PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.5 Animal Companion maximization. Limited to core books. Halp!

TomeGnome
2015-10-23, 06:48 PM
The title is pretty self explanatory. We're trying to build a pure druid with all core books (meaning the holy trinity of PHB, DMG, MM. Nothing else.) and create the most combat-adept companion.

I've been doing a lot of digging, and my main question is why people would ever want to stick with lower tier animal companions. I get that you get bonus HD and extra tricks and all, but... a dire bear with a Str in the 30's is going to hit harder than a badger. I don't foresee any real combat advantage to the few boosts you get along the way from staying the course from your good old LV1 options.

That being said, feat choices are extremely limited in the basic books, so I feel like animal choice will be even more essential.

Troacctid
2015-10-23, 06:58 PM
You're absolutely right that higher-level companions are the better bet. What level are you?

Ellowryn
2015-10-23, 07:53 PM
In core only then yes, it is usually better to grab higher level companions once they become available. Its once you get out of core that such powerhouses like Fleshrakers and Magebred Tigers become the best possible companion you could have at any higher level.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-10-23, 07:58 PM
The only reason to stick with a lower leveled companion in core is if you're constantly in narrow corridors, because all the higher level ones are at least large (iirc).
The same is mostly true for non-core as well, with the Fleshraker being the notable exception. But a lot of DMs ban those anyway since they're already pretty silly even without Venomfire.

TomeGnome
2015-10-23, 09:16 PM
We just hit level 5, so I could technically dismiss my companion at this point for an ape or a black bear. Up until this point, I've had a squid that I kept in a barrel on my back. (Don't ask. It made sense at the time, and we actually used him to drown a few people, but it's time to change out for a better model)

Kraken
2015-10-23, 09:40 PM
There was a campaign where I stuck with a riding dog the entire way because we were in cities frequently, and I could get away with having a dog (my character pretended to be blind), but would not have been able to finagle bringing a bear into a lot of places.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-10-24, 05:39 AM
We just hit level 5, so I could technically dismiss my companion at this point for an ape or a black bear. Up until this point, I've had a squid that I kept in a barrel on my back. (Don't ask. It made sense at the time, and we actually used him to drown a few people, but it's time to change out for a better model)

The black bear isn't very good. If you want a bear i'd advise waiting until level 7 for the brown bear.
Of the level 4 companions you have pretty much 3 choices in core:
The ape has reach and solid stats, and it's pretty much the best allrounder of the three. It's also large while the other two are medium.
The leopard has the highest damage potential thanks to pounce and rake, but it's very fragile.
The wolverine has solid damage potential and decent toughness along with rage, so it's good in combat. It also has Track as a bonus feat and a burrow speed for utility, making it probably the best medium animal in core-only games.

Theodred theOld
2015-10-24, 12:24 PM
I have to agree with sleepyphoenix. I would go for the ape or the riding dog until brown bear becomes available. Although I ran a game once where a small druid made really excellent use of a cheetah. Not really a combat powerhouse but when you need to get somewhere...

TomeGnome
2015-10-25, 12:29 AM
Alright. That clears a lot up. My last big struggle now is feats. I'm kinda shying away from summoning as a major focus. My DM has ruled that he's cool with an ape wild shape wielding a weapon and making iterative attacks on top of natural, and then eventually shifting focus (pun intended) to huge earth elemental.

The eventual thought is to wield a huge great club, cast Shillelagh on it so it deals colossal damage plus awesome strength damage (also something DM and I are debating right now since it's not explicitly allowed but doesn't make logical sense to disallow for any reason other than balance), and then use quickened spell casting to increase DPR and then heals as needed.

At the moment, feats are:
1 - Weapon Focus (great club) - about to retrain from scimitar
3 - Combat Casting - already taken
6 - Natural Spell - next level
9 - Quicken Spell
12 - Leadership (Part of our larger super objective. We plan to start a cult to take over the world. Evil campaigns FTW!) :3
15 - Power Attack
18 - Combat Reflexes

Power Attack and Combat Reflexes are questionable, especially since higher level druid spells are boss and should probably be some of my focus. Still, I only have so many options in the 3 core books. Thoughts?

daremetoidareyo
2015-10-25, 12:55 AM
15 - Power Attack
18 - Combat Reflexes

Power Attack and Combat Reflexes are questionable, especially since higher level druid spells are boss and should probably be some of my focus. Still, I only have so many options in the 3 core books. Thoughts?

Consider crafting feats. You might have to make your own amulet of natural attacks.

eggynack
2015-10-25, 02:04 AM
Extend spell is decent, though perhaps unnecessary alongside the powerful rods of extend spell. Flyby attack is also pretty good, especially cause you can use it with spells. Crafting feats are also, as noted, useful enough, especially craft wondrous. Realistically though, feats are only going to do so much for a druid in core. Natural spell is amazing, but you already have that, and beyond that, your highly powerful class features will largely overshadow most feats, and you don't have access to the kinds of feats that make your class features stronger. Augment summoning is so often suggested, not because it's an amazing feat, but because it's a reasonable option in a sea of mediocrity. Might be worth picking it up despite a lack of summoning focus, on the premise that you're probably going to get some use out of it at some point. But, y'know, you'll be fine either way. Just make sure you maintain a good spell list, and your druid should do quite well.