PDA

View Full Version : D&D and Pathfinder monsters as Gourmet' dishes.

Deadkitten
2015-10-24, 08:55 PM
So I am working on a " master chef" character concept for an upcoming game and I was thinking of having the character be a part of one of the Martial Traditions of Path of War called the "Ordre des Repas Exotiques", which are essentially monster hunting Gourmet' chefs.

Now I absolutely LOVE the fluff behind this Martial tradition and I was wondering if the Playground had any ideas for " Dishes" that could be made out of the various monster that can be encountered in 3.5 and Pathfinder

Vhaidara
2015-10-24, 08:58 PM
Human Flambe, Elf Ear Stew, Dwarf Beard garnish, Gnome's Nose (it's a desert), Orc Tusk Powder, Roast Ogre Feet, and don't forget BBQ Hydra Heads.

Deadkitten
2015-10-24, 09:11 PM
Neat options.

Also as a side note, what diety, if any, from both 3.5 and pathfinder, would such a character worship?

Vhaidara
2015-10-24, 09:15 PM
Well, I know PF has the Four Horsemen as major figures. Famine could work. Or look for anyone with Gluttony in their portfolio.

Kantaki
2015-10-24, 09:16 PM
You can't go wrong with livers. Otherwise? Fried dragonwings, dragonwing soup, dragonwing icecream - with variations for the different types of dragon. Hydra heads can be roasted, nymphs, merfolk and fishpeople should qualify for a nice sushi and dryads are a vegetarian alternative. Preparing a phoenix can be tricky, since you have to keep it alive in the process.

Even normal dishes can be served to goumets if you you use exotic ingrediences like harpy eggs and minotaur or orc meat.

And never forget: A happy costumer will return to become a meal.:smallamused:

twas_Brillig
2015-10-24, 09:18 PM
Dungeon Meshi is a manga that has a lot of fun with this idea. It mixes a lot of D&D tropes with loving described cooking scenes. Might be worth looking into to get some ideas.

Draconium
2015-10-24, 09:22 PM
Fried dragonwings, dragonwing soup, dragonwing icecream - with variations for the different types of dragon.

Please note that these dishes, in particular, are considered delicacies, due to the short-lived nature of those that have to go out and collect the ingredients. Even moreso than the others. :smalltongue:

However, Pickled Dragon's Eye is said to be another one of these delicacies, and is said to grant the consumer enhanced eyesight and better nighttime vision.

Thealtruistorc
2015-10-24, 09:23 PM
Well, I know PF has the Four Horsemen as major figures. Famine could work. Or look for anyone with Gluttony in their portfolio.

If anything this guy should worship a god of the arts (I like Desna). If you so wish you could create a homebrew god that's basically a divine Emeril Lagasse (being both a chef and a combatant will give a new meaning to yelling BAM whenever you finish something).

I like the idea of kraken calamari, or perhaps fried roper. I imagine that most any aberration would be a strange delicacy, and magical beasts could be tasty as well (I would totally eat a manticore at a big dinner).

I assume the tradition gives access to either Thrashing Dragon or Steel Serpent. Either way, I would try and refluff the discipline skill to craft (gourmet meal) or profession (chef).

Vhaidara
2015-10-24, 10:04 PM
It's the steel Serpent tradition. And desna would be a no. Iirc, the tradition involves eating people (by certain definitions of the word people)

Solaris
2015-10-24, 10:06 PM
You can't go wrong with livers.

Oh yes you can (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A). Carnivore livers, especially... and most of the Monster Manual is carnivorous.

elonin
2015-10-24, 10:18 PM
Oh yes you can (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A). Carnivore livers, especially... and most of the Monster Manual is carnivorous.

I've been wanting to play a character who was a chef who prepares the monsters he kills. Mainly thinking more of aberrations and monstrous humanoids. Was planning to make him as small as possible and try to get eaten as much as possible.

twas_Brillig
2015-10-25, 08:53 AM
It's the steel Serpent tradition. And desna would be a no. Iirc, the tradition involves eating people (by certain definitions of the word people)

Huh, I remembered the opposite, but there you go. (doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vX5QKzsOgPVoXqSuKdu_INbPz5x7OAL_qbH2aia14xk/edit?usp=sharing))

As may be expected, the Ordre des Repas Exotiques has a dark reputation amongst sapient monsters. While some of its Chefs would never consume a sapient being, many disagree; even good-aligned chefs might cook a naga they have slain, either to honor its valor or so that its death does not entail senseless waste. Conflicts between the Chefs of the Ordre and such monsters can be especially desperate and savage, and there is little love lost between either side. Curiously, monsters already in the habit of consuming sapient beings - such as dragons - are more sanguine about the entire affair, and are less concerned with the potential fate of their corpse. The Chefs, after all, will not defile it with undeath or other atrocities.

