PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Moon Druid Proficiencies

steppedonad4
2015-10-23, 04:56 AM
You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus instead of yours.

This is a little bit confusing. On the one hand it's saying you get all the saving throw and skill proficiencies of the creature and use the creature's physical stats, but then it says that you only get the creature's stat bonus if you both have the same proficiency.

So let's say a druid has 8 Str, 8 Dex, 8 Con and isn't proficient in Athletics but the creature he transforms into is proficient and has an 18 Strength score. On the one hand wild shape says that I get the Athletics proficiency and use the creature's 18 Strength bonus for it. On the other, it says I only get the creature's 18 Strength bonus if I also am proficient in Athletics.

Lollerabe
2015-10-23, 05:17 AM
That's not what it says. It says you gain all of the creatures stats and save/skill proficiencies, then it says IF you happen to already have proficiency in the same skill as the creature you use whatever is higher. Don't see how that's confusing.

Doof
2015-10-23, 05:25 AM
When a druid transforms, she keeps which skills/saving throws she is proficient in. That means she uses the proficiency bonus from her druid level and uses the new stat bonus from her form.

In SOME monsters, I don't know if any beasts have it, they are considered extra-proficient in certain skills that they apply twice their own proficiency bonus in the particular skill, like all true dragons with their Perception skill.

The clause only exists alongside the legendary/lair action rule (which no beast in the MM has) to allow for homebrew beast wildshape.

Edit: the Giant Octopus has expertise in Perception and Stealth!

So if a 2nd-level druid of the moon proficient in Stealth transforms into a Giant Octopus, if it merely retained its proficiency in Stealth, then its bonus would be +3 (+2 proficiency +1 Dex). However, since the Giant Octopus is super-douper proficient in Stealth and has a +5 bonus to Stealth (two times its proficiency + 1 Dex), you use that instead.

hymer
2015-10-23, 06:02 AM
I don't know if any beasts have it

All the big cats have it for stealth, at least.

Doof
2015-10-23, 06:06 AM
All the big cats have it for stealth, at least.

yeah I only said that because I didn't have the book handy but it turns out it's not altogether uncommon.

Merudo
2018-06-07, 03:24 PM
Does the Druid being proficient in Athletics carry over for grappling while in Wildshape?

Would that increases the escape DC for, say, the Giant Constrictor Snake?

Corpsecandle717
2018-06-07, 03:37 PM
Does the Druid being proficient in Athletics carry over for grappling while in Wildshape?

Would that increases the escape DC for, say, the Giant Constrictor Snake?

Yes you would retain proficiency in athletics, but it would not affect the escape DC (save vs skill check).
It would however increase the bear's ability to shove someone prone....