PDA

View Full Version : Fast Ninja's

Cowboy_ninja
2007-05-25, 12:10 AM
i want my ninja's base speed to go up! any suggestions?

feats?

quick 1-2 lvl multiclasses?

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-25, 12:11 AM
Dash for +5 feet.

Barbarin gives +10

Monk give it over time as well.

But Ninja? Seriously, Ninja?

Cowboy_ninja
2007-05-25, 12:31 AM
Dash for +5 feet.

Barbarin gives +10

Monk give it over time as well.

But Ninja? Seriously, Ninja?

he got great leap......... ninjas are good! i won a little tornament with one. went up the 2-weap fighting tree. ghost step w/ 6 sudden strikes = dead sauce!!

but i wanted to ask. does dash stack? can i take it more than once?

TheOOB
2007-05-25, 12:35 AM
Wait, ninja as in the complete scoundral class, the oriental adventures PrC, or the acually historical representation of a ninja (which is an assassin).

Anyways, the easiest way to raise your speed at lower levels are boots of striding and springing. They are cheep, effective, give you a jump bonus, and you won't find better boots for a long time (especially if you have UMD and thus can use wands of fly and haste)

Saph
2007-05-25, 05:17 AM
I'd recommend boots of striding and springing as well. They're in the SRD, here's the link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofStridingandSpringing).

- Saph

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-05-25, 05:38 AM
Wait, ninja as in the complete scoundral class, the oriental adventures PrC, or the acually historical representation of a ninja (which is an assassin).

are you sure you don't mean complete adventurer? my money would be on that one since he mentions ghost steps and sudden strikes. also if my memory hasn't failed me, the oriental version was called ninja spy. then I'm left wondering about your assasin comment, do you mean the assasin prc is closest to a real ninja, or do you beleve real ninja's were only good for assasination?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-25, 07:08 AM
are you sure you don't mean complete adventurer? my money would be on that one since he mentions ghost steps and sudden strikes. also if my memory hasn't failed me, the oriental version was called ninja spy. then I'm left wondering about your assasin comment, do you mean the assasin prc is closest to a real ninja, or do you beleve real ninja's were only good for assasination?

It's a good thing to point out that Ninja don't have to be limited to assasinations. However the spellcasting part of the Assasin Prc makes it more Ninja-like (so what if real Ninja didn't cast spells, real monks can't run that fast) than Hashishim-like.

He'd mean Complete Adventurer.

Oriental Adventures has Ninja Spy and its acrobatic madness, Sword and Fist has the more combat orientated Ninja of the Crescent Moon, Tome of Battle has the Shadowsun Ninja (also known as the master of wtf) and the Rokugan campaign setting book (3rd party) has a differant Ninja base class.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-25, 08:10 AM
but i wanted to ask. does dash stack? can i take it more than once?

It never states it does so I don't think so.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-25, 09:35 AM
It never states it does so I don't think so.
Personally, I think Dash should stack.

Otherwise, you have to be a monk to be a world-class sprinter. That's just... no.

It you can gain psionic ability, there is Speed of Thought—+10 ft. while psionically focused and unencumbered.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-05-25, 10:35 AM
Not to mention Up the Walls. :smallsmile:

Cowboy_ninja
2007-05-26, 01:19 AM

Anyways, the easiest way to raise your speed at lower levels are boots of striding and springing. They are cheep, effective, give you a jump bonus, and you won't find better boots for a long time (especially if you have UMD and thus can use wands of fly and haste)

Ninja as in complete adventure

Cowboy_ninja
2007-05-26, 01:29 AM
Not to mention Up the Walls. :smallsmile:

thats what im talkn about!

im working on a character that can "move." i was originally going with the ninja b/c he got speed climb, then quickly dab into theif acrobat (PrC in Complete adventurer),barbarian for a bit more speed, and maybe beguilder for a few mor tricks (including expedius retreat).

i had this envisionment of my character runing up the wall with speed climb then when he ran up his max ( move action )he would throw his grappling hook (standard) for the extra 50 ft (with maxed out use rope)

however im now thinking of a different approach. instead of the 7 lvls in ninja to get the speed climb, go with the variant scout in PHBII where i get a climb speed = half my base speed (3 lvls). keep the barbarian, beguilder, and theif acrobat.....

thoughts opinions?

brian c
2007-05-26, 10:07 AM
Personally, I think Dash should stack.

Otherwise, you have to be a monk to be a world-class sprinter. That's just... no.

It you can gain psionic ability, there is Speed of Thought—+10 ft. while psionically focused and unencumbered.

Actually, Barbarians can be world class sprinters too. There was a thread a couple months back where I, among others, discussed this. Dash doesn't stack by RAW, but there's also a feat in Homebrew right now that's basically a stacking Dash, and I think most people would allow it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-26, 10:55 AM
Actually, Barbarians can be world class sprinters too. There was a thread a couple months back where I, among others, discussed this.
I think you need a bit more than +10 ft. movement for that. Short of stacking all sorts of magical items—which goes against the actual "natural sprinter" idea was thinking of—I'm not sure how the barbarian really competes.

Aximili
2007-05-26, 11:25 AM
There's a feat in player's guide to faerun. It is a 1st level-only feat and gives you a +10ft bonus to base speed.

Much better than dash:smallwink:

Person_Man
2007-05-26, 12:10 PM
Buy a mount. If you're really into your mount, you can use Leadership to get a good one as a cohort.

A Marshal can grant an extra move action. (Again, you can get one with Leadership). White Raven Tactics can grant an extra action, though you'll need a Tome of Battle class to use it.

Hustle can grant an extra move action. You'd have to invest in Wild Talent and make a custom psionic item to use it though.

Also, I'd like to say that from a tactical perspective, you really don't need a base land speed faster then 40ish. After the first round of combat, everyone tends to clump together. Rogues and Ninja have to stay within 30 ft for Precision damage to work. Even arcane spellcasters tend not to march too far away from the main group. The tabletop is only so big, and hex/grid maps are even smaller. And if you're in a dungeon, then the room you have to maneuver is even smaller. There are certainly exceptions (We need to chase down this evil villain before he gets away, and our horses are still tied up at the inn!) but they're generally rare.

Also, if you're really interested in being maneuverable on the battlefield, I suggest 6 levels of Scout. In addition to Tumble and Fast Movement, they get Flawless Stride, which is priceless if your DM uses a lot of terrain, as I do.