PDA

View Full Version : 1/day item to 1/week item cost change?

Tibbaerrohwen
2015-10-22, 08:23 AM
I'm looking at altering a once per day effect item to a once per week effect item. I've looked through my books but I can't find the rules for it.

Do rules exist for this kind of conversion?

If so, can anyone enlighten me.

ILM
2015-10-22, 09:02 AM
According to item creation guidelines, per day items have a linear relationship between cost and charges. A 4/d item would cost twice as much as a 2/d item, and four times as much as a 1/d item. (they also say that unlimited = twice the cost of a 5/d item, so basically there's no cost difference between unlimited and 10/d)

By analogy, I'd price a 1/week item as a 1/7th per day item, or basically 15% of a 1/d item.

Segev
2015-10-22, 01:08 PM
Yeah, the rules provide a formula based on how many times per day you can use a power. If you can use it only once every week, on average you can use it only 1/7 times per day. Thus, insert "1/7" in for "number of times per day" to get the correct formulation.

Similarly, for 1/month items, it'd be either 1/30 or 1/31, depending how you felt like accounting a "month." Or even 1/28, if you just wanted to make it once every 4 weeks.

1/year items are 1/365 times per day. (Be careful; abusing this can lead to items used once in a million years, which are technically cheaper than one-shots. DMGs may be thrown at those suggesting such shenanigans.)

Flickerdart
2015-10-22, 02:05 PM
The same way that 10/day effectively becomes unlimited, anything less than once a week should probably be treated as a consumable item and priced accordingly.

Tibbaerrohwen
2015-10-22, 09:17 PM
According to item creation guidelines, per day items have a linear relationship between cost and charges. A 4/d item would cost twice as much as a 2/d item, and four times as much as a 1/d item. (they also say that unlimited = twice the cost of a 5/d item, so basically there's no cost difference between unlimited and 10/d)

By analogy, I'd price a 1/week item as a 1/7th per day item, or basically 15% of a 1/d item.

I was thinking the same thing. I believe its fair that way.

Yeah, the rules provide a formula based on how many times per day you can use a power. If you can use it only once every week, on average you can use it only 1/7 times per day. Thus, insert "1/7" in for "number of times per day" to get the correct formulation.

Similarly, for 1/month items, it'd be either 1/30 or 1/31, depending how you felt like accounting a "month." Or even 1/28, if you just wanted to make it once every 4 weeks.

1/year items are 1/365 times per day. (Be careful; abusing this can lead to items used once in a million years, which are technically cheaper than one-shots. DMGs may be thrown at those suggesting such shenanigans.)

I'm looking specifically at once a week. I'm not planning on making anything quite so silly as, effectively, once in a lifetime.

The same way that 10/day effectively becomes unlimited, anything less than once a week should probably be treated as a consumable item and priced accordingly.

This is true. If the plan switches from being once a week to once a month, charges would be more fair.

ericgrau
2015-10-23, 07:32 AM
Well you can't just divide by 7. 7/week is way more valuable than 1/day because it's more flexible.

In fact I was once in a group that went into a certain dungeon every weekend.

I couldn't find any existing per week items based on spells so it's hard to gauge the price. But generally the price should be set so that players just barely want to get it. If everyone wants one is too cheap. If nobody or almost nobody wants one it's too expensive. I could often see adventuring 2-5 days in a row while traveling or having down time for a few days in between. So around 1/3 to 1/2 price seems fair. Expect the sporadic adventurers to be the main buyers so I'm leaning more towards 1/2 price. It could/should be even higher cost if you could consistently choose to adventure weekly, but you often don't get to pick when danger arises so I'm going to stick with a guess of about 1/2 the price of a per day item.

ILM
2015-10-23, 10:15 AM
Fair point; then again a charged item with unlimited charges is priced the same way as an item with 10 charges per day even though the former is much more valuable than the latter for the same reason. So that discrepancy already exists in the system to some extent.

Sian
2015-10-23, 11:37 AM
one question that might seem obvious but actually ain't is how long a week is in the setting your in ... Forgotten Realms for an example explicitly says that a Week is 10 days long (a year is 12 months of three weeks, + 5 interreligious holy days)

Tibbaerrohwen
2015-10-25, 12:01 AM
one question that might seem obvious but actually ain't is how long a week is in the setting your in ... Forgotten Realms for an example explicitly says that a Week is 10 days long (a year is 12 months of three weeks, + 5 interreligious holy days)

I don't know. It hasn't come up in discussion. I am assuming 7 days, but it could be more or less.

Jack_Simth
2015-10-25, 12:19 AM
I'm looking at altering a once per day effect item to a once per week effect item. I've looked through my books but I can't find the rules for it.

Do rules exist for this kind of conversion?

If so, can anyone enlighten me.

They don't, not really. Depending on the spell, though, it may not be a good idea from a game-balance perspective. If a spell has a sufficient duration that casting it 1/week will get you continuous coverage of the spell in question (such as, say, Shambler (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shambler.htm)), then the distinction between 1/week and "Continuous" comes down to "How often does your DM use Dispel Magic and related effects?"

ILM
2015-10-25, 12:17 PM
Sure but that's pretty much the case with day-long spells already, and there are plenty of those. I don't see this upsetting the statu quo.

Hand_of_Vecna
2015-10-25, 12:59 PM

On the surface this is completely logical, however your item is now functionally cheap as a potion.

A =spell level X caster level in gp.

potion cost 50A.

scroll costs 25A.

5/day costs 2000A.

1/day costs 400A.

1/week costs 57A.

I'd had a similar thought last week when considering a 1/year item of polymorph to give a child vampire the semblance of aging. But applying a 1/365 (or 1/350 or whatever) modifier would make such an itme ludicrously inexpensive.

8 X 15 X 2000gp = 240,000gp for a at will polymorph any object item. a 1/365 modifier would put the cost under 1,000 gp without even factoring in the 1/5 for 1/day.That's cheaper than a single scroll 8X15X50gp= 6000gp.