PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Filling Your Dungeon

nakedonmyfoldin
2015-10-24, 08:59 AM
http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DMG_292_3.pdf

I found this neat resource from WotC that has a couple of tables to help with stocking your dungeon with rooms. I find sometimes that I draw a blank when trying to think of "room purposes", so these tables were a pretty neat find.

Does anyone else have any similar resources/suggestions on deciding what kind of rooms to use in your dungeon?

ThinkMinty
2015-10-24, 09:10 AM
Why not make your dungeon one enormous room? It'd be akin to some kind of demented Ikea full of patrolling minions and affordable shelves.

ericgrau
2015-10-24, 10:27 AM
Neat, I'm saving that.

I would consider the plot, the motivation of the baddies and what they would therefore build and plan. Once you put yourself in the shoes of the baddies not only does the world make more sense but also it opens up the world to a greater level of depth and strategies. I would consider everything right down to the chamber pots and where/when they empty them. That opens up 100 more clever plans for PCs, NPCs and monsters. Rather than "Openly walk in, kill foe, repeat."

nakedonmyfoldin
2015-10-24, 02:20 PM
Neat, I'm saving that.

I would consider the plot, the motivation of the baddies and what they would therefore build and plan. Once you put yourself in the shoes of the baddies not only does the world make more sense but also it opens up the world to a greater level of depth and strategies. I would consider everything right down to the chamber pots and where/when they empty them. That opens up 100 more clever plans for PCs, NPCs and monsters. Rather than "Openly walk in, kill foe, repeat."

Totally agree, but I guess it would be very interesting to get seriously into detail (ex. where they empty chamber pots, could have a separate room with some kind of vermin or aberration or elemental. wounds = filth fever). Typically it boils down to where they eat, sleep, and do their job, but there really is more to any given creature's life.