PDA

View Full Version : The spells left out of the PHB, Confused? so am I.

1Forge
2015-10-23, 12:06 AM
So I was working on my game recently and I discovered some spells I wad using weren't in the PHB! After some research I discovered spells like absorb elements, and Aganazzars scorcher weren't in the PHB at all. Is there a reason for this? And if so what other spells am i missing out on?

Malifice
2015-10-23, 12:06 AM
Theyre in the EE players guide mate.

Demonic Spoon
2015-10-23, 01:06 AM
So I was working on my game recently and I discovered some spells I wad using weren't in the PHB! After some research I discovered spells like absorb elements, and Aganazzars scorcher weren't in the PHB at all. Is there a reason for this? And if so what other spells am i missing out on?

The PHB is the source of information for players. The reason for this is that you were using sources that included material beyond that in the PHB (in this case, a published online supplement for EE-themed games).

1Forge
2015-10-23, 08:20 AM
Ohh so its like unearthed arcana classes? Online variant material?

JAL_1138
2015-10-23, 08:25 AM
They're also in Princes of the Apocalypse, I think. Haven't looked in a while, may be wrong.

They're not UA material, which is still "rough draft" and in playtesting. The EE stuff is "published" (and legal in League, except the Aaracokra race).

Demonic Spoon
2015-10-23, 11:18 AM
Ohh so its like unearthed arcana classes? Online variant material?

Sort of.

Unearthed Arcana stuff is explicitly playtest material - it is explicitly not published content, and it often needs some playtesting. It's not polished to the level of released content.

EE is a published supplement - most of the stuff in EE has the same general quality as that in the PHB. That said, EE material isn't necessarily available by default (it's good practice to ask the DM).

FatherLiir
2015-10-24, 10:15 AM
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/elementalevil_playerscompanion

You can find all of those spells in the FREE PDF at the above URL =)
Most of the spells are centered around the four elements with a few other neat spells too such as Catapult and "Name which escapes me's Horrid Wilting"

ALSO in the document are three other races (Two Brand new ones the Aakroka and the Golaiath, and a Subrace for Gnomes called the Deep Gnomes). Enjoy!

NNescio
2015-10-24, 10:47 AM
... You can find all of those spells in the FREE PDF at the above URL =)
Most of the spells are centered around the four elements with a few other neat spells too such as Catapult and "Name which escapes me's Horrid Wilting" ...!

Ah yes, that spell. We like to joke on our table that Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting is just horrendously horrid. Just scale up Fireball or some other AoE instead (still probably not worth an 8th level spell slot though). The only conceivable use for this spell is for a Necromancer to AoE blast without harming his skeletons. And it's still a highly questionable use of a 8th level spell slot even then.

At least the 3.5 version allow you to avoid friendly fire (even with living creatures), and it's still a horrid spell.

Firechanter
2015-10-24, 09:32 PM
Note that in 5E, Skeletons (and Zombies and many other Undead) are _not_ immune to Necrotic damage. So Horrid Wilting would catch them just the same.

As for classic spells missing in the PHB, I noticed that there's no more Solid Fog. They probably couldn't think of a way to get this broken spell in line with 5E's power level.

NNescio
2015-10-24, 10:30 PM
Note that in 5E, Skeletons (and Zombies and many other Undead) are _not_ immune to Necrotic damage. ...

Yes.

...So Horrid Wilting would catch them just the same. ...

...but they are still immune to Horrid Wilting because the spell explicitly grants them (and constructs) immunity (to this specific instance of a spell, not necrotic damage in general).

...Each creature in that area must make a Constitution saving throw. Constructs and undead aren't affected, and plants and water elementals make this saving throw with disadvantage. ...

Regardless, eh, it's still horrid.

Firechanter
2015-10-25, 03:10 AM
Ah I missed that, thanks for the heads-up!
But, yeah. ^^

Eragon123
2015-10-25, 10:52 PM
I'm just sore that they put information that's in the free pdf that ISN'T in the actual book.

eastmabl
2015-10-26, 09:36 AM
I'm just sore that they put information that's in the free pdf that ISN'T in the actual book.

Are you upset that Wizards gave us free things that weren't in the PHB? That's a strange complaint, since it's free.

Are you upset that you can't get a dead tree version of the book? (You can - http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/145542/Elemental-Evil-Players-Companion-5e).

Or are there things that are in the PDF that aren't in the dead tree EEPC?

Shining Wrath
2015-10-26, 10:20 AM
Theyre in the EE players guide mate.

Which as others have noted is available online. WotC also posted an article about converting earlier editions to 5, although it's not very detailed.

Finally note that the intro to the spells list in the PHB says these are "some of the more commonly used spells" or words to that effect, so any spells a DM needs for his or her story can be handwaved into existence or homebrewed. Do you need a spell that keeps the king's treasury safe? Abracadabra, the spell exists and his court wizard knows it.

KorvinStarmast
2015-10-26, 01:41 PM
The 8th Level Spell Trap a Soul (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/70270/22566)is listed in the PHB Wizard spell list, but doesn't actually have a spell description.

Most of its functions were folded in to the 9th level spell Imprisonment.

Shining Wrath
2015-10-26, 01:50 PM
The 8th Level Spell Trap a Soul (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/70270/22566)is listed in the PHB Wizard spell list, but doesn't actually have a spell description.

Most of its functions were folded in to the 9th level spell Imprisonment.

That one got caught in the Errata: delete it from the spell list.