Even so, it depends on the character in question, doesn't it? You could just as easily be a mad molecular gastronomer, obsessed with finding the best food no matter the cost, as a noble gourmet seeking to reform the name of order (diplomacy via hors devours?).

Vhaidara
2015-10-25, 09:03 AM
Okay, that would be my memory failing, then. I hadn't looked in a while, and I guess that was just my gut assumption when I skimmed.

Carry on!

Kantaki
2015-10-25, 09:17 AM

Well, if you eat the entire liver raw that might be a problem. But the right preperation method should help a bit and since we talk about delicacies the portions should already be as small as possible.
Not to mention that there are enough people who would pay more for a little risk in their meal. I mean fugu is poisonous too and it still gets eaten.
A kind of meat that can only be aquired under incredible risks, that you can only eat a small amount of a few times per year and that might kill you if something went wrong in the kitchen? I'm pretty sure you will find some people who will pay for the privilege to eat that.

Mehangel
2015-10-25, 10:27 AM
I am actually surprised that Gelatinous Cubes have not been mentioned earlier..

Uncle Pine
2015-10-25, 11:01 AM
I am actually surprised that Gelatinous Cubes have not been mentioned earlier..

I'm surprised that Illithid Savant hasn't been proposed as the chef yet.

stack
2015-10-25, 01:52 PM
Don't forget: just about anything can go in a sausage.

NapazTrix
2015-10-25, 03:14 PM
Rust Monster Caviar.
You eat my stuff, I eat your children

Elricaltovilla
2015-10-25, 06:30 PM

That sounds like it should be a Discworld quote.

You should consider making your cookware from deceased inedible monsters, like golems. Why stop with just the food?

stack
2015-10-25, 06:37 PM
That sounds like it should be a Discworld quote.

You should consider making your cookware from deceased inedible monsters, like golems. Why stop with just the food?

It very well could be the echo of a Pratchett line rattling around my skull.

DrMotives
2015-10-25, 06:42 PM
From the 2nd Edition monster entry for Fhorge:
Roast Fhorgling with Garlic and Pepper

Take one young fhorge, cleaned and dressed, and season liberally with crushed black pepper. Stuff body cavity with onions, garlic bulbs, and hot peppers. Skewer and set over a medium fire for 4 to 6 hours. Turn every half hour, brushing with melted butter or herb-infused oil. Brush powdered garlic and black pepper into the meat each time it’s turned – use a good stiff brush. The fhorgling’s done when the juices run clear when the thickest part of the meat (usually the haunch) is pricked with a dagger, and the skin is cracked and browned.

In 3e, these guys are in the Fiend Folio. I assume the recipe will still hold up.

Solaris
2015-10-25, 08:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that's how you make hot dogs.

GungHo
2015-10-27, 01:47 PM
I've done this. It's lots of fun. Same for going to extreme locations for extreme ingredients. Even if you can't eat it without psionic protection, what king wouldn't want to show off Aboleth caviar served cold the spinal discs of an old white wyrm slain on his birthday?

Psyren
2015-10-27, 02:10 PM
Since you're going this route, be sure to grab Potion Glutton. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/potion-glutton)

nolongerchaos
2015-10-27, 03:57 PM
I'm a little surprised that the Big T hasn't been mentioned yet. Dangerously* exotic, and self replenishing!

*or "dangerously" exotic, depeding on optimization I suppose.

the_david
2015-10-27, 06:40 PM
Sunless Citadel mentions elf pudding in a goblin lair. When I asked Bruce Cordell on twitter, he confirmed that it was indeed pudding made of elves, not pudding made by elves.
An alcoholic beverage known as orc rotgut was mentioned in Rise of the Runelords.
The Sixfold Trial describes an entire feast with several dishes such as roasted dire boar and living snakes. (It also described one of the guests wearing the pelt of a dead celestial. Classy!)

Milo v3
2015-10-27, 09:39 PM
Link to my (very short) thread of this a few years ago. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?180257-Post-your-favorite-recipes-involving-any-core-3-5-creature)