PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Clerical Error

Xuldarinar
2015-10-22, 05:01 PM
There at times seems to be this preconceived notion that knowledge we'd have as players regarding a setting translates to common knowledge, knowledge our characters know, or at least easily corrected knowledge among the people populating a setting. This thread isn't about that, but something diverging from it. I am curious to see concepts of characters reverent to a particular deity or demigod, and they have things... wrong. They may have misinterpreted something, or have been misinformed, but what ever the case may be their belief is rooted in some actual aspect of their patron, but their conclusions are simply wrong.

For example; Lets say you have someone who is devoted to Folca. Somewhere along the way, they only picked up that sweets were among their areas of concerned and clung to that. Perhaps they were confused or misinformed in being raised by or around a worshipper of Folca, or maybe they misunderstood something they heard or read.

Or, going from another discussion; You could have someone who worships Azathoth and believes the "daemon sultan" has some sort of profound connection with daemons.

Geddy2112
2015-10-22, 09:31 PM
My gaming group once had a party paladin, devoted to gorum...by accident. He was a fighter and leader, and somehow when Gorum showed him favor, he thought it meant for him to go do right by good and justice in the world. People, particularly fellow followers were often confused.

BowStreetRunner
2015-10-22, 10:10 PM
Under the leadership of Captain Oram 'Saltweather' Hughe the pirates operating out of the Port Desperation managed to successfully take control of the entire archipelago and establish their own country. Saltweather was named the country's new king and he established a regular government and even a formal navy. However, his reign was short-lived as the high priestess of Besmara determined that a pirate going legitimate, and especially a large group of pirates going legitimate, flew in the face of the Besmaran religious beliefs. The high priestess led a coup against Saltweather that led to his death and the return of the people of Port Desperation to the illegal life of pirates once more.

Psyren
2015-10-22, 10:26 PM
The only clear example I can think of for this sort of thing is Razmir - the fact that he's not actually a god and that his "clerics" are actually sorcerers is not common knowledge.

As far as Azathoth, well, anyone who worships him (or any of the other GOOs) is likely crazy enough to believe the moon is a giant d20 made of cheese so why not.

Xuldarinar
2015-10-23, 12:48 AM
Well, if we want to go off of official examples, we could look at the heretics of Nocticula who believe she is a demigoddess of outcasts, artists, and the glories of midnight. But...

Anyways, another notion: Someone who's view of Dispater and subsequent worship is based on one piece of (relatively obscure?) knowledge, that Dispater believes in the virtues of courtly love.

Arbane
2015-10-23, 02:03 AM
Not reverent, but I think I heard this story on this forum.

Cleric Player: "So, what does my character know about Cthulhu?"
(Rolls a 1)
GM: (Straightfaced) "He is a friendly northern river deity."

Florian
2015-10-24, 06:10 AM
Faiths&Philosophies is very informative on that topic.
The best known example would be the dawnflower heresy, when followers have a vastly different view on their godesses portfolio. They even asked her about it and she just shrugged.

Strigon
2015-10-24, 07:33 AM
Not reverent, but I think I heard this story on this forum.

Cleric Player: "So, what does my character know about Cthulhu?"
(Rolls a 1)
GM: (Straightfaced) "He is a friendly northern river deity."

I'm impressed; I could never keep anything even approaching a straight face telling him that!

Xuldarinar
2015-10-24, 07:49 AM
The gods of old are a pantheon of deities, ranging from being Neutral Good, Lawful Good, and Lawful Neutral.

Azathoth: Deity of music.
Bokrug: Deity of fortunate.
C'thulu: Deity of rivers.
Hastur: Deity of nobility.
Mhar: Deity of the hearth.
Nyarlathotep: Deity of cats. Name sounds like one they would be sometimes revered in Osirion.
Shub-niggurath: Deity of birth and forests.
Xhamen-Dor: Deity of lakes.
Yog-sothoth: Deity of time.

Novawurmson
2015-10-25, 03:53 AM
In Pathfinder, there's the old "Paladin of Asmodeus" debate (an old Paizo document said they exist; it was errata'ed later to say some followers of Asmodeus call themselves paladins to elicit sympathy from the masses).

In Eberron, most followers of the Blood of Vol don't know Vol exists or that she's a lich.

Eberron actually has a ton of "X deity is worshipped in this way by this group but that way by that group," often by different names.

Florian
2015-10-25, 04:13 AM
In Pathfinder, there's the old "Paladin of Asmodeus" debate (an old Paizo document said they exist; it was errata'ed later to say some followers of Asmodeus call themselves paladins to elicit sympathy from the masses).

The Godclaw pantheon is still open to paladins, though, and they can become Hellknights.