PDA

View Full Version : Possession (Chained) and Consequences

g3taso
2015-10-23, 09:17 PM
I was looking at the Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead and I came across Toben the Many. Essentially, Toben the many is a single consciousness inhabiting hundreds of bodies. At one moment he may be conversing with prey in one body, while walking through the city streets in others, and searching a house in another. Really a fabulous concept. And that leads me to the Pathfinder spell "Possession (Greater)" at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/possession (open source content).

And there it is. Take Greater Possession and use Chain Spell on it, and you possess 13 or more bodies at a time. I can see how a curse could twist this into Toben the Many, or some sort of magical accident. Or on purpose.

It seems to me that in this chained form, at the end of the spell duration I mysteriously become 13 or more "me", or I can choose which "me" reappears by which former occupied critter, or more intriguingly whether I am released from duration altogether and can become Toben the Many without it being an accident or a curse.

What do you guys think? What are any consequences, good or bad I might not have considered?

MasterFu
2015-10-30, 08:41 PM
I was looking at the Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead and I came across Toben the Many. Essentially, Toben the many is a single consciousness inhabiting hundreds of bodies. At one moment he may be conversing with prey in one body, while walking through the city streets in others, and searching a house in another. Really a fabulous concept. And that leads me to the Pathfinder spell "Possession (Greater)" at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/possession (open source content).

And there it is. Take Greater Possession and use Chain Spell on it, and you possess 13 or more bodies at a time. I can see how a curse could twist this into Toben the Many, or some sort of magical accident. Or on purpose.

It seems to me that in this chained form, at the end of the spell duration I mysteriously become 13 or more "me", or I can choose which "me" reappears by which former occupied critter, or more intriguingly whether I am released from duration altogether and can become Toben the Many without it being an accident or a curse.

What do you guys think? What are any consequences, good or bad I might not have considered?

This could be hilarious if you don't control some/all of the duplicates (calvinandhobbes.wikia.com/wiki/Calvin's_Unethicated_Duplicates).