Succubus/Incubus

Medium fiend (shapechanger)
Speed: 30ft., fly 60ft.
Racial Traits: Charisma +2
Damage Vulnerabilities: Radiant
Damage Resistances: fire
Senses: darkvision 60ft.
Languages: Common, telepathy 60ft., and either Infernal or Abyssal

Telepathic Bond: The fiend ignores the range restriction on its telepathy when communicating with a creature it has charmed or its master. The two don't even need to be on the same plane of existence.

Shapechanger: The fiend can use its action to polymorph into a Small or Medium humanoid, or back into its true form. Without wings, the fiend loses its flying speed. Other than its size and speed, its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

Claws (Fiend Form Only): Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + (dex mod) slashing damage.

(Once per long rest) Charm: One humanoid the fiend can see within 30 feet of it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be magically charmed for 1 day. The charmed target obeys the fiend's verbal or telepathic commands. If the target suffers any harm or receives a suicidal command, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on a success. If the target successfully saves against the effect, or if the effect on it ends, the target is immune to this fiend's Charm for the next 24 hours. The fiend can have only one target charmed at a time. If it charms another, the effect on the previous target ends.

Draining Kiss: The fiend kisses a creature charmed by it or a willing or unwilling creature. The target must make a DC (8+prof bonus (if not prof in charisma) +charisma mod) Constitution saving throw (unwilling have advantage) against this magic, taking 1d10 psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The target's hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.
Damage increases to 2d10 at 5th level, 3d10 at 11th level, and 4d10 at 17th level

Racial Feat:

Damage Resistance: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical weapons

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-24, 03:28 PM
Um, you might want to go back to the drawing board with this one. You can't take all the features of a CR4 monster, give them to a PC as racial features and expect it to be remotely balanced...

A 60 ft. flying speed is powerful enough on its own to be the only major feature in a PC race (see EE Aarakocra). As is Shapeshifting (see UA Changeling). As is resistance to basically all damage you'll encounter in the first five levels of the game.

1d6 natural weapons with finesse is also a strong feature, as are all three of the 'magical' things you're offering.

You need to take a long, hard look at the incubus/succubus and decide which of these features is central to the identity of the creature. I would argue that the Shapeshifting is in this category, plus maybe once/day Charm Person as innate spellcasting and 30 ft. flight. And you'd probably have to cut down on the ASIs to fit just those three things...

RavenJovan
2015-10-24, 04:05 PM
Um, you might want to go back to the drawing board with this one. You can't take all the features of a CR4 monster, give them to a PC as racial features and expect it to be remotely balanced...

A 60 ft. flying speed is powerful enough on its own to be the only major feature in a PC race (see EE Aarakocra). As is Shapeshifting (see UA Changeling). As is resistance to basically all damage you'll encounter in the first five levels of the game.

1d6 natural weapons with finesse is also a strong feature, as are all three of the 'magical' things you're offering.

You need to take a long, hard look at the incubus/succubus and decide which of these features is central to the identity of the creature. I would argue that the Shapeshifting is in this category, plus maybe once/day Charm Person as innate spellcasting and 30 ft. flight. And you'd probably have to cut down on the ASIs to fit just those three things...

I realize all of that very well, I'm working on it, its a lot to go with so I am going to try to make a leveling system for it or maybe a feat-like progression...not sure on it though, open to suggestions as always.

RavenJovan
2015-10-25, 01:00 PM

I changed the claw damage up, so there's that, I'm going to look into the changeling thing and see what up, and I made the other resistance and etherealness ability a gained a certain level thing.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-25, 01:08 PM
I changed the claw damage up, so there's that, I'm going to look into the changeling thing and see what up, and I made the other resistance and etherealness ability a gained a certain level thing.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of gaining racial features at higher levels. It doesn't make any sense fluff-wise, and no published race does that so it's impossible to balance.

If you really want to go that way, racial feats are much neater and easier to balance.

