PDA

View Full Version : second campaign help

BillyN831
2015-10-24, 05:43 AM
i've played one campaign hoard of the dragon queen with three other players and we really struggled. i was recommended by a dungeon master from another group we struggled probably because we didn't have a cleric to heal.

is a cleric an optimal class choice? and for another question, what second campaigns are great for two players at level 1 each? a custom maybe? thanks.

Malifice
2015-10-24, 05:58 AM
Find more players man.

One of you go a moon Druid with the healer feat. It'll help immensely.

Celcey
2015-10-24, 01:18 PM
I don't know of any campaigns that start at first level except for the one in the starter set. But if you've got two players and you're starting at first level, be careful! First level characters are extremely squishy, and the game is balanced towards parties of four. Make sure your DM is well aware, especially if you've had trouble before. (This is suing that what you had trouble with was fighting. It was role-playing s this is suing that what you had trouble with was fighting. It was role-playing stuff, that's a bit different.)

As for Clerics, they're an excellent class, but you don't need one. Bards, Druids, Paladins, and Rangers can all heal perfectly well, and even without any of those classes, you should be just fine. Just be careful and pick your battles wisely.

RealCheese
2015-10-25, 10:05 AM
Hoard, especially the first few acts, is a brutal campaign. 2 players is a little low though. Perhaps consider running 2 characters each?

sophontteks
2015-10-25, 04:18 PM
Healing is weak in d&d. Its not vital to the party. If the idea is for someone to play cleric strictly to heal, that is a waste of resources.

In d&d, damage > healing. The average damage spell will out do its equivalent healing spell. The best solution is to use abilities which avoid the damage from happening at all.

moon druid- its wild shapes can absorb damage, the druid has efficient heals between fights, and lots of battlefield control. Solid choice.

Paladin- I like the ancients paladin best. As a passive ability, which is always active, the paladin will give everyone nearby a bonus to their saving throws, and give everyone nearby resistance to ALL spells. On top of this the paladin could cast bless (another 1d4 added to all party saves and attacks while active), and he can heal disease, poison, and hit point damage with his healing hands.

Bard- Battlefield control like crazy, skill monkey for avoiding encounters or improving the party's position before encounters begin. Great spell list. Also heals if necessary. The bards mechanic is terrible for roleplay (makes no sense) but allowing people to reroll at key moments is a big advantage.

Illusion wizard- ultimate battlefield control, takes some time to get good though. Illusionist wizards eventually gain the ability to make their illusions real. A power that is limited only by the player's imagination.

EDIT:
Also, before anyone gets upset.
Clerics- They are NOT heal bots. In fact they can be amazing casters, blasters, and even pretty good fighters. They are a great pick, but don't focus on their healing. You will gimp your cleric. Read the cleric guide here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?374604-The-Devout-and-the-Dead-a-guide-to-Clerics
Note what he stresses in his summary, about how he ruined his first cleric because his party told him he should just heal. Thats for MMORPGs, not d&d.

Safety Sword
2015-10-25, 04:58 PM
The campaigns are designed for 4 - 5 players in general, so that is a factor.

Also, yes HotDQ is especially brutal at the start.

Don't worry if you've struggled with that, that all sounds normal.

woodlandkammao
2015-10-25, 05:27 PM
War or Light Clerics actually make sense thematically as Party leader, with the whole religious army theme. And both are quite strong vs groups of Kobolds in my experience.