PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wizard School System Mechanics

ThinkMinty
2015-10-24, 04:09 AM
Can I get an explanation of the Wizard Arcane School Mechanics? I know the opposed school thing is more lax in Pathfinder, but that's all I know about it.

I'm familiar with spell mechanics, spell schools in-and-of-themselves, etc. I just don't know how Wizards interact with that mechanically.

Florian
2015-10-24, 04:28 AM
Well, if you've not chosen to be an Universalist Wizard, you pick one school to specialize in, along with two opposed schools.
Unlike previous editions, you're not banned from learning/using said opposed schools, but spells from that schools count as being two whole spell levels higher for purpose of memorizing and metamagicing them. For example, when evocation is your opposed school, a fireball would be a Wiz5 spell for you.

Crosswinds
2015-10-24, 05:04 AM
Well, if you've not chosen to be an Universalist Wizard, you pick one school to specialize in, along with two opposed schools.
Unlike previous editions, you're not banned from learning/using said opposed schools, but spells from that schools count as being two whole spell levels higher for purpose of memorizing and metamagicing them. For example, when evocation is your opposed school, a fireball would be a Wiz5 spell for you.

That's actually incorrect.

Basically, you get access to your chosen school's powers, as well as a specialty spell slot for each of your spell levels. Basically, you get one additional spell slot of each level you can cast, but you can only prepare a spell of your chosen school in this slot.

Spells from your two opposed slots take two slots to prepare instead of one, though you can eliminate this drawback by taking the Opposition Research Arcane Discovery.

Florian
2015-10-24, 05:24 AM
Yep, an error on my part. You answered before I could correcr myself ;)