PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Presenting the Sage class, my take on the 3.5e Archivist

Verdacy
2015-10-24, 07:09 PM
Hey all, just finished my Sage class (I dislike the name Archivist for a class), and I figured I'd share it all with you here. Hopefully, you can give me some feedback!

Like many of you, I'm sure, I loved the Heroes of Horror core classes from 3.5e. One of my favorite characters was an archivist, which prompted me to create something similar for 5e D&D. This class captures some of the elements of the archivist class, while adding a few ideas of my own. I do want to credit SaintRidley's Archivist for their Still Mind and Divine Mind abilities; they found a direct analog in my class. I also want to credit xyianth for his idea in that same thread: an ability that allows you to cast two spells in a single action. That also became an ability in my class.

I created a fancy little .pdf; it's hosted on my Dropbox. Here's the link:
https:// www .dropbox. com/s/jib5ypdts0vgr3b/Sage.pdf?dl=0

(I apologize. You'll have to remove the spaces... Silly forum's ten post minimum! I want to post content now! :P)

Feel free to use this in any way you see fit!

Note: I own none of the artwork contained in the linked file.

AlchemistAnnie
2015-10-27, 01:18 PM
Hey there, I haven't played in anything other than pathfinder, and 5th edition, but I think this is a really neat class idea. It's got a lot of options that make the class very versatile. I'll admit I'm not very good at figuring out how to balance other classes so they're all equal in power (for lack of a better phrase), but it seems pretty balanced to me. I've been on this site for a while (just made an account so I could post instead of just looking), and I find that most of the classes or races on here are too extreme to be of any real note. By that I mean they're either boring and tasteless, or so over the top and powerful that no respectable dm would allow them at the table. I'm not familiar with the archivist as I've only played 3.5 once and found it a bit too overwhelming. Now I play 5th edition mostly (its so much easier when it's new to get into it). I wish more people would comment so I could see some other opinions on this.

Also, the layout is very well done, it looks professional.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-10-28, 12:58 AM
Hmmmmm. I very much like this. I'd have to run some tests and check with my "D&D-Math" friend, but it looks pretty awesome from my point of view. Good to see another Intelligence class.