PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 'Technical Fighter'

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-24, 12:22 AM
So through lots of luck, I drew the Knight card from the Deck of Many Things. The GM's tweaked it so its a Follower that levels with me, instead of staying at level 4. However, I'll have to equip him with my share of the loot. I was handed a sheet, and as of right now I can't change what's been decided (will look into retraining).

Drow Fighter 3
Str 16
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 13
Wis 10
Chas 14
(I have no idea how he genned these stats, but its better than the PC generation we used).
Darklands Stalker alternate Racial
Feats: Combat Expertise
Improved Disarm
Quick Draw

He wields a Shortsword and a Heavy Steel Shield.

I want to try and keep him as a 'technical fighter' as the GM called him. I took a quick look through feats and... I'm not really impressed. What are good Pathfinder Fighter feats? Is there anything on this base I can expand upon? I don't want him to be a big damage dealer (don't want to steal the Barbarian PC's thunder with my NPC buddy).

Dusk Eclipse
2015-10-24, 12:24 AM
Sources available?

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-24, 12:29 AM
Anything on the SRD is open. 3.5 material is case by case but most likely no.

LTwerewolf
2015-10-24, 12:30 AM
Path of war warder or warlord would be good.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-10-24, 12:33 AM
Dirty Fighting is the Quintiessential technical fighter feat, read it and love it.

You can take advantage of a distracted foe.

Benefit(s): When you attempt a combat maneuver check against a foe you are flanking, you can forgo the +2 bonus on your attack roll for flanking to instead have the combat maneuver not provoke an attack of opportunity. If you have a feat or ability that allows you to attempt the combat maneuver without provoking an attack of opportunity, you can instead increase the bonus on your attack roll for flanking to +4 for the combat maneuver check.

Special: This feat counts as having Dex 13, Int 13, Combat Expertise, and Improved Unarmed Strike for the purposes of meeting the prerequisites of the various improved combat maneuver feats, as well as feats that require those improved combat maneuver feats as prerequisites.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-24, 12:39 AM
Path of war warder or warlord would be good.

I forgot to mention, I'm not allowed to give him any class besides plain Fighter. So no Warlord or Magus.

LTwerewolf
2015-10-24, 12:41 AM
I forgot to mention, I'm not allowed to give him any class besides plain Fighter. So no Warlord or Magus.

Any archetypes allowed?

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-24, 12:43 AM
Any archetypes allowed?

Plain Fighter. He already has 3 levels, I can't take an archetype after already having levels as far as I'm aware.

LTwerewolf
2015-10-24, 12:50 AM
Outside of using combat maneuvers, with such strict lines there's not a lot you'll be able to do with it. Be aware that drow fighters get the favored class bonus to disarm and reposition.

TheIronGolem
2015-10-24, 12:52 AM
The Martial Training (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats) feat chain wouldn't go amiss.

Tuvarkz
2015-10-24, 04:34 AM
So through lots of luck, I drew the Knight card from the Deck of Many Things. The GM's tweaked it so its a Follower that levels with me, instead of staying at level 4. However, I'll have to equip him with my share of the loot. I was handed a sheet, and as of right now I can't change what's been decided (will look into retraining).

Drow Fighter 3
Str 16
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 13
Wis 10
Chas 14
(I have no idea how he genned these stats, but its better than the PC generation we used).
Darklands Stalker alternate Racial
Feats: Combat Expertise
Improved Disarm
Quick Draw

He wields a Shortsword and a Heavy Steel Shield.

I want to try and keep him as a 'technical fighter' as the GM called him. I took a quick look through feats and... I'm not really impressed. What are good Pathfinder Fighter feats? Is there anything on this base I can expand upon? I don't want him to be a big damage dealer (don't want to steal the Barbarian PC's thunder with my NPC buddy).

The problem is, PF Fighters basically are only damage dealers. Some archetypes can give them secondary roles, but they aren't as good at them. Ask for the archetype retrain, it's allowed as per: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/more-character-options/retraining. Drill Sergeant, Eldritch Knight,Lore Warden, Psionic Fighter, or Martial Master are good archetypes.

Taveena
2015-10-24, 10:28 AM
Plain Fighter. He already has 3 levels, I can't take an archetype after already having levels as far as I'm aware.

You're actually allowed to change archetypes with the Retraining rules, for what it's worth. I doubt your GM will go for it, though.

LTwerewolf
2015-10-24, 10:44 AM
Yeah, it's probably better to go find yourself a new fledgling and pay them some gold to have them go with you than to take someone at level 4 that you're not really allowed to make good in any way. Also equipping them through your share of the loot means either he'll be way behind (and more useless) or you'll both be relatively behind and both have a much harder time.

avr
2015-10-24, 11:10 AM
With a 10 wisdom and a poor will save, probably a few levels behind the party, this guy's going to fail every will save ever. A wayfinder and a clear spindle ioun stone mitigates this a little if you're using the fixed resonant powers option.

If he's a worshipper of Desna or willing to convert to Desna's worship then Butterfly's Sting (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Butterfly's%20Sting) can make him useful to others, especially the barbarian. Combat Reflexes and Bodyguard is religion-neutral and makes him a minor AC buff when he's hanging around. If anyone else in the party is willing to take teamwork feats then he can be useful to them with Outflank or Paired Opportunists.

There might be something he could do to help which is specific to some other character. Besides the barbarian, what classes are the party made of, and what level are you?

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-24, 11:28 AM
Yeah, it's probably better to go find yourself a new fledgling and pay them some gold to have them go with you than to take someone at level 4 that you're not really allowed to make good in any way. Also equipping them through your share of the loot means either he'll be way behind (and more useless) or you'll both be relatively behind and both have a much harder time.

This dude is only here because I got him via the Deck of Many Things. IC and OOC I had no desire to have a follower. A nitpick, he's level 3 (same as the party) and will level up with us. Its a change the GM made so he doesn't fall behind the party. At the moment, the party is severely over-WBL (about 35K for each PC at level 3) so, at least at the moment, loot splitting isn't that bad. I'm also an Incantor and already have most of the equipment I'll want.

With a 10 wisdom and a poor will save, probably a few levels behind the party, this guy's going to fail every will save ever. A wayfinder and a clear spindle ioun stone mitigates this a little if you're using the fixed resonant powers option.

If he's a worshipper of Desna or willing to convert to Desna's worship then Butterfly's Sting (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Butterfly's%20Sting) can make him useful to others, especially the barbarian. Combat Reflexes and Bodyguard is religion-neutral and makes him a minor AC buff when he's hanging around. If anyone else in the party is willing to take teamwork feats then he can be useful to them with Outflank or Paired Opportunists.

There might be something he could do to help which is specific to some other character. Besides the barbarian, what classes are the party made of, and what level are you?

Wasn't told who he worships, but most likely Lolth, Veharaun (can never spell it right, the masked Drow diety) or Elistrae. We're playing in Fearun. Anyways the party (level 3):

Oakling Barbarian. Not terribly optimized
Elf Cleric of Corellon Lorenthian. Again not optimized.
Kitsune 'Necro Summoner'. Some kind of alteration to Summoner to be a Necromancer. Not sure exactly what this entails, but he hasn't summoned anything but Undead at this point.
Tiefling Investigator 1/ Alchemist 2. She's been flaky lately which sucks since she's our 'rogue.'
Me, Drow Incantor focused on Time and Warp Spheres.

As I was typing this post, GM allowed use of Retraining Rules for Archetypes. So there's that at least.