PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed What LA Would You Assign the Stellar Deva?

Solaris
2015-10-22, 10:04 PM
Found in an old, old article, the stellar devas (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20001101a) are kinda neat and low-HD celestials that seem like natural evolutions of lantern archons. I'm considering picking one up for my paladin character's cohort, and wanted input on the level adjustment you'd assign them (the starkin in particular). It looks to me to be about a +3 or +4, given the special abilities and big whopping stat adjustments. What would you give it, and why?

Flickerdart
2015-10-22, 10:14 PM
Well, let's try the ol' "what level guy are they close to" game.

Touch-attack lasers are most like the warlock. 4d8 is close enough to 5d6, which warlocks get at level 9. Emotion is a 4th level Wiz/Sorc spell, and warlocks gain equivalent-level invocations at level 6. All-day flight is an obvious comparison, though the celestial has a great speed. 1d6 stun seems like a fairly decent invocation-level spell. Then there's the better DR, the SR, the stellar Fire resistance, the ability scores... On the other hand, you only get a small amount of HP and BAB.

Honestly, I'd peg this thing as +4 or maybe even +5.

Zanos
2015-10-22, 10:17 PM
3 energy immunities, resist 20 to another, all around great stat adjustments, protective aura, and some pretty good SLAs. +4 seems about right.

Troacctid
2015-10-22, 10:19 PM
I don't think there's any LA where it would be reasonable for a PC. Either the effects come online too early, or the level adjustment is so high as to make it unplayable. I guess I'd start at +4 (cohort), or +5 with the elite array, making its ECL equal to its CR.

Solaris
2015-10-22, 10:52 PM
I don't think there's any LA where it would be reasonable for a PC. Either the effects come online too early, or the level adjustment is so high as to make it unplayable.

That was my thinking as well. It's... well, you can tell the monster was designed early on in D&D 3.5E's run. There are a pile of potent abilities, and many of them too powerful for its HD and HP. That's what made balance wonky, and made me want to pick up some more opinions on estimating the LA.