PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ninja and Samurai Archetypes

alchemyprime
2015-10-22, 10:09 AM
So here's where I'm at.
The last few months, I've been running a Pathfinder club for the kids in my city. We got a little under a dozen kids now, and I just got some of the English teachers to pass out fliers (woo!) to see if we can get the group a little bigger.

Now, to sort of take the guess work out of it, I've made a folder of all the classes I allow, and what archetypes they can use. I let the kids vote on what we'll introduce in December, and they voted on Japanese themed stuff (my Norse, Celtic, Egyptian, Indian, and Victorian England stuff will all have to wait til the next voting period).

Well, now I want to make the write up for the Samurai and the Ninja. I basically sum up the class on one page with a pic of the iconic (replacing a few iconics who have costumes that... might jumpstart puberty, and we don't need that) and then the second page tells them the archetypes and any racial archetypes available.

... Ninja can take a total of 4 archetypes, plus cat burglar and some Kitsune one I think? So that's not the problem, except for wanting to rename the archetypes.

Samurai is being much more of a problem. So my question - how would you finagle certain Cavalier archetypes to work with Samurai, with a handwave? And what would you call them?

Psyren
2015-10-22, 10:42 AM
Samurai have the following class feature replacements from Cavalier

Tactician -> Resolve
Cavalier's Charge -> Weapon Expertise
Expert Trainer -> Mounted Archer
Greater Tactician -> Greater Resolve
Mighty Charge -> Honorable Stand
Master Tactician -> True Resolve
Supreme Charge -> Last Stand

Any cavalier archetypes that do not replace any of these are fair game for a samurai, for example Wave Rider. But there aren't many.

Honest Tiefling
2015-10-22, 11:25 AM
As for what to call them, would it be possible to crib some setting from Legend of the Five Rings? I would assume Samurai would normally be split up depending on who they serve, but if your kiddies are on the chaotic side of things, WELL...So I suggest that the individual types of Samurai might hail from different clans/regions of wherever this takes place.

The Alternative would be to use Japanese names, but in my experience, people will forget any name in any language they are not familiar with. But given that they voted on Japanese, maybe they have an interest in it? Perhaps poll THEM for some Japanese sounding names they like.

DedWards
2015-10-22, 12:38 PM
...with a pic of the iconic (replacing a few iconics who have costumes that... might jumpstart puberty, and we don't need that)...

How realistic / cartoonish would you like these images? I'm sure I can find a few

alchemyprime
2015-10-22, 02:18 PM
How realistic / cartoonish would you like these images? I'm sure I can find a few

I already found them all for now, but if you'd like, I could make a post later with my "intro folders" as PDFs. A few buddies of mine want to use them for their new-to-PFRPG players already. :smallsmile:

DedWards
2015-10-22, 11:23 PM
I already found them all for now, but if you'd like, I could make a post later with my "intro folders" as PDFs. A few buddies of mine want to use them for their new-to-PFRPG players already. :smallsmile:

That'd be great, please do :D

alchemyprime
2015-10-24, 01:31 AM
That'd be great, please do :D

Done and done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?453088-My-Introduction-Folders&p=19989642#post19989642)