RavenJovan
2015-10-25, 01:13 PM
Honestly, I don't like the idea of gaining racial features at higher levels. It doesn't make any sense fluff-wise, and no published race does that so it's impossible to balance.

If you really want to go that way, racial feats are much neater and easier to balance.

How's that? I did the change.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-25, 01:36 PM
How's that? I did the change.

Well, if you intend all of that to be one feat, it's crazy overpowered. I mean, (up to) six castings of a 7th-level spell? Seriously?

I was thinking more like...

Fiendish Vigour
Prerequisite: Incubus/Succubus race

You have strengthened your connection to the Lower Planes, fortifying your body with dark magic and evil rituals. You gain the following benefits:

You gain resistance to all non-magical bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage.
You have advantage on all saving throws against spells or effects that target you because you are a fiend.
If you complete a long rest in one of the lower planes, you gain 5 temporary hit points. Any unused temporary hit points gained from this feature vanish after 8 hours.

Fiendish Magic

You have mastered your innate magical powers, gaining the following benefits:

You can cast Etherealness as a 7th level spell. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again.
You can now cast Charm Person once per short rest. Note: this assumes you change the charm into once/day spellcasting, which I think is a very sensible change.
If you have the ability to cast any other spells (such as from class features or other feats), you may substitute Charisma for whatever spellcasting ability is normally mandated by those features.

Now, those are both overpowered still, but I just threw them together in like 2 minutes to give you an idea of what I mean. You have to break up big, powerful features, and give them some smaller support features.

RavenJovan
2015-10-25, 03:30 PM
Well, if you intend all of that to be one feat, it's crazy overpowered. I mean, (up to) six castings of a 7th-level spell? Seriously?

I was thinking more like...

Fiendish Vigour

You have strengthened your connection to the Lower Planes, fortifying your body with dark magic and evil rituals. You gain the following benefits:

You gain resistance to all non-magical bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage.
You have advantage on all saving throws against spells or effects that target you because you are a fiend.
If you complete a long rest in one of the lower planes, you gain 5 temporary hit points. Any unused temporary hit points gained from this feature vanish after 8 hours.

Fiendish Magic

You have mastered your innate magical powers, gaining the following benefits:

You can cast Etherealness as a 7th level spell. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again.
You can now cast Charm Person once per short rest. Note: this assumes you change the charm into once/day spellcasting, which I think is a very sensible change.
If you have the ability to cast any other spells (such as from class features or other feats), you may substitute Charisma for whatever spellcasting ability is normally mandated by those features.

Now, those are both overpowered still, but I just threw them together in like 2 minutes to give you an idea of what I mean. You have to break up big, powerful features, and give them some smaller support features.

I have cut the Etherealness out completely, and changed the charm ability to once per long rest only.
I think that wraps this up nicely as I have it, but tell me if I missed something.

Korasyl
2015-10-25, 03:33 PM
I have cut the Etherealness out completely, and changed the charm ability to once per long rest only.
I think that wraps this up nicely as I have it, but tell me if I missed something.

Just because I love to read up on mythological creatures and the like, I do have a suggestion?

Based off of what I've read, Incubi and Succubi both gain rejuvenative powers by consuming life energy, whether it be blood, sweat, or other bodily fluids. Perhaps that could be an added feature to this?

RavenJovan
2015-10-25, 03:50 PM
Just because I love to read up on mythological creatures and the like, I do have a suggestion?

Based off of what I've read, Incubi and Succubi both gain rejuvenative powers by consuming life energy, whether it be blood, sweat, or other bodily fluids. Perhaps that could be an added feature to this?

I thought about adding something that when a Incubus/Succubus kills with their draining kiss they take in their soul, which if need be can be broken down into health if they are reduced to 0 hp, they'd regain like half of the original creature's hp.

If not they can simply store the soul and sell or use it at a later date. But that goes back into the soul trade from what was it in...3.5?