PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Healer Feat

DracoKnight
2015-10-22, 05:15 PM
So, one of the other local DMs and I were reading over the Healer feat and it says:

PHB pg. 167 As an action, you can spend one use of a healer’s kit to tend to a creature and restore 1d6 + 4 hit points to it, plus additional hit points equal to the creature’s maximum number of Hit Dice. The creature can’t regain hit points from this feat again until it finishes a short or long rest.

Does WotC mean the number of Hit Dice that you possess, or the maximum number that you can get by rolling those Hit Dice? It seems like if they meant the number of Dice, they would say "Character Level." Is this an instance of DM fiat, or are we missing something?

Alikat
2015-10-22, 05:21 PM
I've been wondering about this too. I translate it as basically character level + 1d6+4. I thought I remember seeing some ranger variant that had 2d6 HD though. It would mean they get more out of it than other classes. Or it could be worded that way for use on monsters? Do monsters still have HD in this edition? I don't have an MM with me.

DracoKnight
2015-10-22, 05:37 PM
I've been wondering about this too. I translate it as basically character level + 1d6+4. I thought I remember seeing some ranger variant that had 2d6 HD though. It would mean they get more out of it than other classes. Or it could be worded that way for use on monsters? Do monsters still have HD in this edition? I don't have an MM with me.

Monsters do still have HD. There is a Ranger Variant from the Unearthed Arcana that has 2d6 as their class HD. The main reason the other DM and I were asking is that if it's 1d6 + 4 + Maximum possible hp obtainable from HD this makes the Thief a better combat medic than the Life Cleric :P

EDIT: Cuz, if that's the case you can attack (potentially getting Sneak Attack off) then run and heal your buddy.

Strill
2015-10-22, 06:18 PM
It seems like if they meant the number of Dice, they would say "Character Level."No. The UA Ranger gets multiple hit dice per level. It means the maximum number of dice, which for most classes is your level.

SharkForce
2015-10-22, 07:33 PM
also, a number of monsters don't have a level, they have hit dice.

they just mean the number of hit dice you have. usually, for a PC, that is the same as level. it won't be if you're healing a paladin's mount, a wizard's familiar, or a town guard who was injured while helping you defend the gate, because none of them have a level at all.

Vogonjeltz
2015-10-23, 04:00 PM
Does WotC mean the number of Hit Dice that you possess, or the maximum number that you can get by rolling those Hit Dice? It seems like if they meant the number of Dice, they would say "Character Level." Is this an instance of DM fiat, or are we missing something?

The ability says the number of hit dice.

Otherwise (to mean what you were suggesting) it would have to say it added the maximum value of a characters maximum hit dice.

Goodberry
2015-10-23, 04:19 PM
The ability says the number of hit dice.

Otherwise (to mean what you were suggesting) it would have to say it added the maximum value of a characters maximum hit dice.

Also, and more to the point, the maximum value of the character's maximum hit dice would be ridiculously out of scale with any other method of healing except high-level cleric spells. It would dwarf Lay on Hands and massively out-heal Cure Wounds. What on Faerun would make you think that's what they meant?

ruy343
2015-10-23, 04:32 PM
I think that the developers made that choice to account for the use of a healer's kit on any of the animals that characters might come into contact with on their journeys. Familiars, polymorphed druids, rangers' pets, and others all could benefit from a healer's kit, so it really is just easier to rule that the benefits are based on hit dice rather than character/monster level.

SharkForce
2015-10-23, 05:21 PM
I think that the developers made that choice to account for the use of a healer's kit on any of the animals that characters might come into contact with on their journeys. Familiars, polymorphed druids, rangers' pets, and others all could benefit from a healer's kit, so it really is just easier to rule that the benefits are based on hit dice rather than character/monster level.

not just animals. as i noted above, NPCs also have no levels in 5e.

ruy343
2015-10-23, 05:40 PM
not just animals. as i noted above, NPCs also have no levels in 5e.

Point to Sharkforce.