy might get adamantine'd soon to ignore pretty much any hardness rating.

The massive weight of this is no problem since he can carry 699 lbs on a light load.

I want to say that that weapon wouldn't work because the chain is heavier than the steelball. Not because of strength but because of the way chain weapons work (a weight heavier than the chain at the end to create swings). Unless it is made out of mithral that is. However at that point we are talking physics and those don't mesh well with d&d in general.

Secondly if you can't overcome the hardness currently adamantine won't help you that much (as in 0 to 100% dmg). Sure it's quite something (20 or 30 was it) but won't be enough to ignore everything.

I recommend (aside from the adamantine weapon obviously) to dip into warblade or crusader of tob is available. There is a lowlevel maneuver which, as a standard action, let's you ignore hardness and dr with a single attack and deals 2d6 additional damage. It's called mountain hammer IIRC. This will let you deal beyond full dmg on any hardness.

Rebel7284
2015-10-22, 08:00 AM
I understand in-character frustration, but out of character, I hope you know that sharing the spotlight in good.

What's your current build now? Easiest way to get more utility for a martial character is usually getting access to spells/powers/maneuvers. Psychic Warrior to grow a size category (or two with practiced manifester) is always nice for a martial character.

Necroticplague
2015-10-22, 08:03 AM
Warhulk sounds right up your alley. Straight up increase in STR, and some good benefits for using a reach weapon (which I assume your chain is).

ExLibrisMortis
2015-10-22, 08:46 AM
Get one level in Crusader, pick up Mountain Hammer (overcomes DR and hardness) and Foehammer (overcomes DR). Alternatively, Swordsage for Setting Sun maneuvers, throw enemies!

War Hulk is cool, too. War Hulks don't have any ranks in Balance (the Stone Dragon discipline skill), but that doesn't need to spoil your fun, as no maneuvers actually require the skill.

Skygrassface
2015-10-22, 03:34 PM
I understand in-character frustration, but out of character, I hope you know that sharing the spotlight in good.

What's your current build now? Easiest way to get more utility for a martial character is usually getting access to spells/powers/maneuvers. Psychic Warrior to grow a size category (or two with practiced manifester) is always nice for a martial character.

My current build is 24 str (an 18 plus racials), 15 dex, 20 con, 13 int, 10 wis, and 10 cha.

He's going 4 levels into ranger and fighter, then going into Justiciar as at level 10 (he's got two adustment levels)

Feats he's chosen are :Power atk, fling ally, track, favored enemy, wild empathy, rapid shot, cleave, dodge improved grapple, great cleave, spring atk, mobility and endurance.

I'm now considering getting my DM to approve Mountain Hammer as that's totally up his alley.

Skygrassface
2015-10-22, 03:35 PM
Warhulk sounds right up your alley. Straight up increase in STR, and some good benefits for using a reach weapon (which I assume your chain is).

It kind of does, doesn't it? i'll consider it. :)

Skygrassface
2015-10-22, 11:12 PM
A little update, My DM has denied Mountain Hammer and War Hulk. He might do some DM tweaking for balancing, but for now they're not on the table. :(

Draconium
2015-10-22, 11:20 PM
Half-giants are only medium sized, aren't they? They have Powerful Build, but I thought they had to be full-on Large-sized to get into War Hulk anyways.

Also, I wouldn't call Mountain Hammer unbalanced anyways. Unless you actually have levels in an Initiator class, you can only use it once a battle. Though I suppose using it outside of battle would be fun. :smalltongue: (I'm assuming you're using a feat to get it? If you're using a dip into a class to get it, that's different.)

As for Strength increases, there isn't much I feel I can recommend outside of magical items, enchantments, or getting an inherent bonus (like through Wish or via one of the Manuals that give you them). Well, that, and what has already been said.

I think there are a few other PRCs that increase Str, but the only other one I can think of at the moment is Dragon Disciple, which... really isn't worth it, sadly.

Skygrassface
2015-10-22, 11:34 PM
Half-giants are only medium sized, aren't they? They have Powerful Build, but I thought they had to be full-on Large-sized to get into War Hulk anyways.

Also, I wouldn't call Mountain Hammer unbalanced anyways. Unless you actually have levels in an Initiator class, you can only use it once a battle. Though I suppose using it outside of battle would be fun. :smalltongue: (I'm assuming you're using a feat to get it? If you're using a dip into a class to get it, that's different.)

As for Strength increases, there isn't much I feel I can recommend outside of magical items, enchantments, or getting an inherent bonus (like through Wish or via one of the Manuals that give you them). Well, that, and what has already been said.

I think there are a few other PRCs that increase Str, but the only other one I can think of at the moment is Dragon Disciple, which... really isn't worth it, sadly.

My DM homebrewed the half giant so I'd have a larger str bonus without a powerful build, but he ended up making me large anyway so. eh.

I don't think Mountain Hammer is OP either, since it would be practically a daily since our battles are usually so big that we don't see more combat for another couple of days at best.

It seems like martial classes get the short end of the utility stick, in my opinion.

Draconium
2015-10-22, 11:42 PM
My DM homebrewed the half giant so I'd have a larger str bonus without a powerful build, but he ended up making me large anyway so. eh.

Ah, then that would work. If your DM allowed War Hulk. It is powerful, but honestly, it's not super-overpowered. And it's certainly less powerful than a straight Wizard 20 with the right spells.

I don't think Mountain Hammer is OP either, since it would be practically a daily since our battles are usually so big that we don't see more combat for another couple of days at best.

Then it would be far from overpowered. Although I'd personally recommend dipping into Warblade, if only for the recovery mechanic. Your effective IL would be 5 if you took it at your next level, so you could automatically pick up Mountain Hammer and two other maneuvers up through 3rd level (if you meet the prerequisites), along with a stance at 1st or 3rd level. But if your DM is saying no to Mountain Hammer, then he may be in that "ToB is overpowered" mindset, which is regrettable.

It seems like martial classes get the short end of the utility stick, in my opinion.

Yes they do, very much so. Except for ToB, really.

Skygrassface
2015-10-23, 05:39 AM
Ah, then that would work. If your DM allowed War Hulk. It is powerful, but honestly, it's not super-overpowered. And it's certainly less powerful than a straight Wizard 20 with the right spells.

Then it would be far from overpowered. Although I'd personally recommend dipping into Warblade, if only for the recovery mechanic. Your effective IL would be 5 if you took it at your next level, so you could automatically pick up Mountain Hammer and two other maneuvers up through 3rd level (if you meet the prerequisites), along with a stance at 1st or 3rd level. But if your DM is saying no to Mountain Hammer, then he may be in that "ToB is overpowered" mindset, which is regrettable.

Yes they do, very much so. Except for ToB, really.
Unfortunately, DM outright claimed OP for Warblade, so it's a no go. Frankly, I don't blame him.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-23, 07:35 AM
Unfortunately, DM outright claimed OP for Warblade, so it's a no go. Frankly, I don't blame him.

This always amuses me because warblade is the weakest of the ToB classes. It is not OP by any logical sense; it just starts stronger and takes less work to make a effective choice than the vast majority of martial classes. This is a problen with fighter, barbarian, paladin, ranger, etc., not with warblade.

Iku Rex
2015-10-23, 08:45 AM
War Mind maybe? The requirements may prove tricky though. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm

Dungeoncrasher (fighter ACF from Dungenscape) would be perfect. It starts at level 2 Fighter, so you'd need the GMs permission to make some changes.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-23, 08:46 AM
I forgot to ask, but what else does the homebrewed half-giant template give? Thus far all you said was large size and a boost to Str.

Skygrassface
2015-10-23, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=ZamielVanWeber;19986340]I forgot to ask, but what else does the homebrewed half-giant template give? Thus far all you said was large size and a boost to Str.[/QUOi think it was a +6 to strength and con for a -4 in int,wis, and cha.

I gained the racial feat for rock throwing too.

ericgrau
2015-10-24, 03:48 AM
Note that despite the common mistake sonic and acid do not bypass object hardness. Adamantine does. Other energy types deal half or quarter damage before subtracting damage. Sonic and acid usually deal less damage. They deal damage "normally" which actually means full damage before subtracting hardness, not subtracting nothing.

Usually bashing should be better than spells. It already tends to deal more damage and the spells that are best against objects tend to be the energy types with the lowest damage. Even without adamantine you're far ahead, and adamantine is icing on the cake.