PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Possesed and taken teiflings...stat help

1Forge
2015-10-22, 08:53 AM
o in my game there is a city state of all teiflings. Recently they were all possessed by their ancestor devils (in my game teiflings owe their souls to their devil ancestors if they don't meet certain unknown terms and conditions) the devils collected their debt early to help the god of hell make a power play on the world with two other deities. Our adventurers are trapped their by the city and are going to try to solve it. We have clerics and paladins who I rule do extra damage to these creatures (who cant even stand being in a church building due to the tenuous grip of their ancestors)

Do these stats seem balanced? (our party is 3rd level with about 8-9 players 1 paladin and 2 clerics almost guaranteed along with a rogue, a warlock, a bard, and two wizards, the other players are barbarians I think) they all have limited use magic items that vary in usefulness.
note: Possessed teiflings are just using commoner stats "taken" teiflings are like the more unstable ones.
hp:12
Ac:11
Str 12
Dex 12
Int 9
Cha 9
Wis 10
Con 10
Resistant to: Necrotic
Immune to: Fire
Vulnerable to: Radiant
Status immunities: None
Abilities: Choose 1
Pourous skin: The demonic power trys to utilize your spells power to help it maintain control, disadvantage on magic checks vs this creature.
Liquid form: The creature can effectively change small portions of its body from liquid to solid disadvantage on non magical ranged attacks.
Claws of hell: Unarmed opponents can sense and deflect melee attacks with their hands, disadvantage to non magical melee attacks

P.s. Also I need a way to reverse this to free the teiflings...killing kills both the host and the devil, so our party might try to avoid it but not if there is no other way, how would they reverse this blight? Maybe holy water or something?

p.s. just moved this from the 5e board and i wrote this before school so theres some mistakes. "magic checks" are just attacks made at it with certain spells.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-22, 09:05 AM
So... this is a stat block, right?

What's the CR? Without that, we have no way of knowing whether it's balanced or not.

1Forge
2015-10-22, 11:03 AM
So... this is a stat block, right?

What's the CR? Without that, we have no way of knowing whether it's balanced or not.

I never really figured out how to make a stat block appropriately unfortunately. I've tried for about a year and they're always off.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-22, 12:00 PM
I never really figured out how to make a stat block appropriately unfortunately. I've tried for about a year and they're always off.

That's ok, I can do that for you. There's enough to work with here.

As an aside, a party of 8-9 is a bit outside of my field of experience... I've never DMed for so many, so I'll just go by what the DMG says for the encounter sizing.

1Forge
2015-10-22, 12:29 PM
That's ok, I can do that for you. There's enough to work with here.

As an aside, a party of 8-9 is a bit outside of my field of experience... I've never DMed for so many, so I'll just go by what the DMG says for the encounter sizing.

Thanks. Yeah I'm the only reliable DM in town and I help run a club so I get alot of players.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-22, 02:17 PM
Taken
Medium fiend, any evil alignment
Armour Class 11
Hit Points 13 (3d8)
Speed 30 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

12 (+1)
12 (+1)
10 (+0)
9 (-1)
10 (+0)
9 (-1)

Skills Intimidation +1
Damage Immunity Fire
Damage Resistance Necrotic
Damage Vulnerability Radiant
Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Common, Infernal
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)

Fiendish Mutation. When you first create this creature, roll a d6 and apply the relevant result.

1-2: Porous Skin. All spell attack rolls against this Taken have disadvantage.
3-4: Liquid Form. All ranged weapon attack rolls against this Taken have disadvantage.
5-6: Claws of Hell. All melee weapon attack rolls against this Taken have disadvantage.

Actions
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6+1) slashing damage.

Light Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 80/320, one target. Hit: 5 (1d8+1) slashing damage.

1Forge
2015-10-22, 02:34 PM
Taken
Medium fiend, any evil alignment
Armour Class 11
Hit Points 13 (3d8)
Speed 30 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

12 (+1)
12 (+1)
10 (+0)
9 (-1)
10 (+0)
9 (-1)

Skills Intimidation +1
Damage Immunity Fire
Damage Resistance Necrotic
Damage Vulnerability Radiant
Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Common, Infernal
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)

Fiendish Mutation. When you first create this creature, roll a d6 and apply the relevant result.

1-2: Porous Skin. All spell attack rolls against this Taken have disadvantage.
3-4: Liquid Form. All ranged weapon attack rolls against this Taken have disadvantage.
5-6: Claws of Hell. All melee weapon attack rolls against this Taken have disadvantage.

Actions
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6+1) slashing damage.

Light Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 80/320, one target. Hit: 5 (1d8+1) slashing damage.

Thank you that's perfect!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-22, 02:50 PM
Encounter size:

XP thresholds for 9no level 3 PCs:

Easy
Medium
Hard
Deadly

Per the DMG's encounter maths, these monster groups might work...
1 Incubus (1,100XP)
1 Cult Fanatic and 1 Quasit (650XP)
2 Imps and 1 Taken Tiefling (450XP)
4 Ice Mephits (400XP)
3 Taken Tieflings and 3 Dust Mephits (450XP)
4 Taken Tieflings and 8 Possessed Tieflings (280XP)
7 Taken Tieflings (350XP)
22 Possessed Tieflings (220XP) - Probably a terrible idea!
11 Taken Tielfings (550XP)
8 Taken Tieflings and 8 Possessed Tieflings (480XP)
3 Spined Devils and 3 Taken Tieflings (1,500XP)
15 Taken Tieflings (750XP)
1 Horned Devil (7,200XP) - Probably a terrible idea!
2 Barbed Devils (3,600XP)
2 Balguras (3,600XP)
2 Succubi and 1 Quasit (2,400XP)
5 Cult Fanatics (2,250XP)
3 Bearded Devils and 3 Imps (2,400XP)
1 Spined Devil and 7 Imps (1,850XP)
9 Quasits (1,800XP)
24 Taken Tieflings (1,200XP) - Probably a terrible idea!