PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Where do Warforged Druids fit in? (Eberron)

DragonBaneDM
2015-10-23, 07:23 AM
Hey guys!

So I'm DMing Eberron, and my party is about to get a new member: a warforged druid. The player isn't super into the lore, but I am, so I want to make sure he fits in well.

The Druidic traditions in Eberron that I've seen so far include the Gatekeeper Orcs of the Eldeen Reaches and Oalian's Ashbound, Wardens of the Wood, Greensingers, and the Children of Winter. I'm going to read up on each of these sects to try and find the best fit for a Warforged Druid, but before I do that I figured I'd post on here and ask if anyone has had success with Warforged Druids in past games.

The general plot of my campaign is the same as what I figure most Eberron games are: the daelkyr begin to be freed because of the threat brought on by Drooam, The Lord of Blades, and the general unrest between the Five Nations. It's 5E, but I'm more worried about fluff making sense and this druid's introduction pushing the plot forward than anything else.

I am so tempted to suggest the name Optimus Primal. Let me know what you think!

Murk
2015-10-23, 07:34 AM
A druid warforged is interesting anyway - this obsession of druids with ecology and nature in which warforged quite clearly have no place (yet).
I'd play it that way: the warforged can't be part of any of the existing groups, nor does he feel he has a clearly delineated place in the natural order of things.
He wants to change that.
This is a warforged who's constantly strifing to find a place for himself and his race in nature (maybe even to justify their existence?). Instead of placing him inside one of the existing groups, make him some sort of Start-up Druid: he's trying to form his own, new, group of druids.

DragonBaneDM
2015-10-23, 07:50 AM
Instead of placing him inside one of the existing groups, make him some sort of Start-up Druid: he's trying to form his own, new, group of druids.

I love the term "Start-Up Druid". And yeah! If he's sort of on his own, I can use the introduction of different druidic sects as a sort of side plot. He might be interested in becoming rivals, allies, or merging with them. That might be cool.

Millstone85
2015-10-23, 08:12 AM
A druid warforged is interesting anyway - this obsession of druids with ecology and nature in which warforged quite clearly have no place (yet).Something I have seen pointed out before is that warforged are largely made of wood. There are illustrations depicting ent-like warforged druids, with branches and leaves.

I'd play it that way: the warforged can't be part of any of the existing groups, nor does he feel he has a clearly delineated place in the natural order of things.
He wants to change that.Since the campaign involves the daelkyr and thus presumably the Far Realm / Xoriat, wouldn't it be interesting for the party to meet an alienist with a similar justification to their actions? Sure, these are things Man was not meant to know, monsters that do not belong in this world, but we can change that!

LudicSavant
2015-10-23, 08:24 AM
Hey guys!

So I'm DMing Eberron, and my party is about to get a new member: a warforged druid. The player isn't super into the lore, but I am, so I want to make sure he fits in well.

The Druidic traditions in Eberron that I've seen so far include the Gatekeeper Orcs of the Eldeen Reaches and Oalian's Ashbound, Wardens of the Wood, Greensingers, and the Children of Winter. I'm going to read up on each of these sects to try and find the best fit for a Warforged Druid, but before I do that I figured I'd post on here and ask if anyone has had success with Warforged Druids in past games.

The general plot of my campaign is the same as what I figure most Eberron games are: the daelkyr begin to be freed because of the threat brought on by Drooam, The Lord of Blades, and the general unrest between the Five Nations. It's 5E, but I'm more worried about fluff making sense and this druid's introduction pushing the plot forward than anything else.

I am so tempted to suggest the name Optimus Primal. Let me know what you think!

Eberron has some examples of warforged druidic orders in it, such as the ones that hang out in the Mournlands.

DragonBaneDM
2015-10-23, 08:34 AM
Eberron has some examples of warforged druidic orders in it, such as the ones that hang out in the Mournlands.

I didn't know about these guys! Can you tell me more?

LudicSavant
2015-10-23, 08:55 AM
I didn't know about these guys! Can you tell me more?

Like I said there are a number of orders of warforged druids. One that hangs out in the Mournlands is the Order of the Broken Path. They seek to heal the damage that has been done to the land and hope to learn about their own bonds to nature by restoring life to the arcane hellscape of the Mournlands. Adventurers travelling through the Mournlands sometimes encounter an unusual oasis blossoming under the care of the Order of the Broken Path. Such areas can even be exceptions to the usual rule of healing spells failing to function in the Mournland, and even if not, Broken Path druids carry around goodberries to assist travelers in the Mournlands (though they may ask favors in return).

For the Order of the Broken Path, there is much work to be done, and there are always terrors to fight in the Mournlands.

It's also mentioned that elder Gatekeepers also are interested in using warforged druids as immortal guardians for sealed evils. And that many warforged have joined the Wardens of the Wood.

Regitnui
2015-10-23, 04:02 PM
Great pine Eolian is certainly not one to reject druid hopefuls just because they weren't conceived. Perhaps give the druid the option of a pilgrimage to meet the Greatpine and be officially inducted as a druid. Not necessarily a Warden, since even the Children of Winter acknowledge Oalian's authority.

Also, if you call the warforged druid "Optimus Primal", I swear to Olladra I will mage hand you upside the head. I don't care how many spell levels I have to spend, I will do it.

Enixon
2015-10-23, 11:09 PM
Whatever else you do make sure the Vocal Component of his Flame Blade spell is "Form, Blazing Sword" and that when he casts Produce flame that his hand of his is burning red with a loud roars that tells him to grip victory. :smallbiggrin: