PDA

View Full Version : Quick rules advice with natural attacks and iterative attacks

JW86
2015-10-24, 07:50 PM
Hi playgrounders,

I'd like a quick spot of rules advice with 3.5. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to natural attacks...

I have a Feral Half-Fiend Lesser Tiefling Warblade (Terrifying, I know) and would like some help working out the attack routine with his natural attacks.
Character has Str 21, so +5 bonus..

Feral has given him two claws, each dealing 1d8+5 damage. Half-fiend also gives him a secondary natural bite attack for 1d6+5. I'm aware secondary natural attacks are are made at Full BAB but minus 5.

My BAB is +6/+1 (6 levels of Warblade).

So long as my Warblade has his swords sheathed and is fighting with bare claws and teeth, what do his attack and full attack routines look like?

I'm slightly perplexed if having iterative attacks from class level provides extra natural attacks, and if so what the bonus is?

Strength is 21, so +5. At a quick glance, I worked this out as his attack routine..

Attack: Claw +11 (1d8+5)
Full Attack: Claw: +11/+6 (1d8+5) Bite: +6 (1d6+5)

Is this correct, or does the iterative from BAB provide additional attacks, and if so at what bonus?

Many thanks, :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2015-10-24, 07:54 PM
Nope. Natural attacks never gain iteratives (barring very limited circumstances) regardless of what your BAB is. All primary attacks are made at one bonus, all secondary are made at another. Your routine would be:

Attack: Claw +11 (1d8+5)
Full Attack: Claw: +11/+11 (1d8+5) Bite: +6 (1d6+2)

Both claws would be primary, and the bite being secondary would only get 1/2 +str to damage.

Edit: if your BAB was +20, your attack routine would still be:

Attack: Claw +25 (1d8+5)
Full Attack: Claw: +25/+25 (1d8+5) Bite: +20 (1d6+2)

You never gain natural attacks from iteratives.

JW86
2015-10-24, 07:59 PM
Awesome, thanks for the quick answer, Keld Denar :smallcool:

Iku Rex
2015-10-25, 05:26 AM
In addition,

Some creatures combine attacks with natural and manufactured weapons when they make a full attack. When they do so, the manufactured weapon attack is considered the primary attack unless the creature’s description indicates otherwise and any natural weapons the creature also uses are considered secondary natural attacks. These secondary attacks do not interfere with the primary attack as attacking with an off-hand weapon does, but they take the usual -5 penalty (or -2 with the Multiattack feat) for such attacks, even if the natural weapon used is normally the creature’s primary natural weapon.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#manufacturedWeapons

So if you're using a longsword in one hand you could go Longword +11/+6 and Claw +6 and Bite +